Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2008 Acclaimed Music Songs Poll

I too tried not to think about it too much, I didn't take timelessness into account too much, I just listed everything I felt I enjoyed a lot and then started ranking with my IRC-program.

Easy, boys.

My wife thinks I'm crazy making music lists all the time, wondering whether song X or album Y should be #16 or #22. But I have realized that this will never be an exact science. As many of you have pointed out, the list changes from day to day, depending on the mood you're in.

Therefore, if you think this is an impossible task, you're thinking too much. Why not just make a top 100 list that is representative of all those 300/500/1111 songs you are considering?

Problem is I'm a completist. It's just how my brain works. So I'm just going to have to list everything I come up with, with full knowledge only 1-200 will get points. It's a bigger deal to me that I acknowledge all of it then separating what gets points, as I think going through the individual lists is as interesting, if not more interesting, than the final results.

The thing is that rating individual songs stopped making sense once the Beatles broke. Albums are unified pieces of work, not songs! It's like rating musicians. There's no point because their value changes depending on who they're playing with and what they're playing.

I agree on the artists part, it's friggin' impossible to make a top 50 artists. I got one, but I'm not at all satisfied.

Let's face it, the hard work starts once all the lists are published! :)

I didn’t truly realize how difficult this would be until I got into the nitty-gritty of it. And of course I’m over-thinking it; but I wouldn’t want it any other way. Unlike some of you, I can’t just throw together a last-minute list and be satisfied. Of course, a “quick-and-painless” approach such as that will probably let you sleep better at night, when in a week/month’s time you look at your list and think “Why did I put song x so high?!?” Oh well, I didn’t really put much time or thought into it anyway.” Whereas I’ll have the same regrets, except, I won’t have the same happy place to go to – I’ll be more tortured knowing that I put time and effort into it, but still ended up with the same frustration.

Making an album list was difficult, but it was a cakewalk compared to this! The biggest difference is that with my album list, there was a clear distinction between my #1 and #10 album, #10 album and #20, and so on. With my song list, it’s an entirely different story. The song at #50 could easily be my #1 song depending on the day of the week. Along those lines, there is no humanly way possible to determine what a “better” song is (in my head): Oasis’ “Live Forever” or Debussy’s “Nuages”? The only difference is, one is likely to make the final list; the other isn’t. But that’s not even a consideration; to me, they are both masterpieces of their respective creators and have equal meaning and timelessness that renders it impossible to rank one over the other. This is just one of many examples; choosing one song over another is like choosing which immediate family member you love more.

With that said, I’m pulling a “Wexler” – only a Deus ex machina will get a list from my computer to Moonbeam’s. Sorry.

With regard to jonmarck's comment, and with all due respect:

aaaarrrrgggghhh!

Heh. It's nice when jonmarck and I agree on something.

My first version (back in November) was far from perfect too, but it's getting there now. How about you guys just send Moonbeam what you've got by the 31st and improve it for next year?

Perhaps I should put a gloss on that:

"Albums are unified pieces of work, not songs!"

Well, why? I mean, I wouldn't deny that an album is (or can be) "unified," but why on earth wouldn't a song be? A great song, even post-1965, should be one that can both stand on its own AND contribute to the theme or mood or conceit of an album.

See, an album is not like a novel, in which you really would be getting an incomplete picture if you only read one chapter of, I dunno, David Copperfield or As I Lay Dying. An album (leaving aside jazz and ambient for a moment) is a collection of lyric poetry. It's set to music, but that doesn't really make a difference. You can read a collection of lyric poetry--Leaves of Grass, say--as a unified whole, but it's not illegitimate at all to appreciate the pieces of the collection individually.

It's a matter of scale, I guess. You can appreciate a rosebush, or you can appreciate the whole garden.

Neo (and Moonbeam), I'm gonna send something in, but like I said before, it's gonna be my top 200 as of late January 2008--in fact, it's gonna be my top 200 as of 11:27 am on January 27, 2008 (or something). I agree with Anthony--on any given day, my #150 could be my #5. It depends.

I'm not painting a Bosch, where everything has to be situated perfectly and exquisitely...given my comment about seeing what sticks, I guess my method is more like Jackson Pollock--reckless and messy. Which goes against my nature, but it's the best I can do.

