The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Recent Discoveries

Thanks to the public library I am catching up on a bunch of music I might have put aside exploring if I was into my old habits of buying older classics when they were on sale.

Biggest contenders for old discoveries that will likely be on a revised all-time top 100 are Beach Boys Surf's Up and the Zombies Odyssey and Oracle.

Sly and the Family Stone's There's a Riot Going On is a difficult listen but still is intriguing.

Brightblack Morning Light and Be Your Own Pet are new discoveries of new music. Don't listen to both albums back to back though, your head might explode because of how different they sound.

Thanks to schleuse's bracketology I 'discovered' the following oldie albums:
- Sounds Of Silence from Simon And Garfunkel: knew the album opener and other albums from the duo, but did not own this album ... yet. Good album.
- 3 albums from the Mamas & The Papas to keep (California) dreamin'. These albums are OK.

Some other older artists, that I discovered just over the last few years, should have known much longer and have made some pretty good stuff, are: Ray Charles, Nick Drake, Neu!, My Bloody Valentine and Blonde Redhead.

And when it comes to artists, making their debut in 2007, my recommendation would be The Aliens.

Well, so far then, the year is not over yet and my collection of newcomers is still quite limited.

I just listened to Loose Booty and wow... I guess "Shadrach" by the Beastie Boys is just going to be replaced from my top 100 songs by this one, since everything I adored in Shadrach comes from it.

Moonbeam, if you're just getting into Can through Monster Movie and Ege Bamyase then I recommend you try to get hold of Delay 1968 next-an absolutely wonderful collection of early material.Also check out Can Sountracks, a somewhat patchier effort but worth it for the transcendent Mother Sky-probably the greatest track ever recorded by Can, or anyone else for that matter.I never really got into Future Days as much for some reason-can't quite fathom its reputation as the band's best, despite its obvious influence on ambient music