Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bracketology Round 2: Week 1

Time to get back into this

BRACKET A:

1. “You Really Got Me” - Snotty and revolutionary… the rest of the songs are solid, but in this higher round I’ll be picking ones that, rather than merely sounding great, seem to be signifying some new philosophy of music. If that makes any sense.

2. “Bittersweet Symphony” – That being said this song is infectious. It opened to gateway to some incredibly good non self-loathing rock anthems in the late 1990s

3. “Ziggy Stardust” – Over half of the songs from this album stand alone as amazing, this is one of them but nothing monemental, just a good representative of the killer songs on the album.

4. “Sympathy for the Devil” – Somehow this song made it. I’ve said it before, I’m tired of hearing it.

BRACKET B:

1. “Walk on the Wild Side” – So cool and different. Lou Reed going into the decadent seventies with his underground attitude still intact.

2. “Like a Rolling Stone” – Amazing how this song lasts so long and never lets up. I never go out of my way to listen to it regularly (like most Dylan) but have to give it respect and try to not let it’s #1 standing influence me.

3. “Light My Fire” – Organ solo! It sounds a little too dated sometimes, but it’s all right.

4. “Superstition” – I try to sing this song but all I usually remember is the beginning groove. Killer groove though.

BRACKET C:

1. “Stairway to Heaven” – I’ve got to stop being so rebellious and just pick the ultimate songs as my favorites. Compared to the others, nothing is an epic or sweeping as this one. And I avoid listening to it so often it sounds fresh to my ears when I do hear it.

2. “In the Midnight Hour” – I just imagine waiting until the late hours in a smoky dirty city to have a good time with a hot lady with this song. Delivered with soul as thick as syrup.

3. “Summertime Blues” - ‘I love to help you son, but you’re too young to vote’… ha ha. Summer is when young people on school schedules get to truly unwind but this song captures the limitations of juvenile activities. Excellent.

4. “Nothing Compares 2 U” – Not a memorable song for me.

BRACKET D:

1. “Rock Around the Clock” – They’re all good, but this one began it all, and is still as listenable and relevant as old blues recordings that preceded it.

2. “I Get Around” - While Bill Haley established rock, Beach Boys solidified pop as we appreciate it today, and this wonderful song just layers on the happiness.
3. “Paint it Black” – A better Stones song, tired because of it’s use in every movie soundtrack dealing with ‘dark’ elements.

4. “Johnny B. Goode” – Fine song, but a little overworn for me. Kind of just taking Rock Around the Block to a slightly higher level.

BRACKET A
1. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - Great song!
2. The Kinks, “You Really Got Me” - What can I say? They really got me wih this song full of energy.
3. The Verve, “Bittersweet Symphony” - It's beautiful, it has bitter and sweet tones in it.
4. David Bowie, “Ziggy Stardust” - I hate to put Bowie last, but what a competition.

BRACKET B
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - Bob rules.
2. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” - Classic. It's a swinging song.
3. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition” - Makes me move and wanna dance now.
4. The Doors, “Light My Fire” - This sounds good.

BRACKET C
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - this song builds up to a great climax.
2. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” - Great song about loss of love.
3. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” - Fun song! Really uplifting.
4. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” - Someone has to be last.

BRACKET D
1. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” - A vey good Stones song beats the rest.
2. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” - Sunshine! Let's surf!
3. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Again an uplifting song. Let's dance!
4. Bill Haley and His Comets, “Rock Around the Clock” - Historical important. A bit boring now.

BRACKET A
1. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” – Rivaled only by “Gimme Shelter” as the Stones’ masterpiece, I think, and the more musically adventurous of the two, with its slow-building arrangement. Jimmy Miller’s production makes Keith’s solo sound like fingernails scraping a blackboard, only enjoyable to listen to, while pianist Nicky Hopkins proves to be the -real- demon driving the proceedings.
2. The Kinks, “You Really Got Me” – One of rock’s most brilliant debut singles, and a devious act of smart-guy-plays-dumb deception: could anyone hearing this in ’64 remotely imagine that Ray Davies had a VILLAGE GREEN or an ARTHUR in him?
3. David Bowie, “Ziggy Stardust” – Bowie accomplished so much -after- the Spiders disbanded that I don’t think he and Mick Ronson get enough recognition as one of the all-time frontman-and-guitar duos. Ronson kept Bowie’s flights of fancy grounded in blissful four-on-the-floor guitar buzz. If “Ziggy” was paired up here with “Suffragette City” as it usually is on the radio, it would be #2.
4. The Verve, “Bittersweet Symphony” – Even more so than in Round 1, that pesky “something has to be #4” rule is going to hurt. Here’s the first victim, a defining piece of late ‘90s art that lands here simply because I like it slightly less than its bracketmates.

