Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
2008 AM Forum Top 100 Albums Poll - RESULTS (Part 2)

Welcome to the second thread of the 2008 AM Forum Album Poll Results.

Thanks to everyone who hopped aboard the acclaimed train last night; and thanks to everyone for your kind words - the acknowledgment is appreciated.

For today's journey, we're going to be making stops in London, Chicago, Dublin, New York, Manchester, Berlin, Toronto (and a few other towns along the way.)

The seat belt sign has been turned on...

Re: 2008 AM Forum Top 100 Albums Poll - RESULTS (Part 2)

The Band – THE BAND (1969)

Total Points = 415.61

Appeared on 10 ballots (out of 47).

Fans: Weezy (#5), Loophole (#6)

jonmarck:
This no-nonsense sophomore placed the Band even deeper in their own mythology. References to moonshine, barn dances and the Old South float through on a sea of mandolins, piano and upper register harmonies. In the rock and roll world The Band stood out like Martians. So technologically-averse were they that they had trouble even organizing themselves into a suitable pose for the cover shot. Good thing Robertson was streetwise enough to realize the appeal of songs like "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", "Up on Cripple Creek", "Across the Great Divide", "Unfaithful Servant", "Across the Great Divide" and "King Harvest Has Surely Come". Helm, on the other hand, was so entrenched in his 1950's approach that he believed "Rag Mama Rag" to be the best choice for a lead single because it was so danceable.

Loophole:
As I’ve commented before on this forum, I did a 180 degree turn on this album in my thirties. Hated it before. Love it now.

Wonderful record, although I had no hand in securing its place here (I did vote for another The Band disc, but don't expect it to make the cut).

Wohoo, lets go! This promises something for the Big Pink.

On second thought, maybe not, I did not notice this album was actually higher than Big Pink. Surprising, I really think their debut is better.

Michael Jackson – THRILLER (1982)

Total Points = 421.60

Appeared on 11 ballots (out of 47).

Fans: Georgie (#5), Neoptolemos (#

Neoptolemos:
The best-selling album of all-time for a reason, it's just so much fun. In fact, I'm going to name this the most fun album ever.

Honorio:
When Jackson was recording “Thriller” maybe he dreamed of making the best-selling album in history (he eventually sold more than 100 millions), but probably he didn’t expect making a critics favourite. In fact the critics initially resisted (Village Voice put “Thriller” at #15 of 1982) but surrendered to evidences as solid as “Billie Jean” (Village Voice put again “Thriller” in the lists of 1983, this time at #1).

I was hoping that album would make it a little higher, but at least it's in there. =)

That's one record I haven't "gotten" yet. I put my girlfriend's vinyl copy on pretty much every time someone on AM mentions it, and I think I'm slowly getting to see it's appeal, but there's a bit of way to go :-)

(I hope that's not breaking the "no negative comments rule, Anthony)

Sex Pistols – NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS, HERE'S THE SEX PISTOLS (1977)

Total Points = 425.28

Appeared on 13 ballots (out of 47).

Fans did not appear in any individual top ten)

Honorio:
Few albums supposed a milestone like this one, marking a line between before and after in pop music history and turning into outdated all that came before. But there’s not only about historical importance, it’s about rage, about confrontation, about a great set of songs played furiously but with an undeniable gift and sung with impoliteness, vitriol and sarcasm by Johnny Rotten.

I didn't rank it, alyhough I like it a lot
It is # 160 for me.
I love the singles especially "Billie Jean" but there are some weaker songs on the album

That's one of the albums that just fell outside my top 100.

Don't go too fast Anthony, I'll be back in 40 minutes.

Never mind the Bollocks wasn't on my list either, but I wonder if it's because it's one of those mythological albums more talked about than actually played? It deserves airplay.

Well, I'm here, my wife's out, the baby sleeping, I am all eyes. Thanks Anthony for posting so early in the morning for the sake of us Europeans

We said no negative comments, so I won't comment on NMTB

Yeop, loud cheers from Europe!

