Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: 2008 Acclaimed Music Songs Poll: The Results (Part 1)

161. Prince and the Revolution- Little Red Corvette (1982)

Prince - Little Red Corvette / All the Critics

Total points: 163.20

Place in the 2005 poll: 150

Appears on: 6 ballots

Ranked by:

Rocky Raccoon (25)
Mark Propp (39)
Midaso (51)
Schleuse (70)
BillAdama (100.5)
Schwah (17

Prince strikes again! No Youtube video, but you can hear the song by clicking the image below and clicking the link at the very bottom of the page, in small writing, no less!

160. The Smashing Pumpkins- Tonight, Tonight (1995)

Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight / Meladori Magpie / Rotten Apples / Medallia of the Gray Skies

Total points: 163.44

Place in the 2005 poll: unranked

Appears on: 5 ballots

Ranked by:

Anthony (9)
Pop Elton (42)
Lonesome Panda (5
BillAdama (100.5)
Slush (144)

159. The Flaming Lips- Do You Realize?? (2002)

The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize??

Total points: 163.48

Place in the 2005 poll: unranked

Ranked by:

Eduard (24)
Dumbangel (36)
Honorio (51)
Ozphoenix (86)
Mo (125)
Andre (126)

Good teamwork, John

So glad Biggie made it

That Brooklyn bullshit, we on it

158. Blur- Song 2 (1997)

Blur - Song 2

Total points: 164.15

Place in the 2005 poll: 28

Appears on: 9 ballots

Ranked by:

Michel (40)
Rocky Raccoon (4
Eduard (56)
Toni (119)
Pop Elton (144)
Ozphoenix (147)
Mo (185)
Ajackson (190)
Midaso (192)

Do you realize the sun doesn’t go down? It’s just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

157. Mercury Rev- Goddess on a Hiway (199

Mercury Rev - Goddess on a Hiway

Total points: 164.28

Place in the 2005 poll: 349

Appears on: 4 ballots

Ranked by:

Mo (4)
Mitchell Stirling (19)
Rune (155)
Honorio (172)

That's fun to see that some songs did made it there because of a few high votes while others get acclaimed from more people but less intensively... well that's not that fun in fact but I would do anything to lose time instead of looking for a job...

"Tonight, Tonight" - now THAT'S a great tune. And a great Dayton/Faris video.

156. David Bowie- Space Oddity (1969)

David Bowie - Space Oddity / Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud

Total points: 165.43

Place in the 2005 poll: 95

Appears on: 5 ballots

Ranked by:

Henrik (
Giuseppe (34)
Stammer (84)
Michel (113)
Pop Elton (115)

I could swear that I put some of these songs on my list, such as Tonight, Tonight, but they must have just missed the cut. I could have contributed some points to a lot of these tunes if I made a 200 list. I still like what has transpired. Only 3 of mine in the top 200 so far.

155. Pixies- Gigantic (198

Pixies - Gigantic

Total points: 165.57

Place in the 2005 poll: 313

Ranked by:

Mo (10)
Stammer (49)
Mitchell Stirling (57)
Slush (107)
Schleuse (161)
Otisredding (196)

That's all, folks! I may return later (in about 10 hours), but I'd like your opinion on this. I like people to be able to witness it unveil live, but if I pick only certain times, that may seem unfair to people who would normally be asleep at those hours. Your input on this would be appreciated!

You should do it when it suits you best. You've already put a tremendous amount of work into this list (I guess), so you shouldn't have to re-schedule your life to please us even more. We're in here all the time anyway.

You do whatever you need to, Moonbeam. However, I would prefer bigger chunks at a time. But if I'm on, I'm on, if not, I'll catch up later.

I would say the same as Rune. Post it when you can. And many thanks...

Post it whenever in bigger chunks. We're too spread out across the world to get everybody involved so I think it would be better to unveil it quickly and talk about it afterward.

An idea is to have some kind of countdown this coming weekend. Let's say from 20-1. Then we can have chunks of 20 twice a day from now on etc.

Does everyone really find more time to be online during the weekend? That's the time I'm away from a computer the most. I guess I can be online during work though.

We are one bunch of ungrateful...post it whenever! :)

Bowie, Prince and Pixies...now I wait for some Neil Young!

Catching up here -- and what a show to catch up on! I fear quite a bit of work is likely to get postponed in favour of watching you-tube clips :-)

Suit yourself about further postings, Moonbeam, and thanks.

Thanks Moonbeam !
post whenever you can !

Looks pretty good so far - just catching up with it. It was my 21st birthday yesterday so as you can imagine,not too much computer time...

Two comments for:
- Rocky Raccoon: sorry, sorry, sorry. I forgot your (great) AM End of Year Polls when I’ve talked previously of ALL the polls. And sorry again for not participating. During 2007 I was busy listening to 90s music (and I predict a 80s revival during 2008) . Now I’m beginning to listen to some 2007 music. By the way I’ve found quite dissapointing Radiohead’s “In Rainbows”. I mean, it’s not a bad album, but while songs like “Let Down” grabbed you by the balls till it makes you cry, now I often find myself thinking in anything else and not paying attention to the songs of “In Rainbows”. And in times with that musical overexposure is quite unforgivable that an album fails to grab your attention again and again.
- Slush: I’m glad that you mentioned Granada talking about “Spanish Bombs”. In fact there’s some connection between The Clash and Granada. Joe Strummer lived there for a while, he produced in the early eighties a record by 091 (a mythical band from Granada) and there was a tribute concert there after Strummer’s death. Granada is a wonderful city filled with history, beauty (La Alhambra) and... party!! A friend of mine studied in Granada University and she described this period as the happiest of her life. Me, I find quite difficult concentrate in study having so many charms out there...

