The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Sweet Little 16

Here we go. Not much to say here, except:

The winners of these four brackets will be the bracketology Final Four!

I know these are hard choices, but you’ve got plenty of time: ballots are due at midnight, WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 14 (yeah, the schedule’s a little different this time).

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”
8. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
9. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”
49. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”

BRACKET R
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
20. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life”
53. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”
92. U2, “One”

BRACKET S
39. The Clash, “London Calling”
55. Pulp, “Common People”
66. David Bowie, “Heroes”
146. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”

BRACKET T
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”
19. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”
27. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean”
118. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again”

Of course, if you’re still keeping track of your own personal tournament, let us know what your own Final Four turns out to be.

Me, I can hardly wait to see what we end up with…the long months of working through this project are about to pay off. Allons-y!

Re: Bracketology: Sweet Little 16

BRACKET Q
1- Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”
2- Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”
3- Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
4- The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”

BRACKET R
1- Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
2- The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”
3- U2, “One”
4- The Beatles, “A Day in the Life”

BRACKET S
1- David Bowie, “Heroes”
2- Pulp, “Common People”
3- The Clash, “London Calling”
4- The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”

BRACKET T
1- Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”
2- Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean”
3- The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”
4- The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again”

Actually,the choices here look surprisingly easy(for me anyway)

My caveat: All 16 are at least good, most are great. When I criticize the also-ran's, it's justifying my vote more than trying to state that any of the songs are bad.

BRACKET Q
1) Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” (This is the closest call for a #1 on my ballot this round, and it was not very close. The definitive rock n' roll song from the definitive rock n' roll artist loses to the song and artist (jointly with the Beatles) who pushed rock further than the definition established by Berry.)
2) Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” (And yet... what a definition. Little Richard never laid it down this cool. Brother Ray was too meticulous in his soul to be considered rock. Elvis didn't have these kind of chops. Jerry Lee almost got there, but it's too hard to lug around a piano.)
3) The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” (Tough call between the two bottom contenders, neither of which are close to the best in their respective canons. In the end, Jagger's evocation of evil is more convincing than Plant's evocation of whatever the hell he's singing about.)
4) Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (The sweep and the build of the song are quite good. That's undercut by the silly words and silly vocals.)

BRACKET R
1) The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” (I can't believe that my personal sweet 16 doesn't have any Beatles. This had been the hardest cut... went down to "Subterranean Homesick Blues." No problem cruising to victory here, though.)
2) The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” (God Only Knows why the Beach Boys are so beloved. They have three great songs: "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Don't Worry Baby," and "God Only Knows." They have a bunch of fun, silly songs. They have an album that hangs together nicely (and was admittedly important historically for what they were attempting to do with the album format, but was surpassed within a year). They sang together nicely (but then again, so did the Byrds at the same time, and they did so with better songs). That's about it. As for this song, it is nearly an amazing song. However, as I have indicated previously, it is marred by Brian Wilson's amateurish orchestral break down in the middle -- killing the flow of the song.)
3) Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (Strong hard rock, although Lithium is better. The lyrics are meaningless to me. I often like nonsense lyrics, but the "albino, mosquito" lyrics do not paint a picture for me.)
4) U2, “One” (As I said last round, a repetitive song that overcomes the reptitiveness by the build and by the Edge.)

BRACKET S (Tight bracket... below the runaway leader.)
1) The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” (Blows away three great songs in this bracket. The Stones' greatest acheivement. This and "Common People" are the only songs that are in both my personal and the main tourney's Sweet 16.)
2) Pulp, “Common People” (Very tight call between "Common People" and "London Calling." The final la-la-la's give Pulp the extra point.)
3) The Clash, “London Calling” (While I usually like the songs that shift in their dynamics, I don't mind the relentless, changeless martial beat of "London Calling" at all. That IS what the song is about.)
4) David Bowie, “Heroes” (I am the grandson of Holocaust survivors, who met and fell in love in the camps. This song makes me think of them. (Particularly since I have a recording of this sung by Bowie in German.) However, divorcing it from my personal feelings, I regretfully have to say that in this bracket, it is an also-ran.)

BRACKET T
1) Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” (Gaye is frequently too smooth a singer for my tastes. Somehow on this track and "Inner City Blues" and "Mercy Mercy Me," the smoothness is not irritating, but rather lovely. Probably it is the contrast with the subject matter. When Marvin goes all loverman, the smoothness seems a tad forced.)
2) Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” (Supple groove. It's helpful to remember how grooveless most of the other hits of this era were, to appreciate this song. Michael, with Quincy's help, provides one final throwback to his great childhood before self-destructing personally AND musically.)
3) The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” (I watched a documentary on the Who last night. It crystalized my problems with this song, and this album. Pete Townshend stated that with Roger Daltry's assumption of the Tommy character while touring after the rock opera came out, Roger came into his own as a co-equal in the band with Pete, Keith and John. The angry, stuttering Daltry of the early singles opened up and became a more emotionally expansive and (Townshend believes) powerful singer. This made me realize why the 70's Who sucked compared to the 60's Who... Roger Daltry. He's an average blues belter. His limitations were less pronounced when he was properly playing third fiddle to Townshend's songwriting and the incredible rhythm section. He rose above those limitations when he sang with a mod snear (My Generation), or when he didn't try to do too much and let the song be the star (I Can See for Miles, Pictures of Lily). Tommy, which I love, is at its worst when Daltry tries too hard and wavers out of tune slightly. While Roger does better than those moments here on "Won't Get Fooled Again", his heightened prominence in this song makes it only good, and not great like their earlier singles.)
4. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” (All that said, why did I put "Won't Get Fooled Again" above "Good Vibrations"? The charitable way of putting it would be: I love the early Who stuff, and putting them 4th below the Beach Boys would not have been cool. (Although this brings up a funny story. When the rest of the Who met Keith, he had bleached blond hair because of his love for the Beach Boys (which made an unfavorable first impression on the rest of the band until they heard him drum).) The uncharitable version: Am I strategic voting against the seemingly invincible "Good Vibrations"? I take the Fifth.)

My Personal Bracketology Sweet 16:

Q: 1) Superstition, 2) Ziggy Stardust, 3) I Can't Explain, 4) Take Me Out

R: 1) Try a Little Tenderness, 2) Subterranean Homesick Blues, 3) Sex Machine, 4) Family Affair

S: 1) Gimme Shelter, 2) I Want You Back, 3) Common People, 4) Let’s Stay Together

T: 1) I Only Have Eyes for You, 2) Cannonball, 3) Loser, 4) Will You Love Me Tomorrow

OK
BRACKET Q
1)Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone:He faces easier competition here than he should have - blows these 3 away(some songs would beat it though)
2)Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven:Great epic for the ages,though overplayed - slightly overrated probably
3)Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode:As far as influential songs go,this must be about top of the mountain - Roll Over Beethoven just as good...
4)Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil:I've never understood this song's appeal - how it got into the sweet 16 is baffling

Bracket R
1)Beach Boys - God Only Knows:Sheer genius,great vocals,spot on harmonies - perfection - and Schwah Pet Sounds surpassed within a year? I don't know if it was ever surpassed,let alone in one year
2)Beatles - A Day In The Life:This has to be their greatest moment - certainly head and shoulders above most of their songs and probably a whole body length ahead of the other songs on Sgt. Peppers
3)U2 - One:Appreciate the great message of this song,but not a listening favourite
4)Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit:Really overrated and I just can't see why this and the album are revered as such a turning point in 20th century music - exactly what did they create?

Bracket S
1)Pulp - Common People:Very tight call between this and Bowie - this has a bit more depth to it...
2)David Bowie - Heroes:Some of his finest ever vocals over the top of a masterpiece of a backing track
3)Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter:Probably their finest moment - loads of other artist's greatest moments are ahead of it though
4)The Clash - London Calling:Great but not a listening favourite so the obvious choice for #4 here

Bracket T
1)Marvin Gaye - What's Going On:This is what perfection sounds like - the greatest song ever by a black artist
2)Beach Boys - Good Vibrations:Can't flaw this masterpiece - after 40 years,still thrilling - love the alternate versions as well on Smiley Smile/Wild Honey rerelease
3)Michael Jackson - Billie Jean:Flawless production,great vocals - the driving force behind some 50 million sales for Thriller
4)The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again:A bit of an odd choice for the sweet 16 - not usually thought of as that level - outclassed here,still a great song off a great album though

My personal top 4 was:
1)John Lennon - Imagine
2)The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
3)Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
4)Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Today is lyrics-day, so a lyric in every comment!

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - From the simple start it builds and builds until that brilliant chorus. "How does it feel, to be ... like a rolling stone?" It feels goddamn good. The best song ever written, the best song ever performed and the best song ever produced. No doubt about it.
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - This song will still sound good in 2107. As timeless as a song will ever get. "Go Johnny go!" Indeed.
3. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - Pure Jagger enthousiasm combined with brilliant lyrics as well as a damn fine tune. "What's my naaame?!" It's Jagger baby.
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - I heard a few people say they preferred the Dolly Parton version. I checked it out, and it was nice.. but seriously.. better than Led Zeppelin? No way. Still, not quite as good as the other 3.

BRACKET R
1. U2, “One” - Such a beautiful song, from the first notes this song makes me feel good however shitty I feel. And I felt shitty just now, after listening to Nirvana. But then Bono sang "Is it getting better/Or do you feel the same?" A lot better, thank you.
2. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - "I may not always love you, but [sic] God only knows what I'd be without you." I may not always love this song, sometimes it's a little cheesy, but right now I love it. Probably the best love song ever written.
3. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - Since the Beatles are shitty lyricists, no lyric here. Not a bad song for the pschycedelia period, but it doesn't stand a chance against the competition in the final 16. Fortunately for the Fab 4 however, the master of shit is in the same bracket.
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - The representation of a genre that is a disgrace to music, and I'm friggin glad Cobain died. He can't sing worth shit, he doesn't make good music, the album sucks and the song is one of the worst Nirvana ever made. There, it's out. I HATE THIS SONG. "I feel stupid and contagious" You are stupid alright Kurt.

