Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Worst Song

Dumbangel,

Good call on Kokomo. It may not be the best song, but it has it's moments and it created some new Beach Boys songs.

I think "Rockin' In The Free World" is a good 80s song from a 60s artist.

8. Amerie, “1 Thing” (20 voters - 30 points)

I'm surprised this is so disregarded - it kicks the arse of "Crazy in Love", and I'm not so sure it's a rip-off anyway. I mean, Amerie herself may be a Beyonce knock-off, but "Crazy" is all about that horn hook, while "1 Thing" is pretty much pure rhythm (drums & those guitar chords). Anyway, I consider it one of the singles of the '00s, and I generally dislike most of the r&b of this decade.

Just an itty-bitty rant, thanks!

(Side rant: How could anyone hate "Intergalactic"? My goodness!)

Can someone tell me some best songs from the 80s made by great artists of the 60s ? I don't see what else. "Kokomo" rules !

I won't go into my thoughts on "Kokomo", but other great '80s songs by '60s artists:

Dylan: Blind Willie McTell, Brownsville Girl, Every Grain of Sand, Most of the Time
Marvin Gaye: Sexual Healing
Stevie Wonder: Master Blaster (Jammin')
Lennon solo: Watching the Wheels
McCartney solo: Take It Away

The line starts behind Neil Young's Freedom and Paul Simon's Graceland.

"Shiny Happy People" is one of the only R.E.M. songs I like!

And "Batdance" is awesome!

I'll also admit to liking "Sunglasses At Night".

Bob Dylan scored big with Oh Mercy

"Batdance"...the nicest thing I can say about it is that it's innocuous, and from Prince I expect something better than innocuous. (Moonbeam, are there any Prince songs you don't like?)

And speaking of innocuous, there's "Sunglasses at Night"...when I was in high school, my senior class won a local radio station's contest, and first prize was a free Corey Hart concert for all. I'll give him this--he put on a decent, workmanlike show, and he performed his songs with energy and conviction without ever pretending that they were masterpieces.

There are plenty of Prince songs I don't like- even a few albums. But I think "Batdance" is perfect Prince- weird, innovative and funky. Its brilliant use of samples from the Batman movie and its spooky lyrics and delivery set the perfect mood for Batman. The guitars are blistering and raw, and that funky guitar crunch during the "Who's that? Vicki Vale!" bit makes me sport the funk face more often than not.

Shiny Happy People is awesome...

The worst songs in bracketology for me were Donna Summer-I Feel Love, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers- Why Do Fools Fall in Love, Fleetwood Mac- Go Your Own Way and the Pretenders- Brass in Pocket

I love Shiny Happy people
And "Country House" too
They're fun songs

And what does it have to do with Stipe's child ?
I didn't understand what you meant schleuse
Would children be a bad source of inspiration ?

Oh. Umm...I guess that's an English idiom that doesn't translate very well. Saying that Stipe was "in touch with his inner 4-year-old" is a metaphor for saying that he was playing the role, or speaking in the voice of, a young child. That doesn't quite get all the nuance of it, but it's the best I can explain it uncaffeinated...hope that helps.

I did not mean to imply he was getting advice from his nephew or something. Michael Stipe has no children (in part, for a fairly obvious reason).

John said: "The worst songs in bracketology for me were Donna Summer-I Feel Love, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers-Why Do Fools Fall in Love, Fleetwood Mac-Go Your Own Way and the Pretenders-Brass in Pocket"

I think there are four great songs. Especially "I Feel Love" has introduced new elements to the dance floor (and in popular music, the novelty must be evaluated).

I believe, according to Blender, The End (The Doors), it is more boring than a golf TV transmission.

I didn't know Stipe was gay

Damned language bareer