Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Assessing the EOY Top 50 lists so far... (12/3)

I've started keeping a running tally of 2007 end-of-year top 50 lists, using the standard reverse-points system (#1=50 pts, etc.). There have been six posted here so far: Q, HARP, UNCUT, STYLUS, PASTE and Amazon.com. (The latter two are top 100 lists, but I only looked at the top 50.) Based on this unscientific sampling, here are the top 25 albums right now:

1. Radiohead, IN RAINBOWS
2. The Arcade Fire, NEON BIBLE
3. LCD Soundsystem, SOUND OF SILVER
4. M.I.A., KALA
5. The National, BOXER
6. Spoon, GA GA GA GA GA
7. The White Stripes, ICKY THUMP
8. Bruce Springsteen, MAGIC
9. Feist, THE REMINDER
10. Wilco, SKY BLUE SKY
11. Iron & Wine, SHEPHERD'S DOG
12. The Shins, WINCING THE NIGHT AWAY
13. Kings of Leon, BECAUSE OF THE TIMES
14. Kanye West, GRADUATION
15. Panda Bear, PERSON PITCH
16. Rilo Kiley, UNDER THE BLACKLIGHT
17. Ryan Adams, EASY TIGER
18. Bjork, VOLTA
19. Band of Horses, CEASE TO BEGIN
20. THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN
21. PJ Harvey, WHITE CHALK
22. Bright Eyes, CASSADAGA
23. Neil Young, CHROME DREAMS II
24. Arctic Monkeys, FAVOURITE WORST NIGHTMARE
25. GRINDERMAN

All appear on at least three of the six top 50 lists with the exception of #24, which is only on two but is #2 and #3 on those. Other artists with albums appearing on three or more lists: Rufus Wainwright, Modest Mouse, Of Montreal, Battles, Bill Callahan, Justice. Biggest disconnect: Okkervil River is #1 on the HARP list but appears on -none- of the others.

Re: Assessing the EOY Top 50 lists so far... (12/3)

Interesting list, although I don't see the appeal of the Radiohead album that much. Good job Harold.

Re: Assessing the EOY Top 50 lists so far... (12/3)

No surprises there. Critics seem to generally have it sorta-right so far, like usual.

I will say though, Under The Blacklight is the most-inferior-to-previous-release album of the decade.

That album has mostly mediocre songs, a handful of good ones, and a handful of really terrible ones.