Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2008 AM Forum Top 100 Albums Poll - RESULTS (Part 1)

Superbly done, Anthony! The number of participants doubled from the previous poll I made, which shows the AM community is growing.

The results so far are quite varied, which is what any good list should be. I love the fact two Massive Attacks made it, particularly my beloved Mezzanine. On the other hand TWO White Stripes' albums on the list is a big surprise to me. The grunge/alt rock faction seems to have the upper hand so far, given there are also albums by Pearl Jam, Nirvana, The Replacements, Pavement.

Honorio: great write-up for Blues Lines.

4 in my top 100 so far! (Massive Attack, Costello, Smith and Reed)

Excellent list, I am going to have to listen to all the albums I haven't yet and perhaps re listen the ones that have been a while. So far (sorry nicolas) only Robert Wyatt I haven't heard.

Many thanks, Jacek. Great to see you back!!

Oh Neo
You should try Wyatt
But be aware it takes a handful of listenings to unveil

5 of my top 100 are here so far, and most of the others were at least strongly considered (if I'd listened to ROCK BOTTOM a few more times before making my list, I probably would have included it, as it's wondrously strange and beautiful).

Anthony, are there any albums in the top 100 - outside of SOUND OF SILVER and any other 2007 albums that might have made it - that aren't in the current Acclaimed Music top 500?

(Please say "one". Please say "one".)

I don't think we can have much hope for that Harold !
Without counting Sound of Silver and my other 2007 albums, I have 25 bubbling under or not ranked album. A third of them are French and another third would make you throw rocks at me I guess... and I don't have much hope for the other third, as great as they can be I doubt much people have voted for the shape of punk to come, capture/release or Spank Rock first album.

Argh.

I’m gonna miss the revelation of the top 50 tomorrow, as I’ll be camping out. Dammit.

Some thoughts, having just read the whole thread for the first time:

Nine of my personal top 100 are in the 100-81 group: Parklife, Unplugged in NY, Otis Blue, White Blood Cells, Horses, My Aim Is True, Let It Be, Elephant, and A Love Supreme. Some of the other albums that made it were on my initial list of about 200 albums I drew up, but didn’t put in my top 100 (Ten, Transformer, Siamese Dream).

So, obviously, I’m very happy with how the list is unfolding so far!

As regards the “best live album” discussion, I love Nirvana’s album, but I actually ranked live albums by Talking Heads and Jerry Lee Lewis ahead of it.

Most importantly, bravo to Anthony for compiling and presenting the top 100. Apart from sifting through a massive number of albums—with this many voters, I wonder how many albums got at least one vote (500? 700? 1000?)—I’m really enjoying the presentation of cover art and individual comments. Well done, sir!