Author
Comment
Re: 2008 Acclaimed Music Songs Poll

Mine's in.

And I hate myself for it.

Haha, excellent.

Sorry if this has already been addressed: Are we talking the 31st of January according to the timestamp this site goes by, the time where Moonbeam is, or anywhere on earth?

I'm giving it a stab but we're coming down to the wire.

I just submitted mine as a google doc. I'll probably update it with some notes over the next day or so, but I won't play around with the order of the songs so you can add those to your master uber list whenever you want.

Just an update! I have now received 24 lists, and the consensus is starting to form. Slush, I've been unable to access your list, as I don't have a google account. So far, 2885 songs have been chosen by at least one poster!

The lists I have received and recorded so far:

Andre
Anthony
BillAdama
Doug
Eduard
Fred
Giuseppe
Henrik
Honorio
John
Jonah
Lonesome Panda
Mark Propp
Midaso
Miguel
Mitchell Stirling
Mo
Neoptolemos
Otisredding
Ozphoenix
Pop Elton
Schleuse
Schwah
Vgrd

Moonbeam, can you wait until 0:00 GMT (or more ?)

Nicolas, that's fine! I'm not going to be too strict about it. Truth be told, I probably won't be able to post the results until Monday, Australia time.

I could throw Slush' list into an Excel file if you want.

I've done it! For once, I wasn't late for something.

The artists with the most songs in the list are: Neutral Milk Hotel, Velvet Underground, Moneybrother, The Beatles and Rufus Wainwright, all with 4.

Should I change my Bob Dylan records by Moneybrother records?

I wouldn't say you should change in all your Dylan albums in Moneybrother albums, but you could definitely chuck out some of his 80's albums for Blood Panic and To Die Alone, if you're out of shelf space.

Just sent my list, so if you could let me know if you got it, that would be great. The songs list seems a lot more arbitrary to me than the albums list, with mood being a much bigger deciding factor. I could see many of the songs outside my top 30 moving up or down as much as 40 for 50 spots on any given day. Oh well, I'm sure I've left off about 10 songs I forgot, but I was pretty thorough. This was much harder for me since I was starting basically from scratch, unlike with my albums list. Looking forward to final result.

Eight Beatles songs by the way, but there was one other artist that scored nine songs. Now that I type that, I'm even rethinking my list at this late date. Too late now.

Okay, I exported it to an excel since I have excel at work :)

Well, my statistics are a bit too revealing. I made a conscious effort to not have so many songs from the 2000s, but since I did a lot of this based on iTunes counts this decade is overly represented (I did cut it down from about 110 out of 200 songs). Plus, it has been since 2005 that the real music nerdiness has come. Oh well, there needs to be some counterbalance to all those Beatles songs

1950s: 1
1960s: 21
1970s: 29
1980s: 25
1990s: 47
2000s: 77

Most songs per year from each decade:

1965: 7 songs
1977: 7 songs
1985: 6 songs
1998: 8 songs
2005: 18 songs (I think you can thank this on the fact that this was the year when I overcompensated and became a total music nerd, so I know this year's music best).

A quick snapshot:

1940s (and prior) - 2
1950s - 4
1960s - 22
1970s - 26
1980s - 15
1990s - 79
2000s - 52

Pearl Jam 12
Radiohead 11
The Smashing Pumpkins 10
The Beatles 9
Oasis 8
Jeff Buckley 7
U2 7

I'm happy about the representation in my list, but completely unsatisfied with the ranking.

I've just sent my list !
Moonbeam, can you confirm this ?

My list is a top 100, that's the best than I can do.
I love lists but I've never made a list over 100 (except for my "top ex-girlfriends" ) and I'll never make a list over 100.
More seriously, I'm not really into songs lists, I prefer albums lists. Like many people here, I think songs are too hard to rank.
If a list should contain 200 songs, people tend to want to rank all the songs they love and then even a top 200 is never enough. And a top 200 (or more for some crazy people who want to rank 1000 songs!) is very hard and boring to read for the other people. I prefer when the number of songs (or albums for top albums lists) is more restricted. I would have loved better a poll like this : as Nick Hornby in his book "31 songs" (a very good book), everyone has to make an unranked selection of 31 songs ("why 31 ?" : ask to Nick Hornby) that have been important in your life. I would have loved that.
No matter, my list is done, it's a top 100, there are songs from 1957 to 2006 (the '60s and '70s are well-represented), there is just one song by artist (except one artist who have 2 songs). I've a fine list I think. These are all great and fantastic songs. I've made my list in 3 hours (2 hours to make the selection and 1 hour to rank), no headaches. It's my january 31 list, no more. Tomorrow's list probably would be different.

