Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anti-Beatles what is the reason?

I play music and I never understood why some people have this hate or jealosy in my opinion over the Beatles. They started the British Invasion, in my opinion and others Tomorrow Never Knows good or bad
started the modern concept of one chord and repetitive drum beat or tape loop songs now based on computers of course. In fact its all over the charts. Really I don't want to go further they are pages of what the Beatles did I can do.

Re: Anti-Beatles what is the reason?

I just don't like their sound. The earlier records are ok, but nothing too stunning. I love a few songs like Penny Lane and Eleanor Rigby but most of their psychedelic crap is utterly lost on me.

Saying they started the British invasion, started modern rock, started psychedelia doesn't mean much to me. Cavemen started making music by banging sticks on stones, do we pay homage to them? Nope.

We would if we knew who the caveman who started it all was.

You think so? I doubt it. I honestly don't care about what people do besides the music they make. Michael Jackson can be convicted for 20 accounts of pedophilia, it won't make me enjoy his music any less. The Beatles could have invented music itself, if I don't like the sound, I don't like them. (Note, this is hypothetical)

There's a difference between hating and disliking though. Like I've said before, there's not a single artist I hate, but there's quite a few I dislike. I don't dislike the Beatles at all though, I just think they're quite overrated. However, I do have the utmost respect and admiration for the innovation they brought to music and their continuing influence on music today. But again, there's a difference between innovation and enjoyment.

The Beatles' resume is miles longer than any other group, in terms of what they did, what they achieved, and what they continue to do.

If they're overrated, I guess every other band would have to be too. We might as well just throw that term right out the window.

With chances of repeating myself..

It's an opinion Anthony. I realize there's a lot of people that disagree, and I'm absolutely fine with that. It's great even, because of some of your (and others) persuasion I've discovered some great songs, also by The Beatles. Maybe overrated is the wrong word, but in my opinion the Beatles are not quite as enjoyable as say.. The Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan.

Again, I realize they're (very) probably the most influential band there will ever be, and I admire their craftsmanship, innovation, everything they did for music and all the bands that exist now because of them. BUT, the difference for me lies in enjoyment and being innovative. I simply don't appreciate the music the Beatles made as much as their innovation, which is a reason for me to say that, again, in my opinion they're not the greatest band ever.

I don't think they started Psychedelic rock, though there are traces of it on Rubber Soul. Just some of comments on the Beatles are a bit harsh.

I'm maybe guilty of being a little too harsh, sorry about that. But I get a little ticked when people keeping saying things like "The Beatles are great because they started a and influenced b".

By the way, there's quite a few artists to go in the AM Survivor before I get to The Beatles, don't worry.

I can't stand the music or their personalities. It's as simple as that.

As for being overrated, it certainly is possible. The Beatles are given virtually unanimous praise and anointed the greatest act ever by just about everyone. How is it possible that they aren't overrated? Nobody can live up to that billing.

I always though if the Beatles are overrated what does that make Led Zeppelin their influence is in hard rock or alternative rock. What does that make Elvis he had to make a comeback concert in part of the Beatles. What does make Dylan the Beatles songs are covered even by jazz musicians. I agree the Beatles are overrated if want compare other artists instrumentally. The Beatles from what I know were more about the sound, songwriting and infusing outside elements into rock music. With Dylan's influence they did these all these things at once. I don't hear from anybody especially in this day of music even coming close to this.

Do we really need to have another thread/conversation about why Moonbeam and Neoptolemos don't like the Beatles? I think they've explained themselves quite clearly over the past month. Leave the poor guys alone. Not their fault that they can't tell good music if it hit them in the face. Totally kidding.

I totally agree with Neo,of course I respect them and they'll have songs and albums in my top 100 but overall I don't think they're the best band ever - but this is probably just because of techonological advances,better production - songwriting definitely improved lyrically after the Beatles. But for sure there's bands who created better sounds...

I never understood it dude. I wonder what song produced in the sixties sounds better than Because, or Eleanor Rigby. Only the Beach Boys are comparable in this regard. Then they are some people who think Velvet Underground European Son is a masterpiece.

I guess I'm one of those people- I'll take "European Son" over any Beatles song, every day.

Moonbeam, Mate you need to get your ears checked.

HaHa...

Now, now, play nice. :)

I am not a HUGE BEatles fan, but I acknowledge and respect their importance, and enjoy something like the 1 album very much. Just like some non-huge fans of Elvis may enjoy 30 #1 Hits, a non-huge Madonna fan may love The Immaculate Collection, a non-huge Michael Jackson fan might love one of his better compilations.

I'm like that with Bob Dylan myself- I have two of his compilations, but he's not the type I'm really into- but that doesn't mean I don't know how revered and admired and influential he is.

I've been avoiding this discussion for a while, but I think reaction to Beatles canonization is an interesting topic.

I can't speak for anyone else, but after nursery rhymes, the Beatles started the beginning of my conception of music being created by an artist with a consistent identity and image. The combination of perfectly singable melodies, novelty lyrics, and of course very early exposure to the divine Yellow Submarine movie makes the Beatles more than just a band to me, but the fundamental musical memory of my early childhood years (well that, and the movie Blues Brothers, another story).

I am guessing that for a lot of Beatles fanatics, it isn't just they're the ultimate band, but they might have these early memories as well. It's almost as if you criticize the Beatles, then you're criticizing something essential to our growth. It's like my lack of conception of anyone who doesn't enjoy the Simpsons at some level, or at least the first 9 seasons or so. There are people like that who exist in the world, but I can't understand humor without Simpsons so it's hard to understand them.

That being said, I only have Revolver, White Album, and Sgt. Pepper's. The rest of their songs I just hear now and then, and I really am not that interested in listening to them regularly. This respect for their influence but disliking of their sound is understandable as long as that line is clearly drawn.

That being said, just like classical composers are now respected but also not considered 'popular' with some time and distance the Beatles could have that status. Some are just already ahead of the march of history and are just not making the Beatles part of their cherished realm of sounds. Nothing wrong with that, but hopefully they understand the vicious reactions when they not just act indiffernt towards the Beatles and actively criticize them.

