Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bracketology: Sweet Little 16

Schleuse:

I don't want to complain too much but if you want full and timely participation in all your fun list games AND you want comments for each entry in order for it to be counted, you should finish one game before another starts.

I'm mostly concerned with all these good list ideas being used up too quickly.

Point taken, Jonah--I may have become overexcited.

Originally, my thinking was that Survivor would start as soon as bracketology ended. Until Friday's deluge of ballots, I thought of the Loophole Round as just the Survivor "pregame," and convinced myself that it wouldn't overshadow bracketology.

Now, I don't really think there's a problem with running both at the same time. The Sweet 16 is doing just fine, actually--I'm more concerned about having a different schedule for the Sweet 16 (ending on Wednesday rather than Sunday) than about running two contests at once. I mean, many voters have been following bracketology for nearly five months--and we're approaching the big payoff, so I don't think people will suddenly forget about that.

Still, had I been using my brain more, I probably would have put the Loophole Round off another week or two. I'm sure we'll muddle through...

Loophole round, bracketology finals, top 100 of the 90s, top 100 songs, top 100 albums. We're quite busy at the moment. Not to say that's a bad thing, but it can be a little overwhelming. I still haven't started on my 90s list..

BRACKET Q

To me, Stairway is a little too goofy to be truly great. I like Zeppelin (absolutely loved them at one time), but they made songs about vikings and bustles in your hedgerows, and that, along with Bob Plant’s hysterical vocals, keep them out of that rarefied Beatles/Stones/Dylan territory.

The other three are all great songs and push all the buttons you would want a rock song to push. I pick Dylan because he’s one of my favourite performers and Like a Rolling Stone - while it may not be my personal favourite Dylan track – distills as well as any other his songs the characteristics that made him one of the great musical figures of our time.

1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”
8. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
49. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”
9. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”

BRACKET R

I’ve mentioned my issues with God Only Knows before, so I won’t flog that horse any more. I have reservations about the other three tracks too, less so with the Beatles track than the others, so that’s my winner.

20. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life”
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
92. U2, “One”
53. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”

BRACKET S

Gimme Shelter feels like an easy winner to me – the other three tracks seem like lightweights by comparison.

146. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”
39. The Clash, “London Calling”
55. Pulp, “Common People”
66. David Bowie, “Heroes”

BRACKET T

Toss-up between 1 & 2 – Billie Jean gets my nod by being creepy and claustrophobic.

27. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean”
19. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”
118. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again”

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - Success in the final, Bob!
2. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - This song builds up to a climax. Original song, very original lyrics.
3. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Rock and Roll heaven.
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - No shame being 4th here. I like it, but here it is outclassed.

BRACKET R
1. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - Do we have a winner here?
2. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - Raw energy deserving all the acclaim.
3. U2, “One” - There can be only one 'One', and this is the one.
4. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - Best number 4 so far. Fantastic. Heavy bracket.

BRACKET S
1. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - This could be the best Stones song, but they made so much good stuff...
2. David Bowie, “Heroes” - And Bowie did other great songs.
3. Pulp, “Common People” - Builds up so beautifully.
4. The Clash, “London Calling” - This is a very good song, but I like the other three more.

BRACKET T (T for tough bracket! I changed my mind several times)
1. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - Perfect disco.
2. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - Everytime I hear it, I like it more.
3. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - Don't fool yourself, this song is really good!
4. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - This one deserves our respect.

My personal finalists:
-Like a Rolling Stone.
-There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.
-Stan.
-Billie Jean.

Damo (or anybody else), have you ever read Killing Yourself To Live by Chuck Klosterman? He says that every male at one point in their life has loved Led Zeppelin whether it be for one minute or 10 years. I'm paraphrasing but it's totally true.

At this point in the game, I guess my motivation is to pick the artists that I would most like represented. Of all the songs Sympathy for the Devil and Billie Jean are the only ones I kind of don’t like listening to. Other than that it really is difficult, and the brackets did not sort out how I liked, with clear choices at top.

