Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bjork help

Bjork is coming to aus for the big day out this year and i'm lucky enought to have ticks.
I don't know much of bjork at all.
Where do I start, whats the best album

Re: Bjork help

I dunno she's a slut

fair enough, anyone with a real answer

I think Moonbeam woke up on the wrong side today.

The best way to experience Björk has to be to start from the beginning and listen to the albums in chronological order. Debut, Post, Homogenic and Vespertine are all amazing albums.

Whatever you do, don't start with Medulla. It's not bad, but way too difficult to begin with.

What the hell? That wasn't me! Björk is one of my favorite artists! Vespertine is my choice. Seems we have an impersonator here!

In reality, all of Björk's albums are worth a listen. Yes, I'm a biased fan, but I can't find a reason to not recommend any of them, other than the peculiar Drawing Restraint 9, which doesn't count. I think it makes sense to follow an artist's chronology, so maybe Debut would be the best place to start. Working through to Vespertine is a great journey!

hi Jimbop

looks like we've got one more Aussie, which makes this country second behind the US in terms of country representation
Concerning Bjork, my favorite album (so far) is Post but I haven't heard Debut yet

cheers guys, I will take Henriks advice and listen in order. I love all her clips and her voice is amazing so I'm getting real excited!
Its so great experiencing an amazing artist for the first time, I remember when I first got into radiohead and it was weeks before I listened to any other band (PLEASE BOYS COME TO AUS)... I hope Bjork comes close to my radiohead experiance (I am however realistic)

Telegram (an album full of Post remixes) is a lot of fun too. But you should wait on that until you get to know Post better.

As for live, I've only seen Bjork and Radiohead once each. So this is not an entirely knowledgable opinion. However, my sense is that with Radiohead, you are going to get the Radiohead experience each and every time (unless, perhaps, Thom Yorke woke up on the wrong side of the bed), and it will be transporting.

Bjork will give you her incredible voice each time, but each tour she has different arrangements/backup musicians behind her. You might see her with a full orchestra one time, and an Inuit choir the next, and an electonica duo the following. (Or you might see her with all of those, as I did at Radio City Music Hall). I haven't been following to see how/whom she is touring with currently... maybe the surprise of it is part of the fun.

There's a Bjork Greatest Hits album out there which is really surprising but it is really good. You can get it through Amazon, Rhapsody or whatever. I like Debut and Post the best but all of her albums are good. I didn't like Volta as much but it's not bad.

But either way, that greatest hits collection has her best songs and is a good introduction even though she is by no means a singles artist.

I don't tend to like greatest hits, albums are made for a reason. Albums are designed to sound great from start to finish, thats how I plan to listen. Thanks anyway though

PS I am relatively new to this site, why can't we make our own accounts?

Jimbop, I can also attest to Björk's live prowess. I have seen her three times, and each time I have been absolutely blown away! I can't wait to see her in January.

Big day out moon???
Should be amazing!

I'm looking forward to her, LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire!

and rage wowowow
lcd are amazing! Love em
great lineup, I also just got my melbourne ticks to see the national, simarlar time to bdo so hopefully they are added to the lineup! Chanel V had an Arcade fire concert on tonight and they look great live.