Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM Survivor: Week 11

The freighter has arrived, and will definitely be taking these castaways off our island:

64. The Police (23)
63. The Cure (19)
62. John Coltrane (17)
61. Blondie (16)

We don’t know what their agenda is, but we know they’re not done with: The Byrds (15), U2 (15), Joy Division (14), Nick Cave (13), Pulp (12), Leonard Cohen (10), Al Green (10), and Massive Attack (10).

No, that’s not a typo—U2 were one point away from expulsion this week. I’m guessing this might generate some discussion…

(By the way, if this week’s introductory comments are unclear to you, blame it on my excitement that the Lost season premiere finally airs this week…)

Five dozen artists are still on the island:

The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Beck, Chuck Berry, Björk, Blur, David Bowie, James Brown, The Byrds, Johnny Cash, Nick Cave, Ray Charles, The Clash, Leonard Cohen, Elvis Costello, Miles Davis, Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, The Flaming Lips, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, PJ Harvey, Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Massive Attack, Curtis Mayfield, Van Morrison, Nirvana, OutKast, Parliament/Funkadelic, Pink Floyd, Pixies, Elvis Presley, Prince, Public Enemy, Pulp, Radiohead, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols, Simon and Garfunkel, Sly and the Family Stone, Sonic Youth, Bruce Springsteen, The Stooges, Talking Heads, U2, The Velvet Underground, Tom Waits, The Who, Wilco, Hank Williams, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young.

Week 11 starts nowish.

Re: AM Survivor: Week 11

Wow, I know there's quite a few people who dislike Bono here but voting them off at 60th is kinda harsh.

I'll just continue my crusade for these 5, however pointless.

1) Beck
2) Public Enemy - I was watching Ghost Dog the other day, which had some Public Enemy song in it which was amuzing, and decided to give Fear of A Black Planet another try (I gave up on It Takes..). Since they took the #2 spot from Nirvana, I suppose you can figure out how that turned out.
3) Nirvana
4) Parliament/Funkadelic
5) The Flaming Lips

1. Bob Dylan.
2. Van Morrison.
3. Bruce Springsteen.
4. Pixies.
5. U2.

5 points Sonic Youth
4 Springsteen
3 Simon and Garfunkel
2 Wilco
1 Lou Reed - Another artist that doesn't need to be on here as we approach the top fifty I imagine that VU will do well, deservedly until people who think they are just noise get them off before the top ten or so until then we don’t need Lou being here on the back if Berlin, New York and the good songs on Transformer. Not enough, he’s only here because of who he was.

Well, like we said, this is a contest about who's the most liked but the least hated. Some people have lots of reasons to hate U2, though I think taking them out before Pulp and the Sex Pistols is just plain silly.

1. Pulp
2. Leonard Cohen
3. Sex Pistols
4. Sonic Youth
5. Prince - I'm gonna get the ball rolling on the deportation of this purple pixie, even if it'll be a slow roll.

Back again:

1. MASSIVE ATTACK
2. THE BYRDS
3. JOY DIVISION
4. PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC

New this week:

5. SIMON & GARFUNKEL. Nothing but respect from this quarter, and they get extra points for going out on top with their best album, BoTW (even if that was only because they parted ways afterwards). They’re on my ballot this week because of their relatively scanty catalog, and because my interest in folk-rock drops to near zero after Dylan.

And now, a plea for help:

I have a rough idea of who my next five victims will be. However, there are three of them whose work I feel I don’t know well enough to make a call between them. So, I’m asking Survivordom Assembled for some guidance. Here are the three I want help with:

Nick Cave
Leonard Cohen
Curtis Mayfield

If you’re a fan of one of these three, I ask that you give me no more than three songs which might make me want to keep them off my ballot for a few more weeks (songs, not albums—I don’t have that kind of time right now).

I feel like I’m holding hostages…

1. U2 - This could be the week...
2. Massive Attack
3. Joy Division - I like one of their songs, but don't love it. Not enough joy.
4. Bjork
5. Aretha Franklin - I like her sixties stuff pretty well, but she overdoes it most of the time. Sorry.

Schleuse - I speak for Cohen. Three songs: The Future (great song), Bird On A Wire (classic melody), Hallelujah (I agree the cover was an improvement, but the basic material is supplied here).

