Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Changing Tastes Over Time

I think it would be interesting to track and compare how critical acclaim for various bands/performaers (or albums/songs) changes over time. One record might be considered the trendiest new thing while another is largely ignored. Twenty years later the once-trendy record may sound dated or cliche while the ignored record has been discovered by a new audience.

Example: Consider the "big four" of the British invasion - The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, and The Kinks. I wonder how the prevailing critical view of these bands 1960's work has changed from 1970 to 1980, 1990, 2000, etc. My guess is the "old" music rises and falls in fashion over time. It would be interesting to track the patterns. The Beatles likely would be highly regarded through all periods. The Kinks likely went through a period of being ignored and now may be experiencing a renaissance of rediscovery by a new generation of fans. The Who has probably had a few peaks and valleys over the last 40 years.

Does anybody know if the changes in critical/public appreciation over time have been or could be charted? Is there a function on this website that would shed light on the question about trends in taste?

Do you think recent appraisals of older work are more accurate/valuable than contemporary critiques?

Are there any bands/performers that you suspect have either nosedived or skyrocketted in critical acclaim over the last 20-30 years?

Re: Changing Tastes Over Time

The Beatles Sgt Pepper was considered their masterpiece, but since Britpop and alterntive rock it's Revolver that gets the most critical acclaim. If progressive rock gets huge again Sgt Pepper will be big again. I think Dylan is now on par with the Stones and will pass them but the Beatles are in their own league. Their third best songwriter George Harrison Something was called the best love song ever written by Frank Sinatra so their appeal goes across the board. Velvet Undergroud has skyrocketed the past twenty years I guess.