Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2008 AM Forum Top 100 Albums Poll - RESULTS (Part 3)

An inane comment such as singling out a couple of albums and saying that it would be great if they didn't make the list only displays a personal bias that is completely pointless and counter productive.

I suppose that was for me, so let me explain myself. For starters, it was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek, I'm really surprised it caused such passionate reactions. Second, I don't know about you, but for me a few critical omissions would make the list more interesting. So you have "Pet Sounds" in the top 10 as usual, big deal. Now if somehow "Pet Sounds" didn't make the list at all, it would have people scratching their heads and trying to figure out what the hell happened. Oh, and the albums I mentioned were examples, might just as well be "OK Computer" and "Revolver", or what have you.

Oops, forgot to close the italics after first paragraph.

I agree with most of the guesses of what will not make the top 35. Strange that nobody included Odelay, though. I guess there has been a lot of love for the 90s so far.
So, which dark horses will appear on the list? Hm, probably Kid A, In Utero, Doolittle (something to look forward to, Jacek), Unknown Pleasures, Harvest (what with all the love for Neil Young), Born in the USA (other 80s mega-sellers made it), maybe Bringing It All Back Home...can't think of any others now.

Finally, nothing like a poll to bring people back to the forum - first Jacek, and now sonofsam

OK everybody. I devised a proprietary scientific method to determine the remaining 35 albums. Here's what the computer spit out (It's real shaky on the last two):

1. RADIOHEAD "OK Computer"
2. THE BEATLES "Revolver"
3. THE BEACH BOYS "Pet Sounds"
4. THE BEATLES "The Beatles"
5. THE CLASH "London Calling"
6. NIRVANA "Nevermind"
7. THE BEATLES "Abbey Road"
8. THE BEATLES "Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band"
9. DAVID BOWIE "Ziggy Stardust"
10. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND "The Velvet Underground and Nico"
11. PIXIES "Doolittle"
12. BOB DYLAN "Highway 61 Revisited"
13. THE SMITHS "The Queen Is Dead"
14. BOB DYLAN "Blonde on Blonde"
15. RADIOHEAD "Kid A"
16. THE FLAMING LIPS "The Soft Bulletin"
17. BOB DYLAN "Blood on the Tracks"
18. JOY DIVISION "Unknown Pleasures"
19. R.E.M. "Automatic for the People"
20. TELEVISION "Marquee Moon"
21. THE ROLLING STONES "Exile on Main Street"
22. PINK FLOYD "Dark Side of the Moon"
23. THE BEATLES "Rubber Soul"
24. THE ARCADE FIRE "Funeral"
25. RADIOHEAD "In Rainbows"
26. LOVE "Forever Changes"
27. MARVIN GAYE "What’s Going On"
28. STEVIE WONDER "Innervisions"
29. NIRVANA "In Utero"
30. FRANZ FERDINAND "Franz Ferdinand"
31. BJORK "Debut"
32. MILES DAVIS "Kind of Blue"
33. THE WHO "Who’s Next"
34. JIMI HENDRIX "Are You Experienced?"
35. LED ZEPPELIN "IV"

What do you think?

Could TV On The Radio Be In The Top 35?
Could There Be Two Jimi Hendrix Albums still to come?
Will Springsteen be shut out?
Will Zeppelin be shut out?
Will A 4th Dylan album sneak in?

So far we've seen 20(!) 90s albums, and of the top 20 of the 1990s poll we haven't seen these yet:

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
3. Nirvana - Nevermind
4. Beck - Odelay
8. The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
15. Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
19. Björk - Debut

I expect the top 5 from that list to still show up, seeing as Yoshimo was #90 and everything else from the top 20 pretty much made an appearance.

For the people who are interested, 60s have 9 albums so far, 70s 15, 80s 14 (they 80s are making a comeback), 90s 20 and 00s 7. Taking into account we're only in 2007, statistically the 00s have more albums included than the 60s! Although I have no doubt that by the end of tomorrow that won't be the case, it's still quite surprising.

James Brown won't make it - for sure
Sly ? I doubt that
Given the result of the '90s poll, the only remaining black artist with still a chance is Marvin Gaye's What's goin' On, and (I do hope) Hendrix.
I don't understand that debate, so I will have to repeat myself.
This top 100 will not show the "best" albums, but the MOST RECOMMENDED OR ACCLAIMED
And that's a difference. That means you've got to exclude everything which is not supported by at least 15 people.
I'm currently making a list of the 35 I think will appear but I'll keep it for myself.
Let's keep the suspense and not break the magic of it all. We know more or less what albums will be in the last 35, but not in which order, and there will be some surprise.
But I think we've got to refrain from expressing any frustration. Saying that the list is not what we would have loved it to be won't change a thing.
If you don't want to see the sun, you can close your eyes but that won't make it go away.

You're spoiling all the fun Loophole!

yes, I agree with you Neo
And Anthony, that's one more reason to publish the top
35 quickly

Sorry. It's just a guess!!