BRACKET B
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” – It’s #1 on the main list, and I would not be at all surprised to see it take Bracketology as well. It’s one of those songs that doesn’t sound like something someone actually sat down and wrote – it’s a goddamn force of nature, and everyone on the session that day seemed to know it, right down to a guy who had never played the organ before somehow trusting that he’d know exactly what to do, and being right.
2. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition” – Another GFN (goddamn force of nature). How many other songs not by Led Zeppelin can be so quickly identified from a simple drumbeat? Stevie’s early-to-mid-‘70s run rivals anybody’s, but even amidst such a stunning body of work this record is the standout. Some of the best horn lines ever recorded.
3. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” – And here’s one that’s instantly identifiable by its (incredibly simple) bassline. An ultimate cult legend’s gloriously improbable moment in the Top 40 spotlight.
4. The Doors, “Light My Fire” – SH2B4 (something has to be #4). Sorry, Lizard King.

BRACKET C
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” – Yeah, it’s as overplayed as #4 in Bracket B and then some, but it’s still an easy #1 here. Every time I hear it, I marvel anew at how a song that’s already on the path to greatness via its intricate arrangement suddenly becomes phenomenally exciting with the simple entrance of Mr. J. Bonham. Then Page’s guitars suddenly explode with shimmering electricity and it becomes something else altogether.
2. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” – Next to #1 (and most other records, really), this one is simplicity itself – basically just keyboard, drum and a vocal that’s ethereal and passionately soulful at the same time. One of the greatest covers of all time, and the ironic high point of a highly original career.
3. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” – Simplicity squared. Timelessly truthful and funny.
4. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” – SH2B4. I’d just rather hear #3 most of the time.

BRACKET D
1. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” – An all-oldies bracket. This one may not be as historically influential as #2 or #4, but I think it’s a better record, with gleaming harmonies and a highly unorthodox chord structure. Even this early, Brian Wilson was showing anyone paying attention how sophisticated so-called “teen music” could be.
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” – Berry at his most iconic, as both guitarist and songwriter. What else is there to say?
3. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” – An unusual, brooding hit single, with alternating all-tension and all-release sections bridged by one of Charlie Watts’ most dynamic performances.
4. Bill Haley and His Comets, “Rock Around the Clock” – No apologetic acronym needed here; I have no trouble at all placing this last. A fine record, certainly, but elevated far beyond its actual quality by virtue of being there first.

BRACKET A
1. David Bowie, “Ziggy Stardust” - What a fine Bowie gem this is
2. The Verve, “Bittersweet Symphony” - I love the strings
3. The Kinks, “You Really Got Me” - A very powerful song, but it sorta gets stuck in the chorus.
4. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - It's just not a personal fave

BRACKET B
1. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” - Without a doubt, Lou's finest moment. I think I would have more doubts about VU over the years if it wasn't for this song.
2. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition” - Supergroovy
3. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - Really hard between 2-4 here, I decided to put Bob in the middle.
4. The Doors, “Light My Fire” - I love the Doors, but this competition was too hard.

BRACKET C
1. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” - Stunning song and performance
2. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - I have decided that yes, it deserves its classic status.
3. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” - Really good Blues/R'n'R fusion
4. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” - Awesome #4's this week...

BRACKET D
1. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Chuck is my hero
2. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” - This Spanish-flavoured song is definitely among their best? Why didn't they do more like this?
3. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” - One of their most enjoyable songs. I can't really say what it lacks compared to the above two.
4. Bill Haley and His Comets, “Rock Around the Clock” - Again, an amazing #4. It's not silly. Just a little too silly to have to be at the end here.

BRACKET A
1.The Rolling Stones, "Sympathy For The Devil" - The tribal drums, the slow and steady buildup, the cynical lyrics. This is The Rolling Stones assuredly at the top of their game
2.The Verve, "Bittersweet Symphony" - Yet again, The Rolling Stones find a way to sneak themselves in the same ballot as themselves again. The hypnotizing orchestration in the beginning is "the last time" backward. For six minutes, the orchestration keeps hypnotizing us as Richard Ashcroft's voice takes hold.
3.The Kinks, "You Really Got Me" - Pure energy. That's all i have to say
4.David Bowie, "Ziggy Stardust" - This isn't easy, because Ziggy is a good song, but just not to the level of the others

BRACKET B
1.Bob Dylan, "Like A Rolling Stone" - I've been listening to this one a lot lately, and it's easy to tell why its one of, if not the, greatest song(s) ever made. How it just keeps building up in frustration, and every time he says "how doesw it feel?", it hits harder every time.
2.Stevie Wonder, "Superstititon" - This one is smooth and funky, with that Stevie Wonder classic vibe felt in.
3.Lou Reed, "Walk on the Wild Side" - Very catchy and minimalistic, well what else do you expect from Lou Reed? It's controversial lyrics kind of pale in comparison to the catchy "Do Do-Do" chorus.
4.The Doors, "Light My Fire" - Now don't get me wrong, The Doors are great and all, but Light My Fire has never been my cup of tea. If it was The End instead, then it would be a different story.