Bracket Q

1. “Stairway to Heaven” – When all else fails, go to the timeless rock anthem. I like other Zep songs, but I guess among the mountain of goodies this band provided, this song is at the very peak. Can’t really support the other songs without giving this song its due.
2. “Johnny B. Goode” – Back to the Future aside, this is the foundation for most of rock n’ roll.
3. “Like a Rolling Stone” – If you’re a Dylan fanatic this song is probably perfect. Since I’m just a moderate Dylan fan I have to put it down a few pegs.
4. “Sympathy for the Devil” -- Been annoyed with this song since day one of bracketology.

Bracket R

1. “God Only Knows” – In my top ten songs of all time. Best of my personal favorites that have made the Sweet 16.
2. “A Day in the Life” – Adventerous and innovative regardless of the Beatles name attached to it. Considering Moonbeam’s thoughts on the Beatles, I think this song might be the most un-Beatles sounding of their entire catalog, which is why it’s so fascinating.
3. “One” – Beatiful ballad that is the rare occurrence of a huge hit that hasn’t become dated.
4. “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – Sacrilege! But honestly, I find the music spawned from this song’s explosion (including subsequent Nevermind singles) more interesting that the original song itslef.

Bracket S

1. “London Calling” – The only song is this bracket that I own, yet I would place it fifth in Bracket R if I had the chance. Still a powerful opening track.
2. “Heroes” – Actually I have this song thanks to an mp3 blog. Bowie deserves some credit.
3. “Gimme Shelter” – Stones at their best.
4. “Common People” – I’m sorry, but I only really became familiar with this song because of the William Shatner version, and I’ve probably heard the original Pulp version less. It’s not bad, it’s just my view of the song has been tainted.

BRACKET T

1. “Won’t Get Fooled Again” – Frank Zappa and the Who are pretty much the only classic rock bands I’m really a huge fan of. I have a whole CD folder that is exclusively FZ, the Who, and Radiohead for good measure. This is still my 4th or 5th favorite Who song, but I’m so glad it has made it this far as a cinderella candidate. Go, Who, Go!
2. “Good Vibrations” – More emphasis on audio trickery than lyrical beauty with this one compared to God Only Knows. Still love it.
3. “What’s Going On” -- What’s happening brother? Various chatter and a beautiful sax lick kicks off a calming yet disturbing classic soul song.
4. “Bille Jean” – Ho hum, give me Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough any day.

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - Myth-making folk rock. I don't know what else to say at this point.
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - The best example of '50s rock, and a very, very, very (add about twenty more verys) close second.
3. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - One of my five favorite Stones songs, and for their 1966-72 period they are one of my favorite bands. But just look at the competition.
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - It's a slowly building epic that almost deserves all its acclaim.

BRACKET R
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - Is to the '90s what "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Johnny B. Goode" were to the '60s and '50s respectively.
2. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - The culminating moment on "Sgt. Pepper's." Need more be said?
3. U2, “One” - Actually a little understated for a U2 song, which does it some good.
4. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - Pretty harmonizing, but God only knows how it got this far.

BRACKET S
1. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - The atmosphere they create with this song is dark and exciting, sure to get your adreniline pumping.
2. Pulp, “Common People” - I think I've voted for this second every single time.
3. The Clash, “London Calling” - A great song, but I think it's piggybacked the greatness of the album to these heights.
4. David Bowie, “Heroes” - A very good Bowie song, but perhaps the weakest song to make it this far.

BRACKET T
1. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - I'm going to take perfect rock over perfect pop.
2. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - As I've said, it's perfect. But how do you chose between perfection and perfection?
3. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - I like both of these soul hits about the same, but Gaye wasn't a child molester.
4. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - Before he was what we all know now, be was a Thriller.