If people start cricizing Baa Baa Black Sheep or Row Row Row Your Boat, that's when I'll pull no punches.

funny thing for me is... they did a hell of a job to create songs that would even outlast the oldest suns and stars and proteines and cockroaches... but they simply didn't manage to create one single decent album in their time... Revolver is quite a charming but helplessly incoherent and inane gesture of what the real Mary-Jane-Or-Leary-Wave had done to those Fabs, and Sgt. Pepper is still the artist-or-die effort of the "Hey Look It's all Pre-ILM!"-George-Martin-era. While The White Album sprawls the More-Songs-Than-This-Record-Needs-Momentum of overrushed retro-revisionism and Desmond-Dekker-Turds. I simply don't know, but for me the Beatles were and are not an LongPlay institution... so, somehow, and that means yes, they ARE overrated.

for if they weren't that immensely groundbreaking, too...

It would be a bit of a disappointment if this was to be repeated:

10. THE STONE ROSES "The Stone Roses"
9. DAVID BOWIE "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars"
8. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND "The Velvet Underground and Nico"
7. THE BEATLES "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
6. THE SMITHS "The Queen Is Dead"
5. THE BEATLES "Abbey Road"
4. THE BEATLES "The Beatles"
3. THE BEACH BOYS "Pet Sounds"
2. THE BEATLES "Revolver"
1. RADIOHEAD "OK Computer"

Please,please,please not FOUR in the top 10

"Mary-Jane-Or-Leary-Wave"... lol..

Taylor, your reaction is typical of the stereotypical Beatles bully. What do you feel the need to criticize someone for their opinion?

These discussions about artists being overrated oder underrated seem useless to me. Every person has a different music taste, and that's just fine.

I've been following this AM site for about 4 or 5 years now. The lists are useful to find out which albums, songs and artists might be interested to go after.

Recently I also joined this forum, because it is interesting to exchange ideas and opinions about albums, songs and artists to get a better and broader picture of all the music material that is out there. I care less which artist is 'better' or 'worse', or rightfully acclaimed or not.

Furthermore it is nice to participate in games like Bracketology and Survivor and also to participate in several (year) polls. That's fun!

On the one hand you're definitely and absolutely right, DrDre, but on the other... well, just notice Midaso's post up there and think again. consider. and especially: MEASURE again.

So Midaso needs to think again because his opinion doesn't align with yours?

Disagree.

If somebody wants to put 4 or 5 albums of one artist in his/her top 10, like e.g. Nana Mouskouri, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, or anybody else, I would respect that.
Some or a lot of people might be disappoint then, but still, it's his/her choice.

Disagree with Stevie B and Midaso, that is.

Bedtime here (2.30 a.m.). Good night.

It's a simple and common agenda setting phenomenon... in this case: Beatles records HAVE to be big because everybody mentions them... don't pretend to be uninfluenceable, (AM_)Follies...

Well, now and then a new thread trying to dismiss the importance of The Beatles (or Dylan too) appears on AM forum. And I suppose that in many other forums too. But in the end when someone count the votes there’s four or five albums by The Beatles on every Top Ten (as in ours as Midaso noticed). I don’t know if The Beatles were the best band ever but they are the band with more degree of CONSENSUS among critics and music aficionados (being objective).
My opinion is (and will be) favourable to The Fab Four. Neoptolemos doesn’t find its music enjoyable (and of course I respect his opinion) but I can’t think of a music so instantly enjoyable while having some degree of deepness and complexity. Well, being honest I can really think of more music with that gift, Brian Wilson’s for instance. Particularly McCartney (as Brian Wilson, Stevie Wonder or Burt Bacharach) could handle complex harmonic and melodic figures in a so easily and smooth way that it could seem simple and easy to replicate. But go and try to replicate it.
Their unparalleled degree of artistically and commercially success is partially explainable because during the sixties they were the rival to beat (like Real Madrid Spanish football team, I don’t like the “soccer” word). Everyone were trying to compete against The Beatles, and while they felt the pressure of wining Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones in its own terms and simultaneously (not to mention the rivalry between Lennon and MccCartney) they achieved great heights.
The Beatles are overrated? Well, quoting Harold Wexler but contrary, SH2B1. Someone has to be first.

The Beatles are the greatest influence on rock-pop music period. Roger McGuinn he thinks the Beatles invented folk rock

The Beatles had exploded onto the American charts. Captivated by their skiffle beat, mellifluous chord progressions, and infectious melodies, he instinctively knew that melding those distinguishing characteristics with his own tried-and-true folk sensibilities and training would yield a pretty unique sound.

"When the Beatles had come out, the folk boom had already peaked," McGuinn notes. "The people who had been into it were getting kind of burned out. It just wasn't very gratifying, and it had become so commercial that it had lost its meaning for a lot of people. So the Beatles kind of re-energized it for me. I thought it was natural to put the Beatles' beat and the energy of the Beatles into folk music. And in fact, I heard folk chord changes in the Beatles' music when I listened to their early stuff like 'She Loves You' and 'I Want To Hold Your Hand.' I could hear the passing chords that we always use in folk music: the G-Em-Am-B kind of stuff. So I really think the Beatles invented folk-rock. They just didn't know it."

The Beatles rock, and are the most historically important rock band of all time.

Just...not the best of all time.

THe reasons are total ignorance thats why,and thank G*d they are in the minority!

Even, Ozzy Osbourne said in an online 2002 Bender Magazine interview that The Beatles Are The Greatest Band To Ever Walk The Earth! He's been a huge fan since he's been a teenager and he says not loving The Beatles is like not loving oxogen! The Rolling Stones were very good friends and fans of The Beatles and Mick Jagger was at 4 Beatles recording sessions and Keith Richards was at 2 of them with them! Also,The Beatles even wrote one of The Rolling Stones first hits with the song, I Wanna Be You're Man in late 1963.

And The Beatles Were *NEVER* a boy band at all not even in their 1963,1964,1965 and 1966 period. The Beatles started out playing 8 hours a night for two years in a row in the sleazy strip clubs of Hamburg Germany wearing tight black leather jackets and pants ,smoking,drinking,cursing and taking speed pills to stay awake and going to bed with a lot of young women groupies. There were a lot of rough German thugs that came into those clubs and if The Beatles didn't play good live they would have beaten the crap out of them playing for 8 hours a night for two years,instead they became the most successful and popular group in Hamburg even with a lot of competition from other German and English groups playing in those clubs. The Beatles cleaned up image was a totally fake image created by their manager Brian Epstein which John hated and resented the most.And The Beatles also played successfully at The Cavern Club in Liverpool for several years before their manager Brian Epstein discovered them. too.

