Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Criminal

My Top 10 that I don't own:

3. Nirvana – Nevermind
6. Bob Dylan – Blonde on Blonde
9. Sex Pistols – Never Mind the Bollocks
11. Bob Dylan – Highway 61 Revisited
12. Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced?
13. Van Morrison – Astral Weeks
18. Public Enemy – It Takes A Nation of Millions…
19. Jimi Hendrix Experience – Electric Ladyland
22. Patti Smith – Horses
24. The Beatles – Abbey Road

I haven't picked these up mostly because I've heard most of the songs already. My Dylan collection is severely low, though. All I got is Blood on the Tracks, and it's not too bad at all. Would I like

6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 31, 34, 38, 39, 41, 42, 45, 46, 47, 48, 50, 51, 53, 54, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 71, 72, 73, 75, 81, 82, 84, 86, 87, 88, 89, 91, 92, 93, 95, 96, 99.

they're the ones i'm missing... quick count... yep, less than half.

I don't really think in terms of albums anymore; my music purchases are now almost exclusively online, and on a song-by-song basis.

But I did once have quite the collection...these are the ten most highly-rated albums I have NEVER owned:

17. Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run
20. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon
21. The Doors, The Doors
28. Led Zeppelin, Led Zep IV
32. Massive Attack, Blue Lines
34. The Who, Who's Next
38. The Band, s/t
46. Joy Division, Closer
50. Love, Forever Changes
60. The Strokes, Is This It

Looks like the highest-ranked albums I've never even heard (apart from one song from each) are Blue Lines, Forever Changes, and Layla.

I'm a collector so to not have an album in the top 150 really proves I dislike the album.

22. Patti Smith- Horses
41. Stevie Wonder- Songs in the Key of Life
61. Carole King- Tapestry
86. Eagles- Hotel California
104. Tom Waits- Swordfishtrombones
110. Bruce Springsteen- Darkness on the Edge of Town
111. Aretha Franklin- Lady Soul
123. Tom Waits- Rain Dogs
132. Saturday Night Fever
134. Joni Mitchell- Court and Spark

"I think What's Going On is overrated, Horses really only has the first track (the rest is pretty boring), Forever Changes isn't worth the effort, 3 Feet High and Rising has too much mediocre material and For Your Pleasure and Dusty in Memphis are both albums with a couple great tracks and a lot of crap. "

Thanks, jonmarck. I like What's Goin' On, but it's more of a top 100 than a top 10 for me, and Dusty is more of a top 500 than a top 100 for me. The other criticisms are spot on...especially for Horses.

I've actually made a conscious effort to get some of the top ranked albums, so out of the top 100 I'm missing After the Goldrush, Blue, Closer, There's a Riot Goin' On, Zeppelin II, Transformer, Hotel California, Fun House, Imagine and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

And my opinion is that you should get Loveless of all the one's you're missing Midaso. It's pretty awesome and very unique.

Yeah I'm the same as John - I just collect up as many as possible,whether I'll like them or not - but I forgot Marquee Moon - I really want that but only have 3 tracks off it.

36 U2 The Joshua Tree 1987
37 Miles Davis Kind of Blue 1959
39 James Brown Live at the Apollo 1963
47 The Stone Roses The Stone Roses 1989
54 Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band Trout Mask Replica 1969
62 Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction 1987
66 Led Zeppelin II 1969
73 The Band Music from Big Pink 1968
78 Oasis (What's the Story) Morning Glory? 1995
80 U2 Achtung, Baby 1991
83 Oasis Definitely Maybe 1994
84 Aretha Franklin I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You 1967
85 Radiohead The Bends 1995
93 Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti 1975
95 John Lennon Imagine 1971
96 Dusty Springfield Dusty in Memphis 1969
98 Simon and Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water 1970
99 Iggy and The Stooges Raw Power 1973
100 Pink Floyd The Piper at the Gates of Dawn 1967

From the top 100 these are the ones I'm missing:

26. Prince - Sign 'O' the Times
54. Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
82. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
97. Kraftwerk - Trans-Europa Express

The only one I really feel pressed to get is Psychocandy. I think I can wait on the other three.

