Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OOR Magazine: Best Dutch albums in 50 years pop music (50 Jaar Nederpop)

This list might not qualify for AM ranking, but its nevertheless interesting, I hope.

OOR magazine celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Dutch pop music scene (aka 'Nederpop'). According to the magazine, the third oldest pop scene (after USA and UK)!!??

100 pop journalists submitted their 10 favorite Dutch albums, which resulted in the following compilation of best all-time Dutch albums: http://www.muzieklijstjes.nl/Oor50jaarNederpop.htm.

The top 10:
1. Urban Dance Squad - Mental Floss For The Globe (1989)
2. Herman Brood & His Wild Romance - Shpritsz (197
3. Spinvis - Spinvis (2002)
4. Johan - Pergola (2001)
5. Opgezwolle - Eigen wereld (2006)
6. Bettie Serveert - Palomine (1992)
7. Daryll-Ann - Daryll-Ann Weeps (1996)
8. Golden Earring - Moontan (1973)
9. Extince - Binnenlandse Funk (199
10. Boudewijn De Groot - Voor De Overlevenden (1966)

Re: OOR Magazine: Best Dutch albums in 50 years pop music (50 Jaar Nederpop)

My personal #1 Dutch album is their #10, an epic album really and the only Dutch album in my top 150 albums. Boudewijn de Groot is really the Bob Dylan of the Netherlands, even though he didn't write most of his own material, due credit for Nijgh.

Good to see the oldest rock band still together, Golden Earring, (founded 1 year before the Rolling Stones) having a spot in the list. Spinvis and Johan are nice too, but I really think these previous two (not sure about Moontan for a choice but it is one of their best albums) should be #1 and #2.

No album from The Gathering ?
It's the one of the two dutch bands I really know (the other is The Nits). Some of their records are quite good.
Isn't Urban Dance Squad this band who sounds like Rage Against The Machine and had a minor hit in the early '90s with a song called "demagog" ?

Gathering has an album on #25. And yeah, according to wikipedia that's the one.

Dumbangel: Correct, "Demagogue" is from UDS. They were time companions of Living Colour, bringing similar crossover music at the late 80's. I would characterize them as a bit softer than Rage, but you're right, Demagogue sounds like Rage Against The Machine.

I bought the CD "Mental Floss For The Globe" back then and really loved it, nowadays it's one of those classics that collect dust in my CD cupboard, I hardly ever listen to it anymore. "Deeper Shade Of Soul" is a nice song on that album.

Boudewijn de Groot is the Dutch Dylan, indeed. Funny enough I don't have any albums from him. How come? I really don't know ...

My favorites out of this 10 are Bettie Serveert and Johan, both good enough for my top 100.

Strangely, I only own two Dutch albums, both of them by Bettie Serveert(Palomine and Log 22) and both excellent.

The new album by Lucky Fonz III is fab, and I saw it a long way down the list. If there's 130 or so better albums by Dutch artists, I should really check out the scene.