Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM Forum Top 100 Albums: 2008 Forum - 2005 Forum

RADIOHEAD "OK Computer"_______________________________________________________1 - 1
THE BEATLES "Revolver"_________________________________________________________2 - 2
BOB DYLAN "Highway 61 Revisited"________________________________________________3 - 19
THE BEATLES "The Beatles"______________________________________________________4 - 4
THE VELVET UNDERGROUND "The Velvet Underground and Nico"_______________________5 - 8
THE BEACH BOYS "Pet Sounds"___________________________________________________6 - 3
THE CLASH "London Calling"_____________________________________________________7 - 11
THE BEATLES "Abbey Road"_____________________________________________________8 - 5
THE BEATLES "Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band"________________________________9 - 7
BOB DYLAN "Blonde on Blonde"__________________________________________________10 - 25
DAVID BOWIE "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars"____________11 - 9
PIXIES "Doolittle"_____________________________________________________________12 - 17
PINK FLOYD "Dark Side of the Moon"_____________________________________________13 - 16
RADIOHEAD "Kid A"___________________________________________________________14 - 29
NIRVANA "Nevermind"_________________________________________________________15 - 34
THE SMITHS "The Queen Is Dead"_______________________________________________16 - 6
LOVE "Forever Changes"______________________________________________________17 - 13
THE ROLLING STONES "Exile on Main Street"_____________________________________18 - 33
MILES DAVIS "Kind of Blue"____________________________________________________19 - 36
THE ARCADE FIRE "Funeral"__________________________________________________20 - 42
R.E.M. "Automatic for the People"_______________________________________________21 - 27
MARVIN GAYE "What’s Going On"______________________________________________22 - 15
THE BEATLES "Rubber Soul"__________________________________________________23 - 37
TELEVISION "Marquee Moon"_________________________________________________24 - 14
BOB DYLAN "Blood on the Tracks"______________________________________________25 - 28
THE WHO "Who’s Next"_______________________________________________________26 - 45
STEVIE WONDER "Innervisions"________________________________________________27 - 22
JIMI HENDRIX "Are You Experienced?"___________________________________________28 - 92
Bruce Springsteen – BORN TO RUN _____________________________________________29 - 0
Bob Dylan – BRINGING IT ALL BACK HOME_______________________________________30 - 0
BECK "Odelay"______________________________________________________________31 - 96
THE FLAMING LIPS "The Soft Bulletin"___________________________________________32 - 26
The Zombies – ODESSEY AND ORACLE__________________________________________33 - 0
LED ZEPPELIN "Led Zeppelin IV"_______________________________________________34 - 71
JIMI HENDRIX "Electric Ladyland"______________________________________________35 - 85
TALKING HEADS "Remain in Light"_____________________________________________36 - 41
U2 "Achtung Baby"__________________________________________________________37 - 31
VAN MORRISON "Astral Weeks"_______________________________________________38 - 50
PRINCE "Purple Rain"_______________________________________________________39 - 18
MY BLOODY VALENTINE "Loveless"___________________________________________40 - 23
The Rolling Stones – BEGGAR’S BANQUET______________________________________41 - 0
NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea"___________________________42 - 64
RADIOHEAD "The Bends"____________________________________________________43 - 38
Sufjan Stevens – ILLINOIS____________________________________________________44 - 0
NEIL YOUNG "After the Gold Rush"____________________________________________45 - 67
THE STONE ROSES "The Stone Roses"________________________________________46 - 10
Sonic Youth – DAYDREAM NATION____________________________________________47 - 0
R.E.M. "Murmur"___________________________________________________________48 - 49
JEFF BUCKLEY "Grace"_____________________________________________________49 - 48
The Rolling Stones – LET IT BLEED____________________________________________50 - 0
PIXIES "Surfer Rosa"________________________________________________________51 - 97
DAVID BOWIE "Low"________________________________________________________52 - 21
JONI MICTHELL "Blue"______________________________________________________53 - 54
THE STROKES "Is This It?"___________________________________________________54 - 93
U2 "The Joshua Tree"_______________________________________________________55 - 84
THE ROLLING STONES "Sticky Fingers"________________________________________56 - 35
OASIS "Definitely Maybe"____________________________________________________57 - 20
JOY DIVISION "Closer"_______________________________________________________58 - 12
PORTISHEAD "Dummy"______________________________________________________59 - 24
DAVID BOWIE "Hunky Dory"__________________________________________________60 - 59
PJ HARVEY "To Bring You My Love"____________________________________________61 - 74
JOHN LENNON "John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band"____________________________62 - 39
Paul Simon – GRACELAND____________________________________________________63 - 0
THE DOORS "The Doors"_____________________________________________________64 - 40
THE KINKS "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society"___________________65 - 76