I'm more of a song guy when I really think about it -- it's those moments in songs that make the hair on your neck stand up, or put a lump in your throat. Can't think of many albums that can sustain that type of response!

"Well, why? I mean, I wouldn't deny that an album is (or can be) 'unified,' but why on earth wouldn't a song be? A great song, even post-1965, should be one that can both stand on its own AND contribute to the theme or mood or conceit of an album."

Songs don't stand on their own for the same reason that people stopped buying singles. You can never get the true representation of an artist from just one song. One song carries one mood, one emotion, one theme, and people are WAY more complex than that. It takes two eyes to perceive depth, and it takes a large batch of work to understand an artist.

"See, an album is not like a novel, in which you really would be getting an incomplete picture if you only read one chapter of, I dunno, David Copperfield or As I Lay Dying. An album (leaving aside jazz and ambient for a moment) is a collection of lyric poetry. It's set to music, but that doesn't really make a difference. You can read a collection of lyric poetry--Leaves of Grass, say--as a unified whole, but it's not illegitimate at all to appreciate the pieces of the collection individually."

It's not, and there are many great songs that stand alone. But how can we rate these on the same scale as the songs that don't? Would A Day in the Life be as good if it weren't at the end of Sgt. Pepper's? I doubt it. But Ain't No Mountain High Enough and River Deep Mountain High are excellent songs regardless of the context. Why should they get the advantage? There's nothing worth nominating from U2's Pop, and All That You Can't Leave Behind has a couple worthy tracks, but I'll take any Pop song over something from All That You Can't Leave Behind any day, simply because of the album it references.

Even worse, every time someone lists their favourite 100 songs a puppy dies. Do YOU want to be responsible for killing puppies?

Thank God we're listing 200 instead of 100. Although I do think our album polls must have contributed to the deaths of more than 40 ponies.
It sounds like when Bono asks for quiet at U2 concerts and then begins to clap his hands every few seconds. "Every time I clap my hands a child in Africa dies," he tells the audience. To which some smart ass replies, "Stop doing it then, you evil bastard."

“Songs don't stand on their own for the same reason that people stopped buying singles. You can never get the true representation of an artist from just one song. One song carries one mood, one emotion, one theme, and people are WAY more complex than that. It takes two eyes to perceive depth, and it takes a large batch of work to understand an artist.”

Well, fair enough—if the goal is to try to appreciate an artist in his/her/their totality. Most of the best musicians express many different facets—often contradictory. Of course you’re not gonna get a complete picture of the Rolling Stones by listening to “Beast of Burden”—but neither do you get a complete picture by listening to all of Some Girls. An album may represent MORE of an artist than a song, but every album is a different statement, just as every song is. And I would argue that a Greatest Hits can actually be a truer, fuller way to appreciate an artist’s body of work.

(And I seriously doubt that the market for singles died because teenagers were frustrated that a single could only express a tiny part of the wonder that was Night Ranger. Singles died, partly because of the prestige Dylan and the Beatles brought to the LP format, but mostly because albums are just a much better value for money.)

As for rating “Day in the Life” alongside “River Deep” (to use your example), “Day in the Life” holds up just fine on its own (as we saw in bracketology). Of course I’m not saying we have to ignore the context of the album for which it’s a perfect coda—that only enhances our appreciation of both the song and the album.

I’m guessing a lot of you will disagree with me here, but there are a lot of songs whose context is a part of appreciating them—you can’t fully appreciate “Day in the Life” without knowing about Sgt. Pepper, and you can’t fully appreciate “River Deep” without knowing about the relationship between Ike & Tina (and Spector). And you can’t appreciate “Like a Rolling Stone” without knowing that nobody had ever heard a single like that before, and you can’t appreciate “Anarchy in the U.K.” without knowing what it was reacting to.

You can ENJOY all those songs without knowing all that stuff music nerds know, but I think we ought to aspire to evaluate songs based on more than just our gut reactions (although gut reactions are important). Otherwise, we're just American Bandstand.

However, I may have to reconsider my position in light of the whole puppy thing—I thought it was kittens.

I hate kittens.

