Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blonde Redhead

Just a quick question - I'm going to see Interpol on Wednesday night, and apparently Blonde Redhead are supporting. Now, I noticed that their newest album, '23', is at #25 on the "Acclaimed So Far" list for this year. Are there any fans here? Should I give it a go before Weds?

Re: Blonde Redhead

Wow, that's weird - I just had a conversation about Blonde Redhead at the watercooler about an hour ago. A colleague told me to listen to their new album, so naturally, I checked Henrik's 2007 album list and sure enough, sitting right there at #25....

So MiMaMa, sorry, I can't help out out. But I'm going to grab the album right now.

Ok, cool. I think I'll get my hands on it asap, sounds like it'll be worth it. Cheers Anthony!

Max, after you listen to it, be sure to report back and I'll do the same. Of course, everyone else is welcome too!

What the...? That was supposed to be a thumbs up! Hmmmmph.

If one of you like "23", then it's very likely it appeals to the other one too, as you have a correlation coefficient of 0.49 in the 1990s poll. The highest correlation of all!

I love it, definitely gonna be in my top 10 this year. It's a huge step forwards from their previous albums, which I didn't find that great. 23 is great though, with the female singer's unintelligible stuff on the titletrack and "Spring And By Summer Fall" as especially good.

MightyMadMax, I think it's worth an early visit to listen to them. I'm not a fan (yet), for I only have their latest album, but do like that album. '23' is a serious candidate for me to give some points for the 2007 Pazz & Jop poll.

Noise rock mixed with dream pop, to summarize it in an unpolite matter. The opener '23' is really sticky, couldn't get that song out of my head for a day or two. Rest of the album is also great.

Now I haven't seen them live myself, but feedback from some friends were positive. Only minus point I heard was the female vocals, her voice apparently sounds better in studio than live.

Sounds like you got my email, Henrik. Awesome!

If Max and I are kindred spirits, it's probably due in large part to my love affair with the music that came out of his country in the 90s.

It's really good. There's nothing on it that is as good as Falling Man off Misery is a Butterfly but it's a much better album.

Wow, I go away for a bit, and he thread's been inundated! Thanks one and all for the advice, I'm just about to listen to it now. I've yet to hear a bad word about it, so...

And Anthony, yep I'm lucky to say I'm a product of the British 90's music scene, and it shows in my music tastes

I saw Blonde Redhead at All Tomorrow's Parties in 2002 and they were fantastic, one of the highlights of a brilliant festival.Can only imagine they're even better now as the albums since then have been excellent-'23' is a definate top three of the year for me and the title track is the most insidiously catchy thing I've heard for ages.
Should be a blinding gig, Max-great headliners, great support act.Wish I was going myself!

Well, after getting past the bizarre (and somewhat disturbing) album cover, I was able to sit down and sink my teeth into this record.

First impression: above-average indie rock with some terrific sonic flourishes, especially in the percussive end of things. Very atmospheric - a lot of synth to amazing effect (and the piano might be buried under the layers, but it's there, and it adds to the effect.) "23" is a great opening punch; catchy, cool interweaving vocals and a rhythm that demands head-bobbing. (I love the "bom-bom-bom ba-da-ba-da" drum beat.)

Other highlights: "Spring and by Summer Fall" (interesting double-tracked vocals, cool atmospheric synth, and an overal "Sigur Ros on speed" aesthetic,) "Publisher" is haunting (another awesome drum intro). And then there's "Top Ranking" - sounds innocent enough, until the lyric "they were young soldiers/they were old liars/but I heard the rumor that they will burn down your house."

Like it. I'm sure it'll be on heavy rotation on my iPod in the forthcoming days.

P.S. Max - I saw Interpol back in April of this year. The setlist was heavy on the new album, as expected. But the show was delightful (even if they didn't play my favorite song "Take You on a Cruise.")

P.P.S. I'm looking for a good word to describe the "23" album cover. Not grotesque, sorta off-putting, a bit bizarre.... any ideas?

Hey, yeah, I have to echo all the nice words sent this album's way by all the above posters. Having gotten round to hearing it, I've fallen under that grip - not an iron grip, it's far more comfortable than that. Didn't hit me for six at once like some do, but rather compels (immediate) repeated listens. '23', 'Spring And By Summer Fall' and 'Silently' are the early leaders for my favourite tracks, but realistically the entire album has got me even more pumped for the gig tomorrow!

I could make out most of their lyrics. This record may sound more like the Cocteaus and Sigur Ros but unlike those bands you could actually make out what she's saying. 23 reminds me a bit of the Sugarcubes. I hope it's #23 on the best of 07 list even though it should be much higher.