Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Beatles- As You Never Wanted To Hear Them Before!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/16/mccartney-pretty-sure-the-beatles-will-go-digital-next-year/

Why on earth are people so excited for the Beatles catalog to go to Itunes? You can go to Amazon.com right now and I'm sure you'd find all of their albums for under 10 dollars. Or, you could go to your local used CD outlet and find them for under 10 dollars. Then, you can rip it to your computer if you feel like it and rip it at the quality and format you prefer... this should not be a big deal. Unless there are extra songs released it's not that big of a deal that Apple is ripping songs that are widely available. If ripping a CD were impossible then it would be a big deal. This really baffles me.

Re: The Beatles- As You Never Wanted To Hear Them Before!

Paul needs the money apparently. I still refuse to use the bloated piece of shit they call iTunes so I honestly couldn't care less about this though.

Still, I suppose it's interesting to see if this will increase the popularity of 'old' music among people my age. Bands like The Beatles, The Who or The Stones and especially Bob Dylan are too often being written off as "too old" by them before even listening to the music.

The catalog on iTunes is gonna be very different, very special: If you play these digital files backwards, you will clearly hear satanic verses or prayers of some evil demons

It’s because iTunes is the biggest music store on the planet, and it’s so blatantly obvious that the biggest music store should stock the best-selling musical act of all time.

Sure, it’s a giant money-grab for both Apple and McCartney, but it’s also a good thing too (not that The Beatles need iTunes, or vice-versa, but it’s a good deal for everyone.)

Wow, Neo, tell us how you REALLY feel. Why the hatred?

I've been to many many record stores here in England, big and small, and I have never seen one of the main Beatles albums for less than £10, and that was on sale.

You call less than 10 pound cheap? That's like $27 here - I've never bought an album that expensive...
All the Beatles albums are about 4 or 5 pound

I wish we could edit these posts...

I think many people are excited because they are waiting for the albums to be remastered. I'm not nuts about the iTunes angle, but I am interested in seeing the album released in great sound.

Of course, they may well sound worse than the current discs.

Neoptolemos the Beatles are very popular with young musicians more so than Dylan. I am in my twenties and the Beatles are the number one selling albums artists that are not new in my age group. I cover the Beatles songs and many bands cover the Beatles songs so there are plenty of us like the Beatles.

Neoptolemos the Beatles are very popular with young musicians more so than Dylan. I am in my twenties and the Beatles are the number one selling albums artists that are not new in my age group. I cover the Beatles songs and many bands cover the Beatles songs so there are plenty of us who like the Beatles.

"Wow, Neo, tell us how you REALLY feel. Why the hatred?"

Which hatred? The hatred for iTunes? I'm not a big Apple fan, to say the least, but this is not the place to elaborate on that. My major complaint on iTunes is that it's way too big, way too annoying and (not sure what the English word is, but they basically obligate you to install QuickTime and iTunes if you want to use an iPod, similar to the lawsuit Microsoft received concerning WMP, I'll just call it connected sales) the connected sales it gives you.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for explaining, Neoptolemos.

I actually enjoy iTunes, to the point that I’m a bit OCD when it comes to my library. I don’t find it annoying at all, in fact, I find it rather functional (and occasionally brilliant – eg. smart playlists.) The interface is simple enough to use and it allows a person to get going with iTunes/iPod very quickly and effortlessly, but it also has enough advanced features to keep nuts like me happy.

I am with Neoptolemos and ? (what an original name that is).

Remasters and greater Beatles sound is always welcome, don't want iTunes on my PC and saved quite some money not buying an iPod. I can understand the advantages of using iTunes and its features, Anthony, but for the moment I'll juts have to live without these smart playlists ...

Not sure, but I don't think you can get any Beatles album for less than 10 Euro ... (in the EU that is)

Yeah, it's weird. Most albums on bol.com are 7.99 or 9.99 but pretty much every Beatles album is 20 euro's. Very strange.

And uh.. I haven't used iTunes in a little while, what kind of playlist functions does it have that Winamp or even Foobar doesn't?

Oh, missed your post Sal. See, what I meant was people in general my age. Obviously musicians will delve into the history of the music they're making, but in general I don't see a lot of teenagers buying a Beatles album. They only see and hear what's on MTV and the likes. That's why I think that with a release of Beatles songs on iTunes (which is, admittedly, a very cleverly set up and huge musicshop with a lot of users) might broaden their horizons. Could just be vain hope though.

I haven't used Winamp for a while, but from what I remember, it was a primitive little application.

Does it have smart-playlist capabilities (ie. choosing from numerous criteria and applying and/or logic to create customized playlists)? Does it have a cover-flow view mode that allows one to view their digital music library like it was a virtual jukebox?

Those are two of my favorite iTunes features. Shit, I could work for Apple! (or who knows, maybe I do...)

Why on earth would anyone want remasters? I would want nothing to do with that if Lennon and Harrison aren't in on the remaster process, and obviously that's not going to happen. The CD's were bad enough I can't imagine another team going in and screwing the music up even further.

Mastering technology has come quite far in the last decade and a half. All the old albums severely need to be updated. Just a/bing any remaster against it's original should be enough reason to support remasters.

The reason why the sound on most CD versions of albums is terrible is because they were rushed to the store. As soon as even a hint of the technology became available labels pushed their entire catalogues into the marketplace. This resulted in a lot of sloppy, rushed jobs.

I think you should be more afraid of a master if Lennon and Harrison ARE involved. Mastering is a very calculated process. It takes an incredible level of understanding and training to get something that even IMPROVES a mix, let alone takes it to a new level. Anyone who "masters" but isn't a professional mastering (or maybe a mixing) engineer has no clue what they're doing and should be avoided at all costs, regardless of whether they're a Beatle or not.

I still have no desire to listen to some producers (who had no part in the original sessions) take on classic albums. Especially when half of the band has no say in the matter. Maybe they aren't professionals but I'm pretty sure if it were up to Lennon he'd say no since he preferred the original mono mixes.

I do agree that the CD's suck. But, instead of a remaster they should just use the original recordings as heard on LP and release the albums in stereo and mono. That's what most Beatles enthusiasts are craving for.