The lists I have received and recorded so far:

Doug

Moonbeam, you're probably talking about me -- my list should be flagged for sonofsamiam when it's posted. Thanks kind sir!

And a top 200 (or more for some crazy people who want to rank 1000 songs!) is very hard and boring to read for the other people.

Why is it that people assume their opinions about list can be ascribed to everyone else? (This coming from one of those "crazy people" who submitted 1000 songs.)

I'm sorry, but just because it's hard for you, doesn't make it somehow "wrong" for everyone else -- I love seeing the big lists, it shows a lot of breadth, and even more importantly is likely to steer me in new directions.

I mean, if any forum should be safe for posting big lists free of criticism or questioning, it should be this one.

And now I'll leave my soapbox...

"There Is Nothing More To Say" from Begin is also quite great, but I can see the criticism about the super-soft-pop on there. They're sort of the halfway point between The Beach Boys and The Free Design (not a bad thing in my book).

(Whoops, meant to post in the other thread. Would be nice if we could edit our posts...

I'm sorry Sonofsamiam, I didn't want to hurt you. I don't try to denigrate this poll or the people who make big list. I just wanted to point the fact that the too much of too much of too much top songs, top albums and top of everything maybe isn't the best way the draw people's attention to something.
And however I'm someone who's a list fanatic. But the overabundance disturb me a little. That's just my point my point of vue. I respect everyone's opinion.

just sent my 300 songs, ranked and everything
now i'm gonna live a normal life. Great

Not a chance, first you have to submit your favorite songs and albums of 1980.

My most mentions per artist:

Bob Dylan - 10
White Stripes - 8
Beatles - 6
Elvis Costello - 6
Joni Mitchell - 6
The Band - 6
Stones - 5
Hendrix - 5
Radiohead - 5
With 4: Bowie, Zeppelin, Beach Boys, The Clash, Nirvana, Simon & Garfunkel, Lucinda Williams

Only 29 00's songs.

Just looked at my list and noticed that the Husker Du entry has a blank in the place of the song. The song should be "Turn on the News." I also sent an e-mail on this. Thanks.

I'm sorry Sonofsamiam, I didn't want to hurt you. I don't try to denigrate this poll or the people who make big list. I just wanted to point the fact that the too much of too much of too much top songs, top albums and top of everything maybe isn't the best way the draw people's attention to something.
And however I'm someone who's a list fanatic. But the overabundance disturb me a little. That's just my point my point of vue. I respect everyone's opinion.

No big deal -- I certainly wasn't hurt, just a tad annoyed. I actually suffer from list exhaustion too, at least as far as sheer number of lists. That's why I save up my reserves for just songs & albums, because that's where the most fun is at.

I think I only had 4 or 5 songs from the 2000s...

Decades statistics

'20s : 6
'30s : 5
'40s : 11
'50s : 21
'60s : 49
'70s : 57
'80s : 17
'90s : 29
'00s : 5

I only sent in a top 100. Looks like this:

1880s: 1
1930s: 1
1940s: 2
1950s: 6
1960s: 23
1970s: 26
1980s: 16
1990s: 15
2000s: 10

per artist:

R.E.M.: 7
Tindersticks: 6
The Beatles: 5
The Smiths: 5
Pavement: 5
Radiohead: 5
The Rolling Stones: 5
Joy Division : 4

per decade:

60s: 29
70s: 39
80s: 46
90s: 61
00s: 25

OK, I'm going to reveal the last song on my list. It's Robin Williams! with..."Shakespeare (A Meltdowners Nightmare). Yes, he actually utters some kind of singing in the middle of all the talking. Recommended.

Other stats (top 200)

Genre

Blues 26
Chanson (French pop) 17
Classical /Avant garde / Contemporary 3
Country/Folk 12
Electro 2
Jazz 6
World/Reggae 7
Rap / R&B 27
Rock 100 (so exactly 50 % !)

Artists (top 200) 120 artists
Beatles 11
Springsteen 10
Tom Waits 7
Georges Brassens 6
Jacques Brel 6
The Divine Comedy 5
Leadbelly 4
Bob Dylan 4
Neil Young 4
Stevie Wonder 4
Robert Johnson 4
The Kinks 3
Jimi Hendrix 3
David Bowie 3
Robert Wyatt 3

Whew!

After countless hours of tabulating and re-tabulating, the list seems to be complete! A total of 36 lists have graced my presence, all of which have been very fascinating. The vast wealth of knowledge present in this forum is evident in the nearly 4,000 songs that were nominated. I've definitely got my homework ahead of me!

