Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Kinks

Do you think the Kinks critically should be higher or lower? I would have them in my top 20.

Re: The Kinks

I don't know. I think they have the second greatest catalog of songs behind the Beatles. But, they also have never had an album I enjoy from start to finish, there are always at least 2-3 songs that I skip past. I think I'd still say top 20.

Talking about the Kinks, who are great by the way, I never understood why Celluloid Heroes is not as acclaimed as some of their other masterpieces. Because that is one seriously brilliant track.

I don't know. I think they have the second greatest catalog of songs behind the Beatles. But, they also have never had an album I enjoy from start to finish, there are always at least 2-3 songs that I skip past. I think I'd still say top 20

I agree with you I think they were more versatile than the Stones. I think their catalog goes 50 deep with Waterloo Sunset being so underrated. Being a American no one knows that song being a Kinks song. Every one here loves Led Zeppelin and the Kinks are sort of forgotten.

I just got 'Village Green' and 'Arthur' a few weeks ago - loved both albums. Should be slightly higher probably - I think they were at one stage in the top 10 in either songs or albums...

I think they should be ahead of higher-ranked contemporaries like The Doors, The Byrds, and Pink Floyd.

They have a very deep collection of unique and entertaining songs, especially from the 1966-1971 era.

To my ears, Village Green Preservation Society is a top 10 album.

Top 10? Just let me check your list here...hmmmm...let’s see....

Oh right, haven’t received one yet, Loophole. Hopefully you’ll be sending one – your contribution would be appreciated!

I’d put the Kinks up there, but not above the Floyd.

Kinks are in my top-10 artists, despoite the fact that none of their albums is consistently great. Their songbook is that incredible. As I've said before, Ray Davies is nearly an order of magnitude greater than Brian Wilson.

Anthony,

I will try to make a list this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.