And I'm sure I'm wrong. Odelay will probably make it based on the 1990's poll (which my "computer" failed to consider).

We'll see !
I hope Springsteen will make it; I'm kinda confident, the Boss's got supporters here (including Neo, Anthony and myself of course).
Now it's late I'm going to bed. My little baby (1 month) is sick and we're a little worried but it is not serious for the moment (a cold ), just impressive due to his age.
See ya tomorrow

A few minutes before dinner; just enough time to check in...

Am I frustrated? Yeah, a bit. Is this cold making it feel like my brain has exploded and is running out of my nose in the form of a clear, mucilaginous fluid? Yes, and it sucks. Are the two related? Perhaps.

But I stand by my previous comment. And thanks Rocky Raccoon; you're right - spouting off about how it would be great if such and such doesn't make the list is COMPLETELY counterproductive.

Plus, you guys are completely denying the numbers game. Jacek - you mentioned how you "can't help feeling it's just plain unfair" if the top 10 is dominated by the usual suspects. You're entitled to feel that way, but you're forgetting that it's representative. You don't need a statistics degree to know that with 47 voters, the outlying data gets tossed to the side. In other words, the chances of surprises are more likely at the bottom of the rankings, not at the top.

I don't want to spoil the fun, but I will if I have to. All the big names are there in the remaining 35. You know it, and I know it. There are NO SURPRISES remaining. I was using the Beatles as an example before, but I might as well use them again - there are 5 albums of theirs in the remaining 35. So any of you who say "that's way too many albums!!!" - you might as well slap us all across the faces and tell us that our picks are terrible, because that's really what you're doing.

Let's just all enjoy this ride and accept the fact that each album deserves its place.

And Loophole's list is spot on - exactly.

No need for me to publish any more results. Sweet.

Hey, I know I got a few of 'em right!

Sorry if I offended anyone with the list. Seems like a bunch of us were playing the guessing game. I just attached numbers. But really its just a clueless guess.

Everyone take a deep breath.

And I think I had seven Beatles records in my top 100. So I'm guilty on that count too...

I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride, and I think 5 is a good number of Beatles album. And please, no more spoilers. Lets keep this fun!

Neo, then tell all the negative Nancys to smarten up.

Alright. Hey, you negative Nancys, smarten up!

Ok, that made me laugh. Thanks Neoptolemos.

Dinner time.

P.S. I wished my girlfriend a happy birthday from you guys. She rolled her eyes and said "ummm, thaaaanks."

I had both Jimi Hendrix in my top five and Smiths in my top 20.

A few surprises. I'm surprised Daydream Nation is down so far, and I'm surprised Sticky Fingers was below Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet.

Boo to see U2 in the top 50.

I wish there was more Neil Young on the list. If you guys didn't put Tonight's the Night in the top 100, my opinion of the coolness of this forum will decline.

As you might have guessed, I was out all day - otherwise, the revelation of #42 would obviously have elicited a reaction from me. When I inquired of Anthony whether any albums from outside the AM top 500 had crashed our list, it was probably easy to figure out which particular one I had in mind, and I'm highly gratified that IN THE AEROPLANE has such a devoted following.

I really wish more people knew the first New York Dolls album or RADIO CITY by Big Star - they're both in my top ten, and are the only entries among those ten that clearly aren't going to make it. Having said that, I have no problem with any of the ones that are going to appear, whatever they are, and I'm with Anthony and Rocky 100% as far as the "boy-I-hope-such-and-such-doesn't-make-it" comments being truly pointless. I'm eagerly looking forward to the gradual unveiling of the top 35 tomorrow even if there are (no alarms and) no surprises.

Only 3 albums of my top 100 are in the final list for the moment...
I have great expectations for the Magnetic Fields. I'd be very happy if "69 love songs" made the top 20 or the top 30. Concerning my other personal favourites, I think they haven't a chance to make the top 35 anymore.
Come on 69 !!!

Hey Harold. Great to see another Big Star fan. I actually have "#1 Record" and "Radio City" just outside my top 100 but Third Album/Sister Lovers At #5. Though "September Gurls" is my 2nd favorite song of all time.

I want to think an Elliott Smith album will still creep in but after Survivor maybe not.

Also, I want to rescind my earlier comment (on the first day) about Unplugged in New York being the best live album ever. I can't even believe I said that because Stop Making Sense is in my top 10 and it saddens me that it won't make the list.

Also, I wouldn't throw Big Star out of the game just yet. Maybe, but I'm not giving up hope. Although the double albums do hurt their chances.

Anthony, I haven't read any post that was negative. Only yours. I think you're misreading peoples comments as negative when we're merely speculating.

Going back to what DrDre said about Astral Weeks: "Two options: either you like this album, or you love it."

That must be very true, because despite appearing on less ballots than the 12 albums behind it (39-50) it still out-pointed all of them. Interesting how an album dearly loved by a few competes with albums that have a broader appeal in these polls. Personally I'm more of a Moondance person.

