Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New game: A yearly chart on a daily basis

I hope you've not become tired of games/polls yet...I just got an idea of a new game that is a bit complicated but I think it could be a lot of fun.

We could pretend that this is a daily radio show with a top 10 list based on listeners' votes. However, in this game the outcome each day is decided by only one forum member, and the contenders for the list are the AM top 10 songs from each year.

The first year with 10 songs at AM is 1951 and I'm gonna use 1951-1952 as an example of the game and then we can continue with 1953 and take one year per day until we're at year 2008. At the end we'll see which song was the final winner, the longest runner, spent most time at no. 1, etc.

OK, so the 1951 list is as follows:
1. Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88
2. Elmore James - Dust My Broom
3. Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High the Moon
4. Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin'
5. Hank Williams - Cold, Cold Heart
6. Johnnie Ray - Cry
7. Lefty Frizzell - Always Late (with Your Kisses)
8. Bud Powell - Un Poco Loco
9. Billy Ward & The Dominos - Sixty Minute Man
10. Earl Bostic - Flamingo

Now, let's say that someone who is 100% correlated with AM makes the next vote. With the top 10 songs from 1952 as the new contenders we get:
1 (1) <2 years> Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88
2 (-) Lloyd Price - Lawdy Miss Clawdy
3 (-) Hank Williams - I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive
4 (2) <2 years> Elmore James - Dust My Broom
5 (3) <2 years> Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High the Moon
6 (4) <2 years> Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin'
7 (-) Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels
8 (5) <2 years> Hank Williams - Cold, Cold Heart
9 (-) Jimmy Forrest - Night Train
10 (6) <2 years> Johnnie Ray - Cry

Now my plan is this: The eligible songs for the next round are the 10 songs above plus the AM top 10 songs from 1953. Next person to present a new top 10 is the first person who (in this thread) says he/she wants to make the next vote. Then he/she makes the vote on the following day, so that there's time for some debate about the upcoming results.

I hope someone knows these years (1951-1953) reasonably well and wants to make the first real step of this game. Otherwise we may jump ahead a few years.

Please continue with the template above, i.e.
Position (Last position) Artist - Song
A comment to the vote is also appreciated.

One little rule: You are not allowed to vote 2 years in a row.
This rule may be adjusted (for example only one vote per decade) during the game depending on the number of people who are interested in voting.

Re: New game: A yearly chart on a daily basis

I'm trying to post again with "Disable Smilies", as some information in brackets was lost.

I hope you've not become tired of games/polls yet...I just got an idea of a new game that is a bit complicated but I think it could be a lot of fun.

We could pretend that this is a daily radio show with a top 10 list based on listeners' votes. However, in this game the outcome each day is decided by only one forum member, and the contenders for the list are the AM top 10 songs from each year.

The first year with 10 songs at AM is 1951 and I'm gonna use 1951-1952 as an example of the game and then we can continue with 1953 and take one year per day until we're at year 2008. At the end we'll see which song was the final winner, the longest runner, spent most time at no. 1, etc.

6. Johnnie Ray - Cry

Now, let's say that someone who is 100% correlated with AM makes the next vote. With the top 10 songs from 1952 as the new contenders we get:

Now my plan is this: The eligible songs for the next round are the 10 songs above plus the AM top 10 songs from 1953. Next person to present a new top 10 is the first person who (in this thread) says he/she wants to make the next vote. Then he/she makes the vote on the following day, so that there's time for some debate about the upcoming results.

I hope someone knows these years (1951-1953) reasonably well and wants to make the first real step of this game. Otherwise we may jump ahead a few years.

This rule may be adjusted (for example only one vote per decade) during the game depending on the number of people who are interested in voting.

Huh? Trying without "Disable Smilies" then...

I'm trying to post again with "Disable Smilies", as some information in brackets got lost.

6. Johnnie Ray - Cry

Testing, testing...

6. Johnnie Ray - Cry

1 (1) (2 years) Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88
2 (-) (NEW) Lloyd Price - Lawdy Miss Clawdy
3 (-) (NEW) Hank Williams - I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive
4 (2) (2 years) Elmore James - Dust My Broom
5 (3) (2 years) Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High the Moon
6 (4) (2 years) Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin'
7 (-) (NEW) Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels
8 (5) (2 years) Hank Williams - Cold, Cold Heart
9 (-) (NEW) Jimmy Forrest - Night Train
10 (6) (2 years) Johnnie Ray - Cry

Position (Last position) (Number of years on list) Artist - Song

I know these years pretty well so I'm a candidate for day 1 (unless somebody else wants to do it)

If I understood it well, I have to add songs from the 1953 list to the 1951-52 but I have to respect the 1953 rating order, am I right ?

My other question : can we wait until tomorrow because now I'm at my office and tonight I've got a family dinner at home so I won't be able to listen to all the songs (I have a lot of them in my comupter) ?
Unless somecbody wants to do '53 today so I'll do '54 tomorrow..

nicolas, great that you're joining in! Since I messed things up I started a new thread. However, to answer your questions...

1. I'd like you to pick your 10 favorites from the 20 songs (the eligible candidates are the 10 from 1951/1952 and the AM top 10 from 1953) and you should rank them according to your own preference.

2. I want to wait 'til tomorrow! Then the rest of us can have a few hours to discuss what we think will happen.