The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AM Survivor: Week 12

If Beck sucks, what is the basis for all of the acclaim? Are the vast majority of critics wrong or could it be that you don't get what Beck is doing?

I'd also like a clarification of the comment "Are you joking?" for Public Enemy. Given that there are very few hip-hop artists left on Survivor, and you don't seem to be a fan of either Outkast or P.E., I think a more honest answer would be that you are just not a fan of hip-hop.

I haven't listened to a complete Pub. Ene. album, but it will be a long time before I vote them out, because they are almost the essential groundbreaking act for an entire style of music and generation of music listeners. I don't understand how they can be dismissed completely as a joke, given that they are in the company of about 60 or so artists now. Outkast are a little goofy, I admit, but still respectable.

I would say if you can say something intelligent, don't say anything all, but Survivor rules require you to say something, so that's that.

I'm going to try to keep Public Enemy around for a while just for "911 is a Joke".

....honestly? How could these guys get anywhere NEAR, err, "Light My Fire," "Riders on the Storm," or "Roadhouse Blues"? "SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE!?!?" Easily one of the worst musical acts to happen in the last 20 years, and that is saying a lot

And to hop on with the rebuttals, both OutKast and PE have about 15-20 tracks better than anything by The Doors (who were generally bad lounge music mixed with sub-high school poetry) and most stuff by Cream. JUST MY OPINION, of course.

I'm happy you are attacking someone else, and not me for my disliking of Marvin Gaye and James Brown :)

Rap.

5 points: Chuck Berry - Repeat. Still here, still remaining here I imagine.

4 points: Ray Charles - Repeat

3 points: Parliament/Funkadelic - Repeat

2 points: Pink Floyd - Repeat

1 point: Curtis Mayfield - I'm definitely turning into a fan, but compared to the competition, I'm not enough of a fan.

it's not the fact that you don't like these artists that we are angry at, it is the way you do that

Provokingis easy (especially when you're behind a computer screen
Arguing and expressing ideas is anothe rmatter

"I haven't listened to a complete Pub. Ene. album, but it will be a long time before I vote them out, because they are almost the essential groundbreaking act for an entire style of music and generation of music listeners."

If this is the rule of thumb for this game then why is Kraftwerk gone?

You've got me, AKO. I would have kept them around until the top 20.

And I didn't vote for Kraftwerk once! Just defending myself and how I'm following my "rule", which isn't necessarily how other people are voting.

I think Jonah's rule is an admirable one--but I don't always follow it myself--for starters, I did vote for Sinatra. I don't remember if I ever got around to Kraftwerk, although I definitely would have by now.

So, AKO, how do we choose whom to kick out? I'm leaving that up to each individual voter's good judgment. I think it's safe to say that everybody here has had a favorite artist get the boot...in fact, another of my top ten is about to leave us when the Week 13 thread goes up in about 30 seconds...

Nicolas, don't be angry. We're just trying to be funny.

I'm happy you are attacking someone else, and not me for my disliking of Marvin Gaye and James Brown

I wasn't attacking you back then, just hoping you'd give Marvin & JB more of a chance in the future! Sometimes people here a single or 2 and dismiss an artist out of hand, and then they unfairly miss out on so much good music.

As far as my recent comment, I was attacking The Doors, not the poster.

ok sinder I just read your message this morning not well awoken