The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our favorite song not in the songs poll

One little suggestion.

Let's post here our favorite song thta wasn't included in the songs poll, with a Youtube link.
Youtube links are very easy to post.
You jusy have to copy/paste the code on the right in the "about this video" box.
But please : everybody posts ONE song.

Re: Our favorite song not in the songs poll

Do you mean our favorite song not in the overall top 200? Or top 500?

My absolutely favorite song ever.

And I love the lyrics.

(Though the studio version is a bit better, I think.)

It's not the greatest performance of the piece; it's a slower tempo than the Boulez version (the best performance, imo), and the recording is old, but it's the best I could find.

"(Though the studio version is a bit better, I think.)"

The Talking Heads are always better live. David Byrne is amazing to watch and I wish they'd do a reunion tour.

Almost always.

moonbeam, I meant the song with the highest ranking in individual lists
and which doesn't appear in the final AM top 200.

I'm gonna post you 2 clips (but just one song)song, "Irene" by Leadbelly

The first is for audio only : minimal video, but the best version of the song, recorded in 1944 in Hollywood with a guy on zither (sort of mandolin. I f you just want to hear the song

This one is for the video : great clip but not my favorite version of the song (although a good Sonny Terry harmonica part)

Paul

Great Townes Van Zandt clip !

It's my favorite country song.
I ranked it at # 14 for the poll, which is not enough.
It should be in my top 10
these songs lists...

As mine is a Prince song, it is unavailable on youtube. But thanks to Stephan's discovery, the song can be heard at songza in two of its best versions! The studio version is cold, frenetic and tense, while the piano version is a bluesier, sexier version.

The artist: Prince
The song: Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
The album: 1999
The year: 1982

Funny because for the moment our favorite non acclaimed songs are either from the '80s (Moonbeam, Stephan, Sinder Velvin) or from non-rock genres (Paul, Anthony and me)
Great variety and quality so far

Sexual Healing, by Marvin Gaye.
I was the only one who voted this song. Really, I surprise for me. And yes, the videoclip is a bit tacky, but....

Sorry, is "a surprise to me"

This song always gives me chills. Seems to be a slight sync problem on the video though.

Curtis Mayfield's mind-blowing, and relatively unknown, "Right On for The Darkness":

There's no video, but it's a way to hear the song...

Excellent choice, Stammer. Could the sync problem be simply to due to somebody having combined the live-in-the-TV-studio video footage with the sound off of the record studio version released on Nashville Skyline? I couldn't say for sure without checking the album and bootlegs.

Here's my choice: Warren Zevon, "Splendid Isolation" (I may be unreasonably partial to it because it's one of the few of his songs that I succeed in playing decently well myself):

Here's my favorite not in the top 200

Snusmumrik:
You are probably right about the clip. I really wasn't able to listen to it too closely as I sent it from work. And anything by Warren Zevon is okay by me. I've seen him live many times and feel he was an underappreciated artist.

Nice pick, Rune. I was thinking "Friday on My Mind" did make the list until I just went back and found it at #230. I had it at #47 so I tried to give it some help.

I know the fact that I ranked this as my #2 song of all time just doesn't give me much credibility, but according to iTunes I've listened to it over 200 times in the past couple years so I wouldn't feel right lying about how I love this sleezy mess of a song.

Kind of crappy song, but it shows GBV at their best. Live.

I meant sound not song!!!!

my 2nd favorite song set to my favorite movie actually doesn't make such a good marriage...maybe because the vangelis soundtrack was already perfect and it's hard to hear anything else

Great songs, boys!! And excellent song lists (although I’m reading the lists little by little, otherwise is exhausting).
There goes my number 6, I was the only one who voted it:

This has to be the greatest Beatles cover ever, and will be my #1 next time we make a list:

Here's my #3 song: "Shangri-La" by the Kinks.

Looks like I have stumped both Songza and YouTube... no clips of the original Yo' Mama by Frank Zappa exist.

Here is a partial version, played by Zappa's son Dweezil during the Zappa plays Zappa tour:

I learned a sad fact after finding this. For various reasons, I decided not to check out the last leg of of Zappa plays Zappa tour, even though I had a totally wonderful time when they first toured. Looking at the setlists for the 2007 tour, it looks like they put Yo' Mama into nearly every setlist. My #1 song of all time, that I thought would never be performed because of FZ's death, and I missed it! Darn.

And anything by Warren Zevon is okay by me. I've seen him live many times and feel he was an underappreciated artist.

Stammer, you're lucky to be US based there - I saw him in Copenhagen in 1988 and 1993 and that's it. He didn't exactly haunt Europe.