Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2007 poll

i'm relatively new to this site (5 months) and I don't know if you guys usually do a end-of-tear poll on a regular basis
What are the habits ?

Re: 2007 poll

In years past, we have done our own version of the Pazz 'n Jop poll. Basically, each member submits a list of their top 10 albums of the year and assigns each a number of points between 5 and 30 such that all the albums total 100 points. I think we will probably do the same for this year.

Here are the top 10 results from the Acclaimed Music Pazz & Jop poll I've done the last couple of years. If there's interest in doing it for 2007, I guess I can tabulate the scores again.

2005 AM Pazz & Jop results (19 ballots)

1. Sufjan Stevens - "Illinois" 170 (11)
2. Antony and the Johnsons - "I’m a Bird Now" 78 (8)
3. Sleater-Kinney - "The Woods" 70 (6)
4. Gorillaz - "Demon Days" 61 (5)
5. The Go! Team - "Thunder, Lightning, Strike" 56 (5)
6. The White Stripes - "Get Behind Me Satan" 55 (5)
7. M.I.A. - Arular 54 (6)
8. The Decemberists - "Picaresque" 51 (5)
9. Kanye West - Late Registration 49 (5)
10. LCD Soundsystem - s/t 48 (6)

2006 AM Pazz & Jop results (19 ballots)

1. Belle and Sebastian - "The Life Pursuit" (6) 67
2. The Hold Steady - "Boys and Girls in America" (4) 65
3. The Pipettes - "We Are the Pipettes" (4) 59
4. TV on the Radio - "Return to Cookie Mountain" (4) 50
5. Bob Dylan - "Modern Times" (6) 49
6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Show Your Bones" (5) 49
7. Ghostface Killah - "Fishscale" (4) 49
8. Lily Allen - "Alright, Still" (5) 43
9. The Roots - "Game Theory" (3) 40
10. Midlake - "The Trials of Van Occupanther" (3) 39

I enjoyed doing it last year so Id definitely be interested in doing it again. My 2007 best albums list is pretty much done though I may make some minor changes.

Sleater-Kinney,the Go!Team, the White Stripes, the Decemberists, Belle and Sebastian, Midlake, the Pipettes, Lily Allen, who needs critics when when this little group here has the best taste in music ever.

Count me in.

When are we gonna do this poll ?
From december 1st to 31 ?

Pretty please, wait until next year to do this. I usually catch up on acclaimed releases after critics' year-end lists come out.

I know doing this in January will make us behind the curve when it comes to professional critics, but I might have a chance to participate if we wait because i'm getting very close to listening to 10 albums released this year that deserve points.

We have enough list making to do anyway!

I'd say somewhere in january, maybe february. We'll be doing songs, albums and artists lists until the end of february so we'll be busy for a while.

I'm OK for the 2 first weeks of January, but I think after mid-january it would be too late, I personally won't care anymore about 2007 in February. The first albums of 2008 will be released. What about you ?

Fine by me.

I think the first two weeks of January for voting are fine. Then I'll release the results on Jan. 15. When it gets a little closer to the time I'll start a new thread with instructions.

ok great