Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM Survivor: Week 12

Special this week: buy four, get one free!

60. Pulp (22)
59. Joy Division (21)
58. The Flaming Lips (16)
57. Nick Cave (16)
56. U2 (16)

Remaindered: Parliament/Funkadelic (15), The Byrds (15), Sex Pistols (13), Leonard Cohen (12), Massive Attack (12), Wilco (11), Van Morrison (11), Björk (11).

No tiebreaker was possible between Nick Cave and U2—each of them got three first-place votes and one fifth-place, so the island loses its last Australian artist and its last Irish artist simultaneously. (I know this throws off the nominal schedule again, but I’m not worried about it, so don’t you be.)

Double nickels still on the island:

The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Beck, Chuck Berry, Björk, Blur, David Bowie, James Brown, The Byrds, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, The Clash, Leonard Cohen, Elvis Costello, Miles Davis, Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, PJ Harvey, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Massive Attack, Curtis Mayfield, Van Morrison, Nirvana, OutKast, Parliament/Funkadelic, Pink Floyd, Pixies, Elvis Presley, Prince, Public Enemy, Radiohead, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols, Simon and Garfunkel, Sly and the Family Stone, Sonic Youth, Bruce Springsteen, The Stooges, Talking Heads, The Velvet Underground, Tom Waits, The Who, Wilco, Hank Williams, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young.

Week 12 is now underway.

Re: AM Survivor: Week 12

grr....so now you're getting rid of The Flaming Lips and U2 while Wilco marches free.......

1. Leonard Cohen
2. Sex Pistols
3. Sonic Youth
4. Wilco - I'm taking a break from Prince to dump these two deadweights. Wilco's a barely passable atmosphere group. Sure they can write a hook, but so can Motley Crue, and no one should be like Motley Crue.
5. Bjork - Jittery and irrelevant, not to mention an awfully squeaky voice.

Same as last week,

5 points Sonic Youth
4 Springsteen
3 Simon and Garfunkel
2 Wilco
1 Lou Reed

Complete drivel compared to Pulp and Joy Division. Certainly didn't dislike any of the artists to leave last week but some of them got as far as could be expected and I certainly wouldn't have ranked them amongst the cream of what's left.

The highest-ranked artists to have left the island:

15. U2
27. The Smiths
30. The Doors
34. Beastie Boys
36. Creedence Clearwater Revival
38. Michael Jackson
41. John Lennon
42. Roxy Music
45. Madonna
46. Joni Mitchell

Same again.

1. Wilco
2. The Byrds
3. Parliament/Funkadelic
4. The Who
5. The Clash

1.Talking Heads 5 pts
2.PJ Harvey 4 pts
3.Pixies 3 pts
4.L Cohen : Excellent poet and songwriter, but sometimes a little boring
5.Blur : Contrary to most of the people here I prefer their beginnings. It's a great pop band, they can be really good live. But some albums really don't make it for me (13 for example)

More of the same, for like the 5th week in a row

1. The Byrds
2. Hank Williams
3. Al Green
4. Van Morrison
5. Bob Marley and the Wailers

At some point, scheulse, it might be neat to list the best "clutch-players" in this game, as in the artists that have been closest to elimination without being kicked out. The Byrds have been on the brink forever, but the new votes from new entries on lists seem to save them over and over again.

1) Beck
2) Public Enemy
3) Nirvana
4) Parliament/Funkadelic
5) PJ Harvey - I don't really see the appeal here. She's had a few good songs, I like Rid Of Me and her Dylan cover is not too bad either, but the latest album is really quite boring. After listening to her for a few minutes I get bored so she has to go. I was doubting between PJ and the Stooges and right that moment a Stooges song came up on winamp which gives them another week. Or two.

Coming around again:

1. MASSIVE ATTACK. This is getting ridiculous. They’re now so far out of their depth that they’re in danger of nitrogen narcosis (which would explain some of their music, come to think…)
2. THE BYRDS
3. PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC
4. SIMON & GARFUNKEL

It’s too late, baby:

5. PINK FLOYD. It’s been a busy week here at the schleuse ranch, and I haven’t had a chance to sit down and mull everyone’s recommendations for Cohen and Mayfield (thanks to all who made suggestions). So Floyd is up next.