As for the other inaccurate comments that some people say The Beatles didn't even stay together for 2 decades,well they didn't have to because they did about 50 years worth of innovative,creative,diverse,prolific great critically acclaimed popular songs and albums in just a remarkable 8 year recording career! The Beatles are in The Song Writing Hall Of Fame & The Vocal Hall of Fame,and As The All Music Guide says in their excellent Beatles biography,"So much has been said and written about The Beatles and their story is so mythic in it's sweep that it's difficult to summarize their career without restating cliche's that have already been digested by tens of millions of rock fans ,to start with the obvious,they were the greatest and most influential act of the rock era ,and introduced more innovations into popular music than any other rock band of the 20th century." "As vovalists John Lennon & Paul McCartney were among the best and most expressive in rock and the groups harmonies were intricate and exhillirating."

And music critics as well as brilliant classical composer Leonard Bernstein called John & Paul the most brilliant song writers of the 20th century when they were still a band . As for The Beatles playing live,they sounded pretty good playing live considering that when they were playing in 1963,1964,1965,and 1966 the sound systems back then were very limited and primitive,they only had 100 watt amplifiers,no feedback monitors so they couldn't even hear themselves play and sing,yet they amazingly played in tune and in sync anyway,and at the August 1965 Shea Stadium concert which was the first big outdoor rock concert with over 55,000 fans,they were plugged into the PA system that they announce baseball games with plus the screaming crowds drowing out their great music! Can you imagine The Rolling Stones and The Who playing on these very limited primitive sound systems? They wouldn't have sounded much better! Thats why they gave up touring,because they were serious music artists,composers,and musicians and they wanted their great music to be heard and valued. It would be like Beethoven playing on these limited primitive sound systems and screaming crowds! Also they were now writing music that was too complex to reproduce on stage at that time. I also forgot to mention two more great Beatles rockers, Paul's Get Back and John Lennon's great 1968 rocker Hey Bull Dog.

On the roof top concert in The Let It Be Film,they sounded great,because by January 1969 the sound systems had improved somewhat(although not anywhere near the 1970's,1980's,1990's and especially today's!) and they had changed and people had changed so there were no more screaming crowds so they could be heard.When I was a teenager I met 3 people who saw The Beatles in concert two of them were teachers who saw them in 1966 and he and she told me they were great,and my cousin saw them at age 16 at The Baltimore Colsieum in 1964 the year before I was born,and she said they were great. Former Kiss guitarist and grammy winning producer Bob Kulick who made the heavy metal Beatles tribute album Butchering The Beatles last year,says in an online interview,that he saw The Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1966 and that he could only make out pieces of the songs because of the screaming,but he could make out the songs Baby's In Black and Paperback Writer and he said they sounded amazing! He also calls The Beatles The Greatest Rock Band Ever!

George Harrison at only age 14 would stay up playing his guitar until he got all of the chords exactly right and his fingers wer e bleeding! And One of The Beatles engineers Geoff Emerick says that in early 1966 when The Beatles were recording John's song I'm Only Sleeping,George Harrison played backwards guitar the most difficult way possible even though he could have taken an easy way,and it took him 6 hours just to do the guitar overdubs! He then made it doubly difficult by adding even more distorted gitars and Geoff says this was all George's idea and that he did all of the playing! Eric Clapton said in a 1992 interview when he and George were asked what they admired about each other during their Japan tour,that George is a fantastic slide guitar player. He and George were very good friends and they obviously admired and respected each others guitar playing and George played guitar on Cream's song Badge. Roger McGuinn of The Byrds says The Beatles used unusual folk rock chords in their early music and that they invented folf rock without even knowing it! He started to play a 12 string guitar after he saw and heard George Harrison playing one in The Beatles great film A Hard Day's Night in early 1964.

In an online Eric Clapton interview called,Eric Clapton In His Own Words he says that John Lennon was a pretty good guitar player and he would have known since he played live in concert with John as a member of John's 1969 Plastic Ono Band! On an excellent site called,The Evolution Of Rock Bass Playing McCartney Style by Dennis Alstrand Stanley Clarke,Will Lee,Billy Sheehan,Sting,George Martin,and John Lennon are all quoted saying what a great,melodic,influential bass guitar player Paul McCartney has always been! The 1992 Rolling Stone Album Guide calls Paul a remarkable bass player and rightfully calls John & Paul the 2 greatest song writers in rock history! Both Phil Collins and Max Weinberg both Beatles fans and both praise Ringo's drumming and Phil Collins says that Ringo's great drumming on A Day In The Life can't even be repeated even by him!

Also on Rankopedia The Beatles are # 1 Greatest Rock Band,# 1 Greatest Most Innovative Rock Band,John & Paul are # 1 Greatest Rock Song Writers,John &Paul are on The Greatest Rock Male Vocalist list,and Paul McCartney is # 2 after John Enwistle as Greatest Rock Bass Players,John Paul Jones is # 6,and Bill Wynman is # 20! And on Digitaldreamdoor where many musicians post,The Beatles are # 1 Greatest Rock Artists,John &Paul are # 1 Greatest Rock Song Writers,they are both on The Greatest Rock Male Vocalists list,and Paul McCartney is # 8 out of 100 Greatest Rock Bass Players,John Paul Jones is # 21,and Bill Wynman is # 95! George Harrison is # 54 On The Greatest Rock Guitarists out of over 100.

And there are many music professors teaching music courses at good universities on the brilliance of The Beatles especially of John &Paul,including by award winning music professor and composer Dr.Glen Gass,who has been teaching a course on The Beatles and rock music at Indiana University since 1982. On his web site for his course it says the main purpose of this course is to get students to have a better appreciation of this extraordinary group and their remarkable recordings. Dr.Gary Kendal's Beatles course is the most requested course at North Western University. And a music professor by the last name of Heinonen teaches a Beatles course at JYVASKYLA University in Finland,and the university of California also teaches a Beatles course etc.