Snusmumrik - comments are definitely welcome now, and encouraged.

I just didn't want everyone talking about each others' lists while the voting window was open. I was afraid of any bias that might result.

Like I said, good-natured frustration is fine.

Anthony, I think there has happened some problems with my comments, is it right? Cause in both albums I wrote about (My Aim Is True and Parklife), my comments weren't posted... If you want, I can send my few comments again to you, ok?

My sincerest apologies. I received them, but missed including them somehow. Sorry, Toni.

hehe, that's okay, Anthony, no problem!

Public Enemy – IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK (198

Total Points = 429.07

Fans: otisredding (#4)

Loophole:
The soundtrack of my life, 1989-1990. Great rhymes. Great power.

"Nation of Millions" is the highest-ranking AM album that I don't really relate to at all, I'm sorry to admit. I took it out of the library last month, and I promise to do it again, though

THose who love and ranked this album have got to read "Can't Stop Won't Stop", a fabulous book about emergence of hip-hop, with two detailed chapters on PE.
It is really a great book (although there's too much ideology in it); You learn a lot of things about hip hop and the social and political context.

Belle and Sebastian – IF YOU'RE FEELING SINISTER (1996)

Total Points = 429.42

Appeared on 12 ballots (out of 47).

Fans: pop elton (#9)

Honorio:
A Scottish band commanded by Stuart Murdoch that brought back the sensitivity and fragility to 90s indie pop, brought back beauty and humour to grunge times, brought influences like Nick Drake or Burt Bacharach not so usual till then and conquered the bedroom and the heart of many young people with the smart but heartfelt songs from “If You’re Feeling Sinister”.

Today's albums looks like an attempt to statue examples of the different angles of popular music!

Nice to see Belle & Sebastian in the Top 100!!

I'm Surprised that Never Mind The Bollocks is this low. I still listen to it and enjoy it a great deal.

and you never get headaches ?

Van Morrison – MOONDANCE (1974)

Total Points = 431.57

Honorio:
“Astral Weeks” got all the acclaim but “Moondance” is my favourite. And both albums couldn’t have been more different. The improvised and free-form “Astral Weeks” gave place to the meticulously arranged and root-based “Moondance”, with traces of soul, blues and even swing. But both albums have similar curative effects, the perfect prescription for healing your tired and damaged ears.

nicolas:
Sometimes you're in Dublin, sometimes in Muscle Shoals Alabama… and always with Van.

By the way, I'm amazed that 100 albums can get this many votes in a sampling of only 47. The lowest so far (and probably will remain the case) was Ten, which got 6 votes. For 100 albums to get six or more votes, when there is so much good music, and taste is so personal, is amazing.

Indeed Henrik, so far it's been a very diverse list. Keep up the good work Anthony. And great lists everyone! No entries from me for B&S (and obviously PE as I've been voting on them in survivor since round 1) but I do like that album a lot.

waow
Great surprise
I didn't think it would be included
I have a love for the first song, "And it stoned me".
It's simply beautiful.
first album today that was in my top 100.

I wonder if that means there's one more Van the Man up there aming the top 74? I haven't checked, how many made the 2005 poll ... but then, quite different electorate

I didn't vote for it, and again wonder why. Van is sort of like a soundtrack to me: People put one of his records on and I smile and feel at home.

My personal favorite from Moondance is "Caravan". But that album is great from start to finish.

By the way Anthony
Moondance is from 1970

Arrrgggh, shit balls in applesauce!

One of the first ballots with Moondance must've had it at 1974, and the year stuck on the spreadsheet.

I take responsibility for not noticing the error.

"Moondance" is simply perfect. By the way, Miguel, did you send your votes? You're a great Van fan, don't you?

Pulp – DIFFERENT CLASS (1995)

Total Points = 432.29

Appeared on 15 ballots (out of 47).

