Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Listening to AM3000 - songs

The last couple of days I've been listening to songs from the AM3000 list. At first I thought starting at the beginning was a good idea, but knowing all the songs up there made it boring, so I started at the end instead. And I've made a lot of discoveries. While the top 200 are good, they are indeed a bit overplayed, but the bottom 200 are hidden jewels. The Contours' First I Look at the Purse is amazing. What a great song. Same goes for Ghostface Killah's Daytona 500 and Treason by The Teardrop Explodes (though I knew that one from before).

Most of the songs are found on youtube as well, which makes the treasure hunt easy, fast, cheap and legal.

Re: Listening to AM3000 - songs

you know, that really is a great idea... i might just do that too. i'll start from the start though. my musical knowledge is probably inferior to yours. thanks rune!

I've been working my way down the list, but my goal is to own all of them. YouTube is fine, but I want to be able to play them in my car or on my iPod. I'm now in the 1200's.

(At one point, I tried to start at the bottom, but my brain doesn't work that way...)

Because I'm anal-retentive, I can't add songs to my playlist until I've filled in the gaps (i.e., I can't add #1223 until I've found #1222). So sometimes I have to halt and search the local record stores or go on eBay.

I estimate that when I'm done, it'll be about 188 hours of music (now THAT'S a fun experiment!).

I've only done it for the first 500. Have always wanted to listen to all of the 3000, though.

I just get as many as possible from all over the place - don't worry about any specific order. Never done a big countup for songs - must have half of them at least. The other day,I did count the number of top3000 albums I had and I reckoned I had 300 odd albums - it might be my albums collection that needs a bit more work...

schleuse, if i ever attempted such a thing, i would be exactly the same. in order, or not at all!

Yeah, I'm not proud of it. Especially because I suspect Henrik will update before I'm done and the current rankings will be totally scrambled.

OK. No more updates.

On a similar note when will the addition of 2007 albums/songs into the all-time rankings take place?

I'd be more inclined to do something like put all of them on a list and pick out randomly, passing over stuff I don't feel like listening to.

Or maybe go down the Artist list, focusing on the ones I know the least about first.

But it is interesting to just listen down the whole list.

I have 2385 of the 3000, including all songs from 718 through to 1. I am hoping to have all 3000 before the next update.

That's pretty cool.

I've working backwards as well using Rhapsody. Some of the songs aren't available but I've found 10-15 songs I liked so far and I'm at 2800 or something. I tried once starting at #1 but I didn't like the songs that I didn't already own so I stopped. I figure when I get to about 750 or so (working backwards) I'll have heard the entire 3000.

So what songs have you guys discovered or rediscovered. I've found about 6 or 7 songs I really like, like Gil Scott-Heron's The Bottle, Sinead O' Connor's I Want Your Hands On Me, Snoop Dogg's Signs and Book of Rules by the Heptones. I've rediscovered The Lemonheads- Into Your Arms and Aretha Franklin- The House That Jack Built: songs I've heard before but didn't think much of them until now. I'm only at 2600 so I'm looking forward to experiencing a lot of great music.

Any gems you guys have found in the lower realms?

I'm planning on beginning this tonight starting at the end and working my way forward.

It's a bit sad when it ends. And has such anti-climactic parts. But definitely worth a listen.

And it even has Babyshambles' "F Forever" in it. You know it's a good list at heart, when the Sean Paul and Missy Elliott on it are dead and gone.

Up to #2960 so far.

My discoveries:
*Black Box Recorder "Facts of Life" NICE trip-hop tune
*Little Feat "Dixie Chicken" Great country-rocker (yes I really had never heard it before)
*Heptones "Book of Rules"- Great reggae with a deep lyric :)
*Nas "Made You Look"- Pretty great hip-hop tune. No bling, no hos
*Notwist "Pilot"- I just borrowed NEON GOLDEN from the library and have been digging it but this is still a pretty new "find" to me.
*Aretha Franklin "House that Jack Built"- I had formerly thought it was just "OK" but I'm liking it quite a bit now
*Spencer Davis Group- Keep on Running- Remembered liking this and hearing it again confirmed it..great propulsive bassline driving this one.

And for Pat Benatar "Love is a Battlefield": Like this more than I had remembered although the "dance fight" with the Hispanic looking guy was laughable at best..disturbed to find there is a Hilary Duff cover of the song

There are two versions of Facts of Life- the one which was released on their compilation Worst of Black Box Recorder is superior in my opinion.