The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Forum Poll: The Best Albums and Songs of 1983

As excited as I was to see an obscure Frank Zappa album get one additional point, it looks like poster Ze did not actually give one point to The Man From Utopia, like the spreadsheet says.

I really don't mean to be extra super picky, but with all this information coming into you, there might be certain mistakes that come up and I just want to make you aware of them. As this year's list show, one point can make all the difference!

Every year there are bound to be a few mistakes, and I really appreciate that some of you look through the list and point them out. Perfection is important, after all.

Corrected both mistakes.

haha, doh, i didn't get to see it. were nj and i somehow conflated? and did i somehow vote for swans? that is rather amusing

yes, you were soooo swanalicious, Greg, you wouldn't believe it yourselve. too bad I didn't make a screenshot of this spreadsheet... (obnoxiously exaggerating, but still bewitched by the reborn kiddie beast in mr. maurer, nj)

ps: Stephan, I don't want to emphasize it again, but... the work that you put in that project is admirable, some mistakes however remain, well.. adorable...

The only one this time I don't either have or dislike is Speaking In Tongues. Maybe I'll pick that up. Also might have to pick up Porcupine just because I like Crocodiles and Ocean Rain.

Every breath you take, I'll be stalking you...

(Seriously. Imagine singing that song from behind a telescope.)

Greg: I attributed every album from netjade's list to your name unless netjade and you both picked the same album (which was twice, I believe) so you had 38 entries and netjade had 2. Didn't make a difference for the score, just a little weird. And thanks netjade.

The Bob Dylan and Billy Bragg songs become the first two to advance that I've never heard
How can so many people have that anthology with 'Blind Willie McTell' on it? It costs loads

It's only $20. Dylan (2007 compilation, around the same price), The Essential Bob Dylan (Australia/NZ release only, around $14 on amazon I think) both have the song as well.

I was sooooooooo close to give Madonna one or two points...

Stephan, my 18 points in the song poll went to Depeche Mode's "The Great Outdoors" and not Cocteau Twins' "In the Gold Dust Rush".

I'm glad I got this extra opportunity to write about Depeche Mode and the B-sides of their singles. Everyone seemed to collect Depeche Mode's "extra material" in the '80s. My guess is that no other band has sold more maxi-singles (at least in Sweden). The B-sides show a less commercial, more experimental side of Depeche Mode, with some songs ("Now This Is Fun", "In Your Memory") that get you wonder how it's possible to put so many rhythms and sounds together at the same time, while other songs are dark instrumentals (e.g. "Christmas Island"). But my favourite of them all is "The Great Outdoors" (the flipside of "Get the Balance Right"), which sounds like a barrel-organ blended with some dark and weird (i.e. wonderful) sounds.

You're welcome. And that is one strange error, I wonder why I did that..

Sorry to be picking without saying thanks.

Heh, no problem. I meant "You're welcome" in response to the "I'm glad I got this opportunity" sentence.

1 2