There’s an epic quality about their post-Barrett music that just lends itself to movies—The Wall, obviously. The Wizard of Oz (how stoned was the guy who “discovered” that?). And I know I’ve heard “Comfortably Numb” on a movie soundtrack, but I can’t remember which one. I love movies—I discovered Acclaimed Music via the link on TSPDT—but I think that’s the only reason I’ve given Pink Floyd a pass to this point. They carry a whiff of arena rock and prog, neither of which I care for…I also can’t avoid the feeling that for some poor souls, Floyd is a gateway drug to Marillion.

Hey, I discovered AM through TSPDT as well!

Good question, Jonah.

I’ve also noticed that some endangered artists seem to hang around forever, while some seem to come out of nowhere and barge to the front of the line to get off this fershlugginer island. So, let’s see, “clutch performers”…

Looking at the artists who spent multiple weeks on the “last five left” list, the Byrds have been on that list for three weeks now, but four other artists did the same: John Coltrane, Eminem, Buddy Holly, and Elliott Smith.

If the Byrds are still around after this week, they’ll join the Cure and Paul Simon, each of whom spent four weeks bubbling under.

The champion so far, though, is Pulp, who were among the “last five left” for five weeks until they got their exit visas last week.

Great flaming Jesus - Pulp, Joy Division and The Flaming Lips all gone? Those are 3 of my top 20.

Er,

1. (5p) Chuck Berry - Chuck Berry is on top of my list of artists to leave the island. This sweet little rock and roller (yes, I'm talking about you, Chuck) doesn't do it for me. Come on! There's too much monkey business in his rock and roll music.

2. (4p) Massive Attack - It's just daydreaming believing they will survive the next week. I want you off the island, and nobody would shed a teardrop if you leave.

3. (3p) Bob Marley and the Wailers - Time will tell if top rankin' rasta revolution man and his jamming buddies has what it takes for one more week of survival. I'll have no sympathy for them if they have to leave.

4. (2p) The Byrds - There is a season for everything, and this spring is not for The Byrds. I'll feel a whole lot better if you're gone, and I'll get somebody else to vote off.

5. (1p) Lou Reed - It breaks my rock and roll heart to vote for one of my heroes, but what's good in his career is the Velvet Underground. And I would vote off nobody but you, Lou, from that truly excellent band.

1. SEX PISTOLS
2. PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC
3. PRINCE

4. BLUR: Completely independent of schleuse’s vote for Pink Floyd, I’m temporarily suspending my positive approach to this game to say that I should’ve had these guys on my ballot a long time ago (and by that I mean, after Oasis were voted off.) Reason? It’s a hypocrisy to condemn a band for their inflated ego (ie. Oasis), but then conveniently forget about a band who were just as big of offenders. That's right, fellow AM'ers, I'm looking at you! Plus, if you take the usual BritPop suspects - Oasis, The Verve, Pulp, Blur – you could pretty much leave them in that order in terms of significance (well, the last two are a tossup anyway.) Sure, Blur might’ve won the battle of BritPop, but they lost the war - none of their albums achieved the height of either Definitely Maybe or Morning Glory, in terms of sales, influence or lasting impact. What I’m really trying to say is: 1) I dislike Blur 2) it’s embarrassing that I didn’t vote for them earlier, and 3) they need to jump on the next schooner out of here.

5. WILCO: A great album in YHF, but I haven’t got into any of their other albums (which is more my fault than it is a testament to their catalogue.)

Oh crap.. I thought Blur was long gone. Can I switch PJ for Blur? (providing I write my arguments obviously)

1. Massive Attack (5pts)
2. Bjork
3. PJ Harvey (I like her OK, but the competition is getting tough. Her catalog doesn't stack up for me as well as the rest).
4. Blur (Just not my thing. Tough competition. Same as PJ)
5. Aretha Franklin

1. Bjork
2. Al Green
3. Beatles
4. Pixies

New:

5. Simon and Garfunkel - Quite a few great songs - "The Boxer," "America," "April Come She Will" - though none made my top 200. However, they don't have a "great" album (I suppose Bridge Over Troubled Water comes closest), which isn't true of any other artist left on the island (not counting pre-album artists, e.g. Hank Williams).