BRACKET S
1. Pulp, “Common People” - Not just the best song of the last 25 years, it's one of the greatest songs ever sung. It starts off so gentle, whispering "Are you sure?", and builds up to a ferocious "Watching roaches climb the wall/If you called your daddy he could stop it all". Brilliant.
2. The Clash, “London Calling” - I've mentioned it before, this is as close to perfection as a song can get. That doesn't mean it's necessarily one of the best song ever though, although it probably is.
3. David Bowie, “Heroes” - "We can beat them, forever and ever" Sorry Bowie, you can't. This song deserves its place in the top 16, but this is as far as I'm willing to take it.
4. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” Every time I hear this song it gets better, it might have a chance of cracking my top 100 soon. Really, "It's just a shot away." Ok, that one was lame, but I couldn't come up with anything better. Sorry.

BRACKET T
1. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - As close to perfection as The Clash got with London Calling, and with an even more contagious beat. "Gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations/A happenin' with her" Indeed, keep it coming.
2. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - Good songs are never too long. The Who transform Orwell's Animal Farm into a song and do it marvelously at that. There's the fights in the street, there's the revolution and then "Meet the new boss/Same as the old boss". I forgot who mentioned this, but that's lyrics at its finest indeed. A fine song to play on Guy Fawkes Night, even though Fawkes didn't quite get past stage 1.
3. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - Undoubtedly Michael Jackson's finest moment. "People always told me be careful of what you do" Indeed Michael, you should have taken your own advice. A true loss to music.
4. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - "Mother, mother/There's too many of you crying. Brother, brother brother/There's far too many of you dying." The best protest song ever written, but not quite enough to beat the 3 competitors.

Personal bracketology winners:
Bracket Q: Like A Rolling Stone
Bracket R: Born To Run
Bracket S: Common People
Bracket T: Good Vibrations

Midaso -

Revolver. That is all.

By the way, I have to admit I am overstating my position on the Beach Boys to stir things up. I do like Pet Sounds, and listen to it often. I just don't think that album is close to the #1 of all time... the weight of an enormous critical consensus be damned.

BRACKET Q
1. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”
2. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - I'm even surprised at myself for ranking Sympathy over Like a Rolling Stone, but here's what it came down to: which song could I live without? The thing about Like a Rolling Stone is that ALL of Dylan's songs from Bringing it Back Home to Blonde on Blonde were like that, and I don't think Like a Rolling Stone stands too far above the rest of them. In fact I'd even put Subterranean Homesick Blues over it as the best representation of that period. Sympathy for the Devil, on the other hand, is entirely unique. There was a never a song like it before (though Paint it, Black tried) and many have failed to copy it since. It took the dark, brooding focus of old folk songs and injected it with rock and roll energy. It wasn't just dangerous. It was downright evil.
3. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Go Johnny Go! This song is the epitome of rock 'n' roll.
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - Here the songs flaws catch up with it. It's ridiculous, meaningless, overwrought and guitar-centric. I don't even think it sounds very good. Too muddy.

BRACKET R
1. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life”
2. U2, “One” - This was a tougher choice than the last bracket because I like these songs less. I don't consider either to be the group's best work (give me I am the Walrus, Tomorrow Never Knows or non-weepy U2 anyday). The thing about One is that there really isn't anything to it, and it's so easy to replicate (heck, even U2 replicated it with "Walk On"). On the other hand A Day in the Life is in a category all on its own. Sure, it might not hold together as cohesively as a song, but it sure is more fun to listen to. Historically speaking A Day in the Life had far greater (and more preferable) influence. I wonder how much of the golden age of music (66-79) would have happened without this song.
3. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - A jolt of rock energy so believable it instantly ended the dark reign of fake music. Michael Jackson would never be the same.
4. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - This song never caught me. Maybe I'm just not in the type of situation to be caught by its charm. If I had twice my age I might like it more. I like its use in Love Actually though. (If this were Tomorrow Never Knows we'd be playing a whole different ballgame)

BRACKET S
1. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - Many point to this track as the sign that the 60's had ended and the morally-trying 70's were on the horizon. It captured a feel and mood like none have since. The Rolling Stones were probably the only group of millionaires that sounded like they still talked to people who worked for minimum wage.
2. David Bowie, “Heroes” - If Bowie ever had an anthem; a song that people could point to and say, "That's Bowie", Heroes would be it. Still, it's tough to ask one song to capture Bowie, and though Heroes does the best job there is so much more to the man left unexplained.
3. Pulp, “Common People” - Jarvis reminds of one of those arty loafers who spend their lives using their charm to leech off emotionally-susceptible prey. His skill doesn't live up to his pretension. He got lucky.
4. The Clash, “London Calling” - One of the lesser tracks off the album in my opinion. Good bassline though.

BRACKET T
1. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - Chuck Berry showed us why rock was fun. The Who showed us why it mattered that it was fun.
2. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - Jackson's redeeming moment. It perfectly married the Motown funk of his childhood with the dance-pop that would carry his career.
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - Another Beach Boys track that I never really cared about.
4. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - If you ask me there are a lot of other songs that accomplish what this one attempts much more effectively.

BRACKET Q
1. LED ZEPPELIN, “STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN”: The centerpiece of Zeppelin IV. A majestic opus of delicate acoustic arpeggios, ethereal flute and remarkable vocals - and that’s just the first half. The final three minutes is a full-blown tornado of electric guitar, bass, drums and a screaming 22 year-old lead singer. A song that deliberately and skillfully builds through several melodies and tempo changes until it gives way to a crescendo of Bonham’s thunderous drumming and Page’s Telecaster virtuosity. (yes, it was a Tele.) It’s not an example of great lyricism, but up against “gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove”, it sounds pretty intelligent. And considering the lyrics were written in the studio on the day of the recording, it’s even more impressive (and there’s probably a metaphor or two Planted in there, but it’s anyone’s guess what they are.) Yes, it has been overplayed to death on FM radio for the past 35 years, becoming an unfortunate victim of its own success, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that this 8+ minute-long juggernaut is entertaining from beginning to end, and never even remotely comes close to sounding boring. A song that progresses but never reverts; undisputed as one of the greatest and most legendary songs in rock history. One that still holds up today and an excellent example of the beauty and complexity that rock music can achieve.
2. BOB DYLAN, “LIKE A ROLLING STONE”: “But you'd better take your diamond ring/You'd better pawn it, bitch.” (That’s what I always hear anyway.) I’ve already written everything I can (or want to) about this song. It’s a stunning tour-de-force, no question, but the guitarist in me needs to get the Led out from time to time, and Stairway does just that.
3. CHUCK BERRY, “JOHNNY B. GOODE”: Full credit to Charlie Berry: a true musical pioneer who could rock the ES-335 like nobody’s business. But at the end of the day, this is an impressive song that I never get a craving to hear; unlike several songs in this round that if it came down to it, I’d be willing to have my tongue tied to a tailpipe and be dragged a half-mile naked through a field of broken glass just to hear them….
4. THE ROLLING STONES, “SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL”: …but this isn’t one of them. I find it rather mystifying (and a tad amusing) that I can love a Stones song like “Gimme Shelter” as much as I do (see Bracket S), and at the same time find this song by the same group to be completely unrewarding, if not absolutely terrible on all levels.

BRACKET R
1. U2, “ONE”: A raw, emotional ballad from U2’s most moving, most personal, and most consistent album. Not a song that was intended to be played at weddings, but became one due to the song’s call for unity being misinterpreted in favor of the personal sense rather than the universal. It’s the song that saved U2 and became their greatest song. Or is it the other way around – their greatest song happened to be the one that saved them? Chicken or the egg, I guess. Either way, this is one song that I can never see myself getting tired of. (I know I’ve mentioned this before, but for any of you looking for an amazing live version of “One”, the ZooTV: Live from Sydney performance is incredible. Bono wrings every last drop of emotion out of the song, at one point relates himself to Jesus, AND throws in an extra verse at the end to boot.)
2. THE BEATLES, “A DAY IN THE LIFE”: I really can’t add anything more to what I wrote in round #2, except, I’m a bit surprised to see only one Beatles song here in the third round, when I expected at least a couple to make it this far. But I guess if the Fab Four are going to be represented by a single song, it might as well be this amazing piece of work. Favorite moments: “Somebody spoke and I went into a dream/Ahhhhh” at 2’49” and those ominous strings at 3’12”. Oh, who am I kidding – the entire song is one giant favorite moment.
3. NIRVANA, “SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT”: Looks like Kurdt, the Foo Fighters guy and that other schmo decided to show up here to the Sweet 16 dance, and by doing so introduce a bit of the criminal element to the proceedings. It’s grungy, it’s loud, and parents hated it. The song certainly belongs here in round #3 (Midaso – if you did a bit of due diligence, you’d know exactly what this song did for music) but I hasten to say that the Cobain-train stops here; I can’t put this watershed higher than two of my all-time favorites.
4. THE BEACH BOYS, “GOD ONLY KNOWS”: A brilliantly written song with some remarkable harmonic arrangements, but it just doesn’t match the power of the other three. Plus, the lovey-dovey sentimentality really grates on the nerves after a while.

BRACKET S
1. THE ROLLING STONES, “GIMME SHELTER”: A harrowing classic, and in my opinion, a rare instance where the Stones got it right. Features a classic moment of rock n’ roll spontaneity - Clayton’s voice cracks near 3’02” and someone (Mick?) cries out “woooo!” in the background (which, in a way, reminds me of the ending of NMH’s “Oh Comely”.)
2. THE CLASH, “LONDON CALLING”: I’ve been a bit harsh on this song throughout the tournament, and I need to make amends. It’s a great tale of a city in the throws of catastrophe, but I’m just not in love with the album – which perhaps has affected my voting. So, I’m giving it three points here. Ahhh, that feels good.
3. DAVID BOWIE, “HEROES”: I just can’t champion this one like I could if it was “Changes” or “Suffragette” (or even “Ziggy” for that matter.) It’s not a great song, but it’s not terrible either.
4. PULP, “COMMON PEOPLE”: This is what you people have chosen to represent 90s Britpop? What a crock of shite.

