The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Song you could never tire of

Inspired by the "Fun Experiment"...

Is there any song out there lovely enough that you could listen to it over and over again, and really never get bored of?

I have one. It's "Blue Moon" by Big Star.

Re: Song you could never tire of

Probably my whole top 15 songs.

There is no song I would not tire of.

But if I had to endure many repeated playings of the same song for an entire day, I would pick "Thirteen" by Big Star.

(And then never listen to it again.)

Probably something ambient because it's so unintrusive.

4′33″ by John Cage.

This would probably be considered cheating.

The La's - There She Goes
The Stone Roses - Elephant Stone
The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
All those ones,I never ever get sick of...
I think the only one amongst my favourites I would get sick of is 'Common People'

here's a few songs that i did listen to on repeat something like 100 times over:

junior boys - in the morning
meat puppets - plateau

and here's some that i've listened to at least 20 times on repeat each

public enemy - night of the living baseheads
sigur ros - svefn-g-englar
at the drive-in - rascuasche
my bloody valentine - soon
massive attack - group four

i'm still not sick of them! sometimes i need to take a break from listening to them, but i never get completely sick of them.

Robert Wyatt - Sea Song

This song has so many elements that, in reality, every time I hear that I think a different song.

great choice otisredding
IMO I think few songs even my favorites would resist repttitive playings
I won't try anyway

Good call on Waterloo Sunset.

I haven't said much about the alleged Chic "experiment," because I respect all the people involved, but I do, really, sincerely, fail to see the point.

I mean, most people like steak. Well, in Amarillo, there's one of those restaurants where, if you can eat a 72-oz. (2 kg) steak, plus all the trimmings, in 90 minutes (90 minutes), it's free. It's probably safe to say that, for the people who accomplish that feat, enjoyment ceases by the time the steak is one-quarter eaten.

There is no song I would want to hear more than two or three times in a row (unless I was trying to decipher the lyrics or something), any more than I would want to drink fourteen beers in a row (after all, I'm not in high school any more).

What is this interest in torturing oneself with a surfeit of something that one loves?

(Said the marathon runner.)

As the person who originally suggested the idea, I'll respond to your comment schleuse by saying that for me, it was more or less an excercise in curiosity - not only from a general point of view, but also from coming from a background in psychology (and having an inclination to explore the causes and effects of various human motivations).

By "general point of view", I'm referring to the natural curiosity that most of us have with endeavors like these. For example, when I initially presented the idea for the experiment, I referred to a radio station contest that involved the same type of conditions/parameters (ie. listening to one song on repeat for an extended period of time). During that time, I remember having several conversations with people who all were quick to make claims about how well they could fare in such a circumstance; most of the people that I talked to said that they could've lasted through the three days, no problem. But if reality shows have taught us anything ("Fear Factor" comes to mind here), it's that the idea of something and the practical reality of it are two, extremely different things. In other words, the idea of eating a bowl of live crickets for a certain sum of money is one thing; having that bowl in front of you is an entirely different thing.

I understand your opinion; it's definitely warranted. But this "experiment" was just something fun to try for the sake of trying it - and for me, just more evidence that the practical reality of a given situation is indeed much different than the hypothetical idea of it.

schleuse, you mean you've never bought a new album and discovered a track that you just can't get enough of!? that happens to me, no joke, every CD that i buy. one track will get at least 10 repetitions. i do see your point though. difference is, i do it because i can't get enough of a song, and all i want to do is listen to it over and over. i'm not "killing" it, i'm enjoying it, and the second the enjoyment starts to fade, i stop listening. no harm done.

Well, fair enough, Moeboid. I have done that, but not for a while...the last time was probably Veni Vidi Vicious, which I listened to for something like 2 hours straight, mostly only playing the even-numbered tracks.

Anthony, I understand that it was a kind of psychology experiment (I forgot that was your background). But I thought it was only movie villains who experimented on themselves: "I have developed a formula that will make me invisible! Who better to test it on than....MYSELF? Mwah-hah-hah!"

And I thought I was the mad scientist...

I think a few of us have a bit of "mad scientist" in us.

In your case though, schleuse, the beakers and vials are replaced by charts, graphs and an easel.

Since you've mentioned them, I could probably go with "Thirteen" by Big Star, "There She Goes" by The LA's and "Waterloo Sunset" by The Kinks too. :)

that Loquillo tune Honorio recommended recently..

Grateful Dead - Truckin' :) (tires...)

I'm with schleuse, last time I played a song more than three times in a row I was probably 12 or something. I have played new-bought albums in their entirety several times in a row, but that always causes a backlash afterwards.

I'm not saying that there's something odd with those of you who can enjoy a song on repeat 10 times. Not at all. I'm happy for you.