1. Talking Heads 5 pts : although I think they will remain in light for some time (I know it's easy). And although my apreciation of them increases slowly
2. PJ Harvey 4 pts
3. NEW : Flaming Lips 3 pts. One excellent song (Race For The Prize), a good concept album (Yoshimi) original lyrics, but to me a bit complicated and caricatural sometimes. they're good, but they are the archetypal indie US band, and you know I'm not fond of this style
4.Joy Division 2pts
5. Pixies 1 pt

I'll speak for Curtis

3 songs

1.Pusherman
2. freddie's dead
3. move On Up

Love the pusherman.

1. Outkast
2. Pulp
3. Public Enemy
4. Sex Pistols
5. Parliament/Funkadelic - I'm voting for them because I'm not familiar with their music. That's also the reason I hadn't voted for them earlier. I was hoping to see them voted off earlier so I wouldn't have to vote for them myself. Anyway, the time has come.

Nicolas, I don't think its fair to call the Flaming Lips the "archetypal indie US band." I mean, how many other US indie bands have released a four CD set intended for simultaneous play on four separate CD players. That alone merits a pass to the next round.

Well, I'm not totally versed in Nick Cave, but I know that I'm a bigger fan of his music when it's more lush or when he just rocks the hell out. A lot of his stuff is a little too sparse for me, which means I really just can't get into his 80s stuff that much.

Good rock songs are "Thirsty Dog," and especially "No Pussy Blues" or "Love Bomb" as Grinderman.

My absolute favorite song of his is "Supernaturally" off the Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus collection. Also good off that set is "Breathless," "There She Goes, My Beautiful World" and "Nature Boy."

Okay, that's convoluted, my top 3:

"Supernaturally"
"No Pussy Blues"
"Breathless"

Coming to you from a blustering -32C Edmonton morning...

1. PULP
2. JOY DIVISION
3. SEX PISTOLS
4. PRINCE

And now, news at 5:

5. PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC

I’ve never been much of a funk fan; in fact, the closest thing you’ll find in my iTunes is Prince and the occasional hip-hop song featuring a heavily-borrowed sample. I attribute my funk-less palette to the emphasis on rhythm rather than melody (and oft hidden guitar); I can also do without the vamping and token horn blasts. With that said though, I appreciate its place, the musicianship involved (in this case, Bootsy and Eddie Hazel), and this group’s influence on modern music.

(Just an aside on U2 – is anyone not basing their vote primarily on Bono?)

I was about to suggest the exact same 3 songs in the exact same order Nicolas.

Hey guys have you listened to Maggot Brain? There's tons of love for Jimi Hendrix on this site so you should all get a hold of Maggot Brain and decide it Funkadelic really belongs on your list right now.

Curtis

3 songs

1.Pusherman
2. freddie's dead
3. move On Up

Hard to argue with those 3. I'll take a moment to plug "Right on for the Darkness", which isn't on a famous album but is an absolutely unbelievable track.

Curtis is one of my Top 5 artists -- I really hope he doesn't get kicked off anytime soon.

You guys are forgetting People Get Ready. Sure it was Impressions era but it's still a great song.

1. Wilco
2. The Byrds
3. Parliament/Funkadelic
4. The Who

5. The Clash - Yep, another of the untouchable in my list. The Clash made a first half of a 2LP that is so good that the entire album almost made my top 100 list (voting for only the first LP was not allowed, I think). But, well, I love the other artists more!!!

Now I'm really pissed! Both The Cure and Blondie are among my top 10 artists, and given who was left, they would have made my top 5!

Henrik, I have to find a way to indoctrinate you into the wonders of P-Funk. Have you tried Funkadelic (as opposed to Parliament)? There's some great, wild, more rock-oriented stuff from their earlier years.

Looks like I blew it last week. Anyway, here's my list this go-round...

1. U2 (repeat)
2. Lou Reed (repeat)
3. Wilco (repeat)
4. The Sex Pistols (repeat)
5. Nick Cave - I very much respect the man, and love a good number of his songs, but at this point he just doesn't belong in the upper echelon.

sonofsamiam, here's my comment to Parliament/Funkadelic:
"I know that this is serious stuff that shouldn't be taken too seriously. I do dig them, but they haven't made any albums that I love from start to end. But "Maggot Brain" is the best air guitar song ever!"

Maggot Brain is the only early Funkadelic album I've got though.

Mothership Connection is pretty solid. It's got Tear the Roof off too.

I love "Who says a funk band can't play rock ?"

I have "Mothership" too (didn't count that as an early one) and, yes, it's pretty solid. Problem is I like all the other artists too...

schleuse, I just want to say that this game turned out to be much more fun than I thought, with lots of good discussions.