BRACKET T
1. MICHAEL JACKSON, “BILLIE JEAN”: I woke up on Sunday morning, grabbed my coffee, sat down at the ol’ C64 and nodded in silent appreciation when I saw that the “Dock of the Bay” had crumbled under the tsunami of Wacko Jacko and Quincy. In my own way, it’s poetic justice for “Live Forever” not making it to the second round (which, if I didn’t make it clear before, really bothered me.) Anywho, back to the task at hand… “Billie Jean”. The shining moment from a pop star at the peak of his career. More importantly, however, a pop star who had extreme talents as a performer and songwriter which allowed him significant control over his own career. A career which, unfortunately, took a nosedive at some point in the 90s, but in the decade previous he was on top, and this song – which WASN’T written around a boardroom table - is the proof.
2. THE WHO, “WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN”: It appears this forum likes their rock songs LONG, but I’m not complaining. Townshend manages to capture both the visceral and the rational perfectly in this rocker featuring some incredible synth work. Bust out the air-windmill – this song rocks!
3. MARVIN GAYE, “WHAT’S GOING ON”: Even if “One” is an incredible anthem, Bono still can’t sell me on the idea of brotherly love. And if he can’t, Marvin sure as hell won’t be able to either.
4. THE BEACH BOYS, “GOOD VIBRATIONS”: The voices in Wilson’s head might’ve persuaded him to craft this studio-as-an-instrument mindf**k, but they forgot to tell him to write some decent lyrics to go along with it. When his lyrical pen wasn’t inking sappy sentimentality (Bracket R), it was being downright silly. Go down the list in this bracket, and this one’s lyrical unshrewdness sticks out like a sore thumb.

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”- Bob got an easy bracket...well not easy but to me this is far better than the rest of these. That's what you get for being the most acclaimed song ever I suppose.
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” I've always found it interesting how this is Chuck Berry's biggest song and one of the most recognized rock and roll songs of all time. First, a lot of Berry's songs sound exactly like this and even copy the same riff. Second, it's just a story song. It's really simple and there were other songs that captured his guitar playing better. I really like a lot of Chuck Berry and I think a lot of his songs were more revolutionary for rock music than this one. Johnny B. Goode is a good song but shouldn't be the example for the origins of rock and roll or even Chuck Berry's music.
3. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”- There are some good parts and it's fun to listen to for awhile but it gets really annoying. It's also really annoying how this is considering a landmark in songwriting.
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”- I think guitar players who frequent music stores have a better understanding of how stupid this song is and who the core audience is. More than Nirvana, this song might be the reason 1 million bad bands exist.

BRACKET R
1. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life”- This is tough but I've gotta go with the only Beatles song left even though it's not my favorite Beatles song. God Only Knows equals this but this is appreciating the greatness that is the Beatles and by no means does this song not deserve to be in the final four.
2. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”- Well, the Beach Boys kind of got the raw end here. It would have won Q and S. Oh well.
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”- Totally overpowered by two greats. This isn't even in my top four on Nevermind. This is another song that doesn't do a good job of representing the artist. Most people I know who are Nirvana fans wouldn't consider this their masterpiece. Even when I was in middle school this isn't the song that my friends and I kept playing.
2. U2, “One”- This doesn't belong here and is worse than every song in the Sweet 16 by a very large margin. Sorry. I'm really mad that this made it in.

BRACKET S
1. The Clash, “London Calling”- The defining song of punk rock and there are a lot of great songs to choose from. As good as some other Clash songs might be, I don't think they ever came close to duplicating the greatness of this one.
2. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”- I'd like to say this is a close second but it really isn't. There's no way you can put this social/political song above the Clash's.
3. Pulp, “Common People”- Brit-pop has nothing on to those two songs. It's still a great song and the only Brit-Pop song that never gets old. In fact, I don't even know if I even want to lump this in with that group because it's so much better and really sounds nothing like the rest of the pack. Plus, it still sounds fresh today.
4. David Bowie, “Heroes”- I'd love to have a Bowie song in the final four but it wouldn't be this one. Not even close.

BRACKET T
1. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean”- There are few songs that make me excited everytime I hear it. This is one. I don't think I get goosebumps anymore but man is this song amazing.
2. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”- I can take corny songs...one of my favorite bands is the Herman's Hermits. Corniness doesn't bother me obviously. But, when lyrics are corny while the song is trying to be a work of art it bothers me. The song sounds awesome and was really an achievement, but those lyrics always make me cringe.
3. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”- I don't really have anything more to say about this one. Like I said before, it doesn't sound that emotional to me. It just sounds like Marvin singing any old song. Listen to him sing Can I Get a Witness. That's the emotion that would make me love this song.
4. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again”- I sense a theme. Every 4th place song is way behind the pack. The Who are great as long I'm listening to them pre-1969.

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - Okay, I may like Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks more than Highway 61 Revisited, and I may like “Tangled Up In Blue” and “Ballad of a Thin Man” more than “Like A Rolling Stone”, but that doesn’t make this one of the most excellent songs ever. You just have to love the way this song builds up, and how everytime Bob says “How does it feel?”, it hits a little harder every time.
2. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - So much better than “Whole Lotta Love”, I can’t begin to describe. It’s majestic, bringing you into this folky world of fantasy, and the story plays out just like a fairy tale would. Every verse, it gets more angry, more realistic, until finally, that solo, and that final verse, all leading to Robert Plant quivering “...and she’s buying... the stairway... to heaven”
3. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - Not my favorite Stones song, but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t get the job done. In this song, Jagger IS the devil, portraying him as a risky businessman, and how he was there for everything. Brilliant.
4. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Classic. Sad I have to place it last. Still, what energy Chuck put into this one.

BRACKET R
1. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - A Day in the Life is just too good. It’s the best song ever made. It’s so sad, but strangely uplifting, it’s mysterious, it’s intense. It’s everything you want it to be. What other song can you say that about?
2. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - ...Certainly not this one. And this is my third favorite song of all time. No song guarantyess to rock out harder than this one.
3. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - Third place is way too low for this one. This one happens to be my tenth favorite song. It’s strange that my only top ten songs this week happen to be in the same bracket. Anyway, this song proved that Brian Wilson was a greater producer than Phil Spector. I’m still in awe of it. And those lyrics starting out with “I may not always love you...” assures you that this is not just another love song.
4. U2, “One” - Definitely one of U2’s best. “One” finds itself between brilliant and corny. It’s a rough place to be, fortunately for “One”, it pulls it off.

BRACKET S
1. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - This and “Paint It Black” are pretty much tied for my favorite Stones song. I’d actually give the edge to this, because the way the song creeps in, it enters your mind and gives headway to the apocolypticef lings associated with this song. In fact, this IS the sound of the end of the world, and “Gimme Shelter” almost makes that sound like a good thing.
2. Pulp, “Common People” - I’m listening to this right now as I’m righting this. I actually have a feeling that this may be the best song that Britpop (I’m not counting Radiohead as Britpop) produced besides The Stone Roses’ “I Wanna Be Adored”. The lyrics are flat-out amazing. Every time I listen to them, I feel like giving Jarvis Cocker a standing ovation. Amazing.
3. The Clash, “London Calling” - The defining punk rock song, even moreso than “Anarchy in the U.K.” or “Blitzkrieg Bop”. Such a great way to open the album of the same name. Shame it’s not as good as the other two.
4. David Bowie, “Heroes” - If “Life On Mars?” were here instead, it would be a completely different story

BRACKET T
1. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - When you think of “Rock and Roll”, this is one of the songs that immediately pop up into the head. It’s eight minutes long, but it doesn’t feel pretentious. The synthesizers hypnotize the listeners to catch them off guard once Roger Daltry does his iconic scream.
2. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - What a danceable track. And M.J. does give us his best song in Billie Jean, which never fails to amaze.
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - Not quite “God Only Knows” level, but lets face it, how much is?
4. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - Much better than “I Heard it through the Grapevine”, nand dare I say, deserving of the hype, but it’s possibly the weakest of the “Sweet Sixteen”

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” – No. 1 by a longshot, but will have a tougher go next round.
2. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - Running out of things to say here. Bracketology fatigue setting in!!
3. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Honestly, I appreciate it more for its place in the pantheon of rock and roll, than for how it sounds today—which is still good.
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” – No. 4 by a longshot. Way out of its league. No 16 in Sweet 16.

BRACKET R
1. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” – Beautiful melody, great delivery and instrumentation. Timeless.
2. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” – groundbreaking, but not as timeless as G.O.K. (Maybe trying just a bit too hard?)
3. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – A nice run but time to go home.
4. U2, “One” – A nice and pretty hearfelt snoozer.

BRACKET S
1. Pulp, “Common People” – it’s funny; it says something important without being preachy; and it sounds great. And bonus points for being the newest old song on this list.
2. The Clash, “London Calling” – My favorite album of all-time, but not my favorite song of all-time. Not quite as entertaining a listen as Common People.
3. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” – My third favorite Stones song behind Sympathy and Let it Bleed.
4. David Bowie, “Heroes” – Good song, tough competition. Generally, I think Bowie is a little over-rated on A.M.

BRACKET T
1. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - Sublime.
2. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” – My sentimental favorite is destined to finish 3rd or 4th here, but I still love it. Surprised there are not more cover versions of this song…
3. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” – A stunningly great pop song, but missing the “X” factor.
4. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” – Just a bit too dated against this heady competition.

My personal final four (2 by Dylan and 2 by Beach Boys): Like a Rolling Stone, God Only Knows, All Along The Watchtower (performed by Hendrix), Good Vibrations.

Holy cripes, this is difficult! I had to listen to most of these songs at least three times before I got any kind of clarity about my picks.

BRACKET Q
1. BOB DYLAN, “LIKE A ROLLING STONE”
2. CHUCK BERRY, “JOHNNY B. GOODE”
“Johnny B. Goode” is the toughest competition “Like a Rolling Stone” has had in the tournament, by far. I tried to come up with a justification for putting Chuck Berry on top, just because I prefer the 50s to the 60s. “Johnny B. Goode” is just an infectious eruption of sheer joy—joy at the power and possibility of the new (in 1958) genre of rock and roll…which makes it kind of an odd contrast to “Like a Rolling Stone,” which, lyrically at least, is actually quite a nasty piece of work. Both songs have had incalculable influence. But it comes down to this: “JBG” is of a piece with the rest of Berry’s work (though it is his best), and for that matter with all the other R&B of the 40s and 50s. “LaRS,” however, is sui generis—apart from being brilliant, it just doesn’t sound like anything else. I wish I could give Bob 3.51 points and Chuck 3.49 points. It’s that close.
3. THE ROLLING STONES, “SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL”: A wonderful, funky, slithery song; fantastic piano. Be happy to listen to it any day, but it’s clearly third here.
4. LED ZEPPELIN, “STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN”: This is the third time I’ve put this song in last place. I may need to form SOTIR (Stamp Out Tolkien in Rock).