Also check out Ken's Classic Rock n Roll Site he also runs a Rolling Stones & John Lennon fan site. And he made a Top 10 List and voted and the fans voted. He voted John &Paul # 2 after Bob Dylan as Greatest Rock Song Writers,the fans voted them # 1! He voted Paul McCartney # 2 after John Entwistle as Greatest Rock Bass Player,the fans voted Paul # 3. He voted John Lennon # 2 after Keith Richards as Greatest Rock Rhythm Guitarist,and the fans voted John in a tie with Jimi Hendrix and Brian Jones at # 4 ! He voted John Lennon # 1 in a tie with Elvis as Greatest Male Rock Vocalist and the fans voted John # 1,he voted Paul # 6 and the fans voted him # 7. Ken says Darn The Beatles were one great group in his review of The Beatles album 1967-1970,and he also says that John on Get Back showed why he should have played lead guitar more often because he did such a good job! He also said that John on their hard rocking great 1968 single Revolution,played one of the first and best acid guitar parts.And he also said that John played a pretty good slide guitar on George's For Your Blue. And he says in his review of The Beatles 1962-1966,that if you don't love or at least like The Beatles and their music than you are not a true rock fan and more than likely will never get it.

And Brian Wilson said on a 1995 Nightline TV Beatles tribute show,that Sgt.Pepper is the single greatest album he ever heard,and he played With A Little Help From Friends on the piano and he said I just love this song. He also said he thinks John Lennon &Paul McCartney were the 2 greatest song writers of the 20th century! He also said when he first heard The Beatles great 1965 album Rubber Soul,that he was blown away by it,he said all of the songs flowed together and it was pop music but folk rock at the same time,and this is what he couldn't believe. He said this inspired him to make Pet Sounds. Elton John said in a 1991 CBS morning news show,when he was asked who he musically admires,he said You can talk about your Rogers & Hammerstein but for the quality of quanity songs that Lennon & McCartney did in that short period of time,they were the 2 greatest song writers of the 20th century! Most music artists want to believe and want the public to believe that *their* the greatest so when they say other music artists are the greatest it really means a lot!

The Beatles are also the most covered music artists of all time with everyone from Motown,jazz,classical,and even heavy metal music recording their great diverse music! And in 2001 VH1 had a panel of well known musicans and music critcs,that voted The Beatles The Greatest Rock Band Ever,and in 2004 Rolling Stone did the same thing and several people said on message boards that Rolling Stone had a recent pael poll like this and The Beatles were voted # 1 again and for darn great reasons too! Nobody created as much innovative,creative,quality,critically acclaimed,popular diverse songs and albums in such a short amazing period of time as The Beatles and thats why most people know that The Beatles Are The Greatest Rock Band That Ever Was Or Will Be!!!!

Oh and A Day's Night is a great pop rock album!!!! And even Bob Dylan said decades ago about The Beatles early music,that their chords were outrageous,and the harmonies were wonderful and they were doing things in music that nobody had done before,and music critics of The London Times were praising their interesting and unusual chords that they used even in early songs like She Loves You & I Want To Hold Your Hand. Which were not as simple as they seemed and had clever subtleties in them.Infact Bob Dylan said in a Rolling Stone interview this Spring that he's in awe of Paul McCartney and he said he's the only one he's in awe of. He said that Paul has the melody,he has the rhthym and he can sing the ballad very good,and he can play any instrument. He also said there were no better singers than John Lennon &Paul McCartney and he said if George wasn't stuck in the shadow behind John &Paul and he said who wouldn't get stuck,he would have emerged as a great song writer in his own right anyway.

And by the way I have read some people saying on message boards that they don't think The Rolling Stones were the best technical musicians,and many even some fans have said they haven't done anything good in 35 years, and that their overrated and I have also found many people saying they hate or don't like The Rolling Stones and many people say the only Rolling Stones song they like is Paint It Black! Oh and by the way,in every major poll of The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones,The Beatles always win as # 1 even on sites and message boards that are not Beatles fan sites!

And when we look at the solo career comparison of Mick Jagger's and Keith Richards solo careers with John,Paul &George's,the facts are John Lennon's first brilliant solo album,and his second great album Imagine are rightfully critically acclaimed, and I love John's Walls & Bridges album and Paul McCartney's first solo album McCartney is very good,and he played every instrument all by himself at age 27,and he played so many different instruments great! Wings 1975 Venus & Mars is a great rock album too! And he and Denny Laine are the only musicians on Paul's great 1973 Band On The Run album,which is critically acclaimed and popular,and he played every instrument by himself again on McCartney 2 in 1979,and most of the instruments on his 1997 Flaming Pie album,and his 2 recent acclaimed popular albums,Chaos And Creation In The Backyard,and Memory Almost Full.And John Paul Jones,David Gilmore,John Bonham &Pete Townsend all played on 2 songs with Paul and Wings on the last Wings album Back To The Egg, in 1979,and they played in the last Wings concert too in December 1979. You know I have found over 50 former Beatles haters on many message boards and web sites that are noe HUGE Beatles fans and many say they are now their favorite band and that they were the Greatest Band Ever! I didn't communicate with these people but they said in their posts that they had a lot of inaccurate misperceptions of The Beatles and they hadn't even heard most of The Beatles great songs and albums! Most people don't hate The Beatles in the first place,most people of all ages all around the world love or at least like their music,but it's really something for former haters to turn into big fans and it just goes to show how Great The Beatles music is!!!!

The Beatles were mostly a great innovative,creative,diverse prolific *ROCK* band *not* a "pop" band! John Lennon always aid he just really loved rock n roll and he and Paul wrote plenty of great rock n roll in The Beatles and in their early solo careers! It really would have been news to John that he wasn't the founder and leader of a true rock band!

The Beach Boys were a true pop band because all of their hits were that beach surfing sound. Even The early Beatles had a harder electric guitar sound than The Beach Boys and I have never heard a Beach Boys song played on classic rock stations only oldies stations, But many classic rock stations still play The Beatles! And The Beatles are rightfully categorized as a *rock* band by most rock and music critics and rock journalists,and Rock On The Net says few could argue that one of the best if not the best rock groups was The Beatles. And The Wikipedia the free online encyclopedia as well as the Websters College 2000 Dictionary defines The Beatles as a British Rock Group. And most record stores classify The Beatles correctly as the rock band they were.And a guy on the web site Votenumber1.com said of course The Beatles were a great rock group he said they were the greatest rock group ever and he said he can name about 100 great rock Beatles songs!

And I and many people understandably feel that John Lennon had the best rock voices ever! George Martin said John's voice was one of the best he ever heard,and in May 1967 when The Beatles were recording their song,Baby You're A Rich Man,two recording engineers said they were always fascinated with the sound of John Lennon's voice,and they always wanted to record it live and when they heard him singing this song live they said they couldn't believe how great his voice was and that anyone could sing that well live.