I’m guessing a lot of you will disagree with me here, but there are a lot of songs whose context is a part of appreciating them—you can’t fully appreciate “Day in the Life” without knowing about Sgt. Pepper, and you can’t fully appreciate “River Deep” without knowing about the relationship between Ike & Tina (and Spector). And you can’t appreciate “Like a Rolling Stone” without knowing that nobody had ever heard a single like that before, and you can’t appreciate “Anarchy in the U.K.” without knowing what it was reacting to.

You can ENJOY all those songs without knowing all that stuff music nerds know, but I think we ought to aspire to evaluate songs based on more than just our gut reactions (although gut reactions are important). Otherwise, we're just American Bandstand.

I agree a lot with this - we all bring an understanding of historical context, PLUS our very own personal context.

Songs evoke those personal moments in people, regardless of whether within an album, on the radio, when your IPod's on shuffle, etc.

Though I do have to say I don't mind the Bandstand-y junk aspect of some singles - there are those tracks that just put a hop in my step, or are pure unadulterated sugar, that I still love. What's fun is listing those tracks next to the "important" ones - it can become a ridiculous exercise unless you try to have a good time with it and keep it in perspective.

I think we ought to aspire to evaluate songs based on more than just our gut reactions (although gut reactions are important). Otherwise, we're just American Bandstand.

Well, I think gut reactions are decisive to rate our best songs
hell , we know or heard so many songs.. How are we gonna do to pick the best ones ? Take an encyclopedia ?
Maybe I'n not a natural born critic, but what interests me is the direct relation I have to one song. What does it tell me of itself, of myself ?
So the guts thing is essential, it's let's say 80 % to me.
My favorite songs ARE guts thing. I realize that he first 6 are songs that either I recorded or sang in public.
It is an emotional approach, maybe more artistic than intellectual.
Of course the personal knowledge of music history helped me. It helped me to search like a map may help a treasure searcher.
I won't pick "Rock around the clock" because it was the first rnr hit, but because it's a fucking good song full of swing and fun.

I think you enjoy a song for its aesthetic and you appreciate it for its achievement. Then the question is do we rate them according to how much we enjoy them or appreciate them?

Yes.

No, I mean which one do we choose to rate them? It's a lot simpler with albums because albums usually have songs that are meant to be fun alongside songs that are meant to be important but how can we rate the individual songs when they're trying to do two different things? That's why I gave up. Good on you guys if you're getting lists in but it's too tough a job for me. I'm just not much of a song-guy.

I chose enjoy.

You rate them based on a combination of the two. My list will be a mishmash of personal favorites and stone-cold classics that defined modern popular music. Obviously songs that rate high in both categories will rate high on the list overall.

In other words, what Schleuse said.

Don't take it too seriously - just think of a whole bunch of songs you like and chuck it in order...

My own list is starting at 907 songs, so it's going to be a painful process narrowing it down. The work begins...

Enjoy, definitely
But achievement might be a second criteria when choosing between 2 songs becomes too hard.
Interesting point you made, jonmarck !

Yeah, really interesting...
I made my lists from a personal point of view.
A music listener's point of view.
In a way it is a rather passive attitude, and that's probably what you pointed out schleuse when you mentioned American Bandstand, but I do that on purpose.
My lists won't be "the best albums of all-time" but "my favorite albums/songs"
Same attitude in Survivor
Of course, rational or "political" decisions are taken sometimes. Or you would end up with an all-Springsteen list (nah, that's not even true)

A critics point of view is different. During my modest experience as a critic for a few magazines, I had to review albums I could analyse as good but for which I wasn't very enthousiastic. It's a difficult exercise, and after a while I preferd to give them to colleagues and write about things I really liked.

Since I raised the question, maybe it wasn't fair of me to present a smartass one-word answer. Rocky put it well, though.

There's a lot more to be said on this topic, but I'm too busy today to take the time to say it. Just one point, though: although listening as a critic and listening for enjoyment are not the same thing, someone who's well-educated about music and has some critical skill will automatically enjoy music differently.

The best example from my own listening is Bob Dylan. It took me a loooong time to get into Bob, and I had to learn some things about Woody Guthrie and the blues and Greenwich Village and 1965 and poetry and the "carnivalesque" before I could really appreciate him. But now that I'm much better informed, I can enjoy most of his stuff without reservation.

These are the advantages of music nerdery...

