Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2007 AM Pazz & Jop Results

A total of 38 voters participated this time around, casting votes for 141 albums. Here are the top 30, which, coincidentally are all the albums that received 30 or more points. Number of votes is listed in parenthesis.

1. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver 335 pts (21)
2. Radiohead - In Rainbows 306 pts (21)
3. The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible 237 pts (22)
4. The National - Boxer 228 pts (16)
5. Blonde Redhead - 23 113 pts (11)
6. PJ Harvey - White Chalk 100 pts (11)
7. M.I.A. - Kala 86 pts (11)
8. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga 80 pts (11)
9. Of Montreal - Hiss Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? 79 pts (6)
10. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky 67 pts (7)
11. Feist - The Reminder 63 pts (6)
12. Battles - Mirrored 59 pts (8)
13. Caribou - Andorra 57 pts (5)
14. Studio - Yearbook 1 54 pts (2)
15. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away 53 pts (6)
16. The Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare 52 pts (6)
17. Burial - Untrue 51 pts (5)
18. Bruce Springsteen - Magic 47 pts (5)
19. Panda Bear - Person Pitch 46 pts (4)
20. The White Stripes - Icky Thump 45 pts (5)
21. Okkervil River - The Stage Names 44 pts (4)
22. Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover 43 pts (2)
23. The Apples in Stereo - New Magnetic Wonder 40 pts (4)
24. Besnard Lakes - Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse 40 pts (3)
25. Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala 38 pts (4)
26. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black 37 pts (3)
27. The Good, the Bad and the Queen - st 36 pts (4)
28. Bright Eyes - Cassadaga 36 pts (3)
29. Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha 35 pts (3)
30. Band of Horses - Cease to Begin 34 pts (2)

Re: 2007 AM Pazz & Jop Results

Great job Rocky. Not a very surprising list, which is to be expected with 38 voters, but I'm not suprised to see Person Pitch a lot lower than on the critics lists. It's not that it's a bad album, it's just quite overrated I think. It's good to see the National in 4th place after the big guns.

14th place for Studio, that's nice! 2 votes and 36 who have never heard "Yearbook 1", am I right? You can listen to some of the songs at http://www.myspace.com/sstudio.

I'm the only one who voted for 8 Diagrams? That's disappointing.

Yeah Henrik, probably. I hadn't heard of them until now but I've been listening for a bit and they sound pretty friggin' awesome.

I'm surprised that Burial did not get more votes. Didn't many of you praise the album when we discussed its high metacritic score?

Anyway, great work Rocky! Will you post the individual lists as well?

Yes, nice to see my favorite, Boxer, at #4. The last 6 weeks or so, I've been listening to it on almost a daily basis. I started to listen to their other albums as well and to be honest, Alligator sounds at least equally great. In other words, highly recommended!

Thanks for the Studio link, Henrik, some additional homework for me.

Sorry Henrik, I've heard Studio 1 but it wasn't in my top ten. Good album though! Would have expected more people to vote for Burial as well.

Clear to see that there was a very obvious top 4 there as well - massive gap between The National and Blonde Redhead. I like the list - I hope we do get to see the individual lists.

strange to see carribou and of montreal in the top 30. at their concerts in munich just have been about 30 people. most of them on the guestlist. at patrick wolf there have been about 500 and he is not listed.
poor patrick. poor ireland.

Caribou was only in my bubbling under, there are some wonderful songs in his album, especially She's The One which is for me one of the best track of the year, but there are also too many strange songs on which I have not found many interest
Deserves top 30 anyway

I'm just disappointed that, as often in our polls, there is no hip-hop (well, there is the strange Kala but that's all)

"hell hath no fury" didn´t make it 2006 nor 2007. last hiphop album i liked. ok there was k.i.z in germany...but that´s more an art thing. and who would care about kanye west without the justice-influence

At AllMusic, Studio's "Yearbook 1" is listed as a compilation, whereas "West Coast" is listed as an (ordinary) album from this Swedish duo. Not that I want it off the list, but didn't we exclude compilations from our polls?

Besides Studio, I'm currently discovering Band of Horses. Both albums sound very promising after first listen. The longer Studio tracks (Out There is 15+ minutes!) remind me somewhat of The Cure's Seventeen Seconds. Band of Horses sounds more 'familiar' to me, the singer's voice refers to My Morning Jacket. 'Detlef Schrempf' is a beauty! Well, those are some first impressions ...

