Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Summary of EOY lists

I have created an EOY summary in the common "meta" format in Excel.

There's also a link from the main AM page.

Re: Summary of EOY lists

Wilco nb 12 yes !

Henrik, in fall 2006 you started including in your current-year updates some info about where the '06 albums would rank on the all-time list at that point in time. Is it possible to do the same thing for this year's albums as well? I'm not even talking about actual positions, just some dividing markers (which ones would be in the AM top 500, top 1000, etc.). If that's not feasible, that's OK. Thanks as always for all your hard work.

Harold, sorry this is not possible. I will use a scoring method for this EOY summary and these results are not comparable to the matching method results for the AM top 3000.

Making EOY updates is easy, I think I'll be able to include new EOY lists within 48 hours as long as I'm connected to the web. BUT THEN there's a much bigger task to include these results with the previous years. I think I will only be able to update the site once a year in the future.

You know, updates only once a year is actually a good thing. It will make forum games like bracketology less confusing.

In a weird way, making this announcement kind of brings the site full circle - for the first couple of years of its existence, the site -was- only updated a couple of times a year (and that was when the album list stopped at 1000!). Given how exponentially the databases have grown, not to mention how exponentially your own life has grown, it makes sense to cut back on the updates.

The most recent update gives a nice, rich snapshot of the critical consensus for all albums through 2006. So, sometime next year we'll get an snapshot (with slight revisions as a result of including new all-time lists) of the consensus through 2007.

Heh, I need to find faster ways to make my lists.

The problem is weighing brevity against certainty. I need whatever method I use to be short enough to get through quickly, but fleshed out enough that I'm actually ordering based on how much I enjoy the music and not based on my biases or expectations.

I hope LCD Soundsystem can hold at number 2 over Radiohead! It would be great if it could dethrone Arcade Fire too!

It would be great if SOund of Silver ended number 1 !

Henrik, can you already have an idea of how high the 3 top albums will ranked in the AM top 3000 ?

LonesomePanda, see reply to Harold Wexler above.

The Hold Steady and Amy Winehouse rank very highly in the EOY 2007 in spite of being released in 2006. Their scores from the recent EOY-lists will probably both take them to the top five or ten of 2006 I guess or what do you think Henrik?

I have added 2006 ratings in red for Amy, Hold Steady and a few more. Their positions in the spreadsheet for 2007 should roughly reflect where they will eventually end up in the 2006 list.

ah okay, i was wondering about the red figures. great help, thanks!

is there any possibilty of a 2007 singles spreadsheet? Thanks for putting up the albums sheet!

Yes, Henrik, thanks for this album sheet and updating it almost on a daily basis!

As a first impression, there seems to be a worldwide consensus about the top 4 albums:
- M.I.A. steady on #4
- Radiohead slowly losing connection with the top 2 and doomed for #3
- The Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem both still in the race for best 2007 album.

In earlier posts, I was kind of critical about the quality of the music in 2007, but I have to admit there were quite some interesting releases this year

I wouldnt say so Dr Dre yet

IR is number one in Billboard, Filter, high on Pitchfork, its best placed in US/UK lists only slightly loosing in other world lists which I dont trust so much anyway. In the end it will be between LCD and Radiohead.

IR might not be the best album of year, I havent heard so many albums to be able to post my own list but for me its definitely better album than those of another big hiters (MIA, AF, LCD).
Its their unique songwriting aesthetics which address me so much. When I listen to most hyped song of year - All my friends, I think I prefer all 10 songs of IR to this song.

Well, I personnaly prefer Someone Great, Get Innocuous, Us V Them, All My Friends and North American Scum to any In Rainbows song ^^

OK, thomas, maybe Radiohead is not doomed yet

BTW, to clarify, with "worldwide consensus" I meant, these 4 albums are in top 10 in US, UK and rest of the world.

From the 4 albums, IR is also my favorite and will surely show up in my Pazz&Jop EOY list.

"...other world lists which I dont trust so much anyway"
That is one weird comment, especially from someone from the Czech Republic!

My opinion is that the EOY lists are too similar. If Arcade Fire, LCD, Radiohead and M.I.A. are all in the top 10, I immediately question whether this source have actually listed their own favourites. Hey, I'm the one who's supposed to do the summary of all critics around the world, not the individual magazines!

Anyway, would anyone be interested in a poll to decide which critic source presented the best EOY list?

Sorry thomas for arguing with you in what I think is your first post. A warm welcome to AM forum!

Henrik thanks!

I was reading this site for about 1 year, but never commented b/c I m not confident in my music knowledge and language skill but its always fun to read about music from this site perspective.

And my remark about lists from non english speaking countries wasnt of course thought as a critic of your marvellous job here! Its good to see all lists added and everyone can choose his way how to read them. BTW I trust our local lists at least - weird lists indeed.

If you're interested in a "different" list, check out Boomkat. Sooooooooo many artists I've never heard, which is a shame because as far as I can tell Boomkat's taste is awesome.

This makes me wonder how many records are actually released per year?

Whoa, that ís different. Still, from what I know it seems alright.

Here's another list that is quite "different". http://www.alarmpress.com/1803/music-interview/alarms-top-ten-albums-of-2007/

I guess it could be included?

Another one from a magazine "where nobody gives a flying fuck about In Rainbows". Decibel's top 40:

http://decibelmagazine.com/features/jan2008/top40.aspx

is there any possibilty of a 2007 singles spreadsheet?

I have no time to do that as well right now, but surely a song spreadsheet will be up later.

alright, cool