The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
New game: a yearly chart on a daily basis

I hope you've not become tired of games/polls yet...I just got an idea of a new game that is a bit complicated but I think it could be a lot of fun.

We could pretend that this is a daily radio show with a top 10 list based on listeners' votes. However, in this game the outcome each day is decided by only one forum member, and the contenders for the list are the AM top 10 songs from each year.

The first year with 10 songs at AM is 1951 and I'm gonna use 1951-1952 as an example of the game and then we can continue with 1953 and take one year per day until we're at year 2007. At the end we'll see which song was the final winner, the longest runner, spent most time at no. 1, etc.

OK, so the 1951 list is as follows:
1. Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88
2. Elmore James - Dust My Broom
3. Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High the Moon
4. Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin'
5. Hank Williams - Cold, Cold Heart
6. Johnnie Ray - Cry
7. Lefty Frizzell - Always Late (with Your Kisses)
8. Bud Powell - Un Poco Loco
9. Billy Ward & The Dominos - Sixty Minute Man
10. Earl Bostic - Flamingo

Now, let's say that someone who is 100% correlated with AM makes the next vote. With the top 10 songs from 1952 as the new contenders we get:
1 (1) (2 years) Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88
2 (-) (NEW) Lloyd Price - Lawdy Miss Clawdy
3 (-) (NEW) Hank Williams - I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive
4 (2) (2 years) Elmore James - Dust My Broom
5 (3) (2 years) Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High the Moon
6 (4) (2 years) Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin'
7 (-) (NEW) Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels
8 (5) (2 years) Hank Williams - Cold, Cold Heart
9 (-) (NEW) Jimmy Forrest - Night Train
10 (6) (2 years) Johnnie Ray - Cry

Now my plan is this: The eligible songs for the next round are the 10 songs above plus the AM top 10 songs from 1953. Next person to present a new top 10 is the first person who (in this thread) says he/she wants to make the next vote. Then he/she makes the vote on the following day, so that there's time for some debate about the upcoming results.

I hope someone knows these years (1951-1953) reasonably well and wants to make the first real step of this game. Otherwise we may jump ahead a few years.

Please continue with the template above, i.e.
Position (Last position) (Number of years on list) Artist - Song
A comment to the vote is also appreciated.

One little rule: You are not allowed to vote 2 years in a row.
This rule may be adjusted (for example only one vote per decade) during the game depending on the number of people who are interested in voting.

Re: New game: a yearly chart on a daily basis

Nice idea. How far ahead can one book years? Do I have to wait for tomorrow to sign up for 1954, following Nicolas' request for '53? If I can, I'd like to sign up now.

Rune, good idea to book years in advance! But I think it should only be possible to book the first available year. Also, a person can only book one year at a time.

Note that even if you have booked a year a long time ago, there should be one day between your presentation and the previous list.

So Rune has taken 1954. Who's up for 1955?

I'm dying to start. Why aren't anyone else showing this any attention?

I'm definitely in, although I don't know too much about the songs of 1956. But I'll find them! Unless someone else would really like to do 1956 of course.

Silly me, I just had an actual look at the songs and it shouldn't be a problem. Quite a good year in fact. I'll take 1956.

Jeez, I can't read at all today. 55 is fine too.

Maybe someone should have been starting at 1951. What Henrik wrote was just an example, wasn't it?

I'd like to stick with my booking. I've been partying like it's 1954 all day.

What year should I take? Is there one missing to start it off or should I take something else?

I'm not understanding the rules totally either...can we choose any song from that year or do we have to stick to the AM top 10?

John, 1956 is free if you like.

I was thinking only top 10. I guess it's not too late to change the rules, but free choices among all songs from each year is probably not a good option in this case, as everyone would then always pick their favorites from the new year.

56 it is. That makes sense. Is there a reason we have to wait a day to start the next year?

I did not think of the possibility to book years in advance, and I wanted to make sure that it would not be a total mess with several people posting at the same time.

Also, I wanted to build up a radio show feeling, with scheduled airplay and a limited list of eligible songs to vote for.

To sum it up a little.

1953 nicolas
1954 Rune
1955 Stephan
1956 John
1957 ?
1958 ?
1959 ?
...and so on

This is a great idea Henrik, you can count me in. I think the format is great but if you wanted to include other song choices you could have the person who is up choose one wild card pick from the remaining acclaimed songs (including bubbling unders?)of their year. This song in effect would be #11 and wouldn't count for points (if you are assigning a point system) and the next person up could choose to move this song up or drop it. This would keep people from top loading a favorite song. But like I said the original format sounds fine.