Thanks & keep it going guys!

1. Bjork
2. The Flaming Lips
3. Al Green

New:

(I know I'm going to be pilloried for at least one of these; Moonbeam, if I never post again on this site, I'm counting on you to call the police - sorry I helped vote Blondie off, but I didn't touch The Cure - Disintegration's my #1 album)

4. The Beatles - I know I know. I'm sorry, honestly. Obviously I'm an idiot. It's just been at least a year that a Beatles song has come on my ipod and I haven't skipped it, and not on principle. I'm also probably the only person on the planet who prefers early Beatles to later - I'd rather listen to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" ten times than any of their pseudo-psychedelic hippie music.

5. Pixies - Possibly the best pop band to incorporate odd time signatures into their songs on a regular basis (except for Soundgarden - just kidding). "No. 13 Baby" is downright brilliant. But again, I wouldn't need any extra hands to tell you how many times I've listened to any of their albums in toto since high school. I know, they're influential, etc. - every one of the 100 original artists is influential, and I'm not altogether concerned w/ influence. This is the part of the game when it's gonna come down to very particular personal tastes - and I'm very much looking forward to it.

This week I dislike the following five:

1. (5p) Chuck Berry - Good night, sweetheart, you got to go now. Time won't permit you to play no more now.

2. (4p) Bob Marley and the Wailers - When I listen to Bob Marley, I can't help thinking about the people I went to school with, who always were surrounded by fog. I didn't like their looks, their smell or the sounds their stereos were making.

3. (3p) Massive Attack - Because it's my first vote to Massive Attack, I should have written something very smart, but they said it best first: And now's about the time you gotta leave all these good people. Dream on.

4. (2p) Marvin Gaye - I just can't believe I'm the only one disliking him. What's going on?

5. (1p) James Brown - It's a wasted vote, I know, and I probably should have help The Byrds order their ticket to the mainland instead, but I just can't help it. It's too funky in here, open up the window, man!

Then I would like to apologize for helping Joni Mitchell off the island. I thought she had a dreadful voice, but then my girlfriend decided to put on my Ladies of the Canyon LP, and all of a sudden I remembered why I bought it. It's actually pretty nice, and her voice isn't half bad. So sorry, Joni, and Joni fans. To make it good again I'll consider listening to her new album some day.

Rune, are there things that you like ?

Your apology is like the Terminator 3. Much too late.

Of course I like something. Didn't you see me admitting to like Joni Mitchell?

Anyway, I've taken a look at my top 100 album list, and the following artists were represented. The number is their place in the AM artists list.

1 Beatles - 6 Bruce Springsteen - 8 The Who - 11 Beach Boys - 12 Velvet Underground - 16 The Clash - 18 Nirvana - 19 Radiohead - 27 The Smiths - 37 Sex Pistols - 43 Johnny Cash - 52 Oasis - 57 Kraftwerk - 61 PJ Harvey - 68 Björk - 71 The White Stripes - 82 Patti Smith - 87 Leonard Cohen

So yes, I do like some music. The list continues: 112 Franz Ferdinand - 122 The Strokes - 127 Jefferson Airplane - 132 Television - 150 Love - 177 Belle and Sebastian - 181 Suede - 194 Elliott Smith - 222 Richard and Linda Thompson - 228 Gang of Four - 248 The Libertines - 252 Bonnie "Prince" Billy - 256 Jeff Buckley - 281 - Interpol - 298 Violent Femmes - 311 Antony & The Johnsons - 323 Ryan Adams - 330 Loretta Lynn - 334 Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 347 Joanna Newsom - 379 The Shins - 428 Magnetic Fields - 455 Bright Eyes - 463 Manu Chao - 497 Godspeed You Black Emperor - 512 Garth Brooks - 531 Rufus Wainwright - 604 The Knife - 617 Neutral Milk Hotel - 650 They Might Be Giants - 681 Grandaddy - 835 The Coral - 893 Os Mutantes - 1111 Beirut - 1155 Phil Ochs - 1343 The Von Bondies - 1402 CocoRosie - 1424 Cody Chesnutt - 1898 Adam Green.

And then I even like some artists who aren't listed: 22 Pistepirkko, Babylon Zoo, Dimmu Borgir, The Faint, Diamanda Galas, Bruce Haack, Herman Düne, Daniel Johnston, Khanate, Langley Schools Music Project, Mansun, Moneybrother, Mountain Goats, New Race, Lucia Pamela, Poor Rich Ones, Satyricon, Soledad Brothers, Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players, Voltaire, Warlocks and Xiu Xiu.

lolz. is there a black person on that list?

ok, i'll count the clash.