BRACKET R
1. U2, “ONE”
2. NIRVANA, “SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT”
This bracket comes down to two great songs from 1991. It’s very close, but in the end I decided to go with a great song about connection and compassion over a great song about alienation and hurt.
3. THE BEATLES, “A DAY IN THE LIFE”: At the moment I’m working my way through Alex Ross’ new history of 20th century art music, The Rest Is Noise; this is one of the only rock songs mentioned in the book. Which is both its glory and its limitation.
4. THE BEACH BOYS, “GOD ONLY KNOWS”: The other three songs in this group have something very powerful and elemental at their core. As beautiful and well-constructed as this song is, what it has at its core is a goopy love song.

BRACKET S: Killer. Four stone classics, with very, very little separating them.
1. THE CLASH, “LONDON CALLING”: The more I listen, I’m deciding that it’s much, much more than just the lead track on a classic album. Fantastic, energetic, affecting song which is probably the best summation of what the Clash is all about. In my personal picks, I even took it over “Losing My Religion,” which might be the highest praise I can give it.
2. THE ROLLING STONES, “GIMME SHELTER”: Bono and Prince have both suggested that a lot of rock and roll is about the apocalypse—well, here’s Exhibit A. Ultimately, I’m afraid, the only reason I put this at #2 is because I like the Clash more than the Stones.
3. DAVID BOWIE, “HEROES”: Most overrated show on American television…oh, wait, that’s a different “Heroes.” This is one of those songs where the more I know what went into it, the more I appreciate it.
4. PULP, “COMMON PEOPLE”: The best dance song (including “Billie Jean”) of the Sweet 16; I was stunned that this song got this far, but it really does deserve it.

BRACKET T
1. MARVIN GAYE, “WHAT’S GOING ON”: I’m kind of surprised that I’m picking this over “Good Vibrations,” but this one wins the “which one would I rather hear?” test. Soul has generally underperformed in bracketology, and I prefer Al, Aretha, Otis and Stevie, but this is a beautiful, languid groove. And of these four songs, this is the one I would most like to have been in the studio for.
2. THE BEACH BOYS, “GOOD VIBRATIONS”: Somewhat abashed to be putting this at #2, but then this one probably won’t need my help. This song, “Day in the Life,” and “Hey Ya” are the outstanding intricate arrangements in the tournament.
3. THE WHO, “WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN”: I admit that this one’s growing on me—enough not to rank it last here, anyway. One of my post-bracketology projects is gonna be to get more familiar with the Who.
4. MICHAEL JACKSON, “BILLIE JEAN”: A fine groove, but the clear #4 here.

My personal Final Four is Like a Rolling Stone, One, London Calling and Hey Ya! (and yes, that last one was a huge surprise to me).

BRACKET Q
49. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” This actually surprises me. For the two brackets below I just looked at all the songs and played the one I most wanted to hear and after I had decided "Rolling Stone" should win this bracket, I looked at this bracket again and I wanted to listen to the Rolling Stones. Damn, I love this song. It's the piano I think that notches it from good single to legendary.
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” Why is it #1? Cause it's frickin' awesome.
8. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” Possibly the greatest guitar riff in history.
9. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” It came on yesterday. I listened to about 20 seconds and thought, "isn't that pleasant." Then I got bored on the second step of the stairway and I took the escalator.

BRACKET R
53. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” It's just so freaking pretty and perfect. I actually like the little orchestral breakdown, because otherwise I think this song would probably get a little too sacharine for its own good. Oh, plus Big Love is an awesome show.
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” I'm pretty sure I've voted this song at the bottom of every single bracket on the way here, but of all the songs here and below, it's the one with the most energy, and the one I listen to the most.
20. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” It's nice to not vote the Beatles #4 for once. This song is a wonderful little ditty. Great as an album closer, but nothing I really want to listen to all that much.
92. U2, “One” So, I like this one as well, but it just doesn't rank as one of my favorites.

BRACKET S
55. Pulp, “Common People” I'm pretty sure this song is going to fall in this round, but I'm glad it has made it so far. It's also the newest song in the Sweet 16 and I'm glad that a song that's only 12 years old has been canonized with a song that's 38 years old. This song sums up the mindset of an era and a people so well that it's hard to believe the 90s existed before it.
66. David Bowie, “Heroes” A very powerful song, that's probably just a cynical display of disillusionment if I were to read more into the lyrics.
146. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” One of the Stones greatest and most powerful songs, but then it's competing with, possibly, the single greatest song of the 90s and the greatest David Bowie song.
39. The Clash, “London Calling” Probably my 1st or 2nd favorite album of all time, but this is, imho, in the second tier of songs on that album.

BRACKET T
118. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” Pure, raw, unadulterated energy. Really, it's kinda the most perfect Rock song ever. YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!
27. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” It's just so DAMN funky that you have to start dancing.
19. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” A beautiful meditation on the cultural decay (that, as cliche as it has become to say, remains relevant today)
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” I love the song, but I still think that most of it's power lies in the fact that it was part of an unheard masterpiece nobody got to listen to for 38 years more than the actual quality of the song.

schleuse, I'll join your SOTIR club.

My personal Bracketology...

Week 1: Bittersweet Symphony, In My Life, Walk This Way, Ziggy Stardust
Week 2: Superstition, Maggie May, When A Man Loves A Woman, Like A Rolling Stone
Week 3: In The Midnight Hour, Seven Nation Army, Take Me Out, Stairway To Heaven
Week 4: Fire and Rain, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin On, Johnny B. Goode
Week 5: A Change Is Gonna Come, A Day in the Life, The Sound of Silence, Be My Baby.
Week 6: Da Doo Ron Ron, California Dreamin’, Long Tall Sally, Smells Like Teen Spirit.
Week 7: Layla, Born to Run, Tomorrow Never Knows, Strawberry Fields Forever.
Week 8: One, Changes, House of the Rising Sun, Respect.
Week 9: Purple Haze, Gimme Shelter, No Woman No Cry, Help!
Week 10: That’ll Be the Day, Voodoo Chile, Thunder Road, Satisfaction.
Week 11: Losing My Religion, Jump, All Along the Watchtower, Hey Joe.
Week 12: London Calling, Paperback Writer, Let’s Stay Together, Stan.
Week 13: Sweet Child ‘O’ Mine, Wonderwall, Live Forever, See Emily Play.
Week 14: Go Your Own Way, She Loves You, I Only Have Eyes for You, Good Vibrations.
Week 15: Hey Ya!, Penny Lane, You Send Me, Creep.
Week 16: Hey Jude, Billie Jean, Strange Fruit, La Bamba.

BITTERSWEET SYMPHONY
SUPERSTITION
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN
JOHNNY B. GOODE

A CHANGE IS GONNA COME
SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT
BORN TO RUN
ONE

GIMME SHELTER
THUNDER ROAD
ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER
STAN

LIVE FOREVER
GOOD VIBRATIONS
PENNY LANE
BILLIE JEAN

BRACKET Q
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”
2. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”
3. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”
4. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”

BRACKET R
2. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”
3. U2, “One”

BRACKET S
1. David Bowie, “Heroes”
2. Pulp, “Common People”
3. The Clash, “London Calling”
4. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”

BRACKET T
1. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”
2. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again”
3. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”
4. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean”

BRACKET Q

1. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”: hail hail rock’n roll ! it’s already rock n roll, but still so close to the old American music. 2’41 of pure fun is definitely better than 8 minutes of Led Zep epic
2. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” : I’m a romantic guy. Of course, time has hardened me, but when I hear this song I just think of my younger days and it makes me wonder. The magic is still here.
3. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” : funny but I never felt close to this Dylan (I prefer Blood on the tracks), although I admit the song is beautifully written and performed.
4. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” : Great performance but I’m not a complete fan of the lyrics (everything about the devil pisses me off)

BRACKET R

1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” : The best song of the post-punk era. Sheer energy. Pure rock. It’s both raw and subtle (in the way they mix hard rock and pop)
2. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” : about that song : I can’t help hearing : I may not always love you, as long as there’re oysters above you. I don’t know why. Nonetheless it’s beautiful but as in bracket Q, energy won against beauty.
3. U2, “One” : this is as far as this song can go. But it came a long way (I think I even prefer it to Johnny Cash’s version)
4. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” : I’m disappointed that my favorite band’s only song in the final 16 is this one, that I find a bit pretentious with all its useless sound effects and those cryptic lyrics (everyone isn’t Dylan). Makes me think of the bad side of nowadays American indie rock ( not so well-written songs but with an arty dressing). The problem is that the Beatles did so many wonderful songs that people don’t vote for the same one : this paradox explains why there are so few Beatles songs in the AM top 20 (although I bet in every individual list they are ranked much higher)

BRACKET S

1. The Clash, “London Calling” : great great song, even after multiple plays. High above the rest. There again, un pur moment de rock’n roll (title of a good French book)
2. Pulp, “Common People” : I don’t always listen to – or get – the lyrics of songs in English, and for the first time I read these ones, and they are really good. In fact I hadn’t understood the real social meaning of the song, and it reminded me that in my mom’s family , who’s from a rather bourgeois background, they use to joke innocently about “les communs” (a neologism they invented), like in the song
3. David Bowie, “Heroes” : I think this song is very close musically to “Common people”. But here I prefer the younger of the two
4. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” : doesn’t compete

BRACKET T
Everything in this bracket is excellent

1. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” : an instant classic. Everything in this song is perfect. And it grooves.
2. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” : the closest a second can be.
3. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again”: the rocker of the bracket is 3rd, this time.
4. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” : very good, but I really prefer the others for various reasons.

Ain’t it funny : my final four are from : 1958, 1979, 1982 and 1991. Nobody from 1965-75, my favourite era in terms of albums (but also a very album-era).