Also I would prefer 1958 but you can pencil me in for '57 if noone else wants it.

What we should do is have the order at the beginning be the order for the rest if someone wants in you can just slide them into the next spot. That way it's completely random especially if other people join in the next week or so and everybody gets to participate. Just an idea.

I'll come back when I see it in action - see how it works

Hi, this is DJ Nicolas on WWAM.

Let's start with the first chart with 1951, 1952 and 1953 songs.

number 10 today is a new entry :

10. (-)(NEW) Webb Pierce - There stands the glass

a very Hank Williams-influenced honky-tonk piece with very countyish lyrics and great melody. Excellent cover by Californian folk singer Ted Hawkins in the 1990s.

Well chosen sir!

The last e-mail was from me, not nicolas, I accidentally typed his name thinking I was replying to him. Not enough sleep.

Anyway, great pick!

Number 9 is also a new entry from 1953.

This vocal group from Baltimore was one of the first to sing for black audiences, and was one of the doo-wop style pioneers. This gospel tune arranged with harmonies was both their swan song and their biggest hit; They indeed had their peak at the end of the '40s but a tragic car accident killed one of the funding members and crippled another.
The Elvis Presley cover is very famous.

9. (-) (NEW) Orioles – Crying In The Chapel

Wow nicolas, you've immediately taken this game to heights I never imagined!!!!!!!

I doubt that the first ten years will cause any fights! But later on there the DJ might get a lot of "How could you"s...

Let's go back to country with this next number by the king of the era, the singer that just set the genre standards for the years to come, I named Hank Williams, the father of contemporary country, a superstar at 25, dead at 29, and with a happy song going back to 1951.
I love his happy songs (this one but also MOve it On Over or Jambalaya, my two favorites)

8 (6) (3 years) Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin'

the video is not of high quality, but you can see him singing

What's very noticeable is that you can really see that the most of Acclaimed Music sources come from rock critics : the pre-1954 period is seen with a rock point of view : in 1953, the 3 first songs are originals that were covered by Elvis.

Now, let's go back to our chart, with spot #7 and the first representant of the crescent City with a NO R&B classic.

(7) (2) (2 years) Lloyd price - Lawdy Miss Clawdy

Unfortunately, no Youtube but it's on Songza (I dunno how to post a Songza link, sorry)

Welcome back to 1953, just before the Big Bang, back when the world of music was predictable and styles and audiences well separated (like today ?)

All these musics were the modelling clay with which rock and roll was built.

The next song has an interesting story. Sung by a lady who became the first queen of country music ever.
She made a name for herself with this subtle JD Miller song that borrowed a very popular tune in country music that was known since the Carter Family and was first made popular with the Roy Acuff version of "The Great Speckled Bird".

But most of all "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" was an answer to Hank Thompson's "Wild Side of Life", a song published a few monthe before in 1952 in which the singer blamed his wife for leaving him for another man.

The Kitty Wells song protests against the image of women pictured in the cheating songs. This song (which was the first nb 1 country hit sung by a woman) gave wells this women's lib reputation while her other tracks were much more conventional in the best tradition of the faithful and domestic wife.

Johnny Cash on the Folsom Prison album borrows the tune for a funny song called "Flushed From The Bathroom of Your Heart"

So,

6 (7) (2 years) Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels

"But later on there the DJ might get a lot of "How could you"s..."

Just like a real radio station! I'm a music director at a radio station and I know the calls I received when I slightly changed the format of the station. So that's perfect!

Time for the end of the chart, but I don't know if there are many listeners...

No more than Elvis, Ike Turner didn’t invent rock’n roll. This song is not the first rnr song, as Sam Philips allegedly claimed. Because there never was any first rock’n roll song. The beat was old as the world, or rather old as cotton-picking, as the sound of the first trains, as the boogie.

So what’s different with “Rocket 88” ? It’s a boogie in the Louis Jordan way, but with a saturated electric guitar doubling the riff made by Ike Turner’s left hand on his piano.

here is a cool wikipedia article about the song with all you need to know about it

So, we have

5 (1) (3 years) Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88

I'm still listening DJ Nic! Excellent presentation.