Your apology is like the Terminator 3. Much too late.

And kinda late and better left unmade?

Anyone watching The Terminator series by the way? I kinda like it so far.

Err, I meant "And kinda bad and better left unmade?"

1. Blur - extremly overated brittish crap!
2. Pulp - Very overated brittish crap.
3. Sex Pistols - Third straight brittish band I realy do not want to see among the survivors.
4. Talking Heads - Please vote them off.
5. Tom Waits - Not for me.

Dr.Dré is in the house again, bringing you his fine (s)hitparade. What more can one wish than a newcomer at #5:

1 pt for Pulp - The 90's were quite pulpy, with Pulp Fiction, Jerry Springer (how pulp can you go?) and this britsy poppy Pulp. Different Class is really something different, with its brilliant voted-#1-in-the-AM-forum-90s-poll Common People.

Nothing new, but still climbing one spot:
2 pts - Al Green
3 pts - Parliament/Funkadelic
4 pts - Leonard Cohen

And steady at #1 is still good old ... Nick Cave, well worth 5 points.

Well, mesa go down under and have some nice holiday in New Zealand. Mesa lika dis a lot!

Take care and cu in March.

Greg wrote: "lolz. is there a black person on that list?"

Yes, there is. But I didn't know I had to include people for their skin colour. I thought what counted was if I liked the music they made.

5 points. Nick Cave- Bump these two up for a week
4 points. Joy Division
3 points. Tom Waits- Why won't you go away!
2 points. Blur
1 point. Johnny Cash

I'm not sure why you said goodbye with a Chico Marx impression, but...

Bon voyage, Dre.

(And since we're talking about Terminator for some reason--speaking of apocalyptic movies, I saw Cloverfield last night. It was pretty clever, but the shaky handheld camera left me feeling like I was gonna throw up for several hours afterwards. And I was raised on MTV.)

Can't spend too much time on this. Works killing me, and I've got my song list to finish:

Returning votes:

1) Joy Division
2) Van Morrison
3) The Flaming Lips
4) Tom Waits

New Vote:

5) The Stooges -- Strong rock, but feels a little too primitive to me. Would like a little better songcraft.

With Schwah's ballot, we're now down to a mere 15 artists who have received no votes yet.

I'm stunned (but happy) that nobody's voted for the Stooges before this. They're 26 places lower than the next-lowest artist with no votes, and their small, unpolished, obscure catalog seems to fit the profile of an early victim--the Survivor artists most similar to them are, I think, T. Rex and the Ramones, both long gone.

And speaking of Iggy's boys, and since I seem to be in movie mode this week, it's nice to see the Stooges get a prominent name check in the film Juno. Which, apart from being a brilliant movie, is worth it for the soundtrack, dominated by Moldy Peaches/Kimya Dawson, but (he checks Amazon) also features VU, Cat Power, Sonic Youth, Belle & Sebastian, Buddy Holly, Mott, AND my favorite Kinks song.

I agree, very nicely compiled soundtrack on Juno. If it wasn't for that fact that some bands disbanded and some artists died, you'd almost say they made the album together.

Oh, and a great movie too. By the way, did anyone see "There Will Be Blood" yet? It's probably the only movie from 2007 that has a chance of dropping Juno out of the top 5, but it doesn't come out until late February here.

Well, we're getting off topic, but my top five movies from 2007 were:

1. I'm Not There
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Juno
4. No Country for Old Men
5. Persepolis

The top 2 are masterpieces (so, yes, Neo, go see it). Anyone who likes Dylan needs to see I'm Not There.

My top 5 this year:

1) No Country For Old Men
2) I'm Not There
3) American Gangster
4) Four Months, Three Weeks and Two Days
5) Juno

I really wish they would just release movies at the same time throughout the world..

Alright, lets get back on topic.

movies!

1) Silent Light
2) No Country for Old Men
3) The Man from London
4) There Will Be Blood
5) Ratatouille

No votes for Control? Probably my favourite film of 2007 (haven't seen I'm Not There).

3:10 To Yuma and Eastern Promises were great. I haven't seen anything still in theaters but I'm sure There Will Be Blood, American Gangster and No Country will all be great.

