Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Revolver magazine - 50 greatest punk rock albums of all time

In the critics' list, I see only one entry from the american Revolver magazine (best metal albums - 2002).

Here's another one from 2003, listing the 50 greatest punk rock albums of all time:

http://www.muzieklijstjes.nl/RevolverMagazine50GreatestPunk.htm

Re: Revolver magazine - 50 greatest punk rock albums of all time

That of course could resurrect the "when did punk begin?" debate. Seems like their date is 1976/77 with just one disk by Iggy & the Stooges representing punk-before-punk. I'm not gonna insist on MC5, but some might.

This list probably falls under the category "genre list from a non-genre-specific source" and therefore not be included.

Punk had a few more classic albums than I thought - still,I'd be more interested in a top 50 punk songs

Hmm, interesting list. Great to see Zen Arcade, Double Nickels On The Dime and Songs About Fucking listed. In a way, all three of these are light years away from the musical limitations of punk rock, but as idiosyncratic and uncompromising guitar albums, they could all be classified as "punk rock" in the purest sense.
And, of course, all three are ranked below Enema Of The State, possibly the nadir of imagination-free, third generation three-chord bullshit.