Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2008 AM Forum Top 100 Albums Poll - RESULTS (Part 3)

I suppose the big question at this point is which album will be number 1. If the previous poll is anything to go by "OK Computer" and "Revolver" should slug it out, as those two had a considerable advantage over the nearest competition. But I feel this time one or two of Dylan's albums might challenge for the top spot. Also we might be in for another Springsteen-less list: he didn't make it last time and to me it looks it might be the same now.

I'm pretty sure Born To Run will make it.. I hope so anyway.

that would be very sad for a guy like me with 3 Boss albums in his top 10
I was confident but now you tel me he wasn't on the 2005 top 100...
Well, this discussion is not so bad because I'm prepared for that now

If you have BtR in the top 10, and so do I, we only need 4 more voters to place it on an average place to surpass "Ten". I cannot believe that less than 4 people had Born To Run in their list. He HAS to be in there!

(I realize we're way past Ten now, so apparently a lot more than 4 more voters)

Yeah, now the average of ballots is more 15-20
Slight chance I would say but I'd rather be prepared to a Springsteenless list, so that will be a great surprise if ever he shows up...

Was there no Springsteen in the 2005 top 100? Man, my memory's going. Well, it goes to show, surprises *do* occur. I mean the guy's the # 6 most acclaimed artist ever in AM. Could it be that, apart from an occasional basher of the highly acclaimed just for bashing's sake, the Boss's brilliance is universally accepted, but opinions are rather broadly scattered as to which album is the best? I know BtR usually tops lists, but several others come close, I think?

Well let's wait for the results, but I don't think the "scattered votes" explanation would be the right one, because BtR outshines the rest in term of acclaims (although it's not my favorite, but still #5 in my top 100).
And Radiohead will probably have 3 albums, The Pixies 2, The White Stripes (???) 2, The Flaming Lips probably 2, Pavement 2.
no comments

The thing with Springsteen is that he's huge in the US, but I think not so much in other countries. So if American posters were in the minority it might explain his poor results. But of course at this point it's still speculation, as "Born to Run" might still make it (unlikely any other albums of his will IMO).

I think it is the contrary on this forum
I can tell you the Boss has a lot of fans in Europe.
And the 2 most obvious Springsteen fans here are Neo (from Holland) and myself (France).

I have 3 Springsteen albums in my list, although not in the top 10. But despite the acclaim I've never been able to like BtR quite as much as some of his other albums.

I've just put BtR on the player, and songs like Thunder Road and Born to Run do make me wonder if the whole album should rank higher with me -- they would definitely be high on my song list, but many of the other songs lag a bit behind.

... Just my present in-vain attempt

I also would have liked to think that an Elliott Smith album made the top 100, but I would have expected it between 50 and 100... so I no longer have much hope, but well, given that Neutral Milk Hotel made the spot so high, I guess there are still some hope.
I'm also afraid that It takes a nation... will be the only hip-hop album on the top 100 (I had about 15 in my top 100 but I think this genre is kinda disregarded here !)

And to join the debate, I would be very surprised too if Born to Run did not make the list, even if I'm really not a huge fan of it.

We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose. I might be completely wrong and "Born to Run" might be in the top 10, who knows. Although personally I always thought "Born is the USA" is his best work.

I think the Big Star vote might be split as well. I had "#1 Record" in my top 10, "Radio City" in the middle of my top 100 (should have been higher), and "Third" just outside the list.

They're truly a great band, list or no.

P.S. I also had "Born to Run" at No. 30, so there may be some hope Nicolas, but he will have to come in soon or he's not going to make it.

I was just thinking: In the '05 poll, some relatively recent albums (1997 or later) which haven't turned up this time around, were sitting not so far below the # 35 mark:

THE ARCADE FIRE "Funeral", SPIRITUALIZED "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space", THE VERVE "Urban Hymns", LAURYN HILL "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill"

I wonder if any of these -- most likely Funeral is the only plausible candidate, I guess -- is likely to be in the '08 top 35?

(Just goofing around while eagerly waiting to see what will actually happen).

Hi Anthony, just did a quick scan through the first 3 parts. Good work and nice way of presenting the results!

Happy to see my #1, Remain In Light, made it, bit sad it did not get any higher. In general, it's a fine list so far.

I won't have much time to follow the remaining 35 today, but will surely look into it tomorrow.

I had Born to Run in the 20's somewhere. I think it will be on here.

I was Born to Run too.