Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CD's that don't work!

queens of the stone age - lullabies to paralyze
the mars volta - frances the mute
king crimson - in the court of the crimson king
oasis - (what's the story) morning glory?
pixies - doolittle

all of those are CD's that i've paid full price for and they don't work. some tracks on them don't play properly. sometimes it's subtle and tolerable, but sometimes a track will skip so badly that it's unlistenable. it really annoys me. sometimes it takes a while for me to notice these things and by that time i've thrown the receipts away so i can't exchange them for working ones. it's really annoying... i really don't blame people for downloading music when the alternative is running the risk of purchasing a poor quality product... has this happened to anyone else here?

Re: CD's that don't work!

I've bought a CD abroad that wouldn't play properly in my computer drive. Took it to the local store, and the guy played it with no problem in his regular CD player. And sure enough when I got home, it worked OK on my stationary player. I get the impression some old or cheap CD players are less capable of handling a not-quite-perfect disk (which is not to say that it's all right for you to be given a flawed disk for your money, of course). I'm sure others here know more about the technical aspects of this.

two of the ones i mentioned only don't work in specific CD players, the others don't work in all that i've tried them in (a car CD player, a home CD player, and a computer drive)...

That's ridiculous. No wonder you're peeved. Anybody else had that problem?

When one of the labels put out that DualDisc format a few years back (CD on one side, DVD on the flip side), it wouldn't play or load on my computer or play in my car stereo. I only bought one in that format, and never again.

My best of Curve cd and best of Teenage Fanclub cd's kind of skip a bit as does my best of Jesus and Mary Chain but fortunately only the song "I Hate Rock & Roll" skips and that's my least favorite song off the record. My Billy Bragg and Wilco cd skips too as does Set List by the Frames. I can't get a refund or anything since all the record stores I bought them at are closed. There's a new product called the Skip DR Automax that's supposed to fix scrathes on cds and dvds and it's about $40. Pixie's Doolittle is only $10 at the most. It's definitely worth the price.

R.E.M.'s Adventures in Hi-Fi and I think Green can't be read on my new computer, but work fine on my old laptop. Same deal with The Cars self-titled and a few other albums. Weird.

I've been f...ed up when My Morning Jacket released "Z" two years ago : because of the anti-piracy control system on the cd, I never could have listened to the album on my computer (and I listen almost all my music on my computer)...
Music industry shouldn't cry because people illegally download music on peer-to-peers. With their f...in' anti-piracy control system they put on the cds, they punish real fans who have bought the cd. Fed up of being f...ed up, one day real fans will also illegally download music.

My dad used to burn me copies of things instead of buying them. My copy of Aftermath *never* did not skip.

I also recently had to replace my Nevermind and OK Computer because they skipped too much. (Totally by coincidence the by far most acclaimed two albums of the nineties).