I received lists from the following:

Ajackson
Andre
Anthony
BillAdama
Dumbangel
Eduard
Fred
Georgie
Giuseppe
Henrik
Honorio
John
Jonah
Lonesome Panda
Mark Propp
Maurice
Michel
Midaso
Miguel
Mitchell Stirling
Moonbeam
Neoptolemos
Nicolas
Otisredding
Ozphoenix
Pop Elton
Rendle
Rocky Raccoon
Rune
Schleuse
Schwah
Slush
Sonofsamiam
Stammer
Toni
Vgrd

I'm going to crash for awhile, and though I may post some preliminaries, the big list won't be unveiled until Monday, most probably.

David Bowie 2
The Beatles 2
John Lennon 2
Lou Reed 2

My list might be done by Monday. (Work, being the main problem). I know it won't be included in the stats, but that probably won't make a difference. I'll throw it up with the individual lists in case anyone is interested.

While Moonbeam might wish he were many persons we can all listen to "Moonbeams" by Bent".

aww, no netjade on the list of submissions

We can also listen to "The Moonbeam song" by Harry Nilsson !

Beatles - 9
Prince - 9
U2 - 6
Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones and the Who - 5

That's eight artists with 49 out of 200 songs. Surprised I still had room for 26 songs from this decade; although one of them was a crossover.

Let's get a taste today Moonbeam! That would be awesome!

157 different artist in top 200:

Rolling Stones 5
Clash, Nirvana, Pixies, REM, Replacements 4
GBV 3 (Plus one Pollard Solo)
Janes Addiction 3

'60s 44
'70s 39
'80s 55
'90s 48
'00s 14

I don't think the low number for the current decade is a reflection on my opinion of the quality of music being put out now but just a need to see which songs pass the test of time criteria.

Glad to see GBV songs get some votes. A couple of theirs made my original short list of about 350 songs, but fell just short of the top 200.

I listed a cover version and an original of the same song in my list. Anyone do the same?

I can name that tune in one note.

Nope, not me Schwah.

Each of the 200 spots were too precious to waste on listing (what essentially boils down to) the same song twice.

I'm really bored at work. The excitement of seeing this list is adding to that boredom tenfold.

John - here's a boredom cure:
http://www.listverse.com

(Warning: opening above link will result in a severe decline in workplace productivity.)

Wowsers! Thank you Anthony. No more waiting for Digg to give me my list fix.

Springsteen - 5
Neil Young - 5
The Smiths - 5
Elvis Presley - 4
Merle Haggard - 4

Anthony -

Based upon previous discussions regarding the relative importance of the artist having written his or her own material, I knew I might elicit a reaction similar to yours. That's why I posted my question just now. To be even more provocative, I listed the cover version one place higher on the list than the original. I clearly disagree with your analysis that I have listed what boils down to the same song twice. If, as I believe to be the case with my pair, the cover version takes a very different approach to the song, you've got two very different recordings. I like both of them a lot (obviously), but for quite different reasons.

Hard to talk about this without ruiningthe surprise (and perhaps I should since I don't think either will make the master list), but I'm more curious as to what John believes my pair to be (assuming he was replying to my post).

Anthony -

Given prior discussions regarding the relative importance of the artist having written his or her own material, I suspected I might get a reaction similar to yours. That's why I wrote the post. To be even more provocative, I listed the cover version one placement higher than the original.

Obviously, I disagree that the two recordings essentially boil down to the same song, if, as I believe to be the case with my pair, the cover takes a very different approach to the song as written.

It's hard to talk about this without ruining the surpirse (and perhaps I should, since I doubt either of them will make the final list), but I'm more curious as to what John thought I was talking about (assuming he was responding to my post).

Sorry about the double post.

Hmm...who will win?

Beatles - A Day In The Life?
Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone?

The list has been compiled! I was thinking about starting to unveil it today, but it's Super Bowl Sunday, so I'm not sure if all of our eager posters will be able to participate as we go. I need your opinion on this- should I start?

Because I am stuck in the office during the Super Bowl (this week I am finishing up the last week of a month-long trial), and because I will be in Court all day tomorrow (see above), I vote for now. But recognizing that mostly everyone else will be either (1) asleep (because they live in the Eastern Hemisphere where the don't watch the game), or (2) watching the Super Bowl (because they live in the United States and haven't sold their soul to a corporate law firm like I have), you should probably wait.

By the way, whenever you do start it, start a new thread because it's annoying that this one has bumped to two pages.

I live in Norway, and couldn't care less about the Super Bowl. I don't sleep either, it's not midnight yet, and I haven't got work tomorrow. Start now.

About Superbowl.. I've heard it is the most watched television show in the world, but that's unbelievable to me. I have never met a single person, except a couple of Americans, who even cared about the sport.

There's no way that the most watched event is not the World Cup Final. Maybe they're talking about yearly event. But even that must lose out to the Champions League Final in recent years.

1 2 3