Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's your favorite EP release?

In honour of a few posts, schleuse, Stammer and me just exchanged, I would like to start this new thread. I know you have been and still are kinda busy with all these other polls around, but what is you favorite all-time EP release?

Let me give it a first try. Now I don't own so many of them, but here's my 10 to recommend to you:

1. R.E.M. - Chronic Town: Jangle pop galore.
2. Jason & The Scorchers - Fervor: Straight forward, never boring country rock.
3. Boards Of Canada - In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country: For those who can not handle electronic music for too long, try this EP. It's brilliant!
4. Ampersand - Ampersand: More jangle pop, from an obscure band that maybe none of you ever heard of. It's hard to get this 2000 release.
5. Iron & Wine - Woman King: Pure beauty!
6. 16 Horsepower - 16 Horsepower: The opener Haw alone is already worth a listen to this American folk.
7. The Sound - Shock Of Daylight: Not as good as the album From The Lion's Mouth, but close.
8. Pixies - Come On Pilgrim: I got this as add-on tracks on the Surfer Rosa CD, but this is a classic Pixies EP.
9. Iron & Wine / Calexico - In The Reins: Nice combo of Iron & Wine's singing together with Calexico's sound.
10. Sugar - Beaster: Another classic, a must for any 80's fan.

Re: What's your favorite EP release?

Ahum, Sugar - Beaster is from 1993. Ah well, it surely sounds so much like the 80's

And another one I just forgot, but should also be somewhere there in the 10: TV On The Radio - Young Liars.

I'll second your Pixies pick DrDre and add:

1. Mission of Burma Signals, Calls and Marches
2. Pavement Watery, Domestic
3. Fugazi s/t

Right, forgot about Mission of Burma as well.

Thanks for the other 2 recommendations, Stammer, only got albums from both Pavement and Fugazi.

I never bought any EP releases in a store (vinyl or on CD), probably because I thought it was more money for less music. Silly to think that, I guess, it is more about quality, not about quantity...

Any more EP recommendations?

John Cale's "5 Tracks" isn't half bad.

Good calls on 'Watery Domestic' and 'In a Beautiful Place Out In The Country'. Those two are classics and would probably be amongst my top five EPs, the other three being:
Breeders-Safari
My Bloody Valentine-Glider
Pavement-Perfect Sound Forever

Mission of Burma for sure.

The Dandy Warhols put out a couple EP's called Tales From Slabtown. Vol. 2 is the best with a cover of Hells Bells and Ohio and one of my favorite songs by them, Retarded.

My favorite YYYs album s/t and the Modern Age ep by the Strokes really takes me back.

Air - "Premiers symptômes" (my favourite EP ever)
Guillemots - "From the cliffs"
The Beatles - "Magical mystery tour"
Belle and Sebastian - "Dog on wheels"/"Lazy line painter Jane"/"3..6..9 seconds of light"
The Electric Soft Parade - "Human body EP"
Pixies - "Come on pilgrim"
Jens Lekman - "Maple leaves"
Oasis - "Whatever"/"Some might say"/"Wonderwall"

I forgot about Belle and Sebastian EP's. You could make a case that their best material has been released on EP.

Another one of my favorites is from a disbanded Minnesota group called The Hockey Night. They put out an EP in 2000 called The Hockey Night EP.

Phosphorescent - Weight of Flight.

A fantastic release by an underrated artis, every track is a gem.

some others that come to mind...

Akron/Family - Meek Warrior
Every EP with Iron & Wine
Pixies - Come on Pilgrim
Grizzly Bear - Friend EP
A Hawk and a Hacksaw - And the Hun Hangar Ensemble
Magnolia Electric Co. - Hard to Love a Man
Beirut - Lon Gisland
Animal Collective - People
Espers - The Weed Tree
TV on the Radio - Young Liars
Joanna Newsom - & the Ys Street Choir EP
Forest Fire - Psychic Love Star

My favorite B&S ep is "I'm Waking Up to Us."

anyone who hasn't heard at the drive-in's vaya should do so right now...

Step on the Beast by Eurythmics is my pick. It showcases the duo at their experimental best, at the height of their fame in '83.