Who cares about 1951-53 ? I do.

Next song is a song recorded on Atlantic by a NO monument : the great pianist professor longhair. Along with "Mardi Gras In New Orleans", "Tipitina" is his best song.
The 1953 version is far less good than a 1974 one I have, a little bit slower, so it is only number 4.

4 (-)(NEW) Professor Longhair -Tipitina

you're lucky : on Youtube they only have this fabulous live veideo very close to the 1974 interpretation
is there anything more joyful than this song ?

I'm following this show quite closely too, as I'm up for the role as a DJ tomorrow. Nice work, brother Nicolas.

Number 3 is a singer I've already introduced : the great Hank Williams Sr with this song that was later covered by ray Charles

3 (-) (NEW) Hank Williams - Your Cheatin' Heart

Great song

Hello? WWAM? Yes, I'd like to make a request for Clyde McPhatter and the Drifters song Money Honey. Thanks!

That's a fantastic song nicolas, and I had never heard it before. It is indeed very joyful. I'll go play it again now.

That was referring to Tipitina.

They were # 11. Sorry...

Number 2 is a song that surprised me. I had forgotten how good it is. that's why I put it so high

The guitar part is great, voice too. and it is one of the first leiber/Stroller hits.

2(-)(NEW) Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog

They [Lieber and Stoller] were just a couple of kids then and they had this song written on a paper bag," Thornton told a columnist in New York City, claimed Stambler. "So I started to sing the words and join in some of my own. All that talkin' and hollerin'--that's my own."
by Ed Decker

I've heard about this station WWAM. They have a DJ there that really knows his stuff...

Honestly nicolas, I admire your great knowledge and taste a lot.

from me!

Time for number one...

You know I'm a blues fanatic. So it won't be a surprise if the number one tonight is one of the biggest blues standards ever, going back to the 1930's (Leroy Carr ""I Believe I'll Make a Change", 1934), (Kokomo Arnold "Sagefield Woman Blues", 1936), and then Robert Johnson (november 1936) who gave this song its title and its standard form.

Then, after two more versions by Johnson protégé Robert Jr Lockwood and Mississippi bluesman Arthur crudup, there is this 1951 Trumpet Records session in Jackson, Mississippi.

The star of that session was Sonny Boy Williamson II (one of the greatest bluesmen, you should see him on youtube). He had brought with him a bunch of other Delta bluesmen including a young and very nervous man named Elmore James.
Let AMG tell the rest of the story :

"Nervous and unsure of his abilities as a recording artist, Elmore was surreptitiously recorded by Lillian McMurray of Trumpet Records at the tail end of a Sonny Boy session doing his now-signature tune, "Dust My Broom." Legend has it that James didn't even stay around long enough to hear the playback, much less record a second side."

The song is awesome : the famous Robert Johnson riff on the slide guitar is played on a saturated guitar with sheer intensity and doubled by Sonny Boy's very distinctive harmonica.
Elmore gave everything he had in each recording. That's the blues.

Trumpet had to put another guy's song on the B-side and the outcome surprised everyone : a massive R&B hit !

Youtube is a great site. i was really afraid they wouldn't have that version. They have it.

1. (4) (3 years) Elmore James - Dust My Broom

Nic, you're my hero, man

awesome stuff

i hope everyone appreciates this as much as i do

Great work. A couple of questions for tomorrow's show. Should I keep posting in this thread, or should I start a new one? If I start a new one, it'll make more sense reposting the links for the surviving songs. If I continue down below here, reposting songs would seem unnecessary, and the "radio show feeling" may be gone.

So, the complete list for you Rune

1(4)(3 years) Elmore James - Dust My Broom
2(-)(NEW) Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog
3 (-) (NEW) Hank Williams - Your Cheatin' Heart
4 (-)(NEW) Professor Longhair -Tipitina
5 (1) (3 years) Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88
6 (7) (2 years) Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels
7 (2) (2 years) Lloyd price - Lawdy Miss Clawdy
8 (6) (3 years) Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin'
9 (-) (NEW) Orioles – Crying In The Chapel
10 (-)(NEW) Webb Pierce - There Stands the Glass

Thank you, and now it's time to say goodnight

I'll leave you with Sonny Boy williamson II in 1963 during the American Folk Blues Festival in East Berlin

and one of my favorite blues songs of 1951, an instrumental by Big Bill Broonzy, "Hey Hey"

Good bye and good luck to you Rune !