BRACKET Q
2. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”
3. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”

BRACKET R
2. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
3. U2, “One”
4. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”

BRACKET S
1. The Clash, “London Calling”
2. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”
3. David Bowie, “Heroes”
4. Pulp, “Common People”

BRACKET T
1. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again”
2. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”
3. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean”
4. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”

Thanks to the translation by Honorio. Not only translates the text but it also gives me several options so that I choose what I like most.

BRACKET Q. Every song is a great one here. It’s really hard to argue the vote. Dylan for poet. Berry for pioneer. The Stones for savages. Zeppelin for striving for not release its best song as a single.
1. Bob Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone
2. The Rolling Stones, Sympathy for the Devil
3. Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Goode
4. Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven

BRACKET R. Not as greats as the previous ones. Indeed, I heard them all today and I didn’t get a last impression
1. The Beatles, A Day in the Life
2. The Beach Boys, God Only Knows
3. Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit
4. U2, One

BRACKET S. I like the four exactly the same. So I put in order following an irrational impulse.
1. David Bowie, Heroes
2. The Clash, London Calling
3. The Rolling Stones, Gimme Shelter
4. Pulp, Common People

BRACKET T. Four wonders but Good Vibrations and What's Going On? are otherworldly.
1. Marvin Gaye, What’s Going On
2. The Beach Boys, Good Vibrations
3. The Who, Won’t Get Fooled Again
4. Michael Jackson, Billie Jean

My Personal Bracketology Sweet 16:

Q. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”
R. The Beatles, “Strawberry Fields Forever”
S. David Bowie, “Heroes”
T. Elvis Presley, “Suspicious Minds”

BRACKET Q

After relistening to the songs, this bracket is surprisingly easy to decide on!

1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - Already put this song in first place in the second round, and since that bracket was way stronger than this one here, Bob is my man.
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Simple, straightforward, pure rock 'n' roll. Never gets boring, go Johnny go!
3. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - Might have been competition for Bob and Chuck, if it hadn't been so long and if it would have more historical value / influence.
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - Have to repeat my words from the second round: Would not have picked this song for the last 16 ... great classic, but too light for the final four

BRACKET R

Here I had way more difficulties to decide. Made decisions more based on personal taste, not on importance for the evolution of (pop) music.

1. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - Just gorgeous. Remarkable choice, for somebody who does not believe in a God.
2. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - Would not mind (at all) if this song will make it to the final four. Epiloque to and highlight from Sgt. Pepper's, their psychedelic masterpiece.
3. U2, “One” - Would be surprised if this song would make it to the final four, but nevertheless it's very beautiful and timeless.
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - My adoration of Nirvana fluctuates big time. Sorry, but it just has to accept 4th place only.

BRACKET S

"Weaker" bracket, in the sense of: would not have picked any of these songs for the final four. Picked an outsider as winner, big surprise!

1. Pulp, “Common People” - This song kicked out one of my favorites, Losing my religion (sniff). Well, if 'pulp' could only be as good quality as this.
2. David Bowie, “Heroes” - Could well be that, as a kid, with this song I got introduced to Bowie's music. Its excellence is everlasting.
3. The Clash, “London Calling” - Their best song, happy it made the sweet sixteen. Final four seems to much rewarding to me.
4. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - Clear loser. Won a weaker bracket in round 2, but winning this bracket would be a major surprise to me.

BRACKET T

Like bracket Q, this bracket is surprisingly easy to decide on!

1. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - Oh no, I am voting the Beach Boys twice as winner. Well, to be honest, I do like this song ... a lot.
2. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - Sweet enough for the sweet sixteen, but is this soul too sweet for the final four?
3. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - Kicked out my all-time favorite song from Otis (sniff sniff). It's a great song, but not THAT great.
4. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - Repeating my words from round 2: Just don't like this song.

And here is my personal final four:

Q: The Beatles, “Yesterday”
R: The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”
S: R.E.M., “Losing My Religion”
T: Otis Redding, “Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay”

We've got some barnburning close brackets going on. Fr'instance:

At this moment, in bracket T:

The first place song has 34 points...and there's a three-way tie for second, with three songs at 32 points. There's never been a bracket this wide open.

Two of the other brackets are also close. This election week special brought to you by bracketology.

The competition gets harder, yet somehow the choices seem easier.

BRACKET Q
1) Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone. It isn't the best song he's made in my opinion, but it would be a worthy winner here. Recorded in ONE take! Flip me.
2) Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven. I was in a local music shop yesterday when this came on, and immediately everybody looked around at each other as if to say "TUNE!". Legendary.
3) Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode. In picking this, I forgot completely about these tracks' place in history and treated them as 4 equal pieces of published music, and picked my favourite. There's a bit of controversy about this around at the moment, and I understand that, but to me it seems the most effective way in Bracketology.
4) The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil. As I've said before, my favourite Stones song, but, well, it's outclassed. There is something Like The Rolling Stones winning this bracket tho...

BRACKET R
1) The Beatles - A Day In The Life. This was the hardest bracket, primarily because it includes 4 songs I have a lot of admiration for, but none of which I would QUITE put in my very top group of all time. All close though. This one genuinely is a work of art.
2) Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. As my generation awaits its Teen Spirit for its ultimate anthem, I'm happy enough to continue to lap this one up. 'I'm worst at what I do best/And for this gift I feel blessed/Our little group has always been/And always will until the end'.
3) The Beach Boys - God Only Knows. Gorgeous song, really transcendantly beautiful, but such is the quality of the sweet 16 that it's third.
4) U2 - One. May just be their best (tho probably not), but a classic either way. Slightly overplayed for me now though.

BRACKET S
1) Pulp - Common People. I can't imagine it stands very much chance of winning the group, but there you go. As I said in the last round, this has it all for me, and truth be told, when push comes to shove, at the end of the day, when the dust settles, I reckon I would stand by this song ahead of all the remaining songs in the tournament.
2) The Clash - London Calling. Look at all the Brits in this bracket! Love The Clash, more so than any other original punk band I've heard, and this is their big one. Glad it's got this far, and might just sneak through as well.
3) David Bowie - Heroes. Heroes one and all in the sweet 16, but just so happens that there are (at least) 2 more heroic figures for me here ahead of Bowie.
4) The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter. The only song in any group this week that I think is struggling to keep up.

BRACKET T
1) Marvin Gaye - What's Going On. I quite specifically remember when I first heard this, and thinking, 'I am being blown away here.' Another completely worthy final four member.
2) The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again. Saw them at Glastonbury this summer, more curious than hopeful, and honestly they were the best *musicians* I saw over the three days. This is my favourite Who song.
3) Michael Jackson - Billie Jean. Irresistable. And I've probably put it just above one of only about a dozen better produced tracks of all time in popular music.
4) The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations. I respect GV immensely, but I've never loved it as a song, so last place for them unfortunately.

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”: Bruce Springsteen once described the drum hit at the beginning of “Like a Rolling Stone” like the “snare shot that sounded like somebody’d kicked open the door to your mind”. And it’s not a fan exaggeration, this snare shot opened a lot of doors: it introduced folk into rock (and rock into folk), it introduced literature and poetry into pop lyrics and it introduced adulthood complexities into a mostly teenager style.
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”: an almost autobiographical “rags-to-riches” story but with one big difference. Berry “could play the guitar just like a ringin’ a bell” also, but while Johnny B. Goode “never ever learned to read or write so well” Chuck Berry was one of the best writers of rock ‘n’ roll lyrics.
3. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”
In the bottom of the bracket the fight between “Heaven” and Hell ends with the victory of the “Devil”. Both songs share similar approaches, for instance the slow building, adding more and more instruments till it reaches a frenzy climax. But while “Heaven” is carefully executed showing the mastery of the musicians “Devil” displays a looser and filthier rendering. Just compare the guitar solos: Page “heavenly” technical playing against Richards “evil” dirty playing. No doubt, my vote goes to the Devil.

BRACKET R
2. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”
During the game I stayed true to my all-time list (well, almost ever). But now I’m going to break this self-imposed rule. I will put “A Day in the Life” (#49 in my all-time list) above “God Only Knows” (#4) cause I NEED a Beatles song in the Final Four. It’s not my favourite song by the Fab Four, it’s not even from my favourite Beatles album. But it’s one of the best songs from my favourite band, and that’s saying a lot. One of the few examples of ambition completely fulfilled. Lennon made one of his most memorable lyrics (with references to newspapers and to the film “How I Won the War”) and Ringo’s drumming never got better than in this one. I’m really sad for putting “God Only Knows” at number two, with its last minute of heavenly harmonies, but that’s semifinals…
3. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”: surely the grunge generation anthem deserves to be in the sweet sixteen (but maybe not in the final four). The generational lyrics (“here we are now / entertain us”) and the Pixies-style loud-quiet-loud structure are its main features. But the thing that grabbed my attention when I heard it for the first time on the radio was this “silly” two-note (d-f) guitar line during the verses and the contrast with the ferocious riff during the chorus.
4. U2, “One”: although I think that this song doesn’t belong to the sweet 16, I admit that my love and appreciation for this song has considerably risen lately due basically to Anthony’s insistence. So many thanks, Anthony, but sorry for putting it at # 4 cause “we’re one but we’re not the same”.

