The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2008 Acclaimed Music Songs Poll

My list might be done by Monday. (Work, being the main problem). I know it won't be included in the stats, but that probably won't make a difference. I'll throw it up with the individual lists in case anyone is interested.

While Moonbeam might wish he were many persons we can all listen to "Moonbeams" by Bent".

aww, no netjade on the list of submissions

We can also listen to "The Moonbeam song" by Harry Nilsson !

Beatles - 9
Prince - 9
U2 - 6
Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones and the Who - 5

That's eight artists with 49 out of 200 songs. Surprised I still had room for 26 songs from this decade; although one of them was a crossover.

Let's get a taste today Moonbeam! That would be awesome!

157 different artist in top 200:

Rolling Stones 5
Clash, Nirvana, Pixies, REM, Replacements 4
GBV 3 (Plus one Pollard Solo)
Janes Addiction 3

'60s 44
'70s 39
'80s 55
'90s 48
'00s 14

I don't think the low number for the current decade is a reflection on my opinion of the quality of music being put out now but just a need to see which songs pass the test of time criteria.

Glad to see GBV songs get some votes. A couple of theirs made my original short list of about 350 songs, but fell just short of the top 200.

I listed a cover version and an original of the same song in my list. Anyone do the same?

I can name that tune in one note.

Nope, not me Schwah.

Each of the 200 spots were too precious to waste on listing (what essentially boils down to) the same song twice.

I'm really bored at work. The excitement of seeing this list is adding to that boredom tenfold.

John - here's a boredom cure:
http://www.listverse.com

(Warning: opening above link will result in a severe decline in workplace productivity.)

Wowsers! Thank you Anthony. No more waiting for Digg to give me my list fix.

Springsteen - 5
Neil Young - 5
The Smiths - 5
Elvis Presley - 4
Merle Haggard - 4

Anthony -

Based upon previous discussions regarding the relative importance of the artist having written his or her own material, I knew I might elicit a reaction similar to yours. That's why I posted my question just now. To be even more provocative, I listed the cover version one place higher on the list than the original. I clearly disagree with your analysis that I have listed what boils down to the same song twice. If, as I believe to be the case with my pair, the cover version takes a very different approach to the song, you've got two very different recordings. I like both of them a lot (obviously), but for quite different reasons.

Hard to talk about this without ruiningthe surprise (and perhaps I should since I don't think either will make the master list), but I'm more curious as to what John believes my pair to be (assuming he was replying to my post).

Anthony -

Given prior discussions regarding the relative importance of the artist having written his or her own material, I suspected I might get a reaction similar to yours. That's why I wrote the post. To be even more provocative, I listed the cover version one placement higher than the original.

Obviously, I disagree that the two recordings essentially boil down to the same song, if, as I believe to be the case with my pair, the cover takes a very different approach to the song as written.

It's hard to talk about this without ruining the surpirse (and perhaps I should, since I doubt either of them will make the final list), but I'm more curious as to what John thought I was talking about (assuming he was responding to my post).

Sorry about the double post.

Hmm...who will win?

Beatles - A Day In The Life?
Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone?

The list has been compiled! I was thinking about starting to unveil it today, but it's Super Bowl Sunday, so I'm not sure if all of our eager posters will be able to participate as we go. I need your opinion on this- should I start?

Because I am stuck in the office during the Super Bowl (this week I am finishing up the last week of a month-long trial), and because I will be in Court all day tomorrow (see above), I vote for now. But recognizing that mostly everyone else will be either (1) asleep (because they live in the Eastern Hemisphere where the don't watch the game), or (2) watching the Super Bowl (because they live in the United States and haven't sold their soul to a corporate law firm like I have), you should probably wait.

By the way, whenever you do start it, start a new thread because it's annoying that this one has bumped to two pages.

I live in Norway, and couldn't care less about the Super Bowl. I don't sleep either, it's not midnight yet, and I haven't got work tomorrow. Start now.

About Superbowl.. I've heard it is the most watched television show in the world, but that's unbelievable to me. I have never met a single person, except a couple of Americans, who even cared about the sport.

There's no way that the most watched event is not the World Cup Final. Maybe they're talking about yearly event. But even that must lose out to the Champions League Final in recent years.