Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Control

So far, I did not have the opportunity to go and watch Control, a biopic about Ian Curtis. Apparently, the movie will come out on DVD as well by January 2008.

Dutch photographer Anton Corbijn directed the movie. After getting bored with the Dutch music scene, he left to go the UK, where the music 'happened', and started to follow one of his favorite bands Joy Division. Shortly before Ian's suicide, he took a picture of the band, all climbing up the stairs, where Ian Curtis looks back towards the camera. This specific picture went over the world, making Corbijn world famous instantaneously.

The movie supposedly gives a good insight of Curtis' life ... and death. It is, like Corbijn's typical photographs, in black and white. More info on Wikipedia.

Did any of you happen to see this movie and would like to share some thoughts about it?

Re: Control

I've seen it. The cinematography is absolutely sublime. I like the fact that it doesn't portray Ian as a hero, per se. The music is fantastic, as are the performances. I think it's really well done and worth seeing.

I saw it a few weeks ago, and it is excellent. Black and white throughout, which was essential, a frighteningly good performance from Sam Riley, especially for the reincarnation of the on-stage Curtis, and Samantha Morton is great as ever. I agree with Moonbeam in that it doesn't mythicise the man (cf Jim Morrison in the Doors film), but traces his roots to working class Macclesfield, his home town, and his, er, loss of control. I definitely recommend everyone to check it out if they can, even if you're not a Joy Division fan.

Thanks for your feedback, Moonbeam and MightyMadmax.

So, as a Joy Division admirer, I definitely have to see it. Have to be patient though, for it does not run in the German cinemas before January 10th . Maybe I can see it around Christmas back home in Holland, where it is 'already' running. BTW, the DVD release is scheduled for February, not January as I mistakenly wrote initially ...

I saw it with a friend who hardly knows music in general, let alone Joy Division. I tried to explain beforehand why they are so revered but he still left the theatre more confused than enlightened. I really liked it though. Especially because there are a billion and a half references to other things going on in the UK music scene at the same time.