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. I focused on "enjoy" but knowing the history of songs or artists, knowing their importance, knowing their influence will increase the enjoyment of a song. So in the end, even though it all comes down to "How much do I enjoy listening to this song?", there will be a lot of factors taken into account.

If you would have asked me what my favorite song was before I found this website, I would have named my current #2 song. The enjoyment I get from my current #1 is larger now that I've learned about the history, the importance, etc. Of course my #1 was already ranked fairly high, but its enjoyment-value increased when my knowledge of the song increased.

I focus on enjoyment and also genre-spread. Achievement comes thereafter. I hope you will find my list interesting.

Enjoyment + Knowledge of course
That's not the "good savage" enjoyment, that's right

There's music that I neither 'enjoy', nor I care less about its achievement.

I used to classify and rate the music - both albums and songs - based on three characteristics:

"goed" = good - Or in other words 'quality', measured by artistic value, originality, diversity and consistency (in case of albums). Good songs / albums are usually those, that make me curious to listen to again (and again). Examples are Radiohead, Joy Division, Kraftwerk, the 70's Bowie, Prince, etc.

"mooi" = beautiful - The beauty of the song/album, measured mainly by emotionality (the goose-bumps factor). Examples are Crowded House, Wilco's latest album, Coldplay, U2's One, etc.

"leuk" = funny - Just fun to listen to, I guess this is what most of you mean with enjoyment. Examples are debut album by The Triffids, Jason & The Scorchers, The La's, The View, etc.

I stopped doing this a long time ago, because it took ages to come to a decent rating ... life's too short for that ... or I'm not nerdy enough

Henrik, if you rank Ennio Morricone as high as you did in 2005 it'll be very interesting.

By the way, Moonbeam, I'm not sure how good your Italian or film knowledge is, but I listed "Il Buono, Il Cattivo, Il Brutto", which is the same as "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly". Not that it'll make the top 200 probably, but we can always hope.

Great, Neo!

This is the start of the new campaign

*** VOTE ENNIO FOR NO. 1 ***

Or maybe this more humble approach will attract more people?

*** VOTE ENNIO FOR THE TOP 100 ***

Schleuse, I think its interesting what you said about Dylan because I instantly liked him (and I'm not generally well informed about anything). For me it was jazz. I was exposed to it for a looooong time before it clicked. Suddenly it started to make sense, but that was based on lots of exploring into other areas of music such as old blues, etc.)

Which leads me to the next point. There are two kinds of knowledge that will help you appreciate music better: (1) knowledge about the historical context and (2) a more expansive musical palette (i.e., "knowledge" about the musical context). The second kind is more involuntary, but probably explains why I didn't like jazz until the musical backstory got comfortable in my mind.

But I didn't need any of that for Bob. I must have been born pre-wired to like Bob. As soon as I heard that the sun wasn't yellow, but in fact chicken, I was on board.

(3) Knowledge of musical performance/theory – ie. playing any type of instrument.

Accounts for a portion of my appreciation of music; albeit not the biggest portion, but it certainly has an effect on my musical preferences. As a guitarist, four examples come to mind right away – Hendrix, Nick Drake, Jonny Greenwood, and Jack White. Each had a unique approach to the guitar, and hearing it in their records adds to my appreciation and enjoyment.

I'm basing my list on pure enjoyment. We have critics to evaluate the worth and importance of things, and while knowledge of a song's influence and history can affect my enjoyment of it, at the end of the day, there's going to be a few Roxette songs in my list. Deal with it!

Good one Anthony. I always notice the bass parts because of my playing.

As a guitarist who knows nothing about scales or soloing but can play rhythm well enough I am fond of songs with cool chord progressions that are fun to play on my acoustic. I've got an old electric Les Paul knockoff made in the 60's that has a pretty decent sound but I never play it.

It bugs me when I love a song but can't play it on my guitar in any accurate way. But, I still love Television.

I heard someone put it this way: Music either hits you in the head, the heart, the feet or the groin. It can make you think, feel, dance or lust. (Personally I add the fingers too, for the reason Anthony mentioned above.) If it hits in two or more of those places, well, then you've got a hit! Still, my problem is that I find it difficult to reconcile these separate goals. How can I judge a song that's intended to make you think (Kid A era Radiohead, for example) against one that's supposed to make you feel (Otis Redding)? To me it's like picking a favourite animal or a favourite eating utensil. Each one is meant to do different things!