BRACKET S
1. David Bowie, “Heroes”: sometimes fiction surpasses reality. Bowie peeped two lovers dating by the Berlin wall (legend says that it was Bowie’s producer Tony Visconti having an extramarital affair) and created a heroic lover’s tale with “guns shooting above our heads”. The atmospheric Eno’s dynamics, the awesome Fripp guitar work and the terrific Bowie vocal performance made the rest. Just for one day…
2. The Clash, “London Calling”
3. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”
Like I said on a previous post, both songs were released on the last month of its respective decades, closing the 70s and the 60s with an apocalyptical tone. Both are openers of great albums, both share amazing vocals and awesome guitar work and both are great songs. I’ll put The Clash above but The Stones are “just a shot away”.
4. Pulp, “Common People”: I share and understand the love for Pulp and for this song in the forum and I can’t think of a song that represents better the 90s Brit-pop, but in my opinion is severely outclassed here. Well, maybe it’s a “different class”…

BRACKET T
1. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”: in previous weeks I pointed basically to the message of the song, now it’s time to talk about music. About the sensual rhythm with the warm Caribbean flavour of the congas, about the silky string arrangements and, of course, about the Gaye multi-tracked vocal performance ranging from the elegant whisper to the aching cry. Father, father…
2. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”: talking about multi-tracking here it comes the multi-coloured collage of The Beach Boys, the establishment of the studio as the ultimate musical instrument, the pinnacle of creativity of a Brian Wilson that after that became exhausted and unable to replicate the heights of this masterpiece.
3. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean”: when Jackson was recording “Thriller” maybe he dreamed about making the best-selling album in history (he eventually sold more than 100 millions), but probably he didn’t expect making a critics favourite. In fact the critics initially resisted (Village Voice put “Thriller” at #15 of 1982) but surrendered to evidences as solid as “Billie Jean” (Village Voice put again “Thriller” in the lists of 1983, this time at #1).
4. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again”: three consecutive #4 in my votes for this song. And I like it. But there’s brackets and brackets. And this song faced strong opponents on every bracket.

And my personal bracketology:
Week A: Ziggy Stardust, Like a Rolling Stone, Walk On By, Johnny B. Goode.
Week B: Be My Baby, There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, Strawberry Fields Forever, Waterloo Sunset.
Week C: Honky Tonk Women, Heroes, Losing My Religion, Stan.
Week D: What’s Going On, Good Vibrations, Anarchy in the U.K., Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay.

BRACKET Q
Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven,” if only for personal nostalgia purposes.
The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil.” Not a fan of the band as a whole, but hard to argue when they get it right.
Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone.” Solid song, Lyrics exactly as good as about 25 other Dylan songs.
Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode.” Museum piece?

BRACKET R
The Beatles, “A Day in the Life.” No justification necessary.
The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows.” Too short, as if its emotional aspirations were simple!
Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit.” Fun, but I'm not generation X so it's not my anthem.
U2, “One.” Yech. Doesn't resonate half as well as a single Joshua Tree track

BRACKET S
The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter.” See above. Interestingly, I thought it was gimmicky for a long time, and had a real breakthrough when I saw the Departed. Go figure.
The Clash, “London Calling.” Their most Important sounding song, perhaps, if not "Guns of Brixton" -- Rather, the thrills are more apocalyptic than punk.
Pulp, “Common People,” lyrics do the trick.
David Bowie, “Heroes.” Love the guy, but find this one sloppy!

BRACKET T
The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations.” I remember hearing this and thinking, wait, they had ambition beyond "California Girls"?
The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again.” Nothing if not gutsy.
Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean,” gets me moving, that's all I need from him.
Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” can't be appreciated by a narrow minded rich white boy, perhaps.

No worries, Honorio. I knew from the beginning that I’d be championing a dark horse, and although it surely won’t make it into the final four, I was still glad to see Bono and co. make it into round #3. Thank you for the acknowledgment.

My personal bracketology:

1: In My Life, Ziggy Stardust, Ms. Jackson, Shout
2: Don't Worry Baby, Maggie May, Yesterday, Where Did Our Love Go
3: People Get Ready, Autobahn, Yakety Yak, Imagine
4: Paint it Black, Stop! In the Name of Love, Fire and Rain, Johnny B. Goode
5: A Day in the Life, A Change is Gonna To Come, Sound of Silence, Be My Baby
6: That's Alright Mama, California Dreamin, Crazy, Smells Like Teen Spirit
7: Tomorrow Never Knows, Strawberry Fields Forever, Folsom Prison Blues, Layla
8: Waterloo Sunset, Sheena Is a Punk Rocker, Mr. Tambourine Man, Tutti Frutti
9: 96 Tears, Help!, Gimme Shelter, Purple Haze
10: Thunder Road, I Want You Back, Nuthin But a G Thang, Relax
11: Don't You Want Me, Hey Joe, Losing My Religion, Jump
12: Let's Stay Together, London Calling, Be Bop a Lula, Paperback Writer
13: Tracks of My Tears, Ever Fallen In Love, Sweet Child O' Mine, Fortunate Son
14: Blue Monday, Good Vibrations, She Loves You, Peggy Sue
15: Will You Love Me Tomorrow, How Soon is Now, Summer in the City, Anarchy in the UK
16: Billie Jean, Heart of Glass, Teenage Kicks, Loser

Sweet 16:

1: Don't Worry Baby, In My Life, People Get Ready, Paint it Black
2: A Day in the Life, Waterloo Sunset, Tomorrow Never Knows, That's Alright Mama
3: Thunder Road, Don't You Want Me, 96 Tears, Let's Stay Together
4: Billie Jean, Tracks of My Tears, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Blue Monday

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” – Even in this stellar company, it stands out and stands alone. It really did change the course of rock music, and it remains as thrilling today as it must have in 1965.
2. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” – The Stones have two entries in this Sweet Sixteen, and they’re the right ones. This one helped usher in a period (extending through EXILE) during which they really were, as their slogan suggested, The World’s Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Band.
3. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” – The most overplayed song in history, but it deserves to be.
4. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” – The most enduringly influential of all the early rock figures, even more so than non-songwriter Elvis; this is his masterpiece, and the fact that it’s #4 just tells you how cutthroat the competition is at this stage.

BRACKET R
1. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” – So spiritually beautiful that it deserves the right to invoke the Almighty in its title. God only knows what we would do without Brian Wilson.
2. U2, “One” – It seems almost cruel that this equally beautiful, even more spiritual song and performance has to compete with #1 here. But given how much I love #1 it’s not even close.
3. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – Another record that changed the music, but even though the defiant Dadaism of Kurt’s lyrics is one of the band’s hallmarks, here it’s what ensures a #3 ranking.
4. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” – Oh, how I wanted to try to help the Fab Four make the Final Four. If SGT. PEPPER’s magnum opus had landed in Bracket T it might have been an easy #1. Here, it’s wildly overmatched, I’m sorry to say.

BRACKET S
1. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” – Defines the essence of the Stones in every way. It’s seductive, more than a little scary, and musically propulsive. This bracket is also exceptionally strong, but as in Bracket R #1 – at least to me – is so obvious that it boils down to a race for second place.
2. The Clash, “London Calling” – It works even better as lead track of the album than as a stand-alone song, but it grabs you by the throat from the get-go like few other records.
3. Pulp, “Common People” – In contrast, the most recent entry in the Sixteen sneaks up on you gradually, but it leaves you just as pummeled and drained.
4. David Bowie, “Heroes” – One of Bowie’s best, honorably bringing up the rear.

BRACKET T
1. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” – It seems like just last week that we were writing about these songs – oh, wait, it was. Can’t really come up with anything new to say, except that for me this was an easy #1.
2. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” – State-of-the-art pop, from an artist who, it can’t be stressed enough, really used to be -that good- .
3. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” – Again, I like and admire the song and the album, but they just don’t do much for me.
4. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” – This is a purely strategic vote: I haven’t looked at the Sweet Sixteen responses for a while, but there’s probably a fairly decent chance that the Beach Boys could score two of the Final Four slots, and I’m trying to do my part to keep that from happening, all due respect to Brian and Co.

Just a reminder: I know there's a lot of interest in Survivor, but please remember that voting on the Sweet 16 is still open today, tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Update on point totals:

Right now, the four songs in Bracket S have 45, 45, 44, and 36 points.

The four songs in bracket T have--holy cow--43, 43, 43, and 41 points.

Bracket R is still a tight two-song race. Bracket Q...not so much.

Schleuse:

I don't want to complain too much but if you want full and timely participation in all your fun list games AND you want comments for each entry in order for it to be counted, you should finish one game before another starts.

I'm mostly concerned with all these good list ideas being used up too quickly.

Point taken, Jonah--I may have become overexcited.

Originally, my thinking was that Survivor would start as soon as bracketology ended. Until Friday's deluge of ballots, I thought of the Loophole Round as just the Survivor "pregame," and convinced myself that it wouldn't overshadow bracketology.

Now, I don't really think there's a problem with running both at the same time. The Sweet 16 is doing just fine, actually--I'm more concerned about having a different schedule for the Sweet 16 (ending on Wednesday rather than Sunday) than about running two contests at once. I mean, many voters have been following bracketology for nearly five months--and we're approaching the big payoff, so I don't think people will suddenly forget about that.

Still, had I been using my brain more, I probably would have put the Loophole Round off another week or two. I'm sure we'll muddle through...

Loophole round, bracketology finals, top 100 of the 90s, top 100 songs, top 100 albums. We're quite busy at the moment. Not to say that's a bad thing, but it can be a little overwhelming. I still haven't started on my 90s list..

BRACKET Q

To me, Stairway is a little too goofy to be truly great. I like Zeppelin (absolutely loved them at one time), but they made songs about vikings and bustles in your hedgerows, and that, along with Bob Plant’s hysterical vocals, keep them out of that rarefied Beatles/Stones/Dylan territory.

The other three are all great songs and push all the buttons you would want a rock song to push. I pick Dylan because he’s one of my favourite performers and Like a Rolling Stone - while it may not be my personal favourite Dylan track – distills as well as any other his songs the characteristics that made him one of the great musical figures of our time.

8. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
49. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”
9. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”

BRACKET R

I’ve mentioned my issues with God Only Knows before, so I won’t flog that horse any more. I have reservations about the other three tracks too, less so with the Beatles track than the others, so that’s my winner.

20. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life”
92. U2, “One”
53. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”

BRACKET S

Gimme Shelter feels like an easy winner to me – the other three tracks seem like lightweights by comparison.

146. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”
39. The Clash, “London Calling”
55. Pulp, “Common People”
66. David Bowie, “Heroes”

BRACKET T

Toss-up between 1 & 2 – Billie Jean gets my nod by being creepy and claustrophobic.

27. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean”
19. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”
118. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again”

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - Success in the final, Bob!
2. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - This song builds up to a climax. Original song, very original lyrics.
3. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Rock and Roll heaven.
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - No shame being 4th here. I like it, but here it is outclassed.

BRACKET R
1. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - Do we have a winner here?
2. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - Raw energy deserving all the acclaim.
3. U2, “One” - There can be only one 'One', and this is the one.
4. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - Best number 4 so far. Fantastic. Heavy bracket.