Fans: Midaso (#10)

[no comments provided]

Hey Anthony,

If my cursory comments look kind of dumb to you, please feel free to skip them. I didn't give them as much thought as some of the others did. I trust your editorial decisions...

Idon't know, but I think this '90s poll had its effects on the top 100

I don't judge, Loophole.

I did notice that one or two of your comments were written in the context of someone seeing your personal list in its entirety (and in that regard, might look a bit odd in this format.) In those instances, I may add something for clarification - that is, if you don't mind.

Dinnertime in DK. Pulp playing. Back soon

Feel free to judge, skip them, or do whatever you want. (I just wish I had more time to say something intelligent about these records).

Tom Waits – RAIN DOGS (1985)

Total Points = 439.98

Appeared on 14 ballots (out of 47).

Fans: nicolas (#9)

Loophole
Worth it just for Marc Ribot’s guitar playing. Good with whiskey.

Honorio
Waits continued his particular getaway from the smoky jazz that began with “Swordfishtrombones” broadening his musical spectrum. Banjos, marimbas, trombones, weird percussions. Tarantella, country, folk, tango, Weill-style interwar period Cabaret, Beefheart-style Martian blues, Springsteen-style power ballads. And of course, the personal and indefinable Waits style.

nicolas
Tom Waits made a big career move with Swordfishtrombones. With Rain Dogs, he goes even further in his exploration of everything that made American music: country, jazz, blues, immigrants music from all over Europe. He knows how to alternate chaotic (the three first songs) and more conventional (his moving ballads like Time). And the lyrics make him to my mind the equal of the Boss and Dylan.

yes !
One of my top 10.
This record is incredible, for those who love roots music though.
and yes, good for whisky or red wine (french of course)

And another awesome album!! Great list so far...

And what about a Spanish Rioja red wine? It fits with "Rain Dogs" too...

Nice! Didn't expect Tom Waits to make an appearance. Not sure why.

Nicolas, it does seem like that but the difference between 90s and 70s is not thát big, here's a quick overview so far:

'60s: 3
'70s: 7
'80s: 4
'90s: 10
'00s: 4

Although I think the 90s are overrepresented as well, it's certainly understandable as there are way more posters growing up in the 90s than in any other group (perhaps 00s come close).

On an unrelated note, in my top 100 it was 16, 32, 22, 17, 13 (60s to 00s).

of course
I was kidding and mocking the French pride on wine and food
Rioja is excellent
Makes me want to open a bottle
ok, the wife's calling for dinner
see ya later

Just a quick sidenote here...

While I was compiling the lists, I was also keeping track of the breakdown of albums by decade (among other statistics.) The first 20 or so ballots included years for each album, but as the voting deadline approached, the lists starting coming fast and furious (most of them without years), and so I wasn't able to finish that little project. Researching the release dates was a time consuming task, and I put it on the backburner to finish calculating the important stats.

However, in a few days, I'll start a thread with miscellaneous statistics about this poll. If I get time, I'll fill in the blanks for the album years, and hopefully provide a snapshot of the decades.

Nick Drake – FIVE LEAVES LEFT (1969)

Total Points = 458.44

Appeared on 9 ballots (out of 47).

Fans: pop elton (#3), LonesomePanda (#4)

[no comments provided]

I'd like to see a list of people's top 10 albums that didn't make the consensus list. Probably some good finds in there. (But I guess I could just go through the individual lists to figure this out.)