Elvis Costello – THIS YEAR'S MODEL___________________________________________66 - 0
OASIS "(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?"______________________________________67 - 53
Prince – SIGN O' THE TIMES__________________________________________________68 - 0
PAVEMENT "Slanted and Enchanted"____________________________________________69 - 73
Wilco – YANKEE HOTEL FOXTROT______________________________________________70 - 0
PINK FLOYD "Wish You Were Here"_____________________________________________71 - 32
Nick Drake – FIVE LEAVES LEFT _______________________________________________72 - 0
TOM WAITS "Rain Dogs"______________________________________________________73 - 57
PULP "Different Class"________________________________________________________74 - 43
Van Morrison – MOONDANCE__________________________________________________75 - 0
Belle and Sebastian – IF YOU'RE FEELING SINISTER_______________________________76 - 0
Public Enemy – IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK________________77 - 0
THE SEX PISTOLS "Never Mind the Bollocks"_____________________________________78 - 77
MICHAEL JACKSON "Thriller"__________________________________________________79 - 66
The Band – THE BAND________________________________________________________80 - 0
JOHN COLTRANE "A Love Supreme"_____________________________________________81 - 60
Pavement – CROOKED RAIN, CROOKED RAIN_____________________________________82 - 0
The White Stripes – ELEPHANT_________________________________________________83 - 0
STEVIE WONDER "Songs in the Key of Life"______________________________________84 - 47
MASSIVE ATTACK "Blue Lines"________________________________________________85 - 88
The White Stripes – WHITE BLOOD CELLS_______________________________________86 - 0
Otis Redding – OTIS BLUE: OTIS REDDING SINGS SOUL___________________________87 - 0
Elvis Costello – MY AIM IS TRUE_______________________________________________88 - 0
BLUR "Parklife"_____________________________________________________________89 - 46
The Flaming Lips – YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS_________________________90 - 0
LCD Soundsystem – SOUND OF SILVER_________________________________________91 - 0
LOU REED "Transformer"______________________________________________________92 - 78
The Replacements – LET IT BE_________________________________________________93 - 0
Smashing Pumpkins – SIAMESE DREAM_________________________________________94 - 0
BJORK "Homogenic"_________________________________________________________95 - 83
Nirvana – UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK__________________________________________96 - 0
Massive Attack – MEZZANINE__________________________________________________97 - 0
Pearl Jam – TEN_____________________________________________________________98 - 0
Robert Wyatt – ROCK BOTTOM_________________________________________________99 - 0
Patti Smith – HORSES________________________________________________________100 - 0
JOY DIVISION "Unknown Pleasures"_____________________________________________0 - 30
SPIRITUALIZED "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"____________________0 - 44
NIRVANA "In Utero"___________________________________________________________0 - 51
THE VERVE "Urban Hymns"____________________________________________________0 - 52
BJORK "Debut"______________________________________________________________0 - 55
CHARLES MINGUS "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady"___________________________0 - 56
KRAFTWERK "Die Mensch-Maschine"___________________________________________0 - 58
TALK TALK "Spirit of Eden"____________________________________________________0 - 61
KING CRIMSON "Red"_______________________________________________________0 - 62
LAURYN HILL "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill"___________________________________0 - 63
LOU REED "Berlin"__________________________________________________________0 - 65
TOM WAITS "Swordfishtrombones"_____________________________________________0 - 68
THE CURE "Disintegration"____________________________________________________0 - 69
THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN "Psychocandy"____________________________________0 - 70
FLEETWOOD MAC "Rumours"_________________________________________________0 - 72
GENESIS "Selling England by the Pound"_________________________________________0 - 75
SUEDE "Dog Man Star"_______________________________________________________0 - 79
SCOTT WALKER "Scott 4"_____________________________________________________0 - 80
THE SMITHS "The Smiths"_____________________________________________________0 - 81
THE STOOGES "Fun House"___________________________________________________0 - 82
PRIMAL SCREAM "Screamadelica”______________________________________________0 - 86
TALKING HEADS "Fear of Music"________________________________________________0 - 87
FRANZ FERDINAND "Franz Ferdinand"___________________________________________0 - 89
KRAFTWERK "Trans-Europa Express"____________________________________________0 - 90
CAROLE KING "Tapestry"______________________________________________________0 - 91
THE MAGNETIC FIELDS "69 Love Songs"_________________________________________0 - 94
NICK DRAKE "Pink Moon"______________________________________________________0 - 95
DJ SHADOW "Endtroducing..."___________________________________________________0 - 98
LEONARD COHEN "Songs of Leonard Cohen"______________________________________0 - 99
DUSTY SPRINGFIELD "Dusty in Memphis"________________________________________0 - 100