I was the only one to vote for Strawberry Jam? Wha?

Really amazing showing for Blonde Redhead, and deservedly so.
As only three people voted for it, the record I'd like to recommend everyone track down is the Besnard Lakes album. I saw it billed as "Godspeed You Black Emperor meets The Mamas and the Papas" somewhere, which doesn't really do it justice, but does give some idea of the darkly beautiful mood of the record. Eight songs, every one a classic-wonderful album.

I will post individual lists in a couple of days. And to the person who noted 'Hell Hath No Fury' not making last year's list, it did score pretty well, but barely missed out on being listed. It is a great album, though.

Andre, Studio's "West Coast" LP came out last year as a vinyl release only. This year the album was eventually released on CD as "Yearbook 1", which also includes their 2006 single "No Comply"/"Radio Edit".

I didn't discover Studio until this year, but yeah, maybe I was cheating a bit. But it was worth it!

I would describe the music as a perfect mix of New Order and King Sunny Adé. Most of the "West Coast" songs include vocals in the first half and then continue in marvellous subtle afro-beat landscapes. The "No Comply"/"Radio Edit" single has more of a Madchester sound and is not as good as the rest IMO.

Coming to think of it, if "Yearbook 1" had been released as "West Coast CD" it wouldn't be listed as a compilation by AMG or anyone else. It's not more a compilation than say, the US version of "Are You Experienced?".

The track 'Out There' from Studio is also quite interesting. This almost 16 minutes long track deserves an album review on its own. Different music styles come across and smoothly transition into each other. Yes, a mix of New Order and King Sunny Adé works here as well, somewhere at 3/4 it's also turning into a nice reggae rhythm. By accident, my wife heard this track yesterday evening and now she wants to try it out and play while working out on our home trainer

Henrik, for the album and year classifications in AM, you take AllMusic as reference, right?

I just checked in RYM, where "Yearbook 1" is categorized as (normal) album. I know, in RYM new info is submitted by its own users and reviewed and accepted by its administrators (e.g. a valid source is always required). In that sense, over time this music encyclopedia at RYM is becoming more reliable than AllMusic, do you agree with that?

Either way, this year has started excellent, with great newbies in my collection like The Zombies, Band of Horses and Studio!

Henrik, for the album and year classifications in AM, you take AllMusic as reference, right?

No, I don't. Especially for early jazz albums, AllMusic has it wrong almost all the time, as they tend to use recording dates rather than release dates. Studio's album ("West Coast"/"Yearbook 1" combined) is currently included in the 2007 EOY spreadsheet (sitting at no. 74 if you haven't noticed) but will eventually be included at AM as a 2006 release.

I'm happy you like it!

Release dates are very tricky! Studios "Westcoast LP" was released in 2006 in a very limited edition. Something like 500 copies is a number that i have heared. This was however enough for some of the copies to end up at the right places and some magasines wrote very positive reviews around them. A pitchfork review form february last year is attached below. And in Sweden they actually was awarded best pop 2006 by the #1 radiostation. So what do you do as a undiscoverd artist when things is moving and you realise that you are in demand but you really need to put your first full album together. Studio took there limited release added some new stuff and went for a larger edition. Not unheard of?

Below is the link to the Pitchfork review.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/41151-yearbook-1

Um, I have to admit I first realised the King Sunny Adé similarities when I read that Pitchfork review...

Studio has also rendered some attention among mainstream artists this year. They were asked to do a remix of Kylie Minouge - 2 hearts. If you like the sound in "Life is a beach" and is also not to antagonistic to Kylie you should check it out.

Andre: I definatlly agree with you on your thoughts of "out there".

Every list that sums up people's votes I've seen this year has some combination of LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire, and Radiohead as their top three.

Well, not exactly. All three were in my top 10, but none in my top 3.

Rocky, can you give an estimate on when you can post the individual lists? Some of us are eagerly waiting ...

Hmm, I think I misunderstood your remark, BillAdama. I thought you meant our P&J lists, but you're writing about publicly published lists, I guess ... well, I'm getting tired. It's time to start the weekend anyway.

I mean, lists that are based on the votes of many different people.

I expect to have the individual lists posted sometime on Sunday. But I'm working in PST here, so it will be Monday for a lot of you.