Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pablo Honey

Why is Radiohead's debut album Pablo Honey so underrated,so ignored? I picked it up yesterday not expecting much given the way people have brushed it off so much but I was pleasantly surprised. Sure,it's no OK Computer but as far as alternative rock albums go,I thought it was bloody good. Now if you'll excuse me,I'm off to listen to Pablo Honey...

Re: Pablo Honey

Simple.

Radiohead released subsequent records that were so rich musically, lyrically and thematically that they completely eclipse that album. To such an extent in fact, that at times, Pablo Honey doesn't even sound like it was made by the same band that made OK Computer (which came out only four years later). PH is so derivative and directionless that it's not even worth listening to.

As one RYM user writes: it's a "delightfully naïve and entertaining beginning to an incredible story."

(The Bends isn't much better, in my opinion, but at least it shows promise.)

As one RYM user writes: it's a "delightfully naïve and entertaining beginning to an incredible story."

Exactly - it's another side of Radiohead and it's not bad at all. In fact,Creep is their most acclaimed song I think...But the thing I don't understand is,The Beatles eclipsed their early albums with the likes of Revolver and The White Album but all the critics faithfully give 5 stars to all those early ones like With The Beatles(more or less rubbish in my opinion). But even the biggest fans of an experimental album like Kid A must realise it's not everyone's cup of tea and I'd perfectly understand how Pablo Honey and The Bends could be people's favourite Radiohead albums...

Calling "Pablo Honey" your favorite Radiohead album would be like saying you get more pleasure watching an Olympic swimmer dip his toe in the water from the starting blocks than seeing him kick ass by racing ahead of the other swimmers in the pool.

I agree with Midaso. Sure, 'Pablo Honey' is my 7th favourite Radiohead LP right now, but that's not a comment on the actual merits of the record, rather it's proof of the heights later scaled by the band. And honestly, I would say it's every bit as good all things considered as The Beatles' first 3 or 4 albums (with the possible esception of 'A Hard Day's Night').

Anyone Can Play Guitar and Ripcord are great songs. I think it gets passed over because it wasn't a very different sounding album. It was pretty much in line with everything else that was going on at the time. Also it wasn't really the first Radiohead album. It was cobbled together from demos and scattered sessions from the previous few years.

i don't like pablo honey much as all... i like the bends though... i think that's a great album. i recognize that OK Computer and Kid A are radiohead's best but i probably listen to the bends more than both of them.