Alright, one last response. Of course I know it's all mathematics and those top albums deserve their place in the way they got the most points, after all I voted many of them myself (I had four Beatles' albums in my top 50 for instance). I just expressed a sentiment that it would be fun if some of the usual suspects were left out, as that would make the list more surprising, which has nothing to do with my alleged frustration or closing my eyes on reality. It wasn't meant to offend anybody, and I didn't mean to tell you that your lists sucked, as one of the posters implied, since I'm often guilty of the same crimes. It was a casual remark that didn't merit all the negative responses it got, the way I see it. Don't take it so seriously, guys. Now let's end this discussion and focus on the list.

Yes, end of the how-to-respond discussion. Please. This should be 100% fun. Can't wait for part 4!

I suppose the big question at this point is which album will be number 1. If the previous poll is anything to go by "OK Computer" and "Revolver" should slug it out, as those two had a considerable advantage over the nearest competition. But I feel this time one or two of Dylan's albums might challenge for the top spot. Also we might be in for another Springsteen-less list: he didn't make it last time and to me it looks it might be the same now.

I'm pretty sure Born To Run will make it.. I hope so anyway.

that would be very sad for a guy like me with 3 Boss albums in his top 10
I was confident but now you tel me he wasn't on the 2005 top 100...
Well, this discussion is not so bad because I'm prepared for that now

If you have BtR in the top 10, and so do I, we only need 4 more voters to place it on an average place to surpass "Ten". I cannot believe that less than 4 people had Born To Run in their list. He HAS to be in there!

(I realize we're way past Ten now, so apparently a lot more than 4 more voters)

Yeah, now the average of ballots is more 15-20
Slight chance I would say but I'd rather be prepared to a Springsteenless list, so that will be a great surprise if ever he shows up...

Was there no Springsteen in the 2005 top 100? Man, my memory's going. Well, it goes to show, surprises *do* occur. I mean the guy's the # 6 most acclaimed artist ever in AM. Could it be that, apart from an occasional basher of the highly acclaimed just for bashing's sake, the Boss's brilliance is universally accepted, but opinions are rather broadly scattered as to which album is the best? I know BtR usually tops lists, but several others come close, I think?

Well let's wait for the results, but I don't think the "scattered votes" explanation would be the right one, because BtR outshines the rest in term of acclaims (although it's not my favorite, but still #5 in my top 100).
And Radiohead will probably have 3 albums, The Pixies 2, The White Stripes (???) 2, The Flaming Lips probably 2, Pavement 2.
no comments

The thing with Springsteen is that he's huge in the US, but I think not so much in other countries. So if American posters were in the minority it might explain his poor results. But of course at this point it's still speculation, as "Born to Run" might still make it (unlikely any other albums of his will IMO).

I think it is the contrary on this forum
I can tell you the Boss has a lot of fans in Europe.
And the 2 most obvious Springsteen fans here are Neo (from Holland) and myself (France).

I have 3 Springsteen albums in my list, although not in the top 10. But despite the acclaim I've never been able to like BtR quite as much as some of his other albums.

I've just put BtR on the player, and songs like Thunder Road and Born to Run do make me wonder if the whole album should rank higher with me -- they would definitely be high on my song list, but many of the other songs lag a bit behind.

... Just my present in-vain attempt

I also would have liked to think that an Elliott Smith album made the top 100, but I would have expected it between 50 and 100... so I no longer have much hope, but well, given that Neutral Milk Hotel made the spot so high, I guess there are still some hope.
I'm also afraid that It takes a nation... will be the only hip-hop album on the top 100 (I had about 15 in my top 100 but I think this genre is kinda disregarded here !)

And to join the debate, I would be very surprised too if Born to Run did not make the list, even if I'm really not a huge fan of it.

We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose. I might be completely wrong and "Born to Run" might be in the top 10, who knows. Although personally I always thought "Born is the USA" is his best work.

I think the Big Star vote might be split as well. I had "#1 Record" in my top 10, "Radio City" in the middle of my top 100 (should have been higher), and "Third" just outside the list.

They're truly a great band, list or no.

P.S. I also had "Born to Run" at No. 30, so there may be some hope Nicolas, but he will have to come in soon or he's not going to make it.

I was just thinking: In the '05 poll, some relatively recent albums (1997 or later) which haven't turned up this time around, were sitting not so far below the # 35 mark:

THE ARCADE FIRE "Funeral", SPIRITUALIZED "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space", THE VERVE "Urban Hymns", LAURYN HILL "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill"

I wonder if any of these -- most likely Funeral is the only plausible candidate, I guess -- is likely to be in the '08 top 35?

(Just goofing around while eagerly waiting to see what will actually happen).

Hi Anthony, just did a quick scan through the first 3 parts. Good work and nice way of presenting the results!

Happy to see my #1, Remain In Light, made it, bit sad it did not get any higher. In general, it's a fine list so far.

I won't have much time to follow the remaining 35 today, but will surely look into it tomorrow.

I had Born to Run in the 20's somewhere. I think it will be on here.

I was Born to Run too.