BRACKET C
1.Led Zeppelin, "Stairway To Heaven" - It may be overplayed, but it's a classic nonetheless, and you just have to love the payoff at the end.
2.Sinéad O'Connor, "Nothing Compares 2 U" - It's hard find a song that finds emotion as well as this one does. Proof that even Prince's lesser songs can be made into something much better. Just wait for Arcade Fire's "It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night" ;) .
3.Wilson Pickett, "In The Midnight Hour" - Raw Rock and Roll, very balladeque as well. Wilson sings with such power and assurance.
4.Eddie Cochran, "Summertime Blues" - Limp in comparison to The Who's cover.

BRACKET D
1.The Rolling Stones, "Paint It, Black" - This one is tied for my favorite Stones song along with "Gimme Shelter". The Stones before this were the "satisfaction" band, in here, they show darkness and depression. After "Paint It, Black", they weren't just another British Invasion band.
2.Chuck Berry, "Johnny B. Goode" - Johnny B. Goode may be the defining rock and roll song. It's just so free and reckless.
3.The Beach Boys, "I Get Around" - I love Pet Sounds era Beach Boys, and I really don't like "Beach" era Beach Boys. But this one is an exception, with it's harmonizing vocals on the chorus and its almost narrative verses. Makes you look at that whole way in a different way.
4.Bill Haley and His Comets, "Rock Around The Clock" - It's probably more legendary for what it stood for than the actual music itself. Interesting. It's good, but just not as good as the other three.

I was hoping we could follow the NCAA-Tournament style here and vote off one song per pair! But this is probably more fair.

BRACKET A: Four strong songs, but nothing that really wows me.

1. David Bowie- "Ziggy Stardust"- not even close to my favorite on its album, but this is still ultra-cool and a genuine anthem.

2. The Kinks- "You Really Got Me"- gritty, dirty, sleazy rock at its core.

3. The Verve- "Bittersweet Symphony"- powerful and emotive for sure!

4. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”- one of their best songs. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a Stones guy.

BRACKET B: 3 songs I love and one I don't

1. Stevie Wonder- "Superstition"- I'm a funkster at heart, and this delivers it so, so well.

2. The Doors- "Light My Fire"- I prefer its flip side "The Crystal Ship", but there's no denying the allure here.

3. Lou Reed- "Walk on the Wild Side"- It hurts to put this at number 3. It would have won Bracket A and Bracket D had it been placed there.

4. Bob Dylan- "Like a Rolling Stone"- I know this must seem ass-backwards, but this song is out of its league here for me.

BRACKET C- only one song I like here

1. Sinead O'Connor- "Nothing Compares 2 U"- shits all over any Prince version of this. You all must know that is quite the statement coming from me.

2. Wilson Pickett- "In the Midnight Hour"- Merely pleasant.

3. Led Zeppelin- "Stairway to Heaven"- Overblown and overcooked.

4. Eddie Cochran- "Summertime Blues"- Downright annoying.

BRACKET D- yawn

1. Chuck Berry- “Johnny B. Goode”- Wins a very weak bracket for me. It's good, but doesn't blow me away like it should.

2. The Rolling Stones- "Paint It, Black"- not as good as "Sympathy for the Devil", but it ranks 2nd here due to my distaste for the remaining songs.

3. The Beach Boys- "I Get Around"- If only this bracket contained "God Only Knows" and could have a winner I want to back.

4. Bill Haley and His Comets- "Rock Around the Clock"- I'm too young for that shit.

After lurking all Round 1, I decided to finally put my $0.02 in.

BRACKET A

1. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” - the "wooh wooh!"s are priceless.

2. The Kinks, “You Really Got Me” - Sanjaya couldn't even make this catchy one unlistenable.

3. David Bowie, “Ziggy Stardust” - Ziggy plays guitar? Something about spiders? I don't get it but I like it.

4. The Verve, “Bittersweet Symphony” - not bad though so overrated.

BRACKET B

1. The Doors, “Light My Fire” - the keyboard solo is NOT too long. Definitely the long version.

2. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition” - too damn funky. Don't forget that Stevie's playing all the instruments on here.

3. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” - THE most overrated song of the 20th century. I much prefer Blood on the Tracks Dylan.

4. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” - spawned the hip-hop classic "Can I Kick It?" I was never that moved by Lou Reed's monotone voice.

BRACKET C

1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” - just a perfect epic song. Some of Robert Plant's best lyrics.

2. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” - Sinead does Prince's genius justice. I'm really mad I can't make this #1.

3. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” - from an underrated figure of soul music.

4. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” - I don't enjoy rockabilly nearly as much as I appreciate it.

BRACKET D

1. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” - deliciously sinister with an Eastern flavor.

2. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” - one of the best of the early Beach Boys. Brilliant harmonies.

3. Bill Haley and His Comets, “Rock Around the Clock” - typical chord progression.

4. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - at least this stuff created the Beatles.