Re: AM Forum Top 100 Albums: 2008 Forum - 2005 Forum

Nice and interesting comparison, otisredding.

Besides the fact, that we had a different bunch of voters this time, I guess the discussions on this forum probably have an impact on the list as well (e.g. Dylan gets more acclaim now). Some artists appear now where do had been forgotten last time (e.g. Springsteen) and vice versa (who the hell dared not vote Unknown Pleasures??!!)

Still, the biggest surprise to me are The Zombies at #33. Can somebody explain why they are there all of a sudden?

Because it's an amazing psychedelic pop record and 17 people had it on their ballot.

I looked up the 100-200 list from 2005, and the Zombies album was actually #105 last time.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/3172289350/show/526148

"Because it's an amazing psychedelic pop record and 17 people had it on their ballot."

I guess so, Anthony. As mentioned earlier in another thread, I've never heard this album, so I surely have some work to do here.

So if it was at #105 last time, I guess it was not some kind of big forum discussion that influenced the higher ranking, but more the (different) taste of the voters.

Too bad I wasn't able to follow your poll results reporting during the last few days, Anthony. It seems only half the fun to read it afterwards, but nevertheless, thanks for the great effort and time you've spend on it!

This might have created some buzz: Zombies to Reunite for Odessey Anniversary Shows.

Sorry you missed it, DrDre.

As for the big jump from the Zombies, I can't explain it. All I know is that it's a great album that deserves more recognition than its received over the past 40 years. Like I wrote in my comments, it was ignored upon release and it's taken a long time for people to finally appreciate it.

If you're able to, I definitely suggest obtaining it through any means necessary.

Yep, it's already on my wishlist. Like Benoit Pioulard still is

Talking about wishlists: Neo, I got a hold of one of your 2006 favorites, Alexi Murdoch. Nice!

Glad you like it. I saw you had Tracy Chapman in your list, someone I thought of including as well. Fast Car is such a pretty song.

Very few supporters of Psychocandy and Unknown Pleasures this time out. That's quite surprising to me as these are two excellent albums. Even if I had submitted a list I don't think they would have even come close. Oh well.

Psychocandy will probably by the Odessey & Oracle of the 2025 AM Forum poll. It's original fans are getting older (and moving onto other things or losing their zeal for music) and it has yet to be rediscovered by a new generation.

I don't know, that record is pretty niche and you either like it or you don't. I don't think it's every get too many more fans that it has now. Odyssey and Oracle is a pop album that was known but never acclaimed. Psychocandy is an album that is acclaimed and known but only by those who care to seek it out. Considering that shoegaze has had some kind of moderate resurgence over the past few years and Psychocandy hasn't really seen much more acclaim I doubt it will ever be regarded much higher.

I know that I helped with Odessey and Oracle, but I'm really glad than Van the Man is on the rise. He gets less respekt that he deserves.