Fantastic job nicolas.

Nicolas, I really enjoyed that. Forgot about the greatness of Big Mama Thornton's version of Hound Dog.

For those who saw the Sonny Boy video : you'll recognize on the guitar, Matt Guitar Murphy, the same guy who plays the guitar in the Blues Brothers Band (Aretha's cook husband in the movie).
On the piano : the great Otis Spann.

I don't know what I like the most in the Broonzy vid : the tune, his hands (they are HUGE)or the guitar (looks like an '50s OM Martin)

And the SBW flick was made in Hamburg, not East Berlin

Once again, great job nicolas!

I'm not sure whether we should continue in this thread or start a new thread every day/year. Do you think it would be reasonably easy to search through the many hundred posts in this thread if each year is highlighted like this?

Gooooooood moooooooorning! It's a new day, and a new year. I'm happy this isn't how things work out here in real life. We've got a great show for you, with some new songs, and some songs you already know. Enjoy!

We'll start with a song that did very well on Nicolas' list. He played it yesterday, so I don't have to today. If you still would like to hear it again, scroll up to his number 1:

10. (1) (4 years) Elmore James - Dust My Broom[/b]

damn it. How do you make BOLD letters?

Big jump down for Elmore! But he's still hanging around.

Great early start of the new countdown, Rune!

You have to use different brackets to make text bold. I don't know what they're called, but they have only one corner...

They're called angle brackets I believe. I had a good idea, if everyone marks their songs with [a name="Songtitle"]Songtitle[/a] near the top, we can refer to them with [a href="#Songtitle"]Songtitle[/a] in later posts. I just tested this, and it works. You'll have to replace the square brackets for angle brackets of course though.

Welcome back to the show. It's a beautiful afternoon, the sun is shining, and the DJ has changed brake pads on his car today, for the first time. What a feeling! Also, I have run a 3,8 km long run, big thanks to Schleuse for giving me the idea of running. Still a way to go for that marathon, though. However, this is a music show, and boy, is there a new star shining up above. His name is Elvis Presley, and he's all right (mama).

9.(-)(NEW) Elvis Presley - That's All Right (Mama)

The dinner bells are calling, but before we take a break there's time enough for number eight, which is debuting on this list as well. It's a great doo wop tune, and the only hit this band ever scored. Check back later for more golden melodies.

8.(-)(NEW) The Chords - Sh-Boom

Great idea for a new game, Henrik! (although I didn’t understand completely the rules at first sight).
And great presentation, Nicolas and Rune!!
But I think I’ll wait to play the DJ part till the last 60s or first 70s (maybe 1972).

Welcome back. Didn't you just love those harmonies? Just back from making dinner, or rather some evening snack. In my house, I'm making the all the food. Wouldn't want to eat burnt food. I'll continue with a song that has survived from Nicolas' list. It's a well-known song, and need no further introduction:

7.( (4 years) Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin'

Scroll up to hear the song.

Now the dinner is in my stomach, where a good dinner ought to be. I have to correct the statement I made in the last post. My girlfriend doesn't burn all the food. She makes a nice salad.

This next golden oldie is probably more famous by other artists, or at least it has been done by more famous musicians, such as Leadbelly, Johnny Cash and Bobby Darin. Oh, and it's new to this list.

6.(-)(NEW) Lonnie Donegan - Rock Island Line

Keep 'em coming Rune.

I hope some of you are following us today. We're only half way through the list, but I think we'll speed up a little from now on.

The fifth place is a survivor from last year/yesterday, and up from 10th place then. It's a magnificent song, which always makes me think of a piece of art I once saw. I can't tell you which one, because I don't remember the name of the painting or the artist. And you will probably never see it either, as it was painted by an amateur painter in my hometown. It wasn't even any good, but this song is. Once again, scroll up to hear it.

5.(10)(2 years) Webb Pierce - There Stands the Glass

Rock Island line : that's a Leadbelly song !

And "There stands rhe glass" id a real gem
I was just singing it on the guitar and trying to find a proper guitar accompaniment before I looked in the forum

Now it's time for all of you lovers out there to go get your little woman, be it wife of girlfriend, take her hand, look deep into her eyes and press play on this youtube video underneath her. Keep that look tender and sensitive, and if her eyes don't melt there's something wrong with one of you.