Pink Floyd – WISH YOU WERE HERE (1975)

Total Points = 464.37

Fans: Juan (#7)

Honorio
“The child is grown / the dream is gone” sang Gilmour in “Comfortably Numb”. But when I hear this album I still recognize in me the child playing on air imaginary drums and guitars while listening in the bedroom of my neighbour Vicen the records of his older brother. It hardly matters that the last song is overtly self-indulgent, the child is still here.

jonmarck
I always found Dark Side of the Moon highly overrated. The songs never caught me. They seemed too willing to drift away on a sea of overthought chord progressions and improvised jams than connect with the audience. On the other hand I find Wish You Were Here much more natural. Don't ask why. I'm sure to the rabid fanbase both are equally tuneful. The emotion just seems more felt on the title track, "Have a Cigar" and the "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" suite than anything on Dark Side. It's like this time it was coming from the heart rather than just the head. Perhaps it's because most of the album was about Floyd's wayward ex-frontman Syd Barrett. According to varying accounts Barrett actually turned up at the studio after a five year separation from the group. His head was shaved and he had put on so much weight that the band did not recognize him. He jumped on a nearby couch and began compulsively brushing his teeth. When Waters finally realized it was Barrett he was brought to tears. Barrett asked if there was anything he could add to the album and the band was forced to tell him the album was nearly done and they wouldn't be needing his help any more.

Wilco – YANKEE HOTEL FOXTROT (2002)

Total Points = 466.29

Fans: Slush (#2)

Slush:
For me, this is the most important album of the new millennium. It took our dissolved world and made music out of it that comforted, soothed and mourned as any great album should. Plus, "Pot Kettle Black" is a personal favorite song.

Honorio:
Is there an unwritten rule about a logical progression of introducing the arrangements? If it exists, Wilco decided to ignore it. The first verse of the first song features basically organ and bass, the second acoustic guitar, the third a weird drum pattern and noises, the fourth shakers and a strange scratched instrument, the fifth “normal” drumming and distorted guitar and the sixth background noises. And why not?

Anthony:
Other than "Motion Picture Soundtrack" on Kid A, this album features the best album closer of this decade - "Reservations". A beautiful and haunting song to finish a brilliant record.

Now we're really talkin'! "Five Leaves Left" was my #12 and "Wish You Were Here" my #17.

So, apparently there is an agreement that these are the two best records so far.

At the risk of perpetuating the Canadian stereotype, albums will be revealed slower over the next few hours while I watch the Canada-US junior hockey semifinal.

I hope Piper at the Gates of Dawn makes the list. That's Pink Floyd's masterpiece.

Pavement – SLANTED AND ENCHANTED (1992)

Total Points = 475.18

Fans: EdAmes (#1), Stammer (#7)

[no comments provided]

It's fascinating to go back and compare this list with the first top 100 albums list done on this board back in '05. There were far fewer voters on that poll, I think (I'm sorry to say I didn't contribute). Of the 31 albums Anthony has revealed so far, only 12 appeared on the old list (including WISH YOU WERE HERE, which was all the way up at #32). So this is already shaping up as a more diverse roster, and I might daresay a more authoritative one.

Dammit, I didn't know he'd already posted another result. Now it's 13 out of 32 from the '05 list.

Ghee, I thought Crooked Rain had beaten Slanted & Enchanted, but here it comes.

I didn't vote for any of these (what was I smoking, I wonder? -- I did my damnedest to simply list the 100 records I most often want to put on, rather than the ones I think are "objectively" good and influential). But I like every one of those last five discs. Drake is essential to have around, and Wish Your Were Here has left footprints inside my skull to the extent that I hardly ever put it on -- I mean: It's there already.

Yeah, my list was heavily slanted toward the 90's. Funny cause I came of age in the 80's, but I only 2 from that decade. (I may be the only one to have twice as many albums from the 50's as the 80's.)

Prince – SIGN O' THE TIMES (1987)

Total Points = 477.19

Fans: Moonbeam (#3)

Honorio
A succulent banquet of contemporary music, displaying a varied and wide amount of delicacies cooked with inventiveness, craft and inspiration. A celebration of music while having its feet on the ground, dealing with drugs, AIDS and social issues. There was at the time accusations of betraying his black roots. Unfairly. It was black music, it was white music, it was multi-coloured music.

nicolas
A double album is a hard thing to do. You've gotta have a big load of good songs. That was never the problem with Prince. From the funkiest to the rockiest, every shade is there with equal talent.