BRACKET Q
1. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
2. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”
3. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”
4. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”

I think I had the top 3 above in my list of the top 100 songs when we last did that poll. But that was more out of respect than because they're my personal favourites. I find it difficult to order the three and I'm not sure any of them will be included in my new top 100. "Sympathy", however, has nothing to compete with here.

BRACKET R
1. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - Broadened the definition of the pop song.
2. U2, “One” - Just beautiful
3. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - I wouldn't say that this is less beautiful than "One", but SH2B3.
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - A boast of energy that came out exactly at the right time, but it doesn't fully come up to the same song qualities of the three above.

BRACKET S
All these songs are huge favorites of mine!
1. David Bowie, “Heroes” - Bowie magic.
2. Pulp, “Common People” - Builds up better than any other song I know!
3. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - RS reached a (temporary) higher level with this song.
4. The Clash, “London Calling” - Seems (and feels) like I'm bashing this song all the time, but it's just that the competition is too hard.

BRACKET T
Three huge favorites of mine here...
1. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - I'll say it again: this is the best beat ever!
2. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - My WGO record disappeared, but now I've bought a new copy. Wow, life is good again!
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - The best harmonies ever only reached to #3.
4. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - Next person who writes YYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! will be banned from this forum.

BRACKET Q
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - That is what you can call an anthem ! Great solo, fabulous vocals, both melodic and energic !
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Back to basis !
3. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - classic... too classic !
4. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - found it amazing the first time I heard it, funny the next one, boring the others.

BRACKET R
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - Has any other song expressed more than this one the anger of the youth ? (not any anger in particular, just anger generally speaking) Instant classic, great riff and a great drummer at the same time thrilling and simple
2. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - One of my favourite Beatles song
3. U2, “One” - Just beautiful indeed
4. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - I don't know why it is that much acclaimed, it's not that I don't like it, just that I don't find it amazing.

BRACKET S
1. Pulp, “Common People” - I'm a son of the 90's (well I'm born in the 80's but I don't like much music of that decade). Great synthesizer melody (which is rare), brilliant lyrics and a song going crescendo to lead to a fabulous ending... I'm far from being a fan of Pulp, but this one song is stunning !
2. The Clash, “London Calling” - So british ! One of the real Punk anthem but already give clues about what the Clash could do by broadening their horizon
3. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - A real good Stones song
4. David Bowie, “Heroes” - See "God Only Knows"

BRACKET T
1. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - YYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! (don't kick me, don't kick me !!!!) Probably my favourite "classic rock" song ever, great drum, great singer, great synthesizer (that makes two)...
2. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - The idol of my young teenage years, I really think that many of his songs from Bad to History should be in the AM 3000 (probably between 2000 and 2500 but in it anyway), and Billie Jean is the best achievment of his solo career (but well, I want you back is even greater)
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - Really a fabulous song, which has been one of those who changed my way of listening to music when I have discovered it (yeah, about 8 years ago but...)
4. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - A great soul moment, would not have been #4 in the other brackets

BRACKET Q
Led Zeppelin- Stairway To Heaven
The Rolling Stones-Sympathy for the Devil- The Stones most alt-rock type of song.
Chuck Berry- Johnny B. Goode
Bob Dylan- Like A Rolling Stone- Bob Dylan is great but lyrics are not enough these three songs performance wise is way above Dylan's class.

BRACKET R
The Beatles- A Day in the Life- Neopo and Moonbeam are you related to Piero Scaruffi the Beatles basher who has been disproven. This is the most innovative track on this list. Progressive rock, symphonic prog and avant classical this song was a benchmark. Nothing like it before and after in rock music.
The Beach Boys-God Only Knows- This would have been my second choice on the entire list.
Nirvana-Smells Like Teen Spirit
U2-One

BRACKET S
The Rolling Stones-Gimme Shelter- This is really a no brainer but everyone has opinions.
Pulp-Common People
The Clash-London Calling
David Bowie-Heroes

BRACKET T
The Who-Won’t Get Fooled Again- Rock true spirit is the Who and this song is one of the examples.
The Beach Boys-Good Vibrations- The second most innovative song on the entire list.
Marvin Gaye-What’s Going On
Michael Jackson-Billie Jean

And there is MoonBeam and Neopo

He must be a clever man to see through their equally clever disguise.