Regardless, I don't want to discourage submissions. I just felt I should give some sort of explanation.

Jonmark, you've articulated very well exactly why I can't do this project. I already regret a lot of my album selections (i.e., somehow I just FORGOT to include "All Mod Cons" by The Jam and "Steve McQueen" by Prefab Sprout. Ugh!) I know I would have severe buyer's remorse even if I could get through the ranking.

But most of you all are more rankers/listers than me anyway, so I look forward to seeing your submissions.

Who cares if it's not totally reflective. The goal is to get as many submissions as possible to get an overall feel of how our community feels. I really hope you guys decide to submit some kind of list.

So how about that Maria Sharapova - 2008 Australian Open Champ?

And Jo-Wilfried Tsonga playing the final

yes, of course, instrument playing and singing
that's why I dig old blues so much (my favorite instrument is the acoustic gtr)
Being a musician (amateur of course) plays a big part in my choices

...child on christmas...How many lists are there now?

Also, the more you listen to music, your focus changes.

When I was a kid I would focus on the lyrics. When I was like 13 and just starting to really listen to music, I focused on the vocal melody more.

When I got to 18 or so, I noticed instrumental skill more and more, and started listening to classic rock so the whole context by which I judged new music was changing.

Few years later, now I like the interplay, the emotion, the playing off musical context, and the overall feel in addition to the lyrics, vocal melody and instrumental skill. All a song really needs to be enjoyable is to hit one or two of those aspects really well.

My brother went to Berklee school of music so he likes jam bands and such with good chord progressions and solid musical theory. My father grew up in the 60s so he likes stuff influenced by the great music from that time, and my mother doesn't really listen to music so she only gets into soft of softer folky music. (Her Christmas present from me: The Reminder).

And my best friend loved classical before he even accepted that popular music could be good, so he's more affected by vituosic guitar playing like with Hendrix. (And whenever he likes something like Guns N Roses or Depeche Mode he says things like "It's trashy, but it's supposed to be!")

The only constant is "The more you listen to music the better you are at judging it", otherwise it's a matter of your own perspective determined by your own experience.

I'm going to start going down the AM top artists lists just to brainstorm my favorite songs. I'll list all of the ones that *really* affect me, then see how long that list is.

Question, does the order matter, or is it going to be like most singles polls, just a list of inclusions?

And there I just made a list of 200 songs which is by no means a definitive representation of my tastes but is probably more or less accurate of them.

Not in order though. No way I can reasonably put them in order without putting way more effort than I'm willing to.

"Question, does the order matter, or is it going to be like most singles polls, just a list of inclusions?"

I forgot how this was going to be tabulated as well.

Order matters, however, I think if you submit an unordered list everything could get the average amount of points.

If I can submit an un-ordered list, I will do it. Didn't know that was an option.

I just spent the last two hours giving it another shot and gave up again. There are just too many great songs out there!

I'm not a 100 percent sure Loophole, you'd have to ask Moonbeam, but I don't think it would be much harder to give every song the average amount of points.

An unordered list is better than no list at all
And in a way, it is even better (although less practical for calculations) than an ordered list.
But I gave an order, very unsure. So far I have ranked a little more than 200 titles

Just submitted my list and guess what? It's ordered!

The ordering was the difficult part, not to get to a selection of 200 songs. No comments from my side, I had a hard time to find suitable comments to the top 10 or so songs.

I've submitted mine as well... ordered

Ordered list is on its way, and yeah, it's 1000. I'm really happy with it though, and think it's about as representative as I can get with where I'm at these days. Here's a year breakdown for the curious...

