Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Our forum album poll - an alternative list

Me too.

if you like Scott walker, you'll love The Divine Comedy
i think they are unknown in the States. Please check their first 4 albums, it is great baroque pop but from the '90s.
Everytime I mention them only FRench people seem to know them. I saw them on Netjade's list too.

The CD of BEGIN is out of print and very expensive to order, but it's available as Disc 1 of a 3-CD Millennium anthology called MAGIC TIME. That's not particularly easy to find, either, but at least it's in print. Any indie record store with a decent '60s selection should have it.

A note: BEGIN leans much more toward the pop side of the spectrum than the psych one - it's closer to the Association than to the United States of America. It helps to know what to expect going in; the album didn't really register with me until my second listen.

Thanks Harold. I'm on a mission to find me some Millennium! Hoo-hah!

It seems that Harold hasn't read what I wrote in an other thread 2 hours ago...

Oops! Sorry about that, Dumbangel. (I guess I got the disc number wrong, too.) Oh, well - not everyone reads every thread, so whoever misses your post will see mine.

I found some stray track from BEGIN just searching music blogs on Google and Elbo.ws. Wow! The tracks I heard are really great. The opening song, Prelude, has a drum beat that sound like its from the 1990s. Really great stuff (assuming the tracks I found are what they purport to be). I'm definitely going to order the album now. It's available on Amazon.

Oh, Loophole, you little rascal! I'm going there right now - we'll just see whose copy arrives in the mail first!