Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2007/08 AM Forum Top 100 Albums Poll

It's a pity - there were a few albums which I got over the Christmas period which were too late to make the list but certainly would have otherwise - Television - Marquee Moon(bloody awesome) and The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society

Midaso - if you'd like to tweak your list to accommodate new additions, I'm more than willing to facilitate that.

Just as long as you don't change... let me see here.... #2, 8, 11, 21, 22, 25, and 32. Those must remain in their positions, or be ranked higher. Either one.

(Just keeding.)

I sent mine just now. I decided not to do as many comments as I wanted to.

I have two eligibility questions.

1) Jimi Hendrix - Cry of Love/War Heroes

The question I have here isn't whether a collection of the singles he was working on when he died should count, but rather *which* collection counts as the definitive one.

2) Bob Dylan - Basement Tapes

Bob Dylan recorded this in 1967 to show to his friends. It was heavily bootlegged and got an official release in 1975, but a good cherry pick of the bootlegs is far superior to the released version. So I would think you should be able to count the bootlegged version.

Anthony, did you get my second email?

I just recently sent mine and decided not to do any comments on this one. Although some would have been interesting to do some comments on.

BillAdama - sure.

John - yup.

Rendle - comments aren't a requirement, but they're always welcome.

The way I look at it is this: a poll such as this is not just a fun little exercise in music nerdery, but it's also a great tool for discovering music, and I think the comments are a huge benefit in that regard. Perhaps there's an album out there that you've been meaning to check out for a while; seeing it rank on a list may spark your interest, but a well written comment might motivate someone to actually drive to the nearest record store, or jump on iTunes and buy it, or put it on hold at the local library.

Maybe I'm just an idealist, but I'd like to think that after this poll is over, someone here will have a new favorite record because of someone's comments.

You're right, Anthony but writing comments takes a hell of a time
I did that yesterday, it took my whole working day (boss out)

Well, God bless Nicolas' boss :-)

I enormously enjoyed reading people's comments in the recent 90'es polls, bu it IS a lot of work. My compromise was to supply comments for my 10 highest ranking albums + a handful others that I felt I had something to say about.

Anthony,

I'm going to send you a new list. Same albums. Same order. But with a few comments.

I just e-mailed my list. This was -very- difficult -- not so much choosing the albums, as sequencing them. Essentially, the order of my top 25 is pretty much set in stone, but beyond that specific placements beyond their general range could all change on any given day. A valuable exercise, though, and I eagerly await the results. Thanks for taking the initiative on this, Anthony, and a happy new year to everyone here!

I've just sent my list : 100 great albums, all killer !

Anthony, you'll have mine tomorrow by 4 PM

french time of course, so it'll be 8 AM in Edmonton

Since I'm one of four people in the world without a real version of Excel, I shared the file with you as a google doc spreadsheet. Every album is awesome.

My list is done and sent. It's a bit of a rush job what with the new baby!

Hope I've still got time -- I should have this in within a few hours.

a little delay : I'm listening to a great great record I had forgotten. Might be included ion the top 100..
and it's from last year

My list is sent
Next : friends (in the flesh), lobster, champagne

Well kids, December 31st is upon us (already), which means that the deadline for submission is mere hours away (by my clock, there’s a little less than 12 hours to get your list in.) I’m not sure if there’s anyone left out there who has yet to send their list – I’ve heard from everybody that I expected to hear from.

Nicolas’ list represents the 40th list received. Besides being pleasantly surprised by the turnout, I’m also feeling a bit overwhelmed (but in the best way possible) by the mountain of data, figures and comments, and so please allow a couple days (or three, maybe four) for the results to be computed by my trusty C64 – which may need a floppy drive replacement after all’s said and done.

Sent with nine hours to spare. Not nearly as exciting as diffusing a bomb in a James Bond movie.

Midaso- If you liked Marquee Moon you should listen to Gang of Four's "Entertainment!" next if you haven't already. Everybody I've suggested that too after they mentioned Marquee Moon has loved it.

I've just sent my list! Hope that you have received, Anthony...

C'mon Anthony, if you upgraded to a C128 we could have our lists sooner!

Well said, Anthony (on the reply to me)! How about I do my comments on each album after you reveal them?

I was hoping I'd get to work today and Anthony would surprise me with the top 100 to take the pain away from working on New Years! Oh well..

Sorry, John.

For anyone else who's biting their nails in anticipation of the poll results, you can relax for a while - the results are still a few days away. Reasons?

1. Still waiting to hear back from a few people regarding errors in their list (and other minutiae.)
2. I'm working on a presentation for the top 100 (which, I might add, looks pretty nice.)

I'm aiming for this Friday (or Saturday.)

Sounds good. I was just kidding around, I wasn't really expecting you to be done!

Thanks John,I've been looking around for that GOF album for a while - I'll be sure to get it within the next 6 months...

I'll be happy to do comments on any of my albums that end up on the final list, if you just let me know in advance which ones are those.

1 2