Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Radiohead, explain

I've listened to these guys so many times and I haven't been able to find a single song I've honestly liked other then the guitar lick at the start of Paranoid Android, I just can't believe there right up there at #19 for acclaimed artist...

Re: Radiohead, explain

yeah man ur right. radiohead sucks and there songs are unpossible to like. bands like nicelback and 3 days grace are so much more better and rock out harder. and whats with that singers crazy eye?

Well I agree about the Radiohead part again, but to be honest I can't agree with Nickelback or 3 Days Grace.
Nickelback just sounds the same in every song and 3 Days Grace just doesn't grab me

Anthony - you are joking right? I don't think 430187324 picked that up - well I'll be honest,this person is the first person I've ever heard who has slammed Radiohead...

"Anthony - you are joking right? I don't think 430187324 picked that up - well I'll be honest,this person is the first person I've ever heard who has slammed Radiohead..."

The people on this forum are the only people I've ever heard liking Radiohead...

REALLY? Man, pretty much EVERYONE my age LOVES Radiohead. Every time some singer covers their song in a bar, even if they perform it terribly, the whole crowd starts chattering about how much they love Radiohead. I've met very few people who grew up in the 90's who do not absolutely love them

The great dilemma: validate idiots or keep your mouth shut about your passion. Hmmm. Well, since jonmarck has poured the gasoline, I might as well drop the match...

Radiohead are only the most acclaimed band of the last decade (or two), and deservedly so. Their music has broken boundaries and transcended pop music norms. They are ranked #19 for a reason, and anybody who doesn't understand why should go back, throw the last six of their studio albums into a CD-changer and listen until they "get it".

A record like Kid A, for example - it may not be what you want, but its what you NEED. It's not rock in an easy-to-swallow capsule, hell, it's not even rock. But it's Radiohead at their disenfranchised best; a band that completely disregarded success in favor of making art. Now, THAT's a band.

I don't like Radiohead either. I don't give a shit if they're acclaimed, I don't enjoy listening to their music. It's artistic, yes, but not art I want to repeatedly subject myself to.

I've never considered Radiohead "art rock". OK Computer is definitely mainstream and everything after that isn't impossible to listen to. It's not like it's whacked out music void of melody or musical talent. The lyrics might be tough to interpret though... But, it's not art rock.

Radiohead most certainly ARE art rock, John. Your definition needs to be updated from the dated "progressive rock" mindset to a more modern view.

Art rock is a term used by some to describe rock music including many experimental structures and is characterized by ambitious or avant-garde lyrical themes and/or melodic, harmonic, or rhythmic experimentation, often extending beyond standard modern popular music forms and genres, toward influences in jazz, classical, world music or the experimental avant-garde.

Radiohead may not be poster-boys of the movement, but they certainly can be classified as such.

Yeah, Anthony, I would say that the worst thing about Radiohead is Thom Yorke's eye. It's just plain gross. The only way I can get over it is by rocking out to Nickelback and 3 Days Grace. At least their singers have symmetric faces.

"The great dilemma: validate idiots or keep your mouth shut about your passion. Hmmm. Well, since jonmarck has poured the gasoline, I might as well drop the match...

Radiohead are only the most acclaimed band of the last decade (or two), and deservedly so. Their music has broken boundaries and transcended pop music norms. They are ranked #19 for a reason, and anybody who doesn't understand why should go back, throw the last six of their studio albums into a CD-changer and listen until they "get it".

A record like Kid A, for example - it may not be what you want, but its what you NEED. It's not rock in an easy-to-swallow capsule, hell, it's not even rock. But it's Radiohead at their disenfranchised best; a band that completely disregarded success in favor of making art. Now, THAT's a band."

I've bought Kid A and OK Computer trying to understand what was so good, but I don't see what's so great, in fact I'd have to be negative and say they're weak.

"Yeah, Anthony, I would say that the worst thing about Radiohead is Thom Yorke's eye. It's just plain gross. The only way I can get over it is by rocking out to Nickelback and 3 Days Grace. At least their singers have symmetric faces."

Lol.

That's a pretty broad genre then. But, I'll buy that.

What's so great is that there's never been music like it and probably never will be again. Both albums are so unique and so equally listenable. Each song is brilliantly written (though I can actually do without Karma Police). It seems so familiar but is constructed in a way no one has ever attempted before or since. Just the cello/guitar intro to Airbag is enough to win me over. Have you ever heard anything as existential as No Surprises? It's the prettiest song ever sung by a robot.

Radiohead are up there because of "OK Computer". Which was an absolutely brilliant album that brought the "art" back in alternative rock again after 20 years of punk values dominating. It's crowded with great songs and great arrangements, and Thom Yorke sings like a God on that album.

After that, it's been more of a hit'n'miss thing, although this year's "In Rainbows" is probably their best since "OK Computer", finally approaching something that can possible be described as proper songs again.