Moonbeam
Moreso than any other album, Sign o' the Times showcases the mind-boggling breadth of Prince's artistic palette. Its greatest achievement, however, is that in spite of its dizzying diversity and sprawling length, the album is still cohesive.

Glad to see another 80's album get some love even if it wasn't one of my picks.

Minnesota album #2!

No Beatles yet...I have a feeling the top is going to be looking very Liverpudlian.

Funny because I realize I did the same comments for Sign Of The Times et Songs In The Key Of Life.
THere is an obvious connection between those 2 and it only comes to my mind now

I'll be hanging out for about 3 more hours before departing for the Piney Woods.

I was very close to including Sign O the Times...I just have a slight aversion to double albums (I did have two Prince albums, Moonbeam, and, yes, they're the obvious ones).

Four more of mine so far today, for a total of 13...

Enjoy the hockey, Anthony. Not a fan myself, but I did enjoy the outdoor Sabres-Penguins game the other day, even if it was a bit of a PR stunt.

WHAT'S THE STORY

Oasis – (WHAT'S THE STORY) MORNING GLORY? (1995)

Total Points = 482.02

Fans: Anthony (#7)

Anthony:
If there was ever an album that played like a greatest hits without actually being one, Morning Glory would be it. 10 songs (if you subtract the two 40-second instrumental tracks); six of which were singles, while the four remaining all had potential (and don’t forget the b-side “Acquiesce”, which eventually became a radio single, or the b-side “The Masterplan”, a fan favorite.) During 1995/96, Oasis were a band at their peak, due in large part to leader Noel Gallagher, a songwriter whose creativity and ego raced past each other to startling heights. This album was the last one made where Noel, his brother Liam, and the rest of the band put music above their collective ego, and it remains their crowning achievement.

Thanks, schleuse. Leave it to commissioner Bettman to employ a good gimmick to promote hockey in the US. Those outdoor games are a joke.

John - Michigan's got 3...

And we like Hockey here too. Go Wings!

Elvis Costello – THIS YEAR'S MODEL (197

Total Points = 486.79

jonmarck
The newly formed Attractions would prove Costello's most exciting backing group. The ideas are his but the songs are Steve Nieve and Bruce Thomas', especially "Pump it Up" and "Radio Radio". With punk snarl and Buddy Holly image intact Costello was set to take America (particularly SNL and Steven Stills) by storm.

Honorio
“I don’t wanna kiss you / I don’t wanna touch”. Two verses almost whispered preceding the entrance of the band as a buffalo stampede in “No Action”. The Attractions proved to be the perfect backing band for Elvis Costello and together made the best definition possible of late 70s power-pop: wry lyrics, modernity (in a good sense), smart song-writing, and, of course, powerful playing.

The Wings are on pace for a record season. And considering their top line - Zetterburg, Datsyuk and Holmstrom were all drafted in the 200s (in their respective draft years), it's that much cooler.

I supposed that Definitely Maybe would come before Morning Glory, as it did in the 90's poll and in AM rank. I wonder if the presence of WTSMG here means DM is out of the list!

The Kinks – THE KINKS ARE THE VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY (196

Total Points = 488.26

Appeared on 10 ballots (out of 47).

Fans: Miguel (#6), Loophole (#7)

Loophole
This is an underrated masterpiece. Great melodies. Interesting lyrics. No filler.

That's one of the albums I think I should have included. The list is getting better and better (obviously)!

I finally got Village Green Preservation Society a week ago... a major hole for a Kinks fan like myself. So it didn't make it onto my top-100. But I'm digging it, and it most likely will make it next time out.

Great one. But I prefer "Something Else"

"God save Tudor houses, antique tables and billiards". That was one of the albums I went out and bought after the '05 poll. I wasn't disappointed.