Two down in one week!

5 points. Tom Waits- Why won't you go away!
4 points. Blur
3 points. Johnny Cash

2 points. Massive Attack- They really should have been on my list a long time ago but I wanted to get rid of the ones I really dislike. I don't dislike Massive Attack, they just don't do anything for me. I could listen to their big albums and be ok with it but I'd never listen to them on my own time.

1 point. Bruce Springsteen- I love Thunder Road and Reason to Believe but most of his catalog is just not any good. In my opinion of course. Thunder Road kept him off the list for this long but if it wasn't for that song he would trump Tom Waits and so he now belongs here.

Thank you for the help to send Pulp packing last week. Can we please do the same with Blur this week? It is a pitty that Joy Division had to go.

1. Blur
2. Sex Pistols
3. Talking Heads
4. Tom Waits

5. Curtis Mayfield - I have never had the chanse to really get to know Curtis Mayfield and a few others on the island. The ones i do know, I want to keep for a few more weeks. This is why Curtis will have to pack.

I think it's time to start prepping my "In Defense of Blur" essay for Henrik's thread.

We're gonna need a judge's ruling on whether Van the Man (moving up to my #1 to leave, with the loss of Joy Division) counts as Irish. Either way, he should have left long before U2 in my book.

1) Van Morrison
2) Tom Waits
3) The Stooges

New vote getters:

4) Massive Attack -- I kinda like their stuff, will definitely pull Blue Lines out every once and a while. This is a vote based on comparing them to others of their ilk. They are simply not as fascinating soundscape artisans as Portishead or their erstwhile member Tricky.

5) Nick Drake -- My first pained vote. I have a huge hole in my knowledge of Nick Drake. I have liked what I have heard a great deal. But I simply don't know him well enough to avoid voting for him any longer. We are at that stage in the proceedings where I have to try and keep on flawed artists who have given me more pleasure (but their time is coming soon).

1. Outkast - I wonder if anyone realizes these guys are still here. Are they really deserving of such a high placement? If so - why? because I don't get it.
2. Parliament/Funkadelic
3. Public Enemy
4. Massive Attack
5. Sex Pistols

Well, I'm still enjoying listening to Hey Ya! on the island. But it might start to wear thin pretty soon.

Schwah, I go with Henrik in counting Van as UK (Northern Ireland).

And Slush, you won't be the only one rising to the defense of Blur--for my money, the best band of the last 15 years (yes, better'n Radiohead).

Shoot, forgot about Outkast. Letting them stay past Oasis, U2, Joni Mitchell and The Band is downright unforgivable.

i'm into Outkast these days and they're really growing on me
They are amazing; What a creativity !
Thank God, now Clinton and his mates are out, there's still funk on the island with Prince and Outkast

I'm hoping Parliament/Funkadelic sticks around a little longer... well, a lot longer, actually!

oops !
i thought Parlaiment and funkadelic were out !

1. Bob Dylan.
2. Van Morrison.
3. Bruce Springsteen.
4. Pixies.

With U2 gone, I have a new 5th place for one point

5. The Byrds.
I love 60s bands with only two exceptions, and since The Dave Clark Five aren't on the island here's the other exception.

Ok, let's look at the future

with blur and maybe PJ Harvey on the leave, there are chances that Elvis Costello might be in danger

Please give me 3 songs by him that I should like because I don't know what to listen to

thanks in advance

Nicolas, you have to listen to "I Want You" from Blood and Chocolate! Then anything from his first two albums.

What's so Funnny Bout Peace Love and Understanding
Daddy Can I Turn This
Town Cryer
Radio Radio
Pump it Up
Watching the Detectives
Oliver's Army
Two Hitlers
Alibi
...And in Every Home
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea
Accidents Will Happen
Goon Squad
Riot Act
Pidgin English
Alison

(See why I couldn't participate in the top 100 songs poll? Too many choices!)