1920s - 4
1930s - 3
1940s - 11
1950-1955 - 7
1956 - 7
1957 - 4
1958 - 8
1959 - 12
1960 - 4
1961 - 8
1962 - 12
1963 - 16
1964 - 17
1965 - 24
1966 - 30
1967 - 38
1968 - 48
1969 - 59
1970 - 31
1971 - 56
1972 - 44
1973 - 40
1974 - 33
1975 - 21
1976 - 23
1977 - 24
1978 - 24
1979 - 19
1980 - 16
1981 - 16
1982 - 22
1983 - 14
1984 - 16
1985 - 10
1986 - 8
1987 - 13
1988 - 15
1989 - 10
1990 - 10
1991 - 9
1992 - 13
1993 - 18
1994 - 16
1995 - 13
1996 - 14
1997 - 19
1998 - 21
1999 - 10
2000 - 16
2001 - 13
2002 - 10
2003 - 12
2004 - 14
2005 - 7
2006 - 8
2007 - 10

Hopefully the emphasis on 65-74 doesn't make me look like a total classic rocker -- it's probably more of a reflection of the great soul, jazz, and Tropicalia stuff I love so much from that era. (And yes, it is a peak period for some of our much-loved "acclaimed" artists, who do make their mark.)

Anyway, that was a lot of fun, mainly as I dug out a lot of stuff in the last weeks while attempting to order.

Sonofsamiam, you're crazy.
Ranking 1000 songs is impossible.

1000! Wow... Looking forward to checking out your list sonofsamiam!

Wow, 1969 was a good year!

My list will probably include more songs from this decade than any other.

The lists are really starting to pour in! I've gotten at least a dozen in the past few days- which is great! My own list is still taking some time, although the process is fun.

Wow, 1969 was a good year!

I was actually surprised it had more votes in my list than 1971, but '71 remains my favorite year and had way more tracks in the upper regions of my list.

I've come to the realization that relative few things in my Top 200 will likely make the final list, but that's OK. Maybe some people here will check out some of the more seemingly obscure stuff, and I'll be sure to do the same with everyone else's lists. The learning opportunity involved with exercises like this is so great.

Moonbeam, please confirm if you have reached my list
Which day publish the results?

Aaaaaaaargh I forgot Like Dylan in the movies (biggest recent grower).

Well, not surprising but I have 94 songs upon 200 which has been made on the 00s... with 2005 as the winner year (which has surprised me, I thought 1997 would win, but well, no song from the most acclaimed of this year so "only" 17 songs made the list)

Moonbeam

What is your exact deadline hour ? 31st of january but
GTM ? Australian ? American ?

I'm already regretting sending it in too soon

I've only just discovered Neil Young's excellent repertoire (I know, shoot me), and recently listened to "Rust Never Sleeps" for the first time, and I feel I should give him a few inclusions too. I think I'll have to expand my top 300.. sonofsamiam, here I come!

Prognosis question:

How many Beatles songs have you included and how many songs with the artist (group) that you have the most songs with?

4 Beatles entries, 11 Bowie-songs

7 Beatles entry (beating many artists I like more) and 11 Elliott Smith songs

13 Beatles (out of 250 songs)
11 Springsteen

Prognosis question:

How many Beatles songs have you included and how many songs with the artist (group) that you have the most songs with?

10 Beatles songs in my Top 1000, 2 in the Top 200.

Bob Dylan, Curtis Mayfield, Funkadelic, John Coltrane, and Prince each have 4 in my Top 200.

Beatles songs in the top 200 (and 300): 2 (4)
Top artist: Bob Dylan - Songs in the top 200 (and 300): 14 (20)

1950s 9
1960s 63
1970s 67
1980s 72
1990s 45
2000s 44

Turns out the 00s aren't so bad after all. Or maybe it's just because they're know and fresh in my mind.

know = new*

To not make this post entirely useless, top year: 1965 with 14 songs in the top 300.

R.E.M. is my favorite band, but that seems to be based on albums only. Stipe & Co. only have 9 songs in my top 200, The Beatles win with 10 songs. Way too many, if you ask me. Well, I've already submitted my list, better luck next time ...

Beatles:6
The Smiths:11
In top 200
Damn - still have to finish it...

I haven't submitted mine yet, but my current draft has 1 Beatles song. There's one Beatles song bubbling under, so they could get in with two (probably not).

My bands with the most songs are Blur and New Order with 9 songs each.

How many artists is everyone representing? I've got 112 in mine.