The Beatles wrote many great rock songs that were pretty rocking for the time,John's great song You Can't Do That from early 1964 which he played lead guitar on for the first time,Paul's great blues rocker,She's A Woman from late 1964,John's I Feel Fine from late 1964, with the first use of feedback guitar,and one of the first songs to have a great guitar riff,a year before The Rolling Stone's Satisfaction came out,Paul's screaming hard rocker especially for 1965,I'm Down which they played even louder and more screaming at the August 1965 Shea Stadium concert, and as The All Music Guide says I'm Down was one of The Beatles most frantic rockers,and they said they did a really wild performance of this at The Shea Stadium concert. The All Music Guide also says The Beatles showed they could rock really really hard with their early songs,John's I Feel Fine,Paul's She's A Woman,and the peerless I'm Down.

Plus Day Tripper,Paperback Writer,She Said She Said,And You're Bird Can Sing, Taxman Get Back,Hey Bulldog,all with heavy electric guitar sounds,John's 1968 hard rocking single Revolution,Yer Blues,Birthday,Back In The USSR,While My Guitar Gently Weeps,Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me & My Monkey,plus Paul's Helter Skeklter which as many people have pointed out was the first heavy metal songs,plus John's I Want You She's So Heavy on Abbey Road which many people have also pointed out was one of the first heavy metal songs,plus his great rocker Come Together,Paul's Oh Darling,You Never Give Me Your Money, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window,Polythene Pam and the hard rocking jam of Paul,George,and John on the song The End,etc!! So anyone saying THe Beatles were not a rock band You Are Wrong!!

The Rolling Stones were very good friends and fans of The Beatles and Mick Jagger was at 4 Beatles recording sessions and Keith Richards was at 2 of them with them! The Beatles even wrote one of The Rolling Stones first hits with the song,I WAnna Be You're Man in late 1963.

Mick Jagger was such a big Beatles fan that when The Beatles were recording their song,Baby You're A Rich Man in May 1967,he came there and stood on the sidelines just to watch and listen to them record it and his name was on the tape box because he likely sang at the end verses.

The Rolling Stones could also be considered a pop band since they too were very popular,had many hit songs and albums and some of their songs could be classified as pop,Ruby Tuesday,Angie,She's A Rainbow,Lady Jane,As Tears Go By,Waiting On A Friend,Emotional Rescue, their whole Sgt.Pepper rip off Their Satanic Majesties Request and they also put out many greatest hits albums.

Jonah no it is not understanbdable disliking The Beatles sound unless your deaf and dumb and thankfully most people are not! I have been a huge highly impressed Beatles fan especially a big John and Paul fan since I was 9 years old,I got my first Beatles book for my 11th birthday and I had every album by age 13,and I was born during the middle of their recording career too!

The Beatles are the # listened to music artists on Last FM. in November 2006 and June/July 2007 and December 2007 out of all the music artists from the past to nthe present! They have over 5,000 members of their fan group on Last FM.and the average age is 22! On Rate Your Music there are many 15,17 and 21 etc year olds mostly guys,who list The Beatles as one of their favorite music artists,and many list them as The Greatest Rock Band Ever! And there are also a lot of young fans on Beatles,John Lennon,Paul McCartney and George Harrison sites! They broke up i 1970 so this really says a lot!

As Ozzy Osbourne says not loving The Beatles is like not loving oxogen,and The Rolling Stone Album Guide said not liking them is as perverse as not liking the sun!

Netjade you are right they didn't create just one decent album they created so many *GREAT* Albums thats excatly why they are rightfully at # 1 on this site and Rankopedia and Digitaldreanmdoor where many musicians post!

Oh no, another incarnation of the same guy. We get it now, you like the Beatles. Get over it already, not everyone has the same taste.

No I'm not an incarnation of anyone! And the majority of the world millions of people,most rock critics and many other rock artists, hears how great The Beatles music is!Get over it! And it's a fact that John and Paul were extremely talented singer song writers and muscians,and George was really talented too as a musician and song writer

Home

The Beatles Are The Most Creative Band Of All Time

by Peter Cross

BACKGROUND HISTORY: The first musical bands originated in New Orleans among black musicians who have traditionally been the innovators. The first jazz record ever recorded was by The Original Dixieland Jazz Band in 1917, and of course they were white because racism always rears its ugly head to hold black people back. But during the Roaring 20's, young white people couldn't resist the dance beat laid down by the black jazz bands. Fletcher Henderson, a black man, became the first band leader to achieve national fame possibly because he featured Louis Armstrong on trumpet. Duke Ellington, a classicly trained musician, brought a level of style and sophistication to jazz that hadn't been seen before. But it wasn't until 1935 that jazz bands with a "swing beat" achieved national attention due to Benny Goodman who I think was the best clarinet player ever to blow air into that instrument. Benny also had the good sense and taste to bring the first great drummer, Gene Krupa, into his band.

When rock and roll exploded into human consciousness during the early 1950's, black musicians like Bo Diddley, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, and Smokey Robinson pioneered the way, but a white DJ named Alan Freed is believed to have coined the term "rock and roll". The first real rock and roll record was "Shake, Rattle and Roll", written by Jesse Stone who was black and recorded by Big Joe Turner who was also black but it wasn't a hit. The first big hit rock and roll record was "Rock Around the Clock" written by James Meyers and Max Freeman of obvious ancestry, and that one catapulted Bill Haley and his Caucasian Comets to stardom. During the 1950's and early 60's, there were countless "do wop" groups, rock groups, singers and songwriters but until The Beatles hit the charts, there had been very few bands which contained talented songwriters. The vast majority of jazz and rock bands recorded songs written by songwriters who were not performers, with occasional exceptions like Duke Ellington and Buddy Holly. As time goes on, it's increasingly clear that Lennon/McCartney songs are brilliant classics which will never be forgotten. Now here's why The Beatles are the most creative band of all time:

1. BEST EXAMPLE OF FORM = CONTENT

As I sit here writing this at the keyboard of my computer facing the unique and colorful Beatles poster in my bedroom, I'm aware that I have been directly and indirectly inspired by John Lennon's music as well as by the way he lived his life offstage. Squarely in front of me is a full color poster of all four Beatles standing in a heavenly-like flower garden at about the time of the Abbey Road album. Paul is angelic in his pink suit with a white laced shirt. John is enigmatic peering out from the background. George is charismatic staring directly into the camera from the lower right. Ringo is on the left with a stylish blue suit and his pink ruffled shirt. I always wished I could dress like those guys but obviously there's a bit of a problem with a money differential there. Surrounding this gorgeous poster which I have never seen elsewhere are my 45 speed original Beatles hit records, including I Want to Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, Please Please Me, Twist and Shout, Can't Buy Me Love, She's A Woman, Yesterday, and of course, Hey Jude. And surrounding all that is a chain of 1-1/2" long orange flicker flame lights which are the most beautiful and unique Christmas lights I've ever seen. I chose to decorate the wall directly in front of my work station this way because, as I've written elsewhere on this site several times, The Beatles were my major musical influence and having them on the wall in front of me inspires me to write web pages like this one. I was also among the millions of people who were inspired by how The Beatles were actually living their off stage lives. The Beatles' music creatively stimulated millions of people to change the way they were living, and The Beatles behavior encouraged people to have fun by trying new life style experiences. That's what I call a perfect example of FORM = CONTENT. In this case it means that the creatively and masterfully varied music The Beatles were producing (form) embodied the real life styles which each of the four Beatles were living (content), together as a band as well as separately as unique individuals.

2. BEST SONGWRITERS

This should be self-evident, but just because Paul McCartney has the title of the most popular songwriter in history doesn't necessarily make him the best songwriter in history. The qualities which do make both Paul and John the best songwriters in history go beyond writing the greatest number of catchy classic songs. "Catchy" means that their melodies and lyrics are instantly memorable. "Classic" means that they stand the test of time. But both Paul and John wrote very sophisticated melodies that moved beyond the simple groups of 2, 4 and 8 patterned phrases used by almost all other songwriters. John and Paul's melodies soared, floated, cascaded, dived and peaked with true dynamics, naturally following the syllabic lyric patterns - but not always. Sometimes the melodic and lyric patterns were independent of each other, almost counterpoint in nature, and as a songwriter, they never ceased to astonish me with their brilliance and originality. In the beginning, their lyrics were simple and their songs were simple love songs. But they soon began exploring new territory by writing about subjects that hadn't been covered before. Inspired by Bob Dylan, they wrote true poetry with feeling and depth, using evocative and unusual words. Rubber Soul marked the beginning of their evolution as mature songwriters, Revolver was a break-out album, and Sergeant Pepper was an historic landmark album in terms of new and innovative songwriting as well as production. Every song they wrote was significantly different from the last one even though each song had their unmistakable sound.

Most songwriters are only average players on their instruments, but John and Paul are both sophisticated guitarists who were able to integrate their playing into their songs and even into their song structure so that the "licks" they played became as catchy a part of their songs as the choruses and verses. Blackbird and Dear Prudence are only two examples of songs which couldn't possibly be written by any other songwriter because of the guitar playing which forms an integral part of the song structure. In similar fashion, Lady Madonna is the best example of a great song which derives from the unique and beautiful bass part which only Paul could possibly have created.

Average songwriters achieve the catchy quality by repeating a phrase endlessly or by beating a chorus to death. John and Paul found countless ways to be memorable without ever overly repeating something. The only time they repeated something over and over again for a long time was in Hey Jude, and what they chose to repeat is so gorgeous that one can only wish they had never ended the song. The Beatles were my biggest musical influence and I used to think, "If I could write just one song that's as good as John and Paul's worst song, I'd be happy." People tell me I accomplished that goal and they say one good example is John is Alive which is my sincere tribute to Sir Lennon.

[Hide Advertisement]
3. BEST SINGERS

Even Ringo could sing when he got a little help from his friends who lived in the yellow submarine. But to say that Paul and John are two of the best singers in rock and roll is to state the obvious. Combining John, Paul and George created the best harmony vocals the world has ever experienced. Even their two part harmonies were unusual, catching us all by surprise on their first hit record with the fast harmony melisma in the chorus of I Want to Hold Your Hand. John had a knack of placing a unique low harmony line underneath Paul's high melody line so as to form a second melody which created unusual harmony effects. He did that right from the beginning in the verses of She Loves You. Both Paul and John could blast out screaming rock and roll (i.e. Long Tall Sally and Twist and Shout), and both could break our hearts with touching, deep feeling ballads (i.e. Yesterday and Julia). There seems to be no end to their emotional vocal range, and John even explored the heights of vocal psychedelia in songs like She Said (Revolver) and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

4. MOST CREATIVE PLAYERS

Paul brought a new style of melodic playing to the bass guitar, reaching a new high of creativity on Sergeant Pepper with a level of sophistication never heard before. Many other musicians besides me recognize Paul as being one of the best bass guitar players ever. George is underrated as a lead guitarist by people with average or below average musical knowledge or ability, but most guitarists (including Eric Clapton) know better. George's strength is in melody, pure and simple. It would be difficult to find a George Harrison lead which is not melodic, and each of his leads has a strong beginning, a stronger middle and a well defined ending. In fact, that's Eric's definition of what makes a good guitar lead. George continually developed new guitar sounds for each Beatles song. John and Paul are also excellent guitarists and both recorded great leads as well as innovative rhythm tracks. All three of the Beatles guitarists may lack showy technical fireworks but they make that definition of guitar mastery irrelevant by overwhelming the senses with creativity, style, and pure melody. The exact same thing can be said about John and Paul's keyboard playing. Ringo may be underrated as a drummer by the public but he is not underrated by other professional drummers. Ringo mastered the art of drum sounds. No drummer has ever recorded so many different sounds on so many different sounding records. Ringo invented a new style of slow drum playing, epitomized on A Day in the Life and Strawberry Fields Forever. John said many times, "Ringo has the best back beat in the business" and the successful studio drummers understand why John was correct.

