The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AM Survivor: Week 13

Most effective, to-the-point, all-encompassing slam yet.

Harpo on Van Morrison: "Just nasty, pompous, ugly music by an awful man."

Don't you even like "Astral Weeks" or "Moondance"?

Just to clarify. I like Van Morrison. I was just struck by the extreme nature of Harpo's critique.

Paul – I understand. I don’t have to like it, but I understand. (I foresee a discovery of "The Bends" on the horizon for you...)

Re: Van the man… while I don’t completely agree with Harpo, I can see where he’s coming from. The musical showboating on the last half of Astral Weeks really is sometimes more of a turnoff than it is admirable, and as expected, I lean towards the poppier, more concise Van (you guessed it: Moondance).

Three quarters of his discography are pretty crap, but the rest is magical!

In fact, "It's Too Late To Stop Now" is, in my opinion, the best live album ever.

But maybe that's just me.

Shoot, I used my real name a few posts back! It's not one you here much anymore, but there were six Paul's in my hall in the college dorm, so I use the dumb nickname.

-Loophole

I like "Paul". In fact, I'm all for the use of real names; it adds a personal touch to an already cozy forum.

i agree with you anthony (as Henrik, Honorio, John, jonmarck and a lot of others would)
BUt some people prefer a nickname
depends on your personality

There are only a handful of people in the United States with my last name (there are less than 100 Schleuses in North America, according to genealogical research some members of my family have done), so I use that since I'm very unlikely to be duplicated (it would be a different story in Germany, I suppose).

If anyone cares, my first name is Martin, but I'm gonna stick with my more unusual surname. "schleuse" is the guy I am on this forum.

Maybe I just like it that it's hard to pronounce...

Oh, and I know at least five different people named Paul, including my younger brother.

Hard to pronounce? (I didn't think so, which leads me to believe that I'm saying it wrong in my head). Can you give a linguistic breakdown?

(Do you get "Marty" at all?)

I'm using my real name, for the first time on any web forum. I've always used Nukualofa for some reason, but I decided I wouldn't here.

schleuse
Your name is funny because that's how the French called the Germans during the wars
"les schleus"
Makes me think of black and white movies from the '60s

OK, nicolas…I’ll take your word for it. (I’m not sure I want a translation!).

Anthony, within my own family I’ve heard four different ways to pronounce it...and that's not counting my days as a teacher, when several hundred high school students mangled my name in quite entertaining ways. Probably the simplest is

/shloos/ (rhymes with “moose”)

although my other brother (the one who’s not Paul) favors what I take is the correct German pronunciation:

/SHLOY-zuh/

but that always sounds to me like some kind of wart.

I haven’t been “Marty” since I was 12, as I don’t care to be associated with either Michael J. Fox or Ernest Borgnine.

Thanks schleuse.

"/shloos/" - that's what I thought.

Has anyone ever called you "shlooze"?

shlooze, sloose, sleaze, shlucie, ska-loose, ska-lease, Schultz. I've heard it all.

By the way, here are some anagrams for "Sinder Velvin":

driven snivel
vend in livers
Rev. sin in veld
Nils' Verve din

(Sorry about that, I've wanted to throw your name in the anagram generator for awhile now. Cheers.)

Haha.

Yeah, I anagramize my name sometimes too. Vinvin Selder's my fav.

But "shlooze" rhymes with "booze," and I wish I had a name like that.

An anagram for my birthname is "anus retainer". Another in "arse in nature".

I bow down before you.

OK. Using the real name from now on. Heretofore: Anything stupid or annoying said by "Paul" is some other guy with the same name.

It's been noted.

Hey, Paul!

1)Outkast:Self-indulgent albums,almost unlistenable(for me) from end to end...
2)Leonard Cohen:Well I guess he can get a bit bland for my liking
3)Public Enemy:Fell well short of my expectations,can't get into their so-called 'Tour de Force' albums
4)The Stooges:Don't mind them,just starting to get into voting out artists I actually like,still I hardly listen to them very much
5)Lou Reed:I like Transformer but not too much else...

Right then, it's high time I dropped that stupid part at the beginning of my name here (somebody convinced me to include it in my email address years ago, and it stuck somehow). But it's no big change really.

Fine, fine. Since we're all changing names I guess I'll have to join in on the fun.

the masks are dropping...

1 Pink Floyd
2 Van Morrison
3 The Clash
4 Bruce Springsteen
5 Bjork:sweeter than a drop of blood from The Sugarcubes she may be, but Bjork is a classic case of an artist I admire rather than actually enjoy. A poor argument for eviction, but it's getting to that stage of the competition.
Also, Bjork sux, no way can u compare too Peejay Harvee she roolz!!ok

Har har.

I'm going to be a little contrary--I like it when people use a different persona online than in their civilian life.

This probably has something to do with my preference for artifice over sincerity (in art). After all, it worked for Robert Zimmerman, David Jones, James Osterberg, Paul Hewson, David Evans, Gordon Sumner, Carlton Ridenhour, Reggie Dwight, Joseph Simmons, Del MacManus, John Ritchie, Roberta Joan Anderson, Jeff Hyman, Michael Lee Aday, Steveland Judkins, and Richard Starkey.

*tips hat* Stephen; Max; how do you do.

Micheal Aday to “Meat Loaf”. I don’t even want to know the story behind that one.

Sorry. Stephan.

An internet username and an artist pseudo are different things IMO.
Here I never saw any reason to hide my name and identity.
But some artists change their names to have a stronger impact on their audience (Dylan, Bowie), or to signify something (Prince, Howlin' Wolf, The Edge, Stevie Wonder), or to anglicize their names (Dean Martin, George Michael, Cat Stevens)
When I wrote my book, I finally kept my own name (Nicolas Lejeune)
As a singer I went by the (rather stupid) name of Nick Raven (why ? long story)
But here I wanna be just myself.
I understand, though, those who chose distanciation;
It's a question of personality and aesthetic choices.
Verfremdungseffekt or Nemesis ? Distanciation or identification ? Any one can chose, but that tells a lot of our tastes I guess

I wonder if Robert, David, James, et al would use their artist names or not if they wrote here.

1. Talking Heads
2. Tom Waits
3. Curtis Mayfield

4. Van Morrison - I don´t wan´t to see Public Enemy go! So in as a desperate measure I´ll sacrifice Van Morrison. He is due quite soon anyway

5. The Byrds - The Byrds is yet another band that I have very little relation to. They do not fire me up. And i do not think they have the place in history to advance further.

I really like the survivor game format. Soon I will have to start killing favorites to save the acts i really cares about. That´s when things start to become interesting.

Looks like I should start preparing my eulogy for the Byrds. Actually I don't even think they're that great. I just like Sweetheart of the Rodeo.