Beatles: 8
Guided By Voices: 5
Kinks: 5
Zombies: 5

Moonbeam, can I submit my list before 31st in th evening (GMT) or will it be too late for you ?
What time do you stop (I'll send my list at the last minute)

Top artist: Songs in my top 200
Bob Dylan: 2
Bruce Springsteen: 2
David Bowie: 2
Elvis Costello: 2
Elvis Presley: 2
Leonard Cohen: 2
Marvin Gaye: 2
Pixies: 2
Public Enemy: 2
Stevie Wonder: 2
The Beatles: 2
The Kinks: 2
The Rolling Stones: 2
The Smiths: 2
Van Morrison: 2

And............ New Kids on the Block: 7

All Apologies

Moonbeam,

I'm in the middle of application writing and term start and what-not, so unless a minor miracle happens (like January suddenly having 32 days), I'm unlikely to make it, but I'll follow the unveiling of the results with undiminished enthusiasm.

I will try, but just had to get that off my chest

From my top 200:

13 Beatles and 11 Stones.
And I thought Radiohead would be the most, guess I have not much self knowledge

How many artists is everyone representing? I've got 112 in mine.

151 artists in my Top 200.

124 here.

Just to sync my watch to jan AM midnight time...

I guess PM means post midday (lunch time). I believe AM lives in Greenwich, ENGLAND, not Greenwich Village new York...so 4.39 PM means that I have one day and 7 hours and 21 minutes left to midnight to post my list, which, Moonbeam, I already did a few days ago...I use to be wrong about these things...so correct me...

Another idea is that it's 24.00 hours on the LAST place in the world that is the limit...in any case, don't be late, submit your list as it is in time.

Take care of Moonbeam, ur compiler! :)

AM means Acclaimed Music...not anything else!

AMF would be better...

I got mine in. Let me know if you haven't received it, Moonbeam.

I went up to 350, but here's some statistics for my top-200:

7 entries: Beatles, Beck
6 entries: Bjork
5 entries: Pavement, Prince
4 entries: Arcade Fire, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, The Kinks, PJ Harvey, Radiohead, Sly and the Family Stone, Super Furry Animals, The Who

1930's: 1
1950's: 6
1960's: 50
1970's: 30
1980's: 7
1990's: 68
2000's: 38

It'll be interesting to see how much our Beatles overlap.

What are we looking at for a reveal date Moonbeam?

And I'm done. Just sent it off.

I took my philosophy of doing it fast and dirty to its logical conclusion--last night, I threw everything out and started over. The list of 200 I just submitted was assembled and ranked in about 3 hours. No agonizing, no fine-tuning, done by the seat of my pants.

It's the only way I could have done it without going nuts. And I'm pretty happy with the result; I'm sure in a couple of days (or a couple of hours) I'm going to think of something I should have included, but so be it.

(Given my method, I didn't mess with figuring out years or statistics, but songs ranged from 1930 to 2007, and I'm pretty sure R.E.M. had the most songs--eight.)

It's Dos Equis time.

Mine's in.

And I hate myself for it.

Haha, excellent.

Sorry if this has already been addressed: Are we talking the 31st of January according to the timestamp this site goes by, the time where Moonbeam is, or anywhere on earth?

I'm giving it a stab but we're coming down to the wire.

I just submitted mine as a google doc. I'll probably update it with some notes over the next day or so, but I won't play around with the order of the songs so you can add those to your master uber list whenever you want.

Just an update! I have now received 24 lists, and the consensus is starting to form. Slush, I've been unable to access your list, as I don't have a google account. So far, 2885 songs have been chosen by at least one poster!

The lists I have received and recorded so far:

Andre
Anthony
BillAdama
Doug
Eduard
Fred
Giuseppe
Henrik
Honorio
John
Jonah
Lonesome Panda
Mark Propp
Midaso
Miguel
Mitchell Stirling
Mo
Neoptolemos
Otisredding
Ozphoenix
Pop Elton
Schleuse
Schwah
Vgrd

Moonbeam, can you wait until 0:00 GMT (or more ?)

Nicolas, that's fine! I'm not going to be too strict about it. Truth be told, I probably won't be able to post the results until Monday, Australia time.

I could throw Slush' list into an Excel file if you want.

I've done it! For once, I wasn't late for something.

The artists with the most songs in the list are: Neutral Milk Hotel, Velvet Underground, Moneybrother, The Beatles and Rufus Wainwright, all with 4.

Should I change my Bob Dylan records by Moneybrother records?

1 2 3