4.(-)(NEW) The Penguins - Earth Angel

Actually, I wanted her knees to melt. Melting eyes are just disgusting.

We're the the top three, and the next song has already been played for you. Once again, it's a song which is more famous with a different singer, but this one really is the best. Nicolas played it yesterday.

3.(2)(2 years) Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog

That's really a great song !

Who said pre-1965 music was stupid ?

He'll feel stupid after listening to our posts !

this music is great, simple and full of life !

Big Mama Thornton is really cool, I think she will become an AM darling now! Who will dare to take her off the list?

Rune, both the food and the music is well served!

Stupid people say pre '65 music is stupid. These songs are great in every way. They're probably not for everybody's taste, but they're certainly not stupid.

I have a theory on stupidity. Human intelligence is constant, it's just the population of the earth that grows. That's probably one reason morons keep banging on about rubbish music.

The last but one song I'm presenting was played yesterday as well. Nicolas probably said some wellthought words about, so I won't. I just like it a lot.

2. (6) (3 years) Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels

Any requests for the number 1 spot? Just kidding! DJ means Dictator Jockey tonight!

It's time for me to park the Flying DeLorean, and give the keys to.. well.. someone, but I have to give you my number one as well. I really wanted to have a new song at the top, but there just wasn't a '54 song good enough to take that spot. Easily, Hank Williams gets his second song on this list.

1.(3)(2 years) Hank Williams - Your Cheatin' Heart

You've been a wonderful audience, I've been a wonderful host! Thanks for listening. I'll end tonight's show with my favorite Hank Williams song. Good night, good people.

What? No Rock Around the Clock????

Well that Hank Williams song ("Alone and Forsaken") was fantastic. How come it isn't on his "40 Greatest Hits"? The production is amazing, he almost sounds like Johnny Cash on this song! Rune, what record is this song taken from?

Oh, and thanks for the show!

good night Rune!
many thanks
Great show and great chart !

Rune - Glad to see you step up the honky tonk a few notches!

Yeah, I'm glad he stepped "there stands ", because it is growing on me

Just a small question, can I re-enter songs that were in nicolas' list but not in Rune's?

Ti-pi-teeeenaahhh!!!!

Stephan, that was not in my plan. If re-entries are always allowed then there will be hundred of songs to choose between in the end, and then this game would have become too unpredictable. But perhaps one re-entry per song could be allowed. What do others think?

Unless you are very enthusiastic about re-entries, they are not allowed.

you mean one re-entry per chart ?
Sounds like a good idea to me

No re-entries! That's the fun of the game, it's like our own oldies station where each day is a few years passed and we'll see what songs stand the test of time. Reentry would ruin the whole idea of the game.

I'm fine with no re-entries, but that leads me to another question; what about songs that haven't been on anyone's list? So if something from 1953 wasn't on a list can I put it on mine now? Or only songs of Rune's top 10 + songs from 1955?

Last year's chart looked like this

1. (3) (2 years) Hank Williams - Your Cheatin' Heart
2. (6) (3 years) Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels
3. (2) (2 years) Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog
4. (-) (NEW) The Penguins - Earth Angel
5. (10) (2 years) Webb Pierce - There Stands the Glass
6. (-) (NEW) Lonnie Donegan - Rock Island Line
7. (8) (4 years) Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin'
8. (-) (NEW) The Chords - Sh-Boom
9. (-) (NEW) Elvis Presley - That's All Right (Mama)
10. (1) (4 years) Elmore James - Dust My Broom

Eliminated:
Professor Longhair - Tipitina
Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88
Lloyd price - Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Orioles – Crying In The Chapel

Never made it:
Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock
Big Joe Turner - Shake, Rattle and Roll
Muddy Waters - Hoochie Coochie Man
Elvis Presley - Blue Moon of Kentucky
Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine
Guitar Slim - The Things That I Used to Do

And now its time for

Well my plan was only songs of Rune's top 10 + AM top 10 songs from 1955.

I hope you're OK with this.

Henrik -

According to allmusic.com, Alone and Forsaken was first on an album called I'm Blue Inside, from 1961. I really don't know the story of this song. God only knows why this song wasn't on that compilation album, and why it remains so unknown. It's a beautiful song.

Alright. That's too bad, no "Singin' In The Rain" , but understandable. I'll go edit my list a bit.