Q: No songs that I really care about

1. "Johnny B. Goode"- Good enough to be out in space.
2. "Sympathy for the Devil"- I can handle this.
3. "Like a Rolling Stone"- Not my thing.
4. "Stairway to Heaven"- Bloated and pompous.

R: 3 songs I like

1. "God Only Knows"- I'm a sucker for love.
2. "One"- Not their best, but still very effective.
3. "Smells Like Teen Spirit"- This would have easily won bracket Q.
4. "A Day in the Life"- Eat your heart out, Anthony!

S: 2 songs I like

1. "Heroes"- Simply euphoric.
2. "London Calling"- Again, would have easily won bracket Q.
3. "Common People"- Meh.
4. "Gimme Shelter"- Even bigger meh.

T: 2 songs I like

1. "Billie Jean"- My pick to win it all at this point.
2. "What's Going On"- Set the stage for my favorite album of the 70s, Songs in the Key of Life.
3. "Good Vibrations"- I dislike this one.
4. "Won't Get Fooled Again"- I detest this one.

Wow, your comments are pathetic.

You should consider sticking to your Prince fansites, because it doesn't look like your much of a fan of acclaimed music.

Hey, Anthony, that was kind of rude and uncalled for. It would be one thing if this was some newcomer who had never posted before (although, even then your comments would be a little over the top), but Moonbeam has been a constant presence here for a long time and deserves a little more slack. If his comments are minimal, part of that is probably because he wanted to get his votes in before the deadline.

Maybe so, Harold. But here we are, approaching the end of a round that determines the final four of this tournament (that incidentally, we’ve been at for the past five months), and I just thought that a little more respect was warranted. After all, isn’t this the time when the comments really matter?

But no, all we get is “meh”. I’m certainly not the king of comments, but I try damn hard to write something insightful. And I haven’t been on this site for as long as you have, but there’s a lot of newcomers who don’t know Moonbeams hallowed AM history either, and I’m sure they are seeing the same that I am.

Oh, and there’s been a nine day window for Sweet 16 comments.

Your comments were well beyond ‘kind of rude’ Anthony – they were antagonistic, disrespectful, unwarranted and absolutely reeked of jerkiness as far as I’m concerned. Feel free to say whatever you like, of course – it’s not that serious, just a music message board - but being so needlessly pissy, regardless of your rationale, doesn’t reflect well on anyone as far as I’m concerned.

Anybody who’s read Moonbeam’s reviews at Rateyourmusic wouldn’t deny his eloquence. I’ll happily attest to the fact that he’s one of the few people I’ve met (if only electronically) in my life who I could describe as a genius without wanting to vomit in disgust. He deserves far better than such shabby treatment.

Fuck you.

I think I'm done with this place for a while anyway.

Well, fyi, I just recently joined here and I'm far from done yet.

It seems obvious to me that Moonbeam and Anthony don't get along with each other well, and that they are both lightly inflamable (one sentence or even a single word can start a heated discussion or an accusation). Not necessary, I would say.

For me this forum is fun, hope it will stay that way.

See ya, damosuzuki.

I don't know, maybe I'm taking this whole thing too seriously. Maybe I'm just a serious person. But seeing a "meh" (or anything equivalent) in a Sweet 16 comment is an insult to me and anyone else who has put time and effort into their remarks. It certainly doesn't show any sort of intelligence either.

In the six months I've been on this site, I haven't seen any such "genius" from Moo. All I've seen are "meh's", "yawn" and a whole lotta "but not as much as I detest..." The literary gems (or any insightful discourse, for that matter) have been far from forthcoming.