I'm missing the following albums:

21 The Doors - The Doors
22 Patti Smith - Horses
56 Otis Redding - Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul
62 Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
64 Pixies - Doolittle
77 Pixies - Surfer Rosa
78 Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
80 U2 - Achtung, Baby
83 Oasis - Definitely Maybe
84 Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
86 The Eagles - Hotel California
88 The White Stripes - Elephant
90 Jeff Buckley - Grace
98 Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

It's highly unlikely that I'll ever pick any of these up - for the most part I don't really like these particular artists enough to buy their records. The exceptions are Otis Redding (I have a pretty comprehensive compilation that gives me all the Otis I need) and Aretha (I'll pick up that album one of these days).

The last two posts kind of are surprising. First, Jonmarck have you listened to the Kraftwerk album much? I'm not that big into electronic music or Krautrock and that album is amazing. Just wondering if you actually have tried to get into it or just have never really had the urge to pick it up. I'm not trying to be a jackass or anything, I'm just wondering.

Next, I don't think this makes sense at all, but I was surprised to see two Pixies albums on a list of someone who's screenname pays homage to Can. I know they aren't really similar but both were kind of the "hip" alternative band in their respective decade.

Yeah, aside from Hotel California and Appetite for Destruction I'd say that all on Damosuzuki's list are essential.

I actually haven't heard that Kraftwerk album. I just lumped it in with all the other early electronica stuff. You know the type I mean: it sounded brilliant and futuristic at the time but is just really embarrassing, outdated and boring nowadays. Maybe I'll give it an extra bit of effort since it's so recommended.

Regarding the Pixies - I can't really say much more than state that they don't do much for me. I always found their music rather dull, plodding and unimaginative - the polar opposite of Can, I would say, who were a group whose music was practically bursting at the seams with ideas. I know people love The Pixies, and their presence on the list doesn't offend me or anything. I just find them to be a little grey.

Jonmark, the same statement could be applied to any of the other acts I'm missing. I'm familiar with all of them and I absolutely never listen to their music, barring the two exceptions I noted earlier. I don't think those acts or worthless or anything - they're just outside the boundaries of things I tend to enjoy.

In fact, if I was to be truly accurate, I would have to extend my list because I did not include any of the albums from the top 100 that I traded in or gave away to friends after I tired of them. I figure you could add at least 16 more records to that list if I were to include those.

I figured that since I made the statement above, I might as well follow through and post the 16 albums I've discarded from my collection:

3 Nirvana - Nevermind
9 Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks - Here's the Sex Pistols
10 The Clash - London Calling
14 Radiohead - OK Computer
16 David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
17 Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
30 The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
32 Massive Attack - Blue Lines
36 U2 - The Joshua Tree
44 R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
47 The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
52 The Clash - The Clash
55 Beck - Odelay
59 David Bowie - Hunky Dory
60 The Strokes - Is This It

These are the albums I don’t own from the Top 100:

45. JONI MITCHELL “Blue”
61. CAROLE KING “Tapestry”
68. JOHN COLTRANE “A Love Supreme”
73. THE BAND “Music from Big Pink”
84. ARETHA FRANKLIN “I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You”
89. ELVIS COSTELLO “My Aim Is True”
93. LED ZEPPELIN “Physical Graffiti”
96. DUSTY SPRINGFIELD “Dusty in Memphis”
97. KRAFTWERK “Trans-Europa Express”

I never bought some of them but I own for years a tape recorded by some friend that I've listened a lot (so the purchase is no priority at all, the case of King, Costello, Zeppelin and Kraftwerk). But some cases are “criminal” as Midaso said, particularly the three ladies (Mitchell-Franklin-Springfield). I’ve looked for the Joni Mitchell “Blue” album in many record stores in my city but I never found it. Maybe I should purchase it on-line…

I have 59 I haven't owned from the top 100 and 58 I haven't owned from #101-200. I will have to waste more time to look at the list and see if my sampling from other tiers is equal.

Hmmm. I'm missing 20 albums.....from the top 400.

Top 100 complete. The first one I'm missing is

169 Mothers Of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money

Not a Zappa fan.

My three first misses are "A nation of millions" (18), Led Zep IV (28) and "Thriller" (33).

I've played other people's copies of LZ IV to pieces, though - and come to think of it, my girlfriend possesses a vinyl copy of Thriller, so it's in the household.

I guess should hurry out and fill that embarassing Public enemy gap.

Concerning Patti Smith, Horses: I guess it's a female case of the Bob Dylan syndrome. She admittedly is not very varied, but once that voice gets to you ...