Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back to Black

What position do you think it will shoot up to when all the year end list are done? I could see it at #2 behind TV on the Radio.

Re: Back to Black

Tim, considering that BACK TO BLACK was released everywhere outside of N. America in 2006 and isn't even in the top 3000 right now, it's highly, deeply, monumentally unlikely that its appearances on U.S. 2007 lists would be enough to move it into the top 1000, let alone #2 for '06. Especially since it's already missed a couple of early lists. The album will almost certainly be -included- on Henrik's next update, but don't expect it to end up ranking that high unless it gets a LOT of top 10 mentions. Which is certainly possible. I'm sure ROLLING STONE and BLENDER will have it on their lists.

Actually, the 2006 release most likely to move up is probably BOYS AND GIRLS IN AMERICA, which wasn't released in the U.K. until this year and is doing quite well on the British EOY lists.

What is the point of different release dates? Is it a touring thing? It seems that the web would have made overseas releases obsolete.

Usually it's a legal thing. Bands need a different record deal for every market, and depending on how much that localized label cares about the band (or thinks their market will care about the band) the release could get shoved back months and months. This is what often happens to Canadian releases in the US because US labels assume that Americans aren't interested in Canadian music. It's no different if the band signs with one label for all territories because the divisions within those labels act fairly autonomously regardless of the fact that they're under the same banner.

Well I'm fine with the Hold Steady going up for 2006 because it's already ranked at #13. If it scored below Belle and Sebastian (#16) and rose up the charts I'd be furious because #16 is pretty dismal for an album like the Life Pursuit so for it to drop to #17 would be a crime. Artic Monkeys, Joanna Newsome and Gnarles Barkley seem to be getting a tremendous amount of backlash so I don't see any of the three holding their positions for too long. People always pick Winehouse over Lily Allen who is also getting tons of backlash and since Lily Allen is #19 I could at least see Winehouse shooting up to #17 behind Belle and Sebastian LOL! So I think she has potential scoring pretty high for 2006 the way the Go! Team did when they released their record on import in 04 but made many top 20 lists in 05.

Re: the Winehouse/Allen comparison - ALRIGHT, STILL wasn't released Stateside until this year, either. And it's -already- ranked pretty high on AM. Add its 2007 ratings and it'll move up even further.

In any case, Tim, regardless of any "backlash" being suffered by last year's albums, their rankings on Acclaimed Music won't really be affected until new editions of CD guides and all-time lists that include albums through last year start being compiled.

It's already #5 for THIS year. Add all the great reviews from 06 and it looks like she could very well end up dethrowning TV on the Radio

Does anyone else think it's getting way too much acclaim? It's just a throwback album. It's good, but it's not that good.

Pretty Good...

better than anything we're seeing from most other females out there. Yeah, her lifestyle is a hotmess, but at least she's doing some pretty great music (unlike another hotmess of a female).

Back to Black is a pretty good album. But it is not as good as other 2006 British female releases that are appearing on 2007 EOY Lists. Bat For Lashes and Lily Allen's albums from last year are far superior.

She just living the life of a rock star. I hate when people link her to Lindsay or Britney because she's in a whole other league. She's living the lifestyle of a many soul singers from the 60s when it was all about sex, drugs and rock & roll.

I can say that she's talented, but I could be perfectly happy having never heard her music... her throwback style seems like a gimmick to me.

I like gimmick bands. Art Brut and the Pipettes have done well for themselves.

Well, it's funny but I heard her for the first time yesterday
At first I told myself "this is a gimmick, looks like a 1965 record" but then I had to admit it's a beautiful album;
For those who are obsessed my modernity and can't simply appreciate a piece of music, it might be a problem
But I don't give a fuck it's a good promising album (I only heard 4 tracks though
Don't give a damn either about her lifestyle. This is for tabloids.
That was the amazing thing : all I had seen from her were those pictures from tabloids and her private life, and then I heard her records and it's such a contrast..
If her ranking should suffer from a release that straddles 2 years, then it means the rules have tobe changed. But I know Henrik is smaart and he knows how to deal with that

I've liked her now that she's ditched that douche bag Perez Hilton who had the nerve to say he was the first person to ever play her. That's pure bullocks

It don't understand why everybody is so fascinated by Amy Winehouse. I think she's hugely overated.
If I want some real good soul music, I prefer listening to Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings.

It's because she's tiny and british and you don't expect someone who looks like her to sing like that.

With all the American acolades it's getting now, I can see it breaching top 20, maybe.

People are fascinated by Amy Winehouse because Americans are addicted to celebrity scandal.

It doesn't matter how little the story in the news has to do with the actual facts of the story. It doesn't matter how little the celebrity's personal life has to do with your own life. We want human trainwrecks and we want MORE!

That aside, her album is rather good. It'll definitely be in my top twenty.

It is already bubbling under for 2006 based on a somewhat limited release. When you add in the lists from 2007, I am sure it will place high overall. I am guessing it will all count as a 2006 release, though.

I'm not sure the CD does anything brand new, but the combination of the old-school production with her modern, honest lyrics makes it an innovative combination. What else out there sounds like it?

I'd rather see a trainwreck like her on my TV with the talent she pocesses than some skanky socialite who isn't good enough to shine Amy's shoes. Besides we've seen this before with Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, Shaun Ryder, Sid and Nancy, Courtney Love, John Lennon, the Beach Boys, Keith Richards, the Who, Janis Joplin, Grace Slick, Sly Stone, Rick James, Marvin Gaye etc... a lot of rock and soul singers,rappers, etertainers hit rock bottom. It's sad to see but if they get themselves together and continue to put out good music it's a tryumph. I hope that's the case with Mrs. Winehouse.