Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Greatest new discovery during the songs countdown

For me it has to be "John Wayne Gacy, Jr.". I had heard it before, but never did it hit me like it did when I saw the youtube clip. Such a morbid but incredibly fascinating song, incredible.

Re: Greatest new discovery during the songs countdown

Tunderclap Newman. I loved that song, but had only heard the Tom Petty cover of it. The original is even better.

New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle" for me.

Great question!

I've had a few.

I'd always liked Otis Redding's "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay", but its placement made me listen again, and I'm really loving it.

Other songs that I'm "discovering":

Pulp- "Common People"
Billie Holiday- "Strange Fruit"
The Undertones- "Teenage Kicks"
Tom Waits- "Downtown Train"
Spiritulized- "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"
Massive Attack- "Teardrop"
The Specials- "Ghost Town"
The Knife- "Heartbeats"
The Jam- "Going Underground"

And I hadn't heard "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." before, but it struck me from first listen!

I feel spoiled in that I was able to see it all come together, and the greatest benefit for me is discovering all of this great stuff.

For me it was the Sufjan Stevens song

That's a great group of songs, Moonbeam!

Indeed! I'm spoiled rotten!

Can we do the poll again please, now that everyone has listened to Sufjan?

It would be interesting to do another poll in the near future (both albums and songs) to see what these new discoveries would do. From my perspective, the 90s poll clearly helped raise awareness of a lot of songs. "Dry the Rain" making the top 50 was the surprise of the poll for me, and "Common People" earning a spot at number 5 was also amazing!

Oh yeah, The Knife - Heartbeats too. I had the José González version in my list.. but this one is very good as well.

For all of you who have discovered Sufjan, go get Illinoise for crying out loud! As jonmarck would attest, the album is chock-full o' gems. (namely, "Seers Tower" - which is just as haunting.)

I'm sure Nicolas isn't the only one who enjoyed "What That Thing Smell Like"...

I already had Illinoise in my top 150, but because of this song it's definitely gonna climb a few spots.

Stan by Eminem. I was never a rap person, but that is just storytelling at its best. I know that this song is probably a love it/hate it type song, but to me, it's spectacular.

Would you believe I haven't even gotten to #100 yet?

So far:

Curtis Mayfield, "Move On Up"
Mercury Rev, "Goddess on a Hi-Way"
Stone Roses, "I Am the Resurrection" (hadn't heard it in about 15 years)
The Knife, "Heartbeats"

The only songs from the Top 200 that I never heard before were “Maps”, “Juicy”, “Heartbeats” and “Till I Die”. All of them fantastic, especially the last one.
About the Sufjan one, it’s superb. I like especially that “Oh, my God / are you one of them?” part. Almost makes me cry…

I'd heard em all before. I'm looking forward to going through the bubbling under though because there were a bunch that I'm interested in hearing.

REM - Fall On Me

Otherwise,I'd heard everything in the top 100...

A song I already knew but went 5 stars is "runaway"
I'll listen to the Sufjan album, although I heard it before

Greatest discoverys for me :
The Knife - Heartbeats and Thunderclap Newman - Something in the Air (i'd only heard Elbow's cover).

Is it just my computer acting up, or did Moonbeam stop at # 22 yesterday??

It's not your computer, and it's not Moonbeam, but it's something alright. I can't see past "Alone Again Or" either.. I'm not sure what it is.

yeah me too
probably the thread was too long and too heavy

Yeah, it's strange, cuz I was able to see it last night, until I left just after 'Strange Fruit'.

If you want to see the whole list, Sinder Velvin posted it in his "UNacclaimed" thingy, but I realize that's not as much fun.. I think we'll have to wait for Henrik to see if he can recover those posts.

The whole list is still there but on 3 pages.
You can see the 2 other pages using Next or Last.

Ah, silly me, you're right. That wasn't the case yesterday though!

*Smacks forehead*

Sorry for this confusion, but my computer didn't like to show the high number of YouTubes on one page, so I changed the number of posts per page from 250 to 100. The problem now is that it is very difficult to see that the "Next" button is clickable.

Did anyone else have a problem with the large thread yesterday? If not, I should perhaps change the number of posts back to 250.

Thanks, silly me, I was just so used to just clicking ctrl+end. Excellent idea to divide it up.

Well, it took a while to load it, but it wasn't that much of a problem. I think people with slower connections might get long loading times though so it's a good idea.

Sorry to slow everyone's computers down! It may be a good idea to have 100-post page limits. Is there a way to make it clearer that threads have multiple pages?

Not that I know of, but I'll look into it a bit more.

So far, it's defintiely got to be Thunderclap Newman. I had heard the song many times before, but I never really _heard_ it until now. It's a great, worthy addition.

Sam Cooke

They are not exactly discoveries for me, I already knew these songs, but after I hear them in recent days that may come into my top 200 of 2010.

Echo and the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This ...)
Iggy Pop - The Passenger
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
Johnny Cash - Hurt

To me is how harmonically, melodically brilliant the early Beatles songs are. Songs like She Loves You and I Want to Hold Your Hand sound very unique.

They use way more chords than their 50's mentors and the same time they both have a relentless pounding beat. Good luck trying to copy that most of their peers failed miserably when they ventured away from blues or their rock and roll roots.

Definitely "13" by Big Star. "Stardust" by Hoagy Carmichael" and "Hyper-Ballad" by Björk. And two Radiohead songs, "Let Down" and "How To Disappear Completely". Plus Bonnie Prince Billy - Grand Dark Feeling Of Empiness. Thanks!