I said 3

I know. That's as far as I could narrow it down. If I really had to choose 3 absolutely representative tracks they would probably be Radio, Radio, What's so Funny Bout Peace Love and Understanding and Town Cryer but that's leaving out a heck of a lot of Costello. You really have to go through every album to get the full picture.

Also be sure to check out Battered Old Bird from Blood and Chocolate, the album where Costello is credited as Napoleon Dynamite.

That list doesn't even include my favorite Elvis Costello song, Veronica.

Well, couldn't include them all! It's a good song but it's half-written by McCartney I'm not much of a Spike fan anyways.

Seems like you got your name and email mixed up jonmarck.

Damn you guys kicked out some of the coolest bands ever - why does everything cool have to be kicked out? I guess all the tame acts will be left in the end...

Elvis Costello:

1. Watching the Detectives ("she's filing her nails while they're dragging the lake")
2. I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea (great rock tune)
3. Almost Blue (an original that sounds like an old classic Cole Porter tune)

Nick Cave gone, we move on to Massive Attack.

1) Ray Charles - He's OK.
2) Leonard Cohen - At the risk of be lambasted by his fans, he sounds a little like a Dylan knock-off to me.
3) Nick Drake - He's back on the list, because now we're starting to get down to great artists, and he's not one of them.
4) Massive Attack - A pretty cool band, but surpassed by band mate Tricky in one album.
5) Curtis Mayfield - He might be "super," and he's certainly "fly," but I don't think he's "Superfly."

On deck (in alphabetical order) are the likes of Blur, Lou Reed, the Stooges and Hank Williams

5 pts Lou Reed (repeat)

4 pts Wilco (repeat)

3 pts Pink Floyd - Some good stuff in there, but not nearly as great as many think, and with far more filler on those albums that many will admit to. Time for these dinosaurs to quit walking the earth.

2 pts Simon and Garfunkel - Some wonderful songs, but the vocals were often too precious and the lyrics too pretentious. Honestly I don't listen to 'em anymore.

1 pt Sex Pistols (repeat)

1. Hank Williams

Well, he's got 2 decent songs if you like the genre, but that's all. How did he last so long?

2. Public Enemy

Just dull. Maybe they were cute back then, but they're way overrated.

3. OutKast

A few great songs, and a huge set of failed experiments. Mostly awful lyrics.

4. Parliament/Funkadelic

They're cool, and have some really neat moments. But they get really old really fast.

5. Beck

Randomness. Boring.

Sinder,

Obviously you don't know country
You just can't get rid of Hank Williams with just a few words like that.
I happen to love "the genre" and I can tell you Hank is a major artist and a great influence to rnr
You're not gonna make a lot of friends here if you lack respect to big artists here.
Bad beginnings !

Yeah. Whatever.

by the way welcome to the forum

Thanks.

Hank Williams is still bad, though. Even though "I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive" and "Your Cheatin' Heart" are alright.

ok that's your opinion
sorry to jump at you like that
I'm a little sensitive on the HW subject, but this is not a country forum and I know he'll soon have to go

what about "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"? That's a great tune!

I'm sorry too. I was trying to preserve the atmosphere of the thread.

A la "Wilco's a barely passable atmosphere group."

Sure Hank's great.

You're not bitter that I don't think much of Wilco, are you?

Of course not, man.

Good, because I was ready to think otherwise.

No one should ever take me seriously.

Duly noted.

1 Pink Floyd
2 Blur
3 The Clash
4 Van Morrison
5 Bruce Springsteen: it seems ironic that the long standing torch bearer for disgruntled blue collar America should be nicknamed 'The Boss'. I just don't understand the awe and reverance that so many people have for this guy. Jon Landau, or possibly his optician, has a lot to answer for.

Re: no survivors means no survivors_aka_:: why are they still here?!?

1. R.E.M.
2. Pink Floyd
3. Nirvana
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Neil Young

1.jonmarck
2.EdAmes
3.Netjade
4.sonofsamiam
5.Sinder Velvin

8))... good call, young padawan..

as i said before... that f***ing canadian bastard's gonna ruin us all-- cheers

Next day's most handsome project of the month:
Jonmarck asking "How much closer am I sitting to those freaks from the Isles of Chene. n' yy.a." Robot Chicken did not rob England by now... dhhank. you..

