Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: 2008 AM Forum Top 100 Albums Poll - RESULTS (Part 2)

Thanks, Nicolas, the songs are not mixed yet but I'll be glad to send you. I would like to see your TV performance too!!

Of course, Honorio. In fact, I've included in my list nine albums of his "fantabulous" discography.

btw thanks Anthony and sorry for letting out a negative comment on "Low" (which is rather unfair because there are a couple songs I like in the album, at the beginning)
I'll be nice tonight

honorio, I'm afraid the video is lost.

By the way, my Top Ten Albums by Neil Young is:

1. Neil Young (1969)
2. Harvest (1972)
3. Harvest Moon (1982)
4. Freedom (1989)
5. Comes a Time (1978)
6. Tonight's the Night (1975)
7. This Note's for You (1988)
8. On the Beach (1974)
9. Rust Never Sleeps (1979)
10. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969)

Glad to see that every Neil Young fan loves "Harvest", although it's rarely anyone's favorite

Hi, Miguel. Nice to see you here.

Nicolas, actually "Low" slipped outside my top 100 because of the average A side. If all the instrumental tracks from "Low" and "Heroes" were released together on the same LP, it would be the best ambient album by far, probably in my all-time top 20.

It is funny because I have the contrary opinion !
But I only listened to Low a couple of times thanks to AM
My best friends and former musicians in my band love the Bowie of the beginnings and they always told me Low was not worth a listen
So I'll try to listen to it again
I think the ambient tracks are more Eno's work, aren't they ?

Hi, Henrik, Honorio, Otis and Nicolas.... and good bye: I'm afraid I'll be disconnected from now until next Tuesday. And by the way, again: Nicolas' list of his favourite songs by Neil Young is almost the same as mine!

I'm a big fan of Neil Young too, but the only albums that made my top 100 were "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" and "Deja Vu", and they are both near the bottom of the list. "After the Goldrush", "Harvest" and "Harvest Moon" were parked just outside of it.

Don't worry, Neo, I did realise NKOTB was a joke. But for 1½ wonderful seconds I was in doubt whether I was not yet fully awake or perhaps mixing up album covers or band names in my drowsy mind -- and then I fell off the chair laughing!

About Harvest: I can't think of a Neil Young album I dislike, not excepting e.g. Old Ways, so I sure don't feel like knocking Harvest. My favourites would be Goldrush, Rust never Sleeps, Ragged Glory, Zuma, don't know which one to put next ...

By the way, Schwah, I just manged to get Rhythm of the Saints at the library. Only just put it in the player.

Snusmumrik

i did the same for Rhythm of the Saints but it was already borrowed (maybe by some anonymous and silent AM insider)

Glad to hear you're giving ROTS a try Snusmumrik. Obviously, many people saw it as a poorer little brother to Graceland so recognize my opinion is an outlier.

On the Neil Young tip: I have always been very ambivalent about NY. But there is one album that I am aunreservedly amazed by. You'll (maybe?) see when it comes up in Part 3.

And my favorite Neil Young cover comes off one of my top-100 albums that won't make the list. On "New Moon Daughter," Cassandra Wilson delivers a languid, sensual "Harvest Moon" that is worth checking out.

Schwah,

New Moon Daughter is indeed a wonderful album. I haven't heard it in ages and ages. Don't have a copy. Should get one.

Rhythm of the Saints sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a few more spins to form an opinion.

Neil Young seems to be shaping up to be one dark horse in part 3?

So it's just as I've always thought- you can't beat a great #69.

Apologies if that pathetic English smut didn't translate to anyone. And even more sincere apologies if it did...

Just checking in on Neil. "After the Goldrush" was the only one that made my list. Thinking back, I probably should have included "Harvest" and "Nowhere" too. Oh well. Looks like Goldrush will make it.

I dunno about other languages, EdAmes, but it comes across fine in Danish ...

I have AFTER THE GOLDRUSH in my top 50. The only other NY album on my list is RUST NEVER SLEEPS.

In regards to Harolds original question above I just had a look at the 2005 list. Afetr eliminating the 90's and 00's albums which seem to be getting a lot of love on this current list and the sacred cows(Beatles, Dylan, Stones) My pick would probably be the Who, sitting at #45, who I don't see talked about here too much. Dark horse picks would be Miles Davis (#36) who was only on 6 ballots last year and despite there career resurgence this year, Joy Division (#30)whose Closer dropped 46 spots this year.

1 2 3