5. TOTAL CHARISMA

A good definition of charisma needs to include "an unusual ability to influence people and arouse devotion" and "a personal attractiveness which enables a person to influence others". No musical group prior to or after The Beatles features true charisma emanating strongly from the entire group as well as separately from each member. The Beatles stunned the world with their photogenic quality, their charm, their bubbling and lovable personalities, their cuteness and their unique style. Even before The Beatles achieved fame, people in Liverpool were imitating their haircuts, the way they dressed, the way they behaved, and the way they lived. Such a simple subliminal message about smoking marijuana got communicated to all the hippies who were waiting to happen without actual words ever being spoken. The Beatles had a lot to lose by being explicit on that subject, but they successfully avoided trouble by keeping it very subtle while at the same time clear enough so that we all got it. The Fab Four kept changing their styles rapidly, almost with each album cover, and soon the message became one of explicit spiritualism. After visiting India, The Beatles introduced eastern mysticism and meditation to the Western world for the first time through the mass media. John's long saga with internal angst, drugs, spiritualism, politics, personal battles, and ultimately his marriage to Yoko played out like a movie the whole world got to watch in fascination. Paul's happy life with Linda, George's great focus on meditation, and Ringo's equanimity throughout were all perfect examples of the power, the truth, and the effectiveness of true charisma.

6. SEXUAL AURA

Need I say it? Ask the millions of girls who were screaming and fainting at the very sight of them. "The Boys" didn't move like Elvis or dance like Mick, they just stood there shaking their "mop top" heads around, smiling, laughing, and looking gorgeous as they performed great music and that was it. On their first visit to America, some enterprising weirdo from New York City managed to cut up the hotel bedsheets The Beatles had slept on into 1" square pieces, and these things were actually sold to girls over the public airwaves by adult DJ's on the AM radio stations who should have known better. The Beatles phenomenon went way beyond the rock and roll sex star status that had been seen before. Teenage girls in uncountable numbers fell in love, their hearts to be trapped, their heart strings to be continually plucked, and ultimately, their hearts to be broken by the unobtainable object of their love. Worshiping a star from afar? Infatuation? Obsession? Not real love? For many of them, it was their first experience feeling love for a man/boy. Whatever it was, it was very real to all of them, and we all soon understood that The Beatles were The Real Thing.

That's why I call The Beatles the Most Creative Band of All Time. They were The Real Thing. The Creative Zenith. The high point on the bell curve of musical history.

Peter Cross' articles are protected by Library of Congress Registration No. TXu1-257-177. His web site at http://www.starcrost.com which contains over 200 original pages is his life's work. The title is Rock and Roll with an Immortal Soul - The Real Home of Peter Cross.

InsiderReports
Home | Affiliate Login | Search | Advertise | Classifieds | Contact Us | About Us | Index
The Horizons Unlimited Group Network InsiderReports.com AuthorConnection.com
SearchSavage.com ConsumerCreditRepair.com UpMyScore.com

Copyright © 1996-2007 Horizons Unlimited Group. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

You're making me hate the Beatles now. And I used to be fan....

Loophole what a totally stupid thing to say!!!!!

Ken Runs A Rolling Stones and A John Lennon Fan Site Too

Keno's Classic Rock n Roll Web Site

GREATEST HITS ALBUM REVIEW

THE BEATLES

1962 - 1966

Released - 1973, on Apple Records. Produced by George Martin

John Lennon - Lead &Backing Vocals, Rhythm, Slide, Lead Guitars, Harmonica, Percussion, Keyboards

Paul McCartney - Lead &Backing Vocals, Bass, Acoustic Guitar on track 13, Keyboards, Percussion

George Harrison - Lead and Rhythm Guitars, Percussion, Backing Vocals

Ringo Starr - Drums, Percussion, Keyboards, Backing Vocals and Lead Vocal on track 25

Additional Personnel - Johnnie Scott - Flute on track 15; On track 25: Brian Jones - Percussion &Backing Vocals, Donovan, Pattie Harrison, Marianne Faithfull, Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall - Backing Vocals; Many others play on tracks 13 &24.

All songs written by John Lennon &Paul McCartney

SONG YEAR RELEASED RATING

Love Me Do 1962 10.0
Please Please Me 1963 10.0
From Me to You 1963 10.0
She Loves You 1963 10.0
I Want to Hold Your Hand 1963 10.0
All My Loving 1964 10.0
Can't Buy Me Love 1964 10.0
A Hard Day's Night 1964 10.0
And I Love Her 1964 10.0
Eight Days a Week 1964 10.0
I Feel Fine 1964 10.0
Ticket to Ride 1965 10.0
Yesterday 1965 10.0
Help! 1965 10.0
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away 1965 10.0
We Can Work It Out 1965 10.0
Day Tripper 1965 10.0
Drive My Car 1965 10.0
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) 1965 10.0
Nowhere Man 1965 10.0
Michelle 1965 10.0
In My Life 1965 10.0
Girl 1965 10.0
Paperback Writer 1966 10.0
Eleanor Rigby 1966 10.0
Yellow Submarine 1966 10.0
Ave 10.0

Review

This greatest hits double album was released along with the companion greatest hits double album 1967 - 1970 . Every single song found on here is a pure ten, and too think for the time period covered ('62-'66), they had other songs just as good that didn't make it into this package.

Michael Jackson can call himself the king of pop, but the real pop kings in the early '60s were the Beatles, as anybody who was around back then can tell ya. The first 16 songs on here are all pop, but by mid 1965 their music style would slowly start to change, and since the Beatles were the main trendsetters in music, all of rock music changed along with them.Whatever the Beatles did, everybody else would follow.

It is totally impossible to say for sure which song on here is the best one, but I will try. Let's see, the best pop song would be "She Loves You" - better sung and blended vocals are just not possible, best drug song would be "Day Tripper" - even if most fans didn't have a clue what the song was really about when it first was released, and the best of the newer sounding songs is "Girl", a song with a double meaning to it, something that they would get into again in the upcoming years.

I really don't have to say too much more about this greatest hits album, it speaks for itself and if you love the Beatles you more than likely already have it and love it. If you don't love or at least like the Beatles and their music, then you are not a true rock fan, and more than likely never will ever get it.

-Keno 2005

To listen to some soundclips from THE BEATLES 1962-1966 or to purchase it, click on: The Beatles '62 -'66

Return to Rock Album's Reviews

As The All Music Guide says in their excellent Beatles biography,"So much has been said and written about The Beatles and their story is so mythic in it's sweep that it's difficult to summarize their career without restating cliche's that have already been digested by tens of millions of rock fans.To state the obvious,they were the greatest and most influential act of the rock era,and introduced more innovations into popular music than any other rock band of the 20th century,moreover they were among the few artists of *any* discipline that were simultaneously the best at what they did,*and* the most popular at what they did Relentlessly imaginative, and expermintal The Beatles grabbed a hold of the international mass consciousness in 1964 and never let go for the next 6 years always staying ahead of the pack in terms of creativity but never losing their ability to communicate their increasingly sophisticated ideas to a mass audience.Their supremacy as rock icons remains unchallenged to this day decades after their breakup in 1970."