By the way, talking bout 2007 and having "Sound of Silver", "In Rainbows" and "Neon Bible" yet (and waiting to come "Person Pitch" and "Strawberry Jam" with the Rockdelux subscription), what should be my next purchase? Should I trust critics of all over the world and go to M.I.A.'s "Kala"? Or should I trust the (much better) panel of experts of AM Forum and buy The Natonal's "Boxer"?
Probably the second option would be far better

Les deux, mon capitaine, as we say in French
Both have their qualities
Kala is very original, fun and modern
Boxer is more "classical" (I mean by this forum's standards) but it's a good album, that needs a few listens (i only gave it 2, and it grew and I hope the next will still unravel things)
But you should try Wilco's album as well. (that's my personal advice)

As Hororio, I also hope discs Animal Collective and Panda Bear (gift Reckdelux by subscription).
I do not recommend The National. It is a music that is spent listening to the third. Of the discs that I have for 2007 is the least that I liked. After the highly acclaimed Arcade Fire, Radiohead and LCD Soundsystem, I recommend PJ Harvey.

The National, obviously. It's the best album of this century! In fact, I'm going to listen to it right now. Again. It never gets tiresome.

Something more about Grenada.

There is a proverb that says: "Is there anything worse than being blind: being blind in Granada"

Don't worry Honorio, I didn't take offense. The M.I.A. and National albums are quite different, so it depends on your preference. 'Kala' is a wildly imaginative global dance party, while 'Boxer' is a subtle and understated album that grows on you. I liked both, but prefered 'Kala.'

I'm not a huge fan of the National neither.
For Kala, well as Galang it has some very huge tracks (let's say Jimmy, Bird Flu and Paper Planes) but I don't like it as much as a whole, to me M.I.A. should be in the top of 00s ranking for songs but not so much for albums.
Strawberry Jam is my best grower of the year, songs like Peacebone or Fireworks impress me more and more every time I hear them... and it is also the biggest surprise of the year since I really didn't like Feels.
Panda Bear's album has convinced me less, I more or less only like Bros.

So I would advice you to purchase New Moon, but I might suffer from a total lack of objectivity.

Honorio, it is preferable to hear a hundred times either of the first two records Tindersticks (an important reference for The National but without ever reaching the tenderness and passion of Mr. Staples) to spend money on The Boxer of The National.

I am obsessed with Peacebone (included on the disc gift Go-Mag magazine, January 2008). I am hooked locally but my family wants me to take home. They do not support these noises and the shouts.

Well, thanks a lot, boys, I will follow all of your indications. My next purchases will be:
- The National (otis, it was not your intention but the Tindersticks analogy has created even more interest in me).
- M.I.A.
- Wilco
- PJ Harvey
About Granada there’s another sentence: “Quién no ha visto Graná no ha visto ná” (please pronounce it with Andalucian accent). Translation: “Who hasn’t seen Granada he hasn’t seen anything yet”. Now, Otis and Slush, we could ask the Granada Tourist Office for some monetary retribution.

And Elliott Smith too...

Honorio, you remember that we are musical friends, right? To make it easy for you, I'm posting my top 10 of 2007 again.

1. Studio - West Coast / Yearbook 1 (www.myspace.com/sstudio)
2. Burial - Untrue
3. Radiohead - In Rainbows
4. Jens Lekman - Night Falls over Kortedala
5. Cinematic Orchestra - Ma Fleur
6. Feist - The Reminder
7. PJ Harvey - White Chalk
8. Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
9. Gravenhurst - The Western Lands
10. M.I.A. - Kala

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the new Radiohead so much. I find more and more that it's their 00s output that I really love.

Of course, Henrik, I will look for the Studio album too. And the Band of Horses too, if I'm not ruined by then.
About "In Rainbows" it's a good album but I see it quite unadventurous, not searching for new ground.

Oh yeah, 'Cease To Begin' has quickly climbed up to my #3 album of the year and 'Is There A Ghost' my #7 song. Thanks for that suggestion by the way Anthony.

Happy to hear it, Neo! (by any chance, were you able to check out their debut?)

I should mention, Boxer has grown on me considerably. My favorite song on the album (at this moment anyway) is "Mistaken for Strangers".

Yeah I have. I didn't like it as much as Cease To Begin, but it wasn't bad. Mistaken For Strangers is one of my least favorite (which still means great) songs on Boxer, but it has grown on me.

More about Granada (Honorio said, the Office of Tourism could send some financial compensation):

The best Spanish group of the past 15 years (I think that few discuss this) is from Granada. I am talking about LOS PLANETAS.

I think you Spaniards answered this one before, so perhaps I ought just search for it -- but what's the first Los Planetas album to get?

Los Planetas. Discography

1. Super 8 (1994)
2. Pop (1996)
3. Una Semana En El Motor De Un Autobús (1998)
4. Canciones Para Una Orquesta Química - Singles Y Eps 1993 - 1999 (2 CDs) - (1999)
5. Unidad De Desplazamiento (2000)
6. Encuentros Con Entidades (2002)
7. Contra La Ley De La Gravedad (2004)
8. Los Planetas - Singles 1993-2004 - Todas Sus Caras A – Todas Sus Caras B (Caja) - (2005)
9. La Leyenda Del Espacio (2007)

4 and 8 are very interesting compilation
In my opinion, they are very recommendable discs 3, 4 and 9

"Una semana en el motor de un autobús", definitely

Thanks, Honorio and otisredding, I'll look into that. My Spanish is despicable, but I might learn some :-)

1 2 3