The Doors – THE DOORS (1967)

Total Points = 500.02

Fans: Giuseppe (#

Moonbeam
This dazzling debut album lives up to its immense legend, and while it would eventually be bettered by L.A. Woman, it stands as their most iconic and definitive record.

schleuse

if you go to the Piney Woods, say hello to Leadbelly's ghost for me

But in the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines you will shiver the whole nught through

Leadbelly grew up near Caddo lake on the Louisiana side.

Didn't expect that one after they left the Survivor island so early. Plus the fact that I removed them last-minute.

Ok, that's not creepy at all. Sleep tight, schleuse!

I didn't find room for them either. But a fine album it is. Never a dull moment.

It is not in my top 100 (it's number 135, which is a good position)

Paul Simon – GRACELAND (1986)

Total Points = 500.19

Appeared on 13 ballots (out of 47).

Fans: Miguel (#4), David (#7)

[no comments provided]

Whoa! I've nearly missed the whole 80-60! Looking good, I just wished YHF made it a little higher (my #2 for this decade, #12 overall)

Great.

Well, at least now I have a cool story to tell around the campfire...although we'll be on the Texas side, near Nacogdoches--about 100 miles southwest of the final resting place of Huddie Ledbetter.

If I don't make it back, think of me the next time you hear the last song on Unplugged in New York!

Finally another one from my list, and #17 at that!

13 people picked Graceland?

That surprises me somehow (although I think that's a great album).

)I remember how great it was to me in 1986 to discover all these African and zydeco rhythms. 20 years after the album still sounds great (except for the drum machines) and the lyrics, with Paul Simon's bittersweet irony, even better.
That was my comment, but finally the album was #109

Didn't think Graceland would make it, since I've been seeing some anti-Paul Simon sentiment in Survivor. But happy to see it did.

I happen to think Rhythm of the Saints is his masterpiece (and my #14), but I'm probably the only person to have voted for it.

Well, if memory serves schleuse, you're not the biggest fan of this next record...

Rhythm of the Saints is superior to Graceland, Schwah? I always assumed it was a week follow-up (dunno who gave me that impression). I'll give it a listen first time I get a chance. I loved Graceland when it came out, although it didn't quite make my top 100 here.

John Lennon – PLASTIC ONO BAND (1970)

Total Points = 509.14

Fans: David (#1), Henrik (#2)

[no comments provided]

Snusmurik -

I'm probably the only person to think so, but yeah. It culls the sillier songs from Graceland, darkens and quiets the mood (except for when the drums kick start the album). Here's my comment from my list, since it won't make it:

"I know there is a fair amount of Paul Simon hate out there. I think I get it. Too often he thinks he is more clever than he actually is. But this album consistently stuns me and sweeps me away. The prime example of his best, most mature songwriting. And I suppose I prefer the Brazilian drums of this album to the strange Zydeco-Soweto hybrid of Graceland (which itself made my top-100). Album highlight is the stirring, troubling "Cool, Cool River" which confronts us with the following paradox: how can Simon assert that "sometimes even music cannot substitute for tears" when the build up to that cathartic cry feels exactly like tears of both joy and sorrow?"

You've just made me upload ROTS from my parents' archive, Schwah

I have no problem with The Doors debut, in fact it was in my top 100. All of the rest of their albums stink as albums. A couple singles on each one but that's it. So, I'm hoping that's it for Jim and co.

FWIW I voted for Paul Simon's debut album. Sentimental favorite. Plus good songs. Graceland would have been just outside top 100 for me.

Speaking of Paul Simon hate, there was a lot of it in the air immediately before Graceland was released. Then we all realized how talented he is. I saw him on the Hearts & Bones tour and was one of about 50 people in the audience.

I'm gonna go check it out too, never heard it.

Oh and, Plastic Ono, really?

1 2 3