Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM 2007 End-Of-Year Lists

I'm only really thinking out loud here, because I know there's a lot of other things ticking over here in the next couple of months, but are we going to be posting our own end-of-year albums and/or songs lists? Not necessarily to get an 'overall' list, just out of curiosity to see what people have enjoyed. This way it won't be a very time consuming exercise, and so shouldn't distract too much from schleuse and henrik's brilliantly formidable endeavours. Any thoughts/opinions?

Re: AM 2007 End-Of-Year Lists

I think we should do this maybe in december or january
The 1990's poll will be over.

Yeah there are still at least two albums that have a pretty good shot of being in my top 10 which will be released in December. I'm not ready.

Yeah, that's sensible. Out of interest, John, which 2 albums are they?

I have a pretty good sense of what my top twenty will be, but have no real idea about the order.

Wu-Tang and Ghostface.

I thought Westlife and Natasha Beddingfield. Well, almost.

I've heard like 50 albums and I think 2007 is a weak year.
Nothing that thrilled me.
Only good albums : Alela diane, Robert Wyatt, Arctic Monkeys, wilco, Spoon; but nothing excellent
do you feel the same ?

Yes, feel the same. Nothing groundbreaking so far, more of the same: Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, LCD Soundsystem, Wilco, PJ Harvey, Bruce Springsteen, etcetera, all have made better albums in the past, IMO.

The last couple of days, the new Iron & Wine is occupying me. But it's too early to call that 'excellent'.

I think 2007 is quite a decent year. Brilliant releases from The National, Bruce Springsteen and Robert Plant/Alison Krauss, great releases by Panda Bear, Arcade Fire and Battles and good releases from Elliot Smith and Patty Griffin as well as quite a few good singles make this a good, if not great, year. Compared to the rest of the decade, I think it'll share a second place with 2004, both behind 2001.

I think 2007 has been fantastic, actually. Well above 2005 and 2006, and it can go toe to toe with any album of the decade.

Hey, something we can agree on. 2007 has been excellent, but nobody has mentioned "Cease to Begin" - an incredible record.

A lot of great stuff from older artists has come out this year.

Studio Albums:
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
John Fogerty - Revival
Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II
Robert Plant/Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
Prince - Planet Earth

Live Albums:
Queen - Queen Rock Montreal

Compilations:
Bob Dylan - DYLAN
Led Zeppelin - Mothership

etc. etc.

I agree with nicolas. I thought last year was great, but this year only LCD, the National, Spoon and !!! have really caught my attention. I still haven't heard the Robert Plant/Allison Krauss, Les Savy Fav and Robert Wyatt albums. Wilco, Springsteen, Of Montreal and a bunch of other stuff has been alright, but nothing has blown me away but the aforementioned four.

I also think I have to get a really good hip-hop album in a year for it to be memorable, otherwise it's always just a slew of indieish rock for me. On that point, last year had 3 IMO (Ghostface, Clipse and the Roots), but this year has had one borderline (Jay-Z) so far. There is some potential with another Ghostface coming out and a new Wu, but I'm a little sceptical.

I am disappointed by the Springsteen album (and Bruce is my favourite singer)
The National doesn't do it for me, I don't llike the guy's voice, and it's the perfect record if you feel like trying suicide
I heard a lot of the latest Neil Young
ANd, on more : a beautiful blues/gospel record by a 80 year old singer, Marie Knight (merely just a voice with an acoustic guitar)
But no groundbreaking new group

I thought this year was one of the best in 4-5 years. The past few years have produced a lot of memorable singles but not too many great albums. This year produced at least 5-6 albums that will be staples in my collection for the long run.