Go to the NEW FORUM
50 Cent at 14? Are they serious? Britney's "Piece of Me" (one of the worst on the album) at 15?
1. Jay-Z - Roc Boys
2. Randy Newman - A Few Words in Defense of Our Country
3. Rihanna - Umbrella
4. Justice - D.A.N.C.E.
5. Bright Eyes - Four Winds
6. Lil Wayne - Dough Is What I Got
7. Amy Winehouse - Rehab
8. Bruce Springsteen - Long Walk Home
9. M.I.A. - Boys
10. UGK - Int'l Player's Anthem
11. Kanye West - Stronger
12. John Fogerty - Gunslinger
13. Of Montreal - The Past Is a Grotesque Animal
14. 50 Cent - I Get Money
15. Britney Spears - Piece of Me
16. Spoon - You Got Yr Cherry Bomb
17. Radiohead - Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
18. The White Stripes - Icky Thump
19. Feist - 1234
20. LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
21. Soulja Boy - Crank That
22. Arcade Fire - Keep the Car Running
23. Alicia Keys - Teenage Love Affair
24. Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around.../...Comes Around Interlude
25. My Chemical Romance - Teenagers
26. R. Kelly and Usher - Same Girl
27. Rilo Kiley - Silver Lining
28. Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
29. Common - The People
30. Lily Allen - LDN
31. Akon - Don't Matter
32. PJ Harvey - When Under Ether
33. Kevin Drew - Backed Out on the...
34. Lucinda Williams - Are You Alright
35. Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend
36. 1990s - Situation
37. Rich Boy - Throw Some D's
38. Kid Rock - So Hott
39. Prince - Guitar
40. Dr. Dog - Old News
41. Mary J. Blige - Just Fine
42. Fall Out Boy - This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race
43. CRS - Us Placers
44. Linkin Park - Bleed It Out
45. Ryan Adams - Halloweenhead
46. Anthony Hamilton - Do You Feel Me
47. Foo Fighters - The Prentender
48. Chris Brown feat. T-Pain - Kiss Kiss
49. Maroon 5 - Makes Me Wonder
50. Wu-Tang Clan - The Heart Gently Weeps
51. Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Killing The Blues
52. John Doe - Pressing On
53. The Cool Kids - Black Mags
54. Fountains of Wayne - I-95
55. KT Tunstall - Hold On
56. Lil Mama - Lip Gloss
57. Cribs - Men's Need
58. The Go! Team - Grip Like a Vice
59. Keyshia Cole - Let It Go
60. Queens of the Stone Age - Make It Witchu
61. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Down Boy
62. Velvet Revolver - The Last Fight
63. T-Pain - Buy U a Drank
64. Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position
65. Against Me! - White People for Peace
66. T.I. - Big Shit Poppin'
67. Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
68. Eve - Tambourine
69. Devandra Banhart - Seahorse
70. J. Holiday - Bed
71. Wilco - Impossible Germany
72. Los Campesinos! - You! Me! Dancing!
73. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights
74. Panda Bear - Comfy in Nautica
75. The Shins - Phantom Limb
76. Young Jeezy - Go Getta
77. The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger
78. Charlotte Gainsbourgh - The Songs That We Sing
79. New Pornographers - Myriad Harbor
80. Mark Ronson - Stop Me
81. Okkervil River - Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe
82. Gogol Bordello - Ultimate
83. Dropkick Murphys - The State of Massachusetts
84. Dan Deacon - The Crystal Cat
85. Swizz Beatz - It's Me, Bitches
86. Iron and Wine - Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car
87. Modest Mouse - Dashboard
88. Datarock - Computer Camp Love
89. Herman Dune - I Wish That I Could See You Soon
90. Black Francis - Treshold Apprehension
91. Liars - Freak Out
92. The National - Mistaken For Strangers
93. Band of Hroses - Is There a Ghost
94. Kylie Minogue - 2 Hearts
95. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Satan Said Dance
96. Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry
97. Grinderman - Honey Bee (Let's Fly to Mars)
98. Blitzen Trapper - Wild Mountain Nation
99. Kelly Clarkson - Never Again
100. Nickelback - Rockstar
Yeah, Piece of Me was definitely the worst song on that album... I'm really surprised Radar wasn't the first single. That song is awesome.
I have to say, I haven't heard half of these songs on this list. But, that's why I like year end charts because I can go back and find pop singles without having to spend the year listening to crappy top 40 stations.
Britney Spears should go hand-in-hand, no?
Notice that the album isn't faring well on year-end lists. It very well may be her best album, but stacked up against her 4 others, that ain't sayin' much. We're in an era where we have more year-end lists than ever before (compare it to pre-1990s), so an album needs these new albums need as many year-end citations to make an impact.
Why in the hell is Soulja Boy so high in the list?
I still think that album would have been more highly acclaimed if all the craziness of the past two years hadn't happened, but then this album might not have been made. Who cares. I like it for the most part, I don't need confirmation. I'm not the "Leave Britney Alone" guy!
the music press don't care about crazy lifestyle, after all. :) If the music is strong, it will say so.
Spears just isn't a very strong musical act. She phoned in the vocals for this album, any phone-sex chick could have done 'em. So, if the beats are good, kudos to the producers. (as usual, she didn't have a hand in the production collaboration or songwriting). Maybe if Cathy Dennis had contributed a couple tracks to the album, she would have had a couple great tracks. Ever hear her demo of "Toxic"? Britney added nuttin to it (unshockingly).
Totally. But the production is good. I think some critics take lifestyle into account. The ones that don't had good things to say about it.
Seriously, why is Soulja Boy anywhere in this list? It almost negates whatever credibility the list has.
I really don't get why they list only one song per artist. Really, every track LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead, Spoon, and the National released this year is better than "Rockstar," and could theoretically have been on the top 100.
I never understood that either, but it seems most (if not all) magazines and/or critics do the same. Is that some kind of unwritten rule?
I think a lot of publications try to use the song lists to acclaim radio singles. That's harder to do these days but I think that's the goal, especially with Rolling Stone and Pitchfork.
this is a good list