You know, I've sort of branded myself as Anthony the Antagonist on this forum. It's partly my fault, sure, I'll admit it. But there are people on here who like to give opinions, but don't back them up. And when I come along and ask them (politely, I might add) "why do you say that?", I get shit on for it.

Anthony, I like to think "serious" is not the right wording, I would say you take things way too personal. Take it easy, man.

I appreciated the Coldplay thread you opened earlier today and the comments that followed. And yes, I saw Moonbeam's "beige, yawn" comment too. You know, I can really enjoy or laugh about Moonbeam's refreshing statements now and then. And I still prefer a "meh" comment over no comment at all. Some people don't need many words to express that they don't like a band or artist, right Moonbeam?

Way past bed time here, good night!

"But there are people on here who like to give opinions, but don't back them up. And when I come along and ask them (politely, I might add) "why do you say that?", I get shit on for it."

'Meh' to that, among other comments.

As of these songs are masterpieces, titans in their genres, epitome of their era, etc., it's easier for me to explain my rankings by describing things I don't like with each of the songs. That being said...

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - Ideally, I like my songs to have a little bit more rock than this. Other than that, flawless
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Sounds just the slightest bit dated. Sounds just the slightest bit formulaic. Of course, both are to be expected for a such a legendary 49-year old song.
3. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - Fairly straightforward lyrics: We get it Mick, you're the devil. We figured that out fairly quickly. Also, a 2 minute playout is a little excessive, no?
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - An indulgence in excess, which means that it's an amazing song which happens to be a tad too long, a tad too bloated, and a tad to mythological.

BRACKET R
1. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - It's not so much "rock" as it is "art". Which is as much of a criticism as I can make.
2. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - The previously mentioned middle section sticks out, simple because it's not as transcedent as the rest of the song.
3. U2, “One” - A bit too syrupy. Has resulted in far too many mediocre covers, advertisements, and parodies by Bank of America executives.
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - You know, I don't care how acclaimed the song is - When it takes plenty of close listens to understand what Cobain is singing about, that's a problem. Which against this competition is a pretty big strike.

BRACKET S
1. David Bowie, “Heroes” - Lyrics are fairly simplistic. Which I realize is sort of the point of the song, but I can have illogical opinions if I want to.
2. Pulp, “Common People” - Like a number of songs here, I find it a bit too repetitive; after the 3-and-a-half minute mark, there isn't that much new to the song. Other than that, I got nothing.
3. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - Great beat, great mood, but never reaches that point where I want to get out of my seat and start moving to it. For whatever reason, I really like the first part of the song, but by about the 3/4 point, I'm ready to move on.
4. The Clash, “London Calling” - Too straightforward. Also, hard to appreciate this song independent of the rise of punk, the band itself, and the album itself.

BRACKET T
1. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - I have to pretend that Michael Jackson has been a figment of the media's imagination since 1990. If I can do that, this song has no faults.
2. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - Unsuprisingly, I find this too long for it's own good. Leaving that aside, the final minute might be my favourite minute in all of rock.
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - As an example of studio genius? Perfection. As a song? Disjointed.
4. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - I like this as much as I can like any souul music. Sadly, soul is like scissors for me - it loses out to rock every time.

Goodness. I never knew my comments would be taken so seriously. I've written about my feelings for many of these songs previously, and I thought a short comment would be less inflammatory than a long diatribe. I can go into further detail if you so wish.

As for my interaction with Anthony, I have never, ever directed a pejorative comment toward any poster here, and I'm not about to start. My comment of "eat your heart out, Anthony" was meant to be a joke, toying with what I felt was a resolved issue.

Let me add that suggesting I leave the forum is not exactly the same as politely asking me to back up my opinions. I'm sorry if my curt responses get you wound up- I'm not trying to provoke anyone. I apologize about the Coldplay comment, even if those two words do pretty much summarize my feelings for them as a band.