BRACKET S
1. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - This could be the best Stones song, but they made so much good stuff...
2. David Bowie, “Heroes” - And Bowie did other great songs.
3. Pulp, “Common People” - Builds up so beautifully.
4. The Clash, “London Calling” - This is a very good song, but I like the other three more.

BRACKET T (T for tough bracket! I changed my mind several times)
1. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - Perfect disco.
2. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - Everytime I hear it, I like it more.
3. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - Don't fool yourself, this song is really good!
4. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - This one deserves our respect.

My personal finalists:
-Like a Rolling Stone.
-There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.
-Stan.
-Billie Jean.

Damo (or anybody else), have you ever read Killing Yourself To Live by Chuck Klosterman? He says that every male at one point in their life has loved Led Zeppelin whether it be for one minute or 10 years. I'm paraphrasing but it's totally true.

At this point in the game, I guess my motivation is to pick the artists that I would most like represented. Of all the songs Sympathy for the Devil and Billie Jean are the only ones I kind of don’t like listening to. Other than that it really is difficult, and the brackets did not sort out how I liked, with clear choices at top.

Bracket Q

1. “Stairway to Heaven” – When all else fails, go to the timeless rock anthem. I like other Zep songs, but I guess among the mountain of goodies this band provided, this song is at the very peak. Can’t really support the other songs without giving this song its due.
2. “Johnny B. Goode” – Back to the Future aside, this is the foundation for most of rock n’ roll.
3. “Like a Rolling Stone” – If you’re a Dylan fanatic this song is probably perfect. Since I’m just a moderate Dylan fan I have to put it down a few pegs.
4. “Sympathy for the Devil” -- Been annoyed with this song since day one of bracketology.

Bracket R

1. “God Only Knows” – In my top ten songs of all time. Best of my personal favorites that have made the Sweet 16.
2. “A Day in the Life” – Adventerous and innovative regardless of the Beatles name attached to it. Considering Moonbeam’s thoughts on the Beatles, I think this song might be the most un-Beatles sounding of their entire catalog, which is why it’s so fascinating.
3. “One” – Beatiful ballad that is the rare occurrence of a huge hit that hasn’t become dated.
4. “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – Sacrilege! But honestly, I find the music spawned from this song’s explosion (including subsequent Nevermind singles) more interesting that the original song itslef.

Bracket S

1. “London Calling” – The only song is this bracket that I own, yet I would place it fifth in Bracket R if I had the chance. Still a powerful opening track.
2. “Heroes” – Actually I have this song thanks to an mp3 blog. Bowie deserves some credit.
3. “Gimme Shelter” – Stones at their best.
4. “Common People” – I’m sorry, but I only really became familiar with this song because of the William Shatner version, and I’ve probably heard the original Pulp version less. It’s not bad, it’s just my view of the song has been tainted.

BRACKET T

1. “Won’t Get Fooled Again” – Frank Zappa and the Who are pretty much the only classic rock bands I’m really a huge fan of. I have a whole CD folder that is exclusively FZ, the Who, and Radiohead for good measure. This is still my 4th or 5th favorite Who song, but I’m so glad it has made it this far as a cinderella candidate. Go, Who, Go!
2. “Good Vibrations” – More emphasis on audio trickery than lyrical beauty with this one compared to God Only Knows. Still love it.
3. “What’s Going On” -- What’s happening brother? Various chatter and a beautiful sax lick kicks off a calming yet disturbing classic soul song.
4. “Bille Jean” – Ho hum, give me Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough any day.

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - Myth-making folk rock. I don't know what else to say at this point.
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - The best example of '50s rock, and a very, very, very (add about twenty more verys) close second.
3. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - One of my five favorite Stones songs, and for their 1966-72 period they are one of my favorite bands. But just look at the competition.
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - It's a slowly building epic that almost deserves all its acclaim.

BRACKET R
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - Is to the '90s what "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Johnny B. Goode" were to the '60s and '50s respectively.
2. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - The culminating moment on "Sgt. Pepper's." Need more be said?
3. U2, “One” - Actually a little understated for a U2 song, which does it some good.
4. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - Pretty harmonizing, but God only knows how it got this far.

BRACKET S
1. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - The atmosphere they create with this song is dark and exciting, sure to get your adreniline pumping.
2. Pulp, “Common People” - I think I've voted for this second every single time.
3. The Clash, “London Calling” - A great song, but I think it's piggybacked the greatness of the album to these heights.
4. David Bowie, “Heroes” - A very good Bowie song, but perhaps the weakest song to make it this far.

BRACKET T
1. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - I'm going to take perfect rock over perfect pop.
2. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - As I've said, it's perfect. But how do you chose between perfection and perfection?
3. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - I like both of these soul hits about the same, but Gaye wasn't a child molester.
4. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - Before he was what we all know now, be was a Thriller.

BRACKET Q
1. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
2. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”
3. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven”
4. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”

I think I had the top 3 above in my list of the top 100 songs when we last did that poll. But that was more out of respect than because they're my personal favourites. I find it difficult to order the three and I'm not sure any of them will be included in my new top 100. "Sympathy", however, has nothing to compete with here.

BRACKET R
1. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - Broadened the definition of the pop song.
2. U2, “One” - Just beautiful
3. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - I wouldn't say that this is less beautiful than "One", but SH2B3.
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - A boast of energy that came out exactly at the right time, but it doesn't fully come up to the same song qualities of the three above.

BRACKET S
All these songs are huge favorites of mine!
1. David Bowie, “Heroes” - Bowie magic.
2. Pulp, “Common People” - Builds up better than any other song I know!
3. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - RS reached a (temporary) higher level with this song.
4. The Clash, “London Calling” - Seems (and feels) like I'm bashing this song all the time, but it's just that the competition is too hard.

BRACKET T
Three huge favorites of mine here...
1. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - I'll say it again: this is the best beat ever!
2. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - My WGO record disappeared, but now I've bought a new copy. Wow, life is good again!
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - The best harmonies ever only reached to #3.
4. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - Next person who writes YYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! will be banned from this forum.

BRACKET Q
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - That is what you can call an anthem ! Great solo, fabulous vocals, both melodic and energic !
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Back to basis !
3. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - classic... too classic !
4. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - found it amazing the first time I heard it, funny the next one, boring the others.

BRACKET R
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - Has any other song expressed more than this one the anger of the youth ? (not any anger in particular, just anger generally speaking) Instant classic, great riff and a great drummer at the same time thrilling and simple
2. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - One of my favourite Beatles song
3. U2, “One” - Just beautiful indeed
4. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - I don't know why it is that much acclaimed, it's not that I don't like it, just that I don't find it amazing.

BRACKET S
1. Pulp, “Common People” - I'm a son of the 90's (well I'm born in the 80's but I don't like much music of that decade). Great synthesizer melody (which is rare), brilliant lyrics and a song going crescendo to lead to a fabulous ending... I'm far from being a fan of Pulp, but this one song is stunning !
2. The Clash, “London Calling” - So british ! One of the real Punk anthem but already give clues about what the Clash could do by broadening their horizon
3. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - A real good Stones song
4. David Bowie, “Heroes” - See "God Only Knows"

BRACKET T
1. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - YYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! (don't kick me, don't kick me !!!!) Probably my favourite "classic rock" song ever, great drum, great singer, great synthesizer (that makes two)...
2. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - The idol of my young teenage years, I really think that many of his songs from Bad to History should be in the AM 3000 (probably between 2000 and 2500 but in it anyway), and Billie Jean is the best achievment of his solo career (but well, I want you back is even greater)
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - Really a fabulous song, which has been one of those who changed my way of listening to music when I have discovered it (yeah, about 8 years ago but...)
4. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - A great soul moment, would not have been #4 in the other brackets

BRACKET Q
Led Zeppelin- Stairway To Heaven
The Rolling Stones-Sympathy for the Devil- The Stones most alt-rock type of song.
Chuck Berry- Johnny B. Goode
Bob Dylan- Like A Rolling Stone- Bob Dylan is great but lyrics are not enough these three songs performance wise is way above Dylan's class.

BRACKET R
The Beatles- A Day in the Life- Neopo and Moonbeam are you related to Piero Scaruffi the Beatles basher who has been disproven. This is the most innovative track on this list. Progressive rock, symphonic prog and avant classical this song was a benchmark. Nothing like it before and after in rock music.
The Beach Boys-God Only Knows- This would have been my second choice on the entire list.
Nirvana-Smells Like Teen Spirit
U2-One

BRACKET S
The Rolling Stones-Gimme Shelter- This is really a no brainer but everyone has opinions.
Pulp-Common People
The Clash-London Calling
David Bowie-Heroes

BRACKET T
The Who-Won’t Get Fooled Again- Rock true spirit is the Who and this song is one of the examples.
The Beach Boys-Good Vibrations- The second most innovative song on the entire list.
Marvin Gaye-What’s Going On
Michael Jackson-Billie Jean

And there is MoonBeam and Neopo

He must be a clever man to see through their equally clever disguise.

Q: No songs that I really care about

1. "Johnny B. Goode"- Good enough to be out in space.
2. "Sympathy for the Devil"- I can handle this.
3. "Like a Rolling Stone"- Not my thing.
4. "Stairway to Heaven"- Bloated and pompous.

R: 3 songs I like

1. "God Only Knows"- I'm a sucker for love.
2. "One"- Not their best, but still very effective.
3. "Smells Like Teen Spirit"- This would have easily won bracket Q.
4. "A Day in the Life"- Eat your heart out, Anthony!

S: 2 songs I like

1. "Heroes"- Simply euphoric.
2. "London Calling"- Again, would have easily won bracket Q.
3. "Common People"- Meh.
4. "Gimme Shelter"- Even bigger meh.

T: 2 songs I like

1. "Billie Jean"- My pick to win it all at this point.
2. "What's Going On"- Set the stage for my favorite album of the 70s, Songs in the Key of Life.
3. "Good Vibrations"- I dislike this one.
4. "Won't Get Fooled Again"- I detest this one.

Wow, your comments are pathetic.

You should consider sticking to your Prince fansites, because it doesn't look like your much of a fan of acclaimed music.

