The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Guardian's 1000 Albums To Hear Before You Die

http://music.guardian.co.uk/1000albums

Although this technically isn't a top 1000 albums of all-time, i think it could probably be included. It's a fair mixture of genres and a couple of odd choice for example i wasnt expecting "I'm Your Man" to be their pick for Leonard Cohen

Re: The Guardian's 1000 Albums To Hear Before You Die

Similar to that book 1,000 Albums You Must Hear Before You Do (probably where it got the idea?) So, likely to be included- just a matter of when our newlywed finds the time for the next update. :)

I don't think this should be included. In the section where it is described how the list was compiled, the authors state that they limit it to one album per artist, and for certain artists, when there is an "obvious choice" (they use Revolver and Pet Sounds) as examples, they choose a nice alternative. Determining which albums are the obvious choices for each artist and when that has been done makes it difficult to know exactly how to take this list. They also include compilations.

I quite like that Guardian list.

Don't See a Problem With That...

moonbeam- a lot of lists limit it to one album per act, and also include compilations. Gives it more flavor that way, and also opens more albums up to some acclaim.

I like it when lists do that sometimes too, JR, but the fact that they say that they don't give the obvious choice sometimes makes it seem impossible to determine exactly how to rank them. Nice to see you around these parts, by the way!

Dunno whether it shoud be included (up to Henrik), but it's a fun read. Choosing that weird combination of greatest (and not-so-great) hits and outtakes "Biograph" as the Dylan contribution is a stroke of wayward genius. Plus the list (and their collection of readers' quibbles about albums left of) reminded me of several albums I haven't played in a while. Now where did I last put The Gun Club, "Fire of Love"?

Thanks Mikey2000 for this great finding!

For all lists with >50 albums and limited to one album per artist, I blank the other albums by the included artists so they will not be punished.

Hence, the list can be included at AM, although it requires a lot of work from me.

Glad to see some of my favourite albums which are not in many top lists (such as Vitalic's OK Cowboy or Refused's Shape of Punk to Come) but how can thay have chosen 1 000 albums from different artists and pick no Elliott Smith !!!

Well, anyway I'm also glad to see a few french artists (Mc Solaar, Gainsbourg, Françoise Hardy or Camille really deserve their places) even if they forgot some of the greatest such as IAM, Noir Désir or Jacques Brel.