Wow. I didn't realize (and am surprised) that I was the first to vote on the Stooges. No offense, everyone. Just doing my job.

Oh, I'll do a movie list just to spread some love for a movie nobody is spreading love for:

1. There Will Be Blood (by a hair over #2)
2. No Country for Old Men
3. The Simpsons Movie
4. Juno
5. Hot Fuzz

However, I haven't seen Persepolis, 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, Into the Wild, Atonement, Michael Clayton, Sicko, Sweeny Todd, Control, Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, No End in Sight, Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Across the Universe, etc.

The stooges weren't going to be too far away for me. They're cool and all but Search and Destroy was the only song that sticks with me.

I didn't even notice they were still here, they're probably somewhere around Flaming Lips so no harm there.

The Stooges aren't dreamy, beautifully orchestrated or epic so they have no place on the AM forums...

Just kidding guys. Kind of.

Seriously though, Fun House is one of the greatest albums ever: It defines rock and roll like no other album ever made.

1pt - James Brown
2pts - The Flaming Lips
3pts - U2
4pts - Massive Attack
5pts - Wilco

Phew, the Cure are finally gone. Now we can just drink all the coconut milk on the island instead of having to donate it so that Robert Smith can use it to maintain his goofy hairstyle.

1) Nick Cave - I don't mind the gloomy Aussie, but not minding someone doesn't keep them on the island. Is he really one of the top 60 artists of all time?
2) Ray Charles - He's OK.
3) Leonard Cohen - I couldn't be more neutral on this guy if I was from Switzerland.
4) Nick Drake - He's back on the list, because now we're starting to get down to great artists, and he's not one of them.
5) Curtis Mayfield - He might be "super," and he's certainly "fly," but I don't think he's "Superfly."

On deck (in alphabetical order) are the likes of Blur, Joy Division, Massive Attack, Lou Reed, the Stooges and Hank Williams

"The Stooges aren't dreamy, beautifully orchestrated or epic so they have no place on the AM forums.."

Considering we just got rid of the Police, The Cure and John Coltrane while the Stooges and (...sigh...) Pulp are still around, I think you're a bit off base.

Maybe then, it's because it rebelled against the music that is cherished here? I was just kidding. I said kind of, but I was for the most part. There is a certain type of music that tends to have mass appeal here, but I'm not trying to lump everyone into some kind of group thought.

I love the Beatles and Beach Boys too but when you consider the music that was being made when "The Stooges" and "Fun House" came out you have to give it credit. Then, when you consider that the music stands the test of time you have to consider it classic. In my opinion The Stooges have been just as influential on modern rock as The Beatles. I'm going to get some crap for that but it's totally true. What would punk have been without them and where would rock be today without punk? You could make a case that The Stooges were more influential than the Beatles really but I won't go there.

I guess the Stooges are here because of their influence and also thanks to Iggy Pop
They were a great band, inventive and primal at the same time

Wow, the 3rd week or so in a row where I paste the same list.

1. The Byrds
2. Hank Williams
3. Al Green
4. Van Morrison
5. Bob Marley and the Wailers

5 points)The Flaming Lips
4)Bjork
3)Pulp
2)The Byrds
1 point) Wilco : just looks like the intruders in a list of trully major bands/artists

Hey Jo:

I need explanations of your choices for your ballot to count. Thanks, and welcome to the island.

1 U2
2 The Clash
3 Blur
4 Pink Floyd
5 Van Morrison:this one pains me a bit.I love Them, I love 'Moondance', and 'Astral Weeks' is one of the greatest, most timeless albums ever released. Sadly, the flipside involves an obnoxious egomaniac coasting through three decades plus worth of anaemic MOR bullshit.

I can't believe anyone saying that Mothership Connection is a good album. It only has 2 good songs & there's nothing going on with the rest. Funkentelechy vs The Placebo Syndrome is clearly better. I don't see P-Funk being good with albums, but they kept putting out a few decent ones per year.
They came out with over 20 albums in the 70's, and a juicy box set can be made out of it.

I think Mothership is pretty solid. Handcuffs is retarded but the rest works well.

How is that? Have you listened to other funk albums?

No...in fact I've never ever heard another funk album in my entire life. I live behind a funk protection shield that filters groovy basslines, horn sections and gospel choirs before their sound hits my ears. I think broadening my horizons would result in cranium overload and my skull would explode into confetti. Then maggots would eat my brain.

Actually I used to co-host a funk show on campus radio and over the summer I played in a funk cover band. I'm a big funk fan.