Thank you to Damosuzuki for jumping to my defense. He is the perfect example of the reason I come here. I disagree with his opinions very often (actually, most of the time- he ranked Bowie last- LAST!- out of the top 20 acclaimed artists), but I adore the way he writes about music, and I feel I greatly benefit from reading his posts. I feel the same way about many people here, including Anthony. In fact, the only posts I genuinely take issue with (besides the mudslinging ones) are the ones that spam the board. Everyone else seems to contribute a lot of knowledge and passion about music, which is what brought us all here.

I haven't exactly been graced with a lot of free time lately- I'm about to start a PhD in statistics and have been working as a full-time lecturer. That is probably why I haven't produced as many lengthy, carefully constructed posts lately.

I don't agree with ANYONE on here. One week I'll think a poster is brilliant, the next week they're an idiot (for not giving Sympathy for the Devil the respect it deserves). But getting personal with people, to the point of insulting them, is just silly. AM's only good if it's light-hearted, music-nerdery. There's no basis for causing sh!t. Starting shit on AM is like trying to stand up on jello. There's just no ground. Besides, we only know each other through the five or six sentences we through up here at a time. This isn't exactly the place to start judging character.

Yes, let's close this little argument with those words from jonmarck.

Cheers!

I didn't take your comment as a joke, Moonbeam. I just thought you were being a smartass by ranking the Beatles last, because you know that I'm a Beatles fan and the vote seemed to be made for no other reason than to piss me off. My mistake for misinterpreting the joke? Guess so.

This is a first, but I agree with jonmarck... well, to a point. Insults don't belong here, and I apologize because I've been guilty of one or two recently. I enjoy coming here for the "music-nerdery", and I don't want to be known as an asshole. My only excuse for it is that music is such a personal thing, so it's hard to not take others' comments personally. Not only that, but when I open my mouth, even when I think I'm being completely diplomatic, there's an onslaught of people against me.

Actually, no. It's not the comments that I take personally, it's the lack of comments. Something like "Beige. Yawn." - I have no clue what that means, Moonbeam; it just doesn't tell anyone much. And don't even get me started on "meh" - it's even worse! Because it's the verbal equivalent of shrugging your shoulders, to denote almost a complete indifference. I just don't understand how a person could be indifferent to a classic Beatles tune, OR a classic Stones tune.

Anyway, I guess I need to lighten up. Sorry guys.

Anthony, what is diplomatic about suggesting someone should leave the forum? I've donated money to this place, and I feel that I should have the same rights that everyone else has here. I'm sorry if my opinions stir you up- they're not meant to. Moreover, if I feel indifferent about a "classic" song, that is every bit my right.

About Coldplay, my "beige" comment means that I think they are the musical equivalent of the color beige- boring, neutral and inoffensive. I feel that they appeal to the lowest common denominator and their music seems to be coffee table fodder- stuff to put on display that would arouse much of a murmur from anyone. And don't get me started on their bastardization of Kraftwerk's brilliant "Computer Love"!

That should read, "stuff to put on display that would NOT arouse much of a murmur from anyone."

And as for the Beatles comment, I would have ranked them last regardless of any personal vendetta, which would be completely ridiculous. I simply like the other three songs better!

Anthony, i ask what you wish to accomplish with such comments? i can't think of a single answer that won't make me think less of you as a person. hopefully you can. who are you to recommend who should and shouldn't post on this forum?

if for some reason you actually care about moonbeam's comments, then he's probably commented on them all before in the previous rounds. maybe you should go searching.

Wow. I stay away from the forum for a day and look what happens.

It looks like this thing has pretty well died down, and I don’t wish to stir it up again. In my capacity as Your Moderator, I’ll just second jonmarck’s post from last night, which seems the most deft analysis of this controversy.

I bring this up because I’m pretty sure that Survivor will be rather more likely than bracketology to agitate people. Survivor’s going very well so far, and I really don’t want it to degenerate into name-calling; otherwise, we’ll never get through it.

Viva music-nerdery.