Welcome to another broadcast of WWAM. Throughout today we're gonna listen to some true classics. 1955 in my opinion is one of the best years of the '50s, if not the very best, so I'm honored to be hosting today's show. We'll start off with a song from 1954 from a group that had only one top 40 hit, but it was a big one. Covered countless times, but it never sounded as good as what the Penguins did in 1954. Rune has introduced it already yesterday, so just scroll up for the youtube video.

10. (4) (2 years) The Penguins - Earth Angel (1954)

Stephan, if you had told me that it was "Singin' in the Rain" you wanted to include, I would have given you a wild card!

Haha, thanks, but the rules are the rules. I just love that song, always makes me happy. In fact, when I feel down, putting in the DVD and forwarding to that scene is one of the few things that are bound to cheer me up.

Rather than allowing re-entries, I'm thinking that the list could be extended when we get to the 60s and the 70s. (Many charts have "grown" over the years, haven't they?) I don't think there should be more than 10 new challengers per year though.

This way, every song will have a bigger chance of surviving at least one year.

So John will take care of the 1956 update and Stammer wants 1958. Anyone else interested?

You are certainly welcome to present more than 1 year, although I can of course understand if nicolas and Rune wants to take a rest - you deserve it!

I can of course book a year myself, but if others are interested in DJ-ing, I'm happy to be in some kind of substitute role.

You're the real host of the show, we're all just guest-hosts.

Time for another oldie, one of the two songs that have made the lists of all my fellow guest-DJs. Finally introduced into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2001, this is probably my favorite song from Hank Williams.

9. (7) (5 YEARS) Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin' (1951)

Our first new entry today was written by Junior Parker and Sam Phillips and originally performed by Little Junior's Blue Flames. It seems that every song we come across here has dozens of covers, and this song is no exception. It's been covered, among others, by Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, The Band, The Doors and of course.. The King. "There's a train comin' down the line, and it's bringin' my baby cause she's all mine."

8. (-) (NEW) Elvis Presley - Mystery Train (1955

Sh-boom, sh-boom, the first doo-wop song to make it into the top 10 of the pop charts. They drop one spot from their 7th position yesterday.

7. ( (2 years) The Chords - Sh-Boom (1954)

Err.. they climb 1 spot from their 8th position yesterday.

Stephan, I have nothing against any song from this era, which actually makes it a bit difficult to comment on your list. But I eagerly awaits the rest of the show!

Go Mama Go Mama...

Who will dare take her off the list, you ask? Not me! Although I seem to be in the minority liking Elvis' version better, this song is just fantastic regardless of which artists performs it. Except for Lennon, that was just ghastly (mainly due to Yoko Ono).

6. (3) (3 years) Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog (1953)

Nice clairvoyance there Netjade.

During a frustrating recording session Little Richard started pounding on the piano and singing a song he "had polished in gay clubs across the South". And the rest, as they say, is history. "Womp-bomp-a-loom-op-a-womp-bam-bom!"

And the video including some crazy and somewhat less talented dancers:

5. (-) (NEW) Little Richard - Tutti Frutti (1955)

Today's last song that has been introduced by another DJ, once more, Elvis Presley! That's right, the top 3 are all from 1955; I told you it was a great year. Scroll up for a great youtube video of this song.

4. (9) (2 years) Elvis Presley - That's All Right (Mama) (1954)

I'm hoping I've Got A Woman and Sixteen Tons are up there.

Buck Ram managed today's #10 group The Penguins after their one-hit-wonder Earth Angel and saw little success. With The Platters he did much better and produced several hit songs. For this song he wrote the music, the lyrics, produced the song and managed the band.

3. (-) (NEW) The Platters - The Great Pretender (1955)

I love "The Great Pretender"
I don't know if there are singers on this forum but these '50s songs are a pleasure to sing

"Twilight Time" - especially since that X-Files episode

I just like singing the "do do do do" part in Great Pretender.

Muddy Waters and Bo Diddley both released their version of Mannish Boy/I'm A Man in 1955, and I felt it would be a waste of a space to include both even though they both deserve it. After some consideration, and playing both songs several times, I decided to pick Muddy Waters.. it's just a little bit better in almost every aspect.

This excellent live version from 1971, even though it loads very slow for me, is possibly even better than the original. Enjoy:

2. (-) (NEW) Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy (1955)

1 2