"I can't believe anyone saying that Mothership Connection is a good album."

Really? In a world populated by 6 billion people you can't believe anyone would like that album? It would be a pretty boring forum if we all thought the same thing.

If that's a good album, then why is soul/jazz/funk so ignored overall? Of course there's gonna be people who like it, but when I hear one person say it, it makes me wonder how they would react to greater albums that they seem to not care for. They should be aware that the majority of this album sounds awful within it's genre, or else it's easy to assume that they aren't that familiar with it to begin with.

Alright Georgie, which albums have I not heard that make Mothership Connection sound awful?

To start off, I think it's the worst & most inconsistent album from Parliament-Funkadelic (Give Up The Funk & Starchild are great though) from 1970 up to around '78. Rock critics that dominate as list makers end up picking albums that contain famous songs from artists they feel should be represented so their lists wouldn't cause negative reactions, and that's probably why this album is more popular than it should, also it's their first album where Parliament's trademark style was introduced and that always seems to get points from critics. Most straight-ahead funk albums are likely to contain a lot of filler, so I won't be refering to that. Anyone who likes Parliament-Funkadelic should be interested in the huge & neglected world of Soul/Jazz/Funk, and that's why I'm seriously puzzled why it's so rare on this website. Right now I'll just say to everyone here to explore Dustygroove.com, and I'll recommend The J.B.'s "Hustle With Speed" from 1975 because it has virtually the same band as Mothership Connection and it's more consistent. Good that you like funk jonmarck, hopefully you also like Soul Jazz, and it could be talked about on this forum.

did that answer your question, jonmarck?

in case you're still confused, your instructions are

1) run to the nearest record store
2) buy the entire Soul/Jazz/Funk section of the store
3) learn to like it
4) burn copies of all these albums and send one to each AM member
5) then we can finally discuss Soul/Jazz/Funk on the forum

That actually won't be too tough since the funk/soul/jazz sections of the stores in my area are really limited. I usually have to dig through pawn shops to find good stuff.

5 points: Chuck Berry - Repeat. Still here, still remaining here I imagine.

4 points: Ray Charles - Repeat.

3 points: Parliament/Funkadelic - Bumped up to three points with Jacko out of the running.

2 points: Pink Floyd - Well, as it stands now, Pink Floyd is tied with Leonard Cohen on my list and I'm inclined to give the extra point to Floyd since I've known about them longer. I used to like them, but then I also used to smoke pot. I always thought it was odd that most of the group weren't drug users, but you had to be one yourself to truly love them (as far as I'm concerned).

1 point: Leonard Cohen - Great songwriter, but I'm not a fan of his voice.

Same votes as last week:

1. Bob Marley and the Wailers
2. The Who
3. Simon and Garfunkel
4. Aretha Franklin
5. The Beatles

As for the funk debate, I quite like funk myself (in fact it vies for the title of my favorite genre), and I love Mothership Connection. Mind you, I love Maggot Brain, Chocolate City, Up For the Downstroke, Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome and One Nation Under a Groove too.

I'm gonna do like schleuse and ask you guys to name me 3 Nick Cave songs, because I don't know his records and I might nominate him soon

PS : if possible not too noisy stuff, you know, I'm an old man

Nicolas, I think "Are You the One That I've Been Waiting For" from The Boatman's Call is for you. Also, I adore "Where the Wild Roses Grow", but that one you probably know already. But my biggest favorite is "Red Right Hand" from Let Love In, which is in my top 100 songs list.

I've listened at random to some stuff on deezer.com and I really like it. All these piano ballads are really great. And I like "No pussy blues" (dark side of NC)

To that great list I'd like to add Henry Lee, a song with PJ Harvey (which is on Murder Ballads).

Thank you
in fact i already knew the duets with Kylie and Pj (both good) but not the other 2 you mentioned Henrik
thanks

nicolas, for three very different sides of Cave, try

1. Stagger Lee - from Murder Ballads, completely over-the-top, very vulgar and very funny
2. Slowly Goes the Night - from Tender Prey - loungey and darkly romantic, I suspect you'll like this one
3. People Ain't No Good - from The Boatman's Call, one of my favorite albums, a beautiful misanthropic ballad, very honest and knowingly paradoxical - you can't genuinely hate humanity and write songs this tender

has seen The Proposition? fantastic movie, i think

I'll listen to them... even if it is too late for Nick in this game
I have to find Boatman's call as well