Wha..? Number 2!!?? Talk about always the f###ing bridesmaid.

Same votes as last week:

1. Bob Marley and the Wailers
2. The Who
3. Simon and Garfunkel
4. Aretha Franklin
5. The Beatles

1) OutKast

....honestly? How could these guys get anywhere NEAR, err, "Light My Fire," "Riders on the Storm," or "Roadhouse Blues"? "SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE!?!?" Easily one of the worst musical acts to happen in the last 20 years, and that is saying a lot (Props to Phil Collins).

2)Beck

Beck sucks. That's all I have to say.

3)Public Enemy

Are you jokin'?

4) The Sex Pistols

Never been a punk fan, and the Sex Pistols didn't even do "intelligent" punk like the Ramones or the Clash.

5) Bjork

My American/British music fascism forces me to slay this foreign dragon.

If Beck sucks, what is the basis for all of the acclaim? Are the vast majority of critics wrong or could it be that you don't get what Beck is doing?

I'd also like a clarification of the comment "Are you joking?" for Public Enemy. Given that there are very few hip-hop artists left on Survivor, and you don't seem to be a fan of either Outkast or P.E., I think a more honest answer would be that you are just not a fan of hip-hop.

I haven't listened to a complete Pub. Ene. album, but it will be a long time before I vote them out, because they are almost the essential groundbreaking act for an entire style of music and generation of music listeners. I don't understand how they can be dismissed completely as a joke, given that they are in the company of about 60 or so artists now. Outkast are a little goofy, I admit, but still respectable.

I would say if you can say something intelligent, don't say anything all, but Survivor rules require you to say something, so that's that.

I'm going to try to keep Public Enemy around for a while just for "911 is a Joke".

....honestly? How could these guys get anywhere NEAR, err, "Light My Fire," "Riders on the Storm," or "Roadhouse Blues"? "SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE!?!?" Easily one of the worst musical acts to happen in the last 20 years, and that is saying a lot

And to hop on with the rebuttals, both OutKast and PE have about 15-20 tracks better than anything by The Doors (who were generally bad lounge music mixed with sub-high school poetry) and most stuff by Cream. JUST MY OPINION, of course.

I'm happy you are attacking someone else, and not me for my disliking of Marvin Gaye and James Brown :)

Rap.

5 points: Chuck Berry - Repeat. Still here, still remaining here I imagine.

4 points: Ray Charles - Repeat

3 points: Parliament/Funkadelic - Repeat

2 points: Pink Floyd - Repeat

1 point: Curtis Mayfield - I'm definitely turning into a fan, but compared to the competition, I'm not enough of a fan.

it's not the fact that you don't like these artists that we are angry at, it is the way you do that

Provokingis easy (especially when you're behind a computer screen
Arguing and expressing ideas is anothe rmatter

"I haven't listened to a complete Pub. Ene. album, but it will be a long time before I vote them out, because they are almost the essential groundbreaking act for an entire style of music and generation of music listeners."

If this is the rule of thumb for this game then why is Kraftwerk gone?

You've got me, AKO. I would have kept them around until the top 20.

And I didn't vote for Kraftwerk once! Just defending myself and how I'm following my "rule", which isn't necessarily how other people are voting.

I think Jonah's rule is an admirable one--but I don't always follow it myself--for starters, I did vote for Sinatra. I don't remember if I ever got around to Kraftwerk, although I definitely would have by now.

So, AKO, how do we choose whom to kick out? I'm leaving that up to each individual voter's good judgment. I think it's safe to say that everybody here has had a favorite artist get the boot...in fact, another of my top ten is about to leave us when the Week 13 thread goes up in about 30 seconds...

Nicolas, don't be angry. We're just trying to be funny.

I'm happy you are attacking someone else, and not me for my disliking of Marvin Gaye and James Brown

I wasn't attacking you back then, just hoping you'd give Marvin & JB more of a chance in the future! Sometimes people here a single or 2 and dismiss an artist out of hand, and then they unfairly miss out on so much good music.

As far as my recent comment, I was attacking The Doors, not the poster.

ok sinder I just read your message this morning not well awoken