Hey, Anthony, that was kind of rude and uncalled for. It would be one thing if this was some newcomer who had never posted before (although, even then your comments would be a little over the top), but Moonbeam has been a constant presence here for a long time and deserves a little more slack. If his comments are minimal, part of that is probably because he wanted to get his votes in before the deadline.

Maybe so, Harold. But here we are, approaching the end of a round that determines the final four of this tournament (that incidentally, we’ve been at for the past five months), and I just thought that a little more respect was warranted. After all, isn’t this the time when the comments really matter?

But no, all we get is “meh”. I’m certainly not the king of comments, but I try damn hard to write something insightful. And I haven’t been on this site for as long as you have, but there’s a lot of newcomers who don’t know Moonbeams hallowed AM history either, and I’m sure they are seeing the same that I am.

Oh, and there’s been a nine day window for Sweet 16 comments.

Your comments were well beyond ‘kind of rude’ Anthony – they were antagonistic, disrespectful, unwarranted and absolutely reeked of jerkiness as far as I’m concerned. Feel free to say whatever you like, of course – it’s not that serious, just a music message board - but being so needlessly pissy, regardless of your rationale, doesn’t reflect well on anyone as far as I’m concerned.

Anybody who’s read Moonbeam’s reviews at Rateyourmusic wouldn’t deny his eloquence. I’ll happily attest to the fact that he’s one of the few people I’ve met (if only electronically) in my life who I could describe as a genius without wanting to vomit in disgust. He deserves far better than such shabby treatment.

Fuck you.

I think I'm done with this place for a while anyway.

Well, fyi, I just recently joined here and I'm far from done yet.

It seems obvious to me that Moonbeam and Anthony don't get along with each other well, and that they are both lightly inflamable (one sentence or even a single word can start a heated discussion or an accusation). Not necessary, I would say.

For me this forum is fun, hope it will stay that way.

See ya, damosuzuki.

I don't know, maybe I'm taking this whole thing too seriously. Maybe I'm just a serious person. But seeing a "meh" (or anything equivalent) in a Sweet 16 comment is an insult to me and anyone else who has put time and effort into their remarks. It certainly doesn't show any sort of intelligence either.

In the six months I've been on this site, I haven't seen any such "genius" from Moo. All I've seen are "meh's", "yawn" and a whole lotta "but not as much as I detest..." The literary gems (or any insightful discourse, for that matter) have been far from forthcoming.

You know, I've sort of branded myself as Anthony the Antagonist on this forum. It's partly my fault, sure, I'll admit it. But there are people on here who like to give opinions, but don't back them up. And when I come along and ask them (politely, I might add) "why do you say that?", I get shit on for it.

Anthony, I like to think "serious" is not the right wording, I would say you take things way too personal. Take it easy, man.

I appreciated the Coldplay thread you opened earlier today and the comments that followed. And yes, I saw Moonbeam's "beige, yawn" comment too. You know, I can really enjoy or laugh about Moonbeam's refreshing statements now and then. And I still prefer a "meh" comment over no comment at all. Some people don't need many words to express that they don't like a band or artist, right Moonbeam?

Way past bed time here, good night!

"But there are people on here who like to give opinions, but don't back them up. And when I come along and ask them (politely, I might add) "why do you say that?", I get shit on for it."

'Meh' to that, among other comments.

As of these songs are masterpieces, titans in their genres, epitome of their era, etc., it's easier for me to explain my rankings by describing things I don't like with each of the songs. That being said...

BRACKET Q
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - Ideally, I like my songs to have a little bit more rock than this. Other than that, flawless
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Sounds just the slightest bit dated. Sounds just the slightest bit formulaic. Of course, both are to be expected for a such a legendary 49-year old song.
3. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - Fairly straightforward lyrics: We get it Mick, you're the devil. We figured that out fairly quickly. Also, a 2 minute playout is a little excessive, no?
4. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - An indulgence in excess, which means that it's an amazing song which happens to be a tad too long, a tad too bloated, and a tad to mythological.

BRACKET R
1. The Beatles, “A Day in the Life” - It's not so much "rock" as it is "art". Which is as much of a criticism as I can make.
2. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - The previously mentioned middle section sticks out, simple because it's not as transcedent as the rest of the song.
3. U2, “One” - A bit too syrupy. Has resulted in far too many mediocre covers, advertisements, and parodies by Bank of America executives.
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - You know, I don't care how acclaimed the song is - When it takes plenty of close listens to understand what Cobain is singing about, that's a problem. Which against this competition is a pretty big strike.

BRACKET S
1. David Bowie, “Heroes” - Lyrics are fairly simplistic. Which I realize is sort of the point of the song, but I can have illogical opinions if I want to.
2. Pulp, “Common People” - Like a number of songs here, I find it a bit too repetitive; after the 3-and-a-half minute mark, there isn't that much new to the song. Other than that, I got nothing.
3. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” - Great beat, great mood, but never reaches that point where I want to get out of my seat and start moving to it. For whatever reason, I really like the first part of the song, but by about the 3/4 point, I'm ready to move on.
4. The Clash, “London Calling” - Too straightforward. Also, hard to appreciate this song independent of the rise of punk, the band itself, and the album itself.

BRACKET T
1. Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean” - I have to pretend that Michael Jackson has been a figment of the media's imagination since 1990. If I can do that, this song has no faults.
2. The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” - Unsuprisingly, I find this too long for it's own good. Leaving that aside, the final minute might be my favourite minute in all of rock.
3. The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” - As an example of studio genius? Perfection. As a song? Disjointed.
4. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On” - I like this as much as I can like any souul music. Sadly, soul is like scissors for me - it loses out to rock every time.

Goodness. I never knew my comments would be taken so seriously. I've written about my feelings for many of these songs previously, and I thought a short comment would be less inflammatory than a long diatribe. I can go into further detail if you so wish.

As for my interaction with Anthony, I have never, ever directed a pejorative comment toward any poster here, and I'm not about to start. My comment of "eat your heart out, Anthony" was meant to be a joke, toying with what I felt was a resolved issue.

Let me add that suggesting I leave the forum is not exactly the same as politely asking me to back up my opinions. I'm sorry if my curt responses get you wound up- I'm not trying to provoke anyone. I apologize about the Coldplay comment, even if those two words do pretty much summarize my feelings for them as a band.

Thank you to Damosuzuki for jumping to my defense. He is the perfect example of the reason I come here. I disagree with his opinions very often (actually, most of the time- he ranked Bowie last- LAST!- out of the top 20 acclaimed artists), but I adore the way he writes about music, and I feel I greatly benefit from reading his posts. I feel the same way about many people here, including Anthony. In fact, the only posts I genuinely take issue with (besides the mudslinging ones) are the ones that spam the board. Everyone else seems to contribute a lot of knowledge and passion about music, which is what brought us all here.

I haven't exactly been graced with a lot of free time lately- I'm about to start a PhD in statistics and have been working as a full-time lecturer. That is probably why I haven't produced as many lengthy, carefully constructed posts lately.

I don't agree with ANYONE on here. One week I'll think a poster is brilliant, the next week they're an idiot (for not giving Sympathy for the Devil the respect it deserves). But getting personal with people, to the point of insulting them, is just silly. AM's only good if it's light-hearted, music-nerdery. There's no basis for causing sh!t. Starting shit on AM is like trying to stand up on jello. There's just no ground. Besides, we only know each other through the five or six sentences we through up here at a time. This isn't exactly the place to start judging character.

Yes, let's close this little argument with those words from jonmarck.

Cheers!

I didn't take your comment as a joke, Moonbeam. I just thought you were being a smartass by ranking the Beatles last, because you know that I'm a Beatles fan and the vote seemed to be made for no other reason than to piss me off. My mistake for misinterpreting the joke? Guess so.

This is a first, but I agree with jonmarck... well, to a point. Insults don't belong here, and I apologize because I've been guilty of one or two recently. I enjoy coming here for the "music-nerdery", and I don't want to be known as an asshole. My only excuse for it is that music is such a personal thing, so it's hard to not take others' comments personally. Not only that, but when I open my mouth, even when I think I'm being completely diplomatic, there's an onslaught of people against me.

Actually, no. It's not the comments that I take personally, it's the lack of comments. Something like "Beige. Yawn." - I have no clue what that means, Moonbeam; it just doesn't tell anyone much. And don't even get me started on "meh" - it's even worse! Because it's the verbal equivalent of shrugging your shoulders, to denote almost a complete indifference. I just don't understand how a person could be indifferent to a classic Beatles tune, OR a classic Stones tune.

Anyway, I guess I need to lighten up. Sorry guys.

Anthony, what is diplomatic about suggesting someone should leave the forum? I've donated money to this place, and I feel that I should have the same rights that everyone else has here. I'm sorry if my opinions stir you up- they're not meant to. Moreover, if I feel indifferent about a "classic" song, that is every bit my right.

About Coldplay, my "beige" comment means that I think they are the musical equivalent of the color beige- boring, neutral and inoffensive. I feel that they appeal to the lowest common denominator and their music seems to be coffee table fodder- stuff to put on display that would arouse much of a murmur from anyone. And don't get me started on their bastardization of Kraftwerk's brilliant "Computer Love"!

That should read, "stuff to put on display that would NOT arouse much of a murmur from anyone."

And as for the Beatles comment, I would have ranked them last regardless of any personal vendetta, which would be completely ridiculous. I simply like the other three songs better!

Anthony, i ask what you wish to accomplish with such comments? i can't think of a single answer that won't make me think less of you as a person. hopefully you can. who are you to recommend who should and shouldn't post on this forum?

if for some reason you actually care about moonbeam's comments, then he's probably commented on them all before in the previous rounds. maybe you should go searching.

Wow. I stay away from the forum for a day and look what happens.

It looks like this thing has pretty well died down, and I don’t wish to stir it up again. In my capacity as Your Moderator, I’ll just second jonmarck’s post from last night, which seems the most deft analysis of this controversy.

I bring this up because I’m pretty sure that Survivor will be rather more likely than bracketology to agitate people. Survivor’s going very well so far, and I really don’t want it to degenerate into name-calling; otherwise, we’ll never get through it.

Viva music-nerdery.