"Even when couching praise in specific terms, it's hard to convey the scope of The Beatles achievements in a mere paragraph or two. They synthesized all that was good about early rock &roll and changed it into something orginal and exciting. They established the prototype of the self-contained rock group that wrote and performed it's own material. As composers their craft and melodic inventiveness were second to none and key to the evolution of rock from it's blues R&B- based forms into a style that was far more eclectic but equally visceral. As vocalists John Lennon &Paul McCartney were both among the best and most expressive vocalists in rock;the groups harmonies were intricate and exhillarating."

"The Popularity Of The Beatles as a unit proved eternal. In part this is because the group's 1970 split effectively short-circuited the prospects of artistic decline;the body of work that was preserved was uniformly strong. However it's also because like any great works of art,The Beatles records carried an ageless magnificence that continues to captivate new generations of listeners. So it is that Beatles records continue to be heard on radio in heavy rotation,continue to sell in massive quanities and continue to be covered and quoted by rock and pop artists through the present day"

Subj: Keno's Classic Rock n Roll WEb Site Great Review Of The Beatles 1967-1970
Date: 12/7/2007 6:13:03 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: andre@wmgk.com

Keno's Classic Rock n Roll Web Site

GREATEST HITS ALBUM REVIEW

THE BEATLES

1967 - 1970

Released - 1973, on Apple Records. Produced by George Martin, except tracks 27 & 28, produced by Phil Spector

John Lennon - Lead & Backing Vocals, Rhythm, Lead, Slide Guitars, Bass on track 15, Percussion, Harp, Keyboards

Paul McCartney - Lead & Backing Vocals, Bass, Drums &Lead Guitar on track 15, Keyboards, Percussion

George Harrison - Lead and Rhythm Guitars, Backing and Lead Vocals

Ringo Starr - Drums, Percussion, Keyboards, Backing Vocals, and Lead Vocals on tracks 4 & 25

Additional Personnel - Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Keith Moon, Marianne Faithfull, Pattie Harrison, Jane Asher, Graham Nash, Mike Sammes Singers and several others.

All songs written by Lennon/McCartney except "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Old Brown Shoe", "Here Comes The Sun" and "Something", written by G. Harrison and "Octopus's Garden" written by R. Starkey.

SONG YEAR RELEASED

RATING

Strawberry Fields Forever 1967 10.0
Penny Lane 1967 10.0
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 1967 10.0
With a Little Help from My Friends 1967 10.0
Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds 1967 10.0
A Day in the Life 1967 10.0
All You Need Is Love 1967 10.0
I Am the Walrus 1967 10.0
Hello Goodbye 1967 10.0
The Fool on the Hill 1967 10.0
Magical Mystery Tour 1967 10.0
Lady Madonna 1968 10.0
Hey Jude 1968 10.0
Revolution 1968 10.0
Back in the U.S.S.R. 1968 10.0
While My Guitar Gently Weeps 1968 10.0
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da 1968 10.0
Get Back 1969 10.0
Don't Let Me Down 1969 9.6
The Ballad of John and Yoko 1969 10.0
Old Brown Shoe 1969 6.0
Here Comes the Sun 1969 10.0
Come Together 1969 10.0
Something 1969 10.0
Octopus's Garden 1969 8.4
Let It Be 1970 10.0
Across the Universe 1970 9.0
The Long and Winding Road 1970 10.0
Ave. 9.75

Review

This is the companion greatest hits double album to 1962 - 1966 . You sure can see how much not only The Beatles appearance changed in just a few short years (just check out the two LPs covers, with photos taken at the same location of the Fabs just 6 years apart), but boy did their music change too!

No longer a pop group, they were now a pure rock band with songs that said a lot more than just I love you and I wanna hold your hand! Thanks to John Lennon, some of the most far-out lyrics written by anybody were now showing up on their records, and it seemed to rub off on Paul McCartney in some of his songs, too.

The best overall song on here was written by Paul for John's young son, "Hey Jude". It was at the time of its release the longest time running single ever released and was a smash hit, and most people were fooled into thinking the lyrics were about heroin addiction. The best written song in this greatest hits package has to be John's "I Am the Walrus", with "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" (another Lennon penned gem) a close second. One more song to make the "best" list would be "Revolution" with one of the first and best acid lead guitar parts ever played, courtesy of John.

The three greatest songs ever written by George Harrison show up on here, too, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Here Comes The Sun" and "Something". But what in the world is his "Old Brown Shoe" doing on here? This one is a weak song, if not for the slide guitar and neat bass it would not even be an average song, but for sure it was not a Beatles greatest hit, nor a song that most Beatles fans cared for. Almost any other song from '67 -'70 would have fitted in better than this dull one!

I guess I could close out this review in the same matter that I closed out my review for 1962 - 1966, nothing more needs to be written about this album, yes, it too speaks for itself! Damn, the Beatles were one GREAT group!

- Keno 2005

To listen to some soundclips from THE BEATLES 1967-1970 or to purchase it, click on: The Beatles '67 - '70

Return to Rock Album's Reviews

Neoptolemos I just re-read your above posts and you are such an idiot that you don't even realize your own contradiction of two posts you made on the very same day! First you say you don't like The Beatles sound,and then a couple of posts down you say you don't dislike them you just think they are really overrated! Next time know what your saying and try to be more honest and consistent before you make the idiot out of yourself that you did!

Ignore him and he'll go away...

fanofthefab4 has really opened my eyes. That red smiley with the nodding head and frown on its face is fantastic-the best smiley EVER, as befits the band that created acid house, the hully-gully scene, native American chants, skiffle, children's television and sex.

EdAmes, don't forget that they also created Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati. But I still ain't sure about Toledo.

Henrik, if you're out there, it's probably time to lock both of these Beatles threads, as they've clearly passed the point of no return.

Oh, and, fanofthefab4, whoever you are, if my suggestion prompts you to attempt to tag me as yet another Beatles hater, as I'm sure it will, know that I have five Beatles albums on my top 100 list ("NOOOOO!!! FIVE IS NOT NEEEEAAARRRLY ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!"), including 2 in my top 10. So go f--- yourself.

me too 5 albums, 2 in